Good Places To Eat In Chiang Mai

astral

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We found a little Isaan gem last night called "Isaan One Million Percent'..

My wife and i have been waiting patiently for this one to appear (even though it was probably there during the last Burmese invasion, i wouldn't know.

Great gai yang, muu yang (really great naam jiim), nuea naam tok, laap's, tom saep, never tried the som tam funnily enough. They have all the other Issan staples as well.

We had 6 people feast on 280 bahts worth..

Gotta love this place.

Opposite the main entrance to CMU on Huay Kaew Rd.

We tried the above place a couple of months ago as a change from our favourite, Gai Yang Ubon and were very disappointed. We may have just been unlucky but if someone will tell me how to insert neat maps with pretty yellow push pins in my posts, I'll direct you to ours.

if someone will tell me how to insert neat maps with pretty yellow push pins in my posts, I'll direct you to ours.

The maps are courtesy of Google Earth - you can also use Google Map. To find the software do a search for the names - could try using Google if you get stuck :o

Google Map for Thailand is in Thai which limits its use if you can't read it but Google Earth shows a satelite image of the area and is pretty intuitive.

CB

My wife and i have been waiting patiently for this one to appear (even though it was probably there during the last Burmese invasion, i wouldn't know.

Great gai yang, muu yang (really great naam jiim), nuea naam tok, laap's, tom saep, never tried the som tam funnily enough. They have all the other Issan staples as well.

Gotta love this place.

We tried the above place a couple of months ago as a change from our favourite, Gai Yang Ubon and were very disappointed. We may have just been unlucky but if someone will tell me how to insert neat maps with pretty yellow push pins in my posts, I'll direct you to ours.

The Isaan restaurant just across from the entrance to Siam TV is also very good . I don't recall the name, sorry.

Is Lung Jit Restaurant still there, and if not, any other Southern Thai in Northern Thailand suggestion? I think I ate at this place ages ago and I remember it was better than the food I found in Southern Thailand.

from http://chanchao.fotopages.com/?&page=7

Southern Thai Food / Lung Jit

Lung Jit Restaurant

Just order by pointing at stuff

Proper Southern fare, with LOTS of raw vegetables for cooling..

View all 6 photos...

Probably one of the best restaurants serving Southern Thai food is Phuket Laikhram, see this review. It's however a bit more of the Chinese style southern food like you'd actually find in Phuket town, and not the hard-core seriously spicy curry stuff. I think that type of food deserves mention of its own. I'm not entirely sure this place here is one of the best in Chiang Mai, but it is authentic, has good variety and is definitely very very spicy, as in: spicy by Thai food standards..

I've tried a few Southern Thai places the past few weeks, and they all seem to have one thing in common: operators try to warn a Western looking visitor about the spicy food, suggest non spicy dishes or even try to discourage him ordering some of the spicier stuff! 0) So bring some level of determination if you want to sample the spiciest of foods..

I'm still looking for 'The Ultimate Southern Thai' food in Chiang Mai, do comment if you know of a place, but for now this one will do. It's called 'Lung Jit' and is on Arak Road, this is the road along the city moat, on the inside, 100-200 meters after passing Hua Rin Corner and just before you get to the first U-turn that would lead you to Ram Hospital.

Edited by Jingthing

Gotta love this place.

I'm sure you have the wrong place (or haven't a clue about Isaan food). The 5 Thais that ate with me swear it's possibly the best Isaan food other than Isaan itself.

One mans meat another's poison i guess.

BTW. I lived in Ubon Ratchathani (Warin Chamrap actually)for over a year and it's as good as any there. :o

Edited by Austhaied

If you like French or gourmet cuisine, but think that in Chiang Mai it is vastly overpriced for the quality available, try St. Germain des Pres which is almost across the street from the original Mike's Hamburgers (4/1 Ratwithi Road, behind the bank on Moon Muang Road).

They offer a choice of several set items on a menu that changes completely once a month and if you want a starter, main course and desert, it works out to just below 500 baht.

I've eaten there twice and everything that I had ranged from good to excellent.

Personally, I will skip The House and Mi Casa for food that is just as good, but about 1/2 to 1/3 the price!

If you like French or gourmet cuisine, but think that in Chiang Mai it is vastly overpriced for the quality available, try St. Germain des Pres which is almost across the street from the original Mike's Hamburgers (4/1 Ratwithi Road, behind the bank on Moon Muang Road).

