You Tube Of Red-shirts Beating A Hasty Retreat From Sathorn

samran

Classic...

You tube footage of office workers on the Sathorn and Naratiwat intersections fighting back, and disbanding an attempted 'red shirt' blockade of that important intersection. People power at its best!

Classic...

You tube footage of office workers on the Sathorn and Naratiwat intersections fighting back, and disbanding an attempted 'red shirt' blockade of that important intersection. People power at its best!

Don't get too excited.Certainly the Reds had no business at the intersections.What I saw was a small number of Reds standing round:the police should have moved them on.

If one is meant to feel elated by a gang of middle class Sino-Thais screaming their heads off at a few puzzled confused taxi drivers, count me out.

Classic...

Don't get too excited.Certainly the Reds had no business at the intersections.What I saw was a small number of Reds standing round:the police should have moved them on.

If one is meant to feel elated by a gang of middle class Sino-Thais screaming their heads off at a few puzzled confused taxi drivers, count me out.

what is this sino thai crap. Video is obviously a mix of Thais, both Thai Chinese and otherwise. The taxis as is the case in the rest of the city, are being funded to park and disrupt the lives of everyone else.

THe amount of racism and dislike and attempts to paint Bangkok as some sort of anti Thai all Chinese taking the place over city (the real Thais live in Isaan myth stuff) is patronising, wrong and stupid.

Let's recall for a start, that Thaksin is Chinese. How come you don't spout this rubbish with them?

We would also do well to note that a number of people in Isaan are recent immigrants from Laos and Cambodia.

Next shall we make scapegoats of the Jews, Mexicans and them c**n-ni$$er-darkies as was famously once uttered on the young ones in a rick Mayall dream sequence as the people's poet descended on the pigs?

Edited by bertlamar

Classic...

what is this sino thai crap. Video is obviously a mix of Thais, both Thai Chinese and otherwise. The taxis as is the case in the rest of the city, are being funded to park and disrupt the lives of everyone else.

THe amount of racism and dislike and attempts to paint Bangkok as some sort of anti Thai all Chinese taking the place over city (the real Thais live in Isaan myth stuff) is patronising, wrong and stupid.

Let's recall for a start, that Thaksin is Chinese. How come you don't spout this rubbish with them?

We would also do well to note that a number of people in Isaan are recent immigrants from Laos and Cambodia.

Next shall we make scapegoats of the Jews, Mexicans and them c**n-ni$er-darkies as was famously once uttered on the young ones in a rick Mayall dream sequence as the people's poet descended on the pigs?

I wondered about using the term Sino-Thai but I think it's justified in the circumstances.In the short video clip it's actually impossible for either you or me to distinguish.However the background of the vast majority of Sathorn Office workers is simply a fact as is the background of most taxi drivers.Your reaction suggests you are either unaware or simply ignoring the barrage of racist abuse which was levied at PAD rallies by the mainly Sino-Thai PAD leadership (and applauded by the mainly Sino[Thai audience) against people from Isaan, Cambodia, Laos.What I saw in the clip had a similar unpleasant resonance.I made it clear that I thought the taxi drivers had no businesss there and I sympathise with commuters frustration.But don't expect me to get excited about what I saw on the clip, because on the whole there was something unpleasnat about the sight of well fed middle class (is that more acceptable?) people screaming at a few misguided people who have next to nothing.And yes there is a strand of racism towards upcountry people from many urban Thais of Chinese descent.

Haha, this is how we roll in Sathorn. We have enough God awful traffic around Sathorn/Narathiwat without these obnoxious traffic blockages. If they want to stage a traffic protest they should just show up there around 17:00 any day of the week and stand around. Traffic stops itself and you can take credit.

Classic...

Next shall we make scapegoats of the Jews, Mexicans and them c**n-ni$er-darkies as was famously once uttered on the young ones in a rick Mayall dream sequence as the people's poet descended on the pigs?

