Good Places To Eat In Chiang Mai

astral

Try Sabaijai Kai Yang on Huay Kaew. Huge selection of Isan dishes, best kai yaang I've had in Chiang Mai (though that's not saying a lot).

I eat there at least once a week. Obviously I like most of the things I've tried. But imho, the gai yang is really bad, probably the worst I've had in all of Thailand. I've tried it 3 times (only because they claim to specialize in that) and every time it has been very, very dry. Flavorful, but inedibly dry.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Had dinner with a friend last night at the Laughing Leprechaun. We opted for the steak and kidney pie which being Irish had guinees in the gravey and a big bowl of mashed potato as a side dish.

The pies came in a white bowl with puff pastry draped over the top - excellent. Nice presentation and great flavour. With a couple of Guiness to have with dinner it was a good bith of nosh.

As a side note we ended up with not one but three extra plates of bread to finish up the mash potato and gravy - provided without additional cost.

Nice restaurant and Dom is a super bloke.

CB

Had dinner with a friend last night at the Laughing Leprechaun. We opted for the steak and kidney pie which being Irish had guinees in the gravey and a big bowl of mashed potato as a side dish.

The pies came in a white bowl with puff pastry draped over the top - excellent. Nice presentation and great flavour. With a couple of Guiness to have with dinner it was a good bith of nosh.

As a side note we ended up with not one but three extra plates of bread to finish up the mash potato and gravy - provided without additional cost.

Nice restaurant and Dom is a super bloke.

CB

You must have rolled out of the place CB. A while back I had one of Dom's superb pies, Guinness, steak and mushroom, washed down with a couple or three pints of the black stuff, excellent snack to set you up for at least two days(!). . . siesta is the only option after that kind of quality and quantity.

JxP

The Breakfast Club continues . . .

For those, if anyone, who also seek western fare to start the day - my mission continues to catalogue the venues in Chiang Mai that provide curry free, rice free and chili free fodder in the a.m.

To date the winners are:

Mad Dog

Laughing Leprechaun

Bake & Bite

Art Cafe

Today I have to add The Rose Guest House - I will be back to explore more of the menu but today's "German Breakfast" was well worth the B120: Coffee (with refill), OJ, three styles of fresh bread, scrambled eggs, gouda cheese, salami, ham and a couple of other cold cuts, gherkins (yes, okay, who am I to suggest that Asian breakfasts are hard to get used to!), strawberry jam and orange marmalade.

The search continues as the waistline expands . . .

JxP

You must have rolled out of the place CB. A while back I had one of Dom's superb pies, Guinness, steak and mushroom, washed down with a couple or three pints of the black stuff, excellent snack to set you up for at least two days(!). . . siesta is the only option after that kind of quality and quantity.

JxP

We had three pints of the black at Dom's with dinner, then up to Tuskers for a couple of Singha then went out for a drink at the Thapae Gate boxing. On the way home I stopped in at Guitarman to catch the last part of the set by the Blue Boys band which are three young Thais putting out some great blues/rock.

Three pints and you went home for a lie down? What can I say - lightweight :o

But yes the leprachaun is a nice place with some good food. It isn't a food fancy place with duck liver on a cracker as the main meal. It is good honest food, prepared well and presented nicely in a pleasant restaurant. What more could a simple lad from Oz like me want?

Mind you speaking about Oz cuisine I do miss the downunder bar for a lot of things not the least of which was the T-bone, egg, chips, and beans.

CB

We had three pints of the black at Dom's with dinner, then up to Tuskers for a couple of Singha then went out for a drink at the Thapae Gate boxing. On the way home I stopped in at Guitarman to catch the last part of the set by the Blue Boys band which are three young Thais putting out some great blues/rock.

Three pints and you went home for a lie down? What can I say - lightweight :D

But yes the leprachaun is a nice place with some good food. It isn't a food fancy place with duck liver on a cracker as the main meal. It is good honest food, prepared well and presented nicely in a pleasant restaurant. What more could a simple lad from Oz like me want?

Mind you speaking about Oz cuisine I do miss the downunder bar for a lot of things not the least of which was the T-bone, egg, chips, and beans.