They offer a choice of several set items on a menu that changes completely once a month and if you want a starter, main course and desert, it works out to just below 500 baht.

I've eaten there twice and everything that I had ranged from good to excellent.

Personally, I will skip The House and Mi Casa for food that is just as good, but about 1/2 to 1/3 the price!

I was there last night for the 2nd time, and yes, the food is very good indeed ( I have tried the "Magret de canard" and the " Boeuf bourguignon"), traditional French food for a reasonable price. Service was also very good and the owners are very friendly...I just wish they had a wider wine choice, but I guess that will come with time.

Try it... Almost as good as the "Soliles" was, but unfortunately they closed a few months ago...

Phil

Lately I've been enjoying the Isan fare at Sabaijai Kai Yang on Huay Kaew Rd, just N of the intersection with Th Sirimangkhalajon. Quick service, low prices, very good grilled chicken, somtam, bamboo shoot salad, tom saep, laap, you name the Isan dish and they most likely have it.

(Despite the name, I have no affiliation other than as a frequent customer :o)

@pilou

Les Soliles, was this the french restaurant in a small soi, when walking down Tapae Rd coming from the Tapae gate, on the left hand side?

The last time I tried to eat there, it was only open for dinner. But I'm not surprised. The low season this year was very hard for everybody running a bar or restaurant. And in the case of Les Soliles, although it was rather hidden, they didn't make any promotion for it.

It's really a pity, because it was only the only place I knew, where one could have a decent french menu for less than 500 B.

Edited by cnxmike

Les Soliles, was this the french restaurant in a small soi, when walking down Tapae Rd coming from the Tapae gate, on the left hand side?

Yes, that was the one..

The last time I tried to eat there, it was only open for dinner. But I'm not surprised. The low season this year was very hard for everybody running a bar or restaurant. And in the case of Les Soliles, although it was rather hidden, they didn't make any promotion for it.

They have closed for many months now. It was , to me ( and I believe I have tried them all...), the best French restaurant in Chiangmai. Even the french fries were unusually enjoyable...

The St Germain is another nice place, not quite a match yet, but close enough .

Of course, Le Crystal and Le Coq d'Or are also serving very good food, but they play in another league

Phil

My friend who's too shy to post on this thread just called to say that my recommendation of Buonissimo's was very well received by him (he's English), his Aussie friend, and a northern Thai. He's not picky about food, nor am I, but he said that both the cheese and tomato sauce on the pizza could have had more flavor. The olive oil was just okay but the basalmic vinegar was an excellent choice. The reasonably priced wine was okay (Cabarnet something or other).

I'm determined to learn some more street names or leave the country. :o

A heads up for breakfast fans and those, like me, who can't get the hang of Thai/Asian morning fare:

I've just had breakfast at Bake & Bite on Chang Klan Road - bl00dy excellent!! Thoroughly recommended - I haven't been there for a few months and I have never been there without a hangover (until today)! Muffins, waffles, pancakes, Potato pancakes, omelettes, muesli, veggie options, super-sugar-charged options and loads more - it's going to take me some time and effort to work through the menu but I'm looking forward to it.

The menu had quite a few new items on it - the lady I spoke with told me the menu was changed about six weeks ago.

They are also pushing some strange minority festival at the moment - Thanksgiving, I think that's what they called it. The menu for that looked great and reminded me to get ready to order Christmas fodder from them again this year.

JxP

So good I tried it twice! Yesterday, eggs Benedict very nice, no idea if it was 'right' or 'wrong' as I think the last time I had that dish was about 20 years ago! Today, scrambled eggs, smoked salmon, fried bread, again very nice. Fresh brewed coffee and fresh squeezed OJ. Quite busy today but still fast, friendly service.

JxP

I have heard a lot about Sunnie's lately, so I went and checked it out for lunch. Everyone I know says it has the cheapest, good quality farang food in Chiang Mai.

Great sandwiches for 30 baht. Oatmeal cookies for 6 baht. Salads. Soup. Very cheap fresh juices and smoothies. Breakfasts and a special for lunch every day. Everything is delish and inexpensive.

Today I had the filling BBQ rib special with a salad and German potato salad. The special changes every weekday and is 85 baht.

