Good Places To Eat In Chiang Mai

astral

Jeez, I cant believe that no one has mentioned Mike's hamburgers near the moat.

I think it is the best hamburger in Thailand. I live in Bkk and Mikes is usually one of my first stops when I visit Chiangmai. You have to tell the chef-gals to hold the cheese until they they serve the burger else the cheese melts and has no taste. Mmm looking forward to my next visit in March. I wish there was a branch in Bangkok.

yes I know this was posted 2 years ago, I only just discovered TV...

"near the moat"? that narrows down the search to a large area... if Mike's is still running, could someone be more specific please? :o

OK... so I'm New to Thai Visa... I read on and found the answer to the question... just ignore me, kor thoad.

Welcome to Thai Visa and welcome to the Chiang Mai forum.

Fyi - there are three Mikes franchised businesses in Chiang Mai.

1) Mikes Original Original Store - cnr of Chiang Moi Road where it meets the Moat

2) Mikes - Nimamheiman Road

3) Mikes - Anusan Markets

Miguels on Chai Yaphum Road is a Mexican restaurant previously owned by Mike and now run by another guy. Popular with the Mexican food lovers in town.

If you really like it - Mike is selling his Pucket store for 900,000baht and moving to China.

enjoy - personally I prefer the burgers at Woody's but each to their own

CB

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jeez, I cant believe that no one has mentioned Mike's hamburgers near the moat.

I think it is the best hamburger in Thailand. I live in Bkk and Mikes is usually one of my first stops when I visit Chiangmai. You have to tell the chef-gals to hold the cheese until they they serve the burger else the cheese melts and has no taste. Mmm looking forward to my next visit in March. I wish there was a branch in Bangkok.

After walking past many, many times, I gave Mikes Burgers on Nim a try. Ordered the chicken cheese burger and a bowl-o-chili. Total cost was 155 baht. Took it togo and got back to the condo and got stuck into it. I gotta say, was no wow factor what so ever. The burger was just that, food, but had little taste. And the chili, well very blan. I thought chili was suppose to have, you know, flavor? I will give it another try with a beef burger, but I dont have high hopes. For the price I could have sat down at Pasta cafe and had a very decent dinner in a nice atmosphere. Will not be running back any time soon, thats for sure.

Too bad, so close to HQ for me.

Just reading these last few messages rgarding southern cooking.. . Does anyone know of a place that serves fried chicken you find in the south? It's made with a sauce that turns it red, and there is the kind roasted with satay-like sauce... What about Martabak? Makes me hungy thinking about it :o

Martabak: My favorite is the martabak (Thai: mataba) at Sa-Nga Choeng Doi near the YMCA. They also do the best khao mok kai I've found anywhere in Chiang Mai. And excellent sup haang wua, spicy oxtail soup. There is also a small shop on Charoen Prathet Rd, Soi 12 (Soi Ban Haw) that makes excellent chicken mataba, roughly 8am-3pm.

Muslim fried chicken: The only place I know is a vendor cart on Suthep Rd near the mouth of Soi Wat Umong, early evenings only. I imagine you can also find that style of fried chicken on Chang Khlan Rd near Chiangmailand, something of a Muslim 'hood.

So now that the Laughing Leprechaun is closed, where can you get the best fish and chips?

Leprechaun closed? THAT's why they didn't have Guinness on Christmas! I went in on Xmas (having just arrived at noon from a road trip to the US) specifically for a couple (or 10) pints, but Dom was scarce and Guinness was plum out. I somehow :o managed to fulfill that requirement elsewhere, but hope Dom's gonna open again somewhere. Good burger, very good fish/chips, good carbonara, and Dom is good people.

So now that the Laughing Leprechaun is closed, where can you get the best fish and chips?

Leprechaun closed? . . . hope Dom's gonna open again somewhere. . . . . Dom is good people.

His plan, when he closed Laughing Leprechaun, was to open a new shop somewhere within a couple of months, if he can find a good location. Let's hope he finds one soon.

• 3 weeks later...

Kanjana Kitchen and Cookery School.