CB

I was referring to the good sized portions that Dom serves up not passing comment on our relative machismo when it comes to alcohol! :D There's no way I'm getting into a p!ssing contest with you on that one big fella - everyone knows that Brits go for quality whilst our cousins down under prefer the quantity route. :o

JxP

In the meantime we managed it to eat at St. Germain de Pres. By the way it's mentioned on the menu that extra bread is costing 20B.

In my opinion the food is great. But the white wine - they have only one type- is horrible. When they selected the wine obviously the only criteria that mattered was the price.

In the meantime we managed it to eat at St. Germain de Pres. By the way it's mentioned on the menu that extra bread is costing 20B.

Do you read every single word on a menu when you go to a restaurant?

I don't, and who expects to be charged for extra bread in a French restaurant that is only bringing you a couple of tiny slices at a time anyway? :o

The Breakfast Club continues . . .

For those, if anyone, who also seek western fare to start the day - my mission continues to catalogue the venues in Chiang Mai that provide curry free, rice free and chili free fodder in the a.m.

To date the winners are:

Mad Dog

Laughing Leprechaun

Bake & Bite

Art Cafe

Today I have to add The Rose Guest House - I will be back to explore more of the menu but today's "German Breakfast" was well worth the B120: Coffee (with refill), OJ, three styles of fresh bread, scrambled eggs, gouda cheese, salami, ham and a couple of other cold cuts, gherkins (yes, okay, who am I to suggest that Asian breakfasts are hard to get used to!), strawberry jam and orange marmalade.

The search continues as the waistline expands . . .

JxP

The Rose also do one of the cheapest English breakfasts in town, which if memory serves me right has recently gone up to 100 baht, I'd second the Laughing Leprechaun but a bit more pricey but worth it for the black pudding alone!

I'd second the Laughing Leprechaun but a bit more pricey but worth it for the black pudding alone!

The only black pudding that I've actually enjoyed, that I've ever tried. :o

It's not the most healthy of dishes but ok for a treat - I'm also a big fan of the European variations the German blood sausage and the French Boudain? noir, which is often served with apple. Very tasty.

• 2 weeks later...
The beloved one and I were in town the other day and she was hungry - well she hadn't eaten for two hours to that is understandable :o

I took her to the Raan Gai bbq on Th. Boonruangrit near the Rama 1 Hospital. It is next door to the 7-11. The place has in my opinion one of the best BBQ in Thailand. It is the Portuguese dressed out style ie the rib cage has been removed and the chicken cooked flat over charcoal. They use a nice mix of spices on the chicken and it is marinated over night. I used to go there regularly but hadn't ever taken the girl. We had a whole chicken (she managed to eat 80% of that) Som Tam - warning I like it phet (spicy) breow (sour) and they take that litterally. It is very good but if you like crab and blah rah (fermented fish paste) - Isaan style you will need to tell them. They don't do it as standard. Also had the bbq beef which is sliced into thin pieces, sticky rice, a bottle of water and a coke. Price 160Baht which I think is good value.

The girl ate her fill and liked it so much we went back for lunch today.

They do a very tasty catfish salad but I think you need to go with a group of four to have that and the chicken etc. It is too much for a couple even if one can eat her own weight in chicken and som tam :D

CB

That place, Ruam Jai Gai Yaang, used to be my regular one for gai yaang and som tam. They've gotten so popular that their portions and prices have started to drift towards the unacceptable in my opinion, and further, the old lady who used to make the som tam has now moved back to Bangkok which also caused a slight drop in quality - it is still very good, but not as excellent as it used to be, and the serving portions have shrunk.

I don't do the plaa raa / crab type somtam anymore these days, so my opinion is based on 'Tam Thai'.

Their barbecue chicken really still is top notch though.

When they demanded an extra 5 baht for a minute little bag of 'naam jim jaew' two months or so ago, we decided to try out the competition for a while. Still haven't found one that is quite as good, although the chicken at SP gai yaang and Gai Yaang Wichianburi is almost comparable on their better days - the quality is not quite as consistent though.