I wondered about using the term Sino-Thai but I think it's justified in the circumstances.In the short video clip it's actually impossible for either you or me to distinguish.However the background of the vast majority of Sathorn Office workers is simply a fact as is the background of most taxi drivers.Your reaction suggests you are either unaware or simply ignoring the barrage of racist abuse which was levied at PAD rallies by the mainly Sino-Thai PAD leadership (and applauded by the mainly Sino[Thai audience) against people from Isaan, Cambodia, Laos.What I saw in the clip had a similar unpleasant resonance.I made it clear that I thought the taxi drivers had no businesss there and I sympathise with commuters frustration.But don't expect me to get excited about what I saw on the clip, because on the whole there was something unpleasnat about the sight of well fed middle class (is that more acceptable?) people screaming at a few misguided people who have next to nothing.And yes there is a strand of racism towards upcountry people from many urban Thais of Chinese descent.

I agree with your last two posts but since when did facts ever convince the many thaivisa posdters with fixed views.

I wondered about using the term Sino-Thai but I think it's justified in the circumstances.In the short video clip it's actually impossible for either you or me to distinguish.However the background of the vast majority of Sathorn Office workers is simply a fact...

That's BS quite frankly and quite patronising too. In any office, in any company, you will find many people from the North-East and other parts of Thailand. No-one would be able to operate if they relied on your Sino-Thai Bangkokians to fill their offices. There are also plenty of Bangkokians these days who have links to the N, NE, S, E, W through parents and family connections even though they weren't born there.

From my wife's village in Ubon, many more of the kids these days are going into higher education and becoming office fodder in Bangkok. But even amongst the older generation there are those who have reached the higher management levels.

But anyway who knows the background of all those in the video.

I wondered about using the term Sino-Thai but I think it's justified in the circumstances.In the short video clip it's actually impossible for either you or me to distinguish.However the background of the vast majority of Sathorn Office workers is simply a fact...

That's BS quite frankly and quite patronising too. In any office, in any company, you will find many people from the North-East and other parts of Thailand. No-one would be able to operate if they relied on your Sino-Thai Bangkokians to fill their offices. There are also plenty of Bangkokians these days who have links to the N, NE, S, E, W through parents and family connections even though they weren't born there.

From my wife's village in Ubon, many more of the kids these days are going into higher education and becoming office fodder in Bangkok. But even amongst the older generation there are those who have reached the higher management levels.

But anyway who knows the background of all those in the video.

Since I worked in Sathorn for over ten years I'm familiar with the setup there.

Actually I agree with what you say about the increasingly complex relationships between Bangkok and the provinces.The NE for example is far from being a homogeneous block, something the PAD leadership often seemed to overlook.Your comment about the increasing level of higher education is also very pertinent.But I think my point remains valid.You seem to accept the basic premise with your reference (I paraphrase) to the relatively few upcountry people at senior management levels.I accept this could change over time but - back to the clip - somehow I think the people screaming abuse were probably mostly of Sino-Thai origin (rather than the NE office boys, guards and drivers).

Classic...

pity the people who broke the barriers are not running the police farce (thats not a spelling mistate)

Classic...

All while the completely inept police stand idly by looking. Such total incompetence. A bunch of office workers clear out the mob and the police are clueless.

i was forced out of my condo yesterday (the termite company were too ambitious with poison) so I took a camera around BKK to take photos of the Red Shirts. No where was there a large grouping of people. I'd say that in any one barrier, there were not many more than ten people manning the road blocks, and sometimes as few as four and at one point, only one.

At every blocked intersection, cars were patiently going where instructed (my taxi included). I didn't ask my taxi driver to do so because I didn't want him to get targeted by the Red Shirt taxi drivers, but at the time I did wonder why local drivers didn't just nudge through the weak barriers as there were far more of us than of the Red Shirts.

Edited by desi

Don't know if its already been mentioned but theres a classic photograph of a Falang on the front page of the all Thai newspaper Thairath.

I like how hes got a bottle of water in his non throwing something at the police hand (it is summer after all).

If I was him I think I'd be a bit worried - its a fairly clear picture.