This place... is BY FAR the best Thai food I've eaten in Thailand in the 14 months I've lived here, with awesome prices. Absolutely amazing bang for the buck Thai food wise. When my GF and I go we usually order 3 dishes and it comes to about 120-140 baht which includes the bottled naam.

The Khoa Soi Gai and Masuman Gai are highly recommended. The chicken is lean and white, and the vegetables fresh, which are the numero uno factors when I determine if I'll return to a restaraunt or not.

The menu is simply HUGE, with pages and pages of different Thai dishes.

From Moon Muang, take a left onto soi 6 (or the big street before soi 6 with the big purple bank on the corner) and then take your first left. Follow this little street for a slight bit. It's on the right hand side. (Eat there and NEVER DIE!!)

7/2 Ratchadamnoen Road Soi 5

Chiang Mai , 50000

Edited by damian5000

Sounds good.

Have you tried the Kow Mok Gai (chicken with yellow rice)? I love it when prepared well! :o

I actually had it for the first time this past week. It's a Southern Thai dish, yes?? It was pretty yummy, but I wouldn't call the restaurant we got it from grade A. Will give it a go next time I'm at Kanjana!

EDIT: (If it's available... My GF says they don't have it there, but I'd be surprised to find this to be the truth given their huge menu...But possibly they just don't offer Southern dishes...)

Edited by damian5000

There was a place in the Kad Suan Keaw 5th floor food court where the chicken melted in your mouth - the best I've had anywhere. Please keep me informed about your favorite restaurant! :D

The Kao Mok Gai at the new Big C's foodcourt (on Hand Dong Rd) is very good as well..

Same effect with the melting chicken.. :o

Hello all: so who has the best burger, and what about Pizza. AM I realigated to Burger King to get a "fair burger".

TV

I've tried the new location for the Pasta Cafe (Soi 5, Nimanhemin) a couple of times and have to revise my previously unfavourable opinion based on the old location on Nimanhemin itself.

I've enjoyed meals at the new one, which is much more spacious and inviting than the original 'hobby' resto. Good pastas and salads. Not as good a Da Giorgio (best in town for my tastes) but considerably cheaper and more relaxed, not as cheap as Italian Lang Mo but a tad better quality-wise and a step up atmosphere-wise - tho I quite like the casual atmosphere at Lang Mo for everyday dining.

Also there's a newish place selling pizza by the slice late nights, near the Rasta Cafe/Heaven Beach, etc. Not the best pizza around by a long shot (I haven't found any Chiang Mai pizzas to be all that special), but edible and convenient for that area.

Please add your suggestions.

I went back to Art Cafe, across from Tha Pae Gate, to give them another chance at Mexican food (I do this about every 4.5 years). Service was slow again (perhaps to give you time to read the entire menu), and I ordered zapalote pan and taco salad with beef. Nope, flunked again. Too runny on the sauce, and the beef had big chunks of unground, tough meat. Maybe in year 2013, if I'm still around. In fact, it made me so homesick for Mexico that I stood staring at Tha Pae gate, wondering what I was still doing here. Later I had more zapalote pan at SoJo's in World Club, wishing I had ordered the chicken salad at SoJo's.

I went back to Art Cafe, across from Tha Pae Gate, to give them another chance at Mexican food (I do this about every 4.5 years). Service was slow again (perhaps to give you time to read the entire menu), and I ordered zapalote pan and taco salad with beef. Nope, flunked again. Too runny on the sauce, and the beef had big chunks of unground, tough meat. Maybe in year 2013, if I'm still around. In fact, it made me so homesick for Mexico that I stood staring at Tha Pae gate, wondering what I was still doing here. Later I had more zapalote pan at SoJo's in World Club, wishing I had ordered the chicken salad at SoJo's.

I venture in the Art Cafe every year or so, even though its big and airconditioned and clean it lacks a certain something.

I did try the 'garden eggs benedict' last week though and it was excellent, though Mr Ulysses G reckons that Bake n' Bites eggs benedict is better.

I In fact, it made me so homesick for Mexico that I stood staring at Tha Pae gate, wondering what I was still doing here.

Have you tried Miguel's yet? It is not Mexico, but it is the closet thing :o that you are going to find in the Orient!