That place, Ruam Jai Gai Yaang, used to be my regular one for gai yaang and som tam. They've gotten so popular that their portions and prices have started to drift towards the unacceptable in my opinion .............

when they demanded an extra 5 baht for a minute little bag of 'naam jim jaew' two months or so ago, we decided to try out the competition for a while.

They're havin' a laff, surely! :o

Try Sabaijai Kai Yang on Huay Kaew. Huge selection of Isan dishes, best kai yaang I've had in Chiang Mai (though that's not saying a lot).

I eat there at least once a week. Obviously I like most of the things I've tried. But imho, the gai yang is really bad, probably the worst I've had in all of Thailand. I've tried it 3 times (only because they claim to specialize in that) and every time it has been very, very dry. Flavorful, but inedibly dry.

I love the chicken there, best I've had in Chiang Mai. But then I like it dry. To me it's not so dry as to be too chewy, etc.

That place, Ruam Jai Gai Yaang, used to be my regular one for gai yaang and som tam.

- it is still very good,

Their barbecue chicken really still is top notch though.

When they demanded an extra 5 baht for a minute little bag of 'naam jim jaew' two months or so ago, we decided to try out the competition for a while. Still haven't found one that is quite as good.

If someone charged me an extra 5 baht I would probably black ball the place too. 2 or 3 baht , maybe. 4 baht is pushing it, but 5 baht!!!!

They're having a lafff!!!

I know that the food is top notch and still very good, but you have to make a stand against this sort of thing.

Sad, to see that you gave in. Excellent food is one thing, but FIVE baht!!!

That place, Ruam Jai Gai Yaang, used to be my regular one for gai yaang and som tam. They've gotten so popular that their portions and prices have started to drift towards the unacceptable in my opinion .............

when they demanded an extra 5 baht for a minute little bag of 'naam jim jaew' two months or so ago, we decided to try out the competition for a while.

They're havin' a laff, surely! :o

I think they must be becuase the girl loves the stuff and we regularly get extra - never been charged for it yet, always smile and hand it over to her when she asks.

CB

Someone was asking about South Thai food in CM.

I have found a gem for you. My south-Thai GF says it is very good and VERY spicy!!! I also say it is very good, and not so spicy - I like it a lot spicier than she!!!!

She also tells me she thinks it is a little expensive, but that still means 30bt per dish - and she also thinks the servings are a little small. For me no problem - 150bt for a big two-person meal!

Named "Ahan Bak-Dhai Pataloong" - but no signs in English...

(ahan=food Bak-Dhai=South Thai Pataloong= town in South Thailand - where the owner comes from).

I will try to describe how to find it - not so hard...

It is about 150 meters south of the intersection of Suthep rd and Canal rd (fyi - there is s Tesco Lotus Express on that corner)

So if you go south on Canal rd (towards Hang Dong), just cross Suthep rd. The first couple of turnoffs to the left go into a big (quite nice) market (Talat Ton Pa Yom). And there are a few motorcycle repair shops along Canal rd - the little turnoff is just past them.

So maybe the third turnoff (still only 150 meters from the Suthep intersection) to the left is the correct turn. It is a dead-end lane - too small a road to be called a soi.

You will see the restaurant from Canal rd. - tables outside (w/ blue plastic table-cloths and blue umbrellas) on the right side of the lane (south side). That's it!! Less than 50 meters from Canal rd.

The owner's name is Tuk (some people call her Tuk Tuk!), and she is great. Food is great. And not so spicy for me - probably very spicy for YOU!!!!!

Someone was asking about South Thai food in CM.

I have found a gem for you. My south-Thai GF says it is very good and VERY spicy!!! I also say it is very good, and not so spicy - I like it a lot spicier than she!!!!

She also tells me she thinks it is a little expensive, but that still means 30bt per dish - and she also thinks the servings are a little small. For me no problem - 150bt for a big two-person meal!

Named "Ahan Bak-Dhai Pataloong" - but no signs in English...

(ahan=food Bak-Dhai=South Thai Pataloong= town in South Thailand - where the owner comes from).

I will try to describe how to find it - not so hard...

