Samui Boat Accident

stumonster

I am horrified reading this.

The Thai lady who we rent our house from asked me if my husband was Ok this morning and had he got back from Phangan last night