Sunnie's

12/5 Thapae Road, Soi 2

phone # 053 516 4500

Very near Veerachai Court

I'm putting this on the permanant food thread so it will be easier to find. :o

I have heard a lot about Sunnie's lately, so I went and checked it out for lunch. Everyone I know says it has the cheapest, good quality farang food in Chiang Mai.

Great sandwiches for 30 baht. Oatmeal cookies for 6 baht. Salads. Soup. Very cheap fresh juices and smoothies. Breakfasts and a special for lunch every day. Everything is delish and inexpensive.

Today I had the filling BBQ rib special with a salad and German potato salad. The special changes every weekday and is 85 baht.

Sunnie's

12/5 Thapae Road, Soi 2

phone # 053 516 4500

Very near Veerachai Court

I'm putting this on the permanant food thread so it will be easier to find. :o

I'd been hearing good things about this place as well and tried it today - BLT and a banana shake for 55baht - very good value for money. There wasn't any obvious signage regarding specials though. Probably not a destination restaurant for me but will definetly eat there again if passing that way.

On another note I noticed that there's a new Indian restaurant opening soon in the area around the salsa kitchen and reggae bars at the back of rajawiti, named the Royal Indian, they have a small hole in the wall place on the main street at the moment haven't tried it yet, maybe tonight.

Went for the inaugural BBQ at Tuskers yesterday - it looks like it's going to be a weekly fixture now with set price all you can eat deals.

The salads were good, I really enjoyed the kebabs, Mrs JxP couldn't get enough of the ribs and little miss junior JxP was very taken with the fish.

I'm pretty sure that Chas said that there will be a fixed price all you can eat deal and - get this - a fixed price all you can eat AND drink deal!! Fairly sure the hours of service are 14:00 to 21:00 no doubt I'll be corrected fairly promptly if I've got any of that wrong!

Tuskers really lends itself to a great BBQ atmosphere - I plan to while away quite a few Sunday afternoons there.

JxP (not on commission - just suitably impressed with the place!!!)

A heads up for breakfast fans and those, like me, who can't get the hang of Thai/Asian morning fare:

I've just had breakfast at Bake & Bite on Chang Klan Road - bl00dy excellent!! Thoroughly recommended - I haven't been there for a few months and I have never been there without a hangover (until today)! Muffins, waffles, pancakes, Potato pancakes, omelettes, muesli, veggie options, super-sugar-charged options and loads more - it's going to take me some time and effort to work through the menu but I'm looking forward to it.

This place has been mentioned a couple times recently... somebody said in another post that it was at Chang Klan Plaza. Went by there this morning and couldn't find a trace of it. Other threads seemed to mention a "main branch", meaning there might be more than one location.

I did a Google search and couldn't find much.

Can somebody please do me a huge favor and walk me on to the target?

Thanks!

Do you know the Chang Klan Road and Sri Don Chai Road intersection with the big - former movie theatre buiding? If you are following the traffic on Chang Klan Road, you go South on Chang Klan Road past the intersection and the main branch of Bake and Bite is in the next block on the left - across from Georgio's - with a small parking lot in back.

Do you know the Chang Klan Road and Sri Don Chai Road intersection with the big - former movie theatre buiding? If you are following the traffic on Chang Klan Road, you go South on Chang Klan Road past the intersection and the main branch of Bake and Bite is in the next block on the left - across from Georgio's - with a small parking lot in back.

Thanks, UG, I know where Giorgio's is so I can find it now... looking forward to a breakfast there, as well as a T-Giving dinner.

Thanks, UG, I know where Giorgio's is so I can find it now... looking forward to a breakfast there, as well as a T-Giving dinner.

Found it. Had a great breakfast this morning. The pork sausage was real, not a miniature, tasteless wiener. Coffee was among the best I have found in Chiang Mai. Only complaint was the hash browns-a bit too greasy, and didn't really like the onions in the mix. Might try to ask for no onions next time, but the mix is probably pre-prepared and unfeasible to make some just for one order.

Anyway, this place definitely has my return business. Thanks UG for the recommendation.

No problem.

Sojos is another place with great breakfasts. Just around the corner, behind Pantip Plaza on Sri Don Chai road (closed temporarily for renovations).

Until I read your post I never realised that was Sojo's :o I used to go there when I lived behind the Anusan Markets and it had a good breakfast but last time I went I thought the quality had dropped and the price increased. It used to be one of the few places in CM to get decent coffee made by someone who knew what they were doing. Over the last few years however every second shop is now selling coffee, massage, and "cheap DVDs"

One of the things I liked there was the banana pancake. It was about a cm thick and was the size of a dinner plate. Get two fried eggs on top and cover the lot with maple syrup. Two cups of coffee and you are set for the day.