It is about 150 meters south of the intersection of Suthep rd and Canal rd (fyi - there is s Tesco Lotus Express on that corner)

So if you go south on Canal rd (towards Hang Dong), just cross Suthep rd. The first couple of turnoffs to the left go into a big (quite nice) market (Talat Ton Pa Yom). And there are a few motorcycle repair shops along Canal rd - the little turnoff is just past them.

So maybe the third turnoff (still only 150 meters from the Suthep intersection) to the left is the correct turn. It is a dead-end lane - too small a road to be called a soi.

You will see the restaurant from Canal rd. - tables outside (w/ blue plastic table-cloths and blue umbrellas) on the right side of the lane (south side). That's it!! Less than 50 meters from Canal rd.

The owner's name is Tuk (some people call her Tuk Tuk!), and she is great. Food is great. And not so spicy for me - probably very spicy for YOU!!!!!

I eat at Phattalung occasionally, not bad. My favorite southern Thai place at the moment is a very informal spot near Wat Pong Noi on on Soi Wat Umong (if it's still called Soi Wat Umong at that point, not sure). If you're coming from the direction of Wat Umong it's about a km before Wat Pong Noi on the right and the Thai sign reads 'Mae Cha-em'. Hottest southern Thai curries I've ever eaten in Chiang Mai, Phattalung pales by comparison! Delicious khua kring.

Tried a place called Huan Chow Ying in Baan Tawai that I thought is worth a mention. It's a really quaint place in an old teak wood house and seating is on the floor (Lanna style I'm told). I thought the food was excellent as well as the prices. I can't remember the names of the dishes, but they have North and Issan food. The Tab Tim was really great.

The floor seating is not for everybody. I can make it for about an hour but after that, my legs are aching.

I eat at Phattalung occasionally, not bad. My favorite southern Thai place at the moment is a very informal spot near Wat Pong Noi on on Soi Wat Umong (if it's still called Soi Wat Umong at that point, not sure). If you're coming from the direction of Wat Umong it's about a km before Wat Pong Noi on the right and the Thai sign reads 'Mae Cha-em'. Hottest southern Thai curries I've ever eaten in Chiang Mai, Phattalung pales by comparison! Delicious khua kring.

I'll try to find it when I am back in CM. Something spicy would be nice - it is -14C here right now!

Just reading these last few messages rgarding southern cooking.. . Does anyone know of a place that serves fried chicken you find in the south? It's made with a sauce that turns it red, and there is the kind roasted with satay-like sauce... What about Martabak? Makes me hungy thinking about it :o

Edited by Ajarn

I was wondering that myself.

Beer batter and real cod fish? :D

As opposed to beer batter and real fish cods :o

umm you could try doing it yourself - the fish is sold at Rimping supermarket. May be worth speaking with Dom and asking where he gets his fish and check it out.

What about Charlie's fish and chips - no Guiness on tap and the ambience is something lacking but the fish and chips is pretty good

CB

So now that the Laughing Leprechaun is closed, where can you get the best fish and chips?

I'm guessing that if you wait a few months for Dom to take a well earned break he'll be back with his famous and fantastic menu in a new location.

In the meantime Gypsy (ex-Grillstation) at the Rose Guest House is very proud of his fish and chips, haven't tried them yet but will get around to it soon. I've also heard others recommending the grub at the Blackpool Bar - I tried a scotch egg there a while back and it was pretty authentic.

JxP

Jeez, I cant believe that no one has mentioned Mike's hamburgers near the moat.

I think it is the best hamburger in Thailand. I live in Bkk and Mikes is usually one of my first stops when I visit Chiangmai. You have to tell the chef-gals to hold the cheese until they they serve the burger else the cheese melts and has no taste. Mmm looking forward to my next visit in March. I wish there was a branch in Bangkok.

yes I know this was posted 2 years ago, I only just discovered TV...

"near the moat"? that narrows down the search to a large area... if Mike's is still running, could someone be more specific please? :o

OK... so I'm New to Thai Visa... I read on and found the answer to the question... just ignore me, kor thoad.

Edited by warfie