Friday 10 April 2009 Extra Holiday

george

You think that calling a national holiday is doing something? Lets see if anything is actually done tomorrow to settle this problem... I highly doubt it.

I bet there will be no police around anywhere tomorrow. They're all staying home because it's a holiday! :o

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have had it confirmed that the school I teach at in the Jatujak area and another one in the Huay Kwang area.

I suspect all schools will be closed as so few parents will bother sending their kids when most of the country starts celebrating Songkran earlier than expected.

Very smart move by the PM. Even some of the protesters might think about heading home ...

Call the genius Abhisit that decided to declare the next day a holiday at 9:30pm the evening before. He knows (maybe, but I doubt it).

Tactically it makes good sense. Much easier to tackle the problem in Bangkok when most people will not be going to work. Mass exodus from Bangkok begins tomorrow if not tonight. Songkran comes early ... mai pen rai to everything ... sanuk sanan for all!!

Why not?

The liquor ban was delt with on April 01 along with George's April's fool joke.

Getting to and from your favorite bars might be a problem with the taxis getting into the act and perhaps the motocycles taxis, at least in Bangkok.

Do not expect a booming business as you would expect on a normal Friday night or the whole weekend for that matter. A tough time for the bar,pub, restaurants operators. One more reason to patronise your drinking hole in these "gray" times.

What do you complainers expect? The country is in crisis and you're worried about your little life convenience. Give me a break and look at the big picture. The country is at war, Thai-style.

well said JimJim, we all live here for our own reasons, but if you dont like it, the airport is open again...frig off and stop complaining, if you have health and happiness, whats to complain about...bloody Farangs.. glad I`m Bakseedaa. and how would life be without some little obsticles...

I agree, very smart move by Abhisit. If not, with half the city trying to get to work, there would be problems arising everywhere amongst the congestion of traffic and people. Go and have some fun, and let the red-shirts have their fun with no-body in the way of their hooligan antics (yes, also for the yellow shirts last year). They seem to emulate real values..... :o

Go Abhisit........ or you can take school drop out Chalerm! Wonder if he would call it a national holiday? Ha! :D Or Taksin; the first thing he would do upon arrival is re-activate his business contacts and bank accounts....!

If you're red (or even yellow), try posting in that color! Would be almost like the real thing! :D

Edited by coconutmonkey

Seems like a good idea to let innocent people get out of town.

This is a national problem which requires nationwide action, I am sure the PM is sorry about you missing your visit to immigration tomorrow.

Most people just complain regardless of what the government does. Why don't they do this? Why don't they do that? Then when they do something. Why did they cause me to miss my appointment?

IQs have dropped.

Go on holiday and come back and sort it out later like the rest of us.

:o

Well said! :D

Well from my Ivory Tower directly opposite the Channel 3 building on Rama IV I can announce that Bangkok is what I can only describe as "Sunday Quiet". The roads are dead.

Don Muang to Rama IV in 25 minutes - on a Friday!!!! - the sheer bliss!

Good call from Abisit to call the holiday IMO, the roads are dead leaving them clear for those that want and need to work to get it done in a timely fashion so that they can get out and start enjoying the holidays too...

The Red Shirts will be at a loss as to what to do next, their blockade and bully tactics will have little or no impact and those that don't give a $hit get an extra days holiday to go and drink Sam Song with the in-laws on Isaan... Nice!

This morning saw approx 10 - 20 Paddy waggons and a couple of army trucks driving along Viphavadee... so maybe there will be some attempt to return the city to "normality" while everyone's back is turned...

Call the genius Abhisit that decided to declare the next day a holiday at 9:30pm the evening before. He knows (maybe, but I doubt it).

Suppose he skipped common sense class at Oxford and Eton? :D

Reds will be happy though with Apeshit actively adding to the confusion and disruption.. Suppose you'd have a visit to Immigration visit today and at 9:30pm the day before they decide to close it.. Nice move! :o

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

the question is.....1 day off can solve this problem?and if the problem is not solved we will have many off days until we get rid of reds?and also is it safe to go out on songrant?

Edited by yogi

Send the PM (prime minister) a PM (personal message) and tell him what you think about this extra holiday. Afterall, I would be just like returning a favour to someone who PMed millions of people after being installed in office. That would make for an interesting day.

Does anybody know if this includes metropolitan electricity offices.....i just got back from abroad and wanted to pay my bill.

regards

Timo

Unless you got a letter telling you they were going to cut you off if you did not pay by tomorrow, i would not worry about it. Besides it's songkran, there is no one around to cut you off anyway :o

NO try and pay it! They gave me 2 bills in one month (I'd payed the first) with 2 days notice of payment for the 2nd one...before payday. It took 3 days to get it switched back on and that wasn't around a holiday!

You think that calling a national holiday is doing something? Lets see if anything is actually done tomorrow to settle this problem... I highly doubt it.

I bet there will be no police around anywhere tomorrow. They're all staying home because it's a holiday! :o

Ah if only.

My friend is married to a thai policeman, he's been home for only 3-4 hours a day for the last 4 days. While you are enjoying your holiday maybe you should consider how bad others have it? They get paid crap wages, work long, long hours and don't get a chance to see family or even eat properly because they are on permanent duty trying to sort this mess out , to make your lives as normal and enjoyable as possible.

This should exempt me from paying tea money this month???

He was even treatened with relocation if he missed a day for his wedding last December.

I would not be surprised if all the major businesses remained open tomorrow (including the banks, but maybe not government offices) 12 hours notice is just too quick for them to respond to

12 hours notice is plenty for an unexpected holiday! Most Thais I know can deal with 1 minute notice when it comes to holidays...but when it relates to work, sometimes one week's notice is not enough! :o

Just some traffic update.

GWM is right. Clear, smooth traffic on RAMA 4. But not at the intersection between Suk and RAMA 4.

The reddies are still there and I had to take a motorbike taxi to work this morning. I bet business really pick up well for them at a time like this, when people need to squeeze through protesters and traffic blockage.

Hurray for motorbikes! :o

This is a national problem which requires nationwide action, I am sure the PM is sorry about you missing your visit to immigration tomorrow.

Most people just complain regardless of what the government does. Why don't they do this? Why don't they do that? Then when they do something. Why did they cause me to miss my appointment?

IQs have dropped.

:D

Well said! :D

Absolutely... :o

ilyushin can always be relied upon to provide relative input to keep things in proper perspective. Especially when hysteria (over an extra holiday? :D ) gets carried away.

Well done, as usual, ilyushin... :D

IQs have dropped.

:o

I second that! Thumbs up!

But hey, lucky for the whingers, something to whinging!

I just love this move, very Thai!

Imagine they are playing chess.... !

I would not be surprised if all the major businesses remained open tomorrow (including the banks, but maybe not government offices) 12 hours notice is just too quick for them to respond to

12 hours notice is plenty for an unexpected holiday! Most Thais I know can deal with 1 minute notice when it comes to holidays...but when it relates to work, sometimes one week's notice is not enough! :D

A lot of expats I know can deal with a minutes notice too, but that usually about six hours after a case of Heineken. :o