The syrup they used was the real deal and they had to stop putting bottles of it on the table because people kept stealing them. They changed over to putting the syrup in a small jug but there was enough to flood the pancake.

CB

The beloved one and I were in town the other day and she was hungry - well she hadn't eaten for two hours to that is understandable :o

I took her to the Raan Gai bbq on Th. Boonruangrit near the Rama 1 Hospital. It is next door to the 7-11. The place has in my opinion one of the best BBQ in Thailand. It is the Portuguese dressed out style ie the rib cage has been removed and the chicken cooked flat over charcoal. They use a nice mix of spices on the chicken and it is marinated over night. I used to go there regularly but hadn't ever taken the girl. We had a whole chicken (she managed to eat 80% of that) Som Tam - warning I like it phet (spicy) breow (sour) and they take that litterally. It is very good but if you like crab and blah rah (fermented fish paste) - Isaan style you will need to tell them. They don't do it as standard. Also had the bbq beef which is sliced into thin pieces, sticky rice, a bottle of water and a coke. Price 160Baht which I think is good value.

The girl ate her fill and liked it so much we went back for lunch today.

They do a very tasty catfish salad but I think you need to go with a group of four to have that and the chicken etc. It is too much for a couple even if one can eat her own weight in chicken and som tam :D

CB

No problem.

Sojos is another place with great breakfasts. Just around the corner, behind Pantip Plaza on Sri Don Chai road (closed temporarily for renovations).

Until I read your post I never realised that was Sojo's :o I used to go there when I lived behind the Anusan Markets and it had a good breakfast but last time I went I thought the quality had dropped and the price increased. It used to be one of the few places in CM to get decent coffee made by someone who knew what they were doing. Over the last few years however every second shop is now selling coffee, massage, and "cheap DVDs"

One of the things I liked there was the banana pancake. It was about a cm thick and was the size of a dinner plate. Get two fried eggs on top and cover the lot with maple syrup. Two cups of coffee and you are set for the day.

The syrup they used was the real deal and they had to stop putting bottles of it on the table because people kept stealing them. They changed over to putting the syrup in a small jug but there was enough to flood the pancake.

CB

The best American sourdough bisquits around, buttermilk pancakes, omelettes, copies of Egg Mcmuffins. I wish that they would hurry and re-open that branch. It should be soon.

Gotta love this place.

I'm sure you have the wrong place (or haven't a clue about Isaan food). The 5 Thais that ate with me swear it's possibly the best Isaan food other than Isaan itself.

One mans meat another's poison i guess.

BTW. I lived in Ubon Ratchathani (Warin Chamrap actually)for over a year and it's as good as any there. :D

I was at CMU yesterday and went to check if the place that my girlfriend and I visited was the one you were in raptures about and surprisingly it was so I guess they must have had a very off day.

BTW. My girlfriend lived near Ubon Ratchatani for over twenty years and prounced the Som Tam in Isaan One Million Percent "mai arroy" so it's probably just as well that you skipped it and although I haven't a clue about Isaan food, I do know a great gai yang when I have one and mine was severely wanting. As I said, probably just a blip in their system but as you clearly know a lot more about Isaan food than me please give this one a try and let us know what you think. :o

Gai Yang Ubon: Google Earth is downloading at a snail's pace so I'll try plain directions... Heading north on the outside of the Suandok Gate leg of the moat pass Ram Hospital and keep straight on at the Huay Kaew Rd junction (or if approaching from Huay Kaew Rd turn left as you hit the moat). Keep straight on this road until it ends in a T juction, turn right and then immediately left into a new small shopping street. Proceed to the end of this (about 30 meters), turn left and Gai Yang Ubon is just on your left. You can't miss it - smell the chicken and see the motos parked outside.

Gotta love this place.

The Isaan restaurant just across from the entrance to Siam TV is also very good . I don't recall the name, sorry.

Kaen Chai. Pretty good place, very friendly owner.

No problem.

The Sojos behind Panthip Plaza has re-opened and is no longer doing breakfast food and the lunch time menu is a bit of a snooze.

They have lost at least one customer, ME! :o

Luckily, Bake and Bite is just around the corner. :D

Edited by Ulysses G.