Absolutely agree, Ulysses. I am a regular customer there. I prefer it to Salsa Kitchen, which I've tried twice and am still amused that the bbq ribs are the favorite item among many customers.

I venture in the Art Cafe every year or so, even though its big and airconditioned and clean it lacks a certain something.

I did try the 'garden eggs benedict' last week though and it was excellent, though Mr Ulysses G reckons that Bake n' Bites eggs benedict is better.

Actually, they are both excellent. Bake and Bite used Canadian bacon where Art Cafe uses ham, but Art Cafe gives you some nice fried potatoes along with the rest.

I In fact, it made me so homesick for Mexico that I stood staring at Tha Pae gate, wondering what I was still doing here.

Have you tried Miguel's yet? It is not Mexico, but it is the closet thing :o that you are going to find in the Orient!

+1

I was at The Duke's yesterday with 2 of my friends and Dave was saying about a place to vote for the best burger in town, somehow I can't find the thread?

It is in the Chiang Mai forum (this forum), but below in the non-pinned topics. Give me a moment and I'll bump it to the top.

Edited by Ulysses G.

Pasta Cafe is so-so. The prime rib is the worst I have ever had. If you gotta go stick with the pasta.

I really don't get why people rave about Georgios. Nice people, but the same Italian food as a bunch of lesser rated places that have been around a lot longer - and more expensive than the older places.

Pum Pui is just as good. :o

Totally agree with you there. Well overrated and overpriced. Just average would be my rateing. Bolisimos is a place you must all try at least once. its on the same road as riverside but about 50 metres from super highway.

One of the best and maybe most secret places that I have found is the 10 badt place.

This is located on the soi right after AUI library on the left side of the soi. Little is known but they do have a english menu and all dishes are only 10 badt. A very good deal for breakfast or lunch.

English food for 10 Baht. Think I will miss that one tar. Will give the Thai food a go tho

• 2 weeks later...
"Food Corner" restaurant in Suntitam. Hard to find (when you get the the 5 way intersection from the Wat Suntitam 3 way intersection take a right, it is the 2nd road down, take a left then on your left)

BEST THAI FOOD IN CHIANG MAI, THE BEST KEPT SECRET HERE!

Ok. The 2 people that bother to read this will be very happy people indeed...

Still struggling to find it. Where is it in relation to Tesco Lotus if you're coming towards Tesco from the roundabout (5 junctions) please?

One of the best and maybe most secret places that I have found is the 10 badt place.

This is located on the soi right after AUI library on the left side of the soi. Little is known but they do have a english menu and all dishes are only 10 badt. A very good deal for breakfast or lunch.

English food for 10 Baht. Think I will miss that one tar. Will give the Thai food a go tho

All meats are now over 100 baht a kilo. If they are making, say, 5 baht a dish profit (why bother, if you're not a soup kitchen) then that leaves 5 baht for meat and veg,gas,salaries,maintenance..... 20 grams of meat maybe!! So it's a vegetarian restaurant then? Is this a 'Good places to eat' thread or 'cheap places to eat' thread. They may not be the same thing. :o

Edited by KevinHUNT

Yesterday I popped into Tuskers for a couple of beers to finish up the day and discovered that it wasn't Tuesday it was in fact BBQ Chewsday.

B249 for more food than you could wish to shake a stick at - spicy ribs with a great zing to them, chicken done to perfection, pork loin that almost melted, pork belly, jacket spuds and corn on the cob all accompanied by a BBQ sauce that I suspect could be a closely guarded secret recipe. Breakfast was just not an option this morning!

BBQ Chewsday at Tuskers: highly recommended.

JxP

"Food Corner" restaurant in Suntitam. Hard to find (when you get the the 5 way intersection from the Wat Suntitam 3 way intersection take a right, it is the 2nd road down, take a left then on your left)

Still struggling to find it. Where is it in relation to Tesco Lotus if you're coming towards Tesco from the roundabout (5 junctions) please?

I don't think it is anywhere near Tesco.. Figure it to be in Santitam, the 5-way intersection is just north of the YMCA..

I don't think it is anywhere near Tesco.. Figure it to be in Santitam, the 5-way intersection is just north of the YMCA..

We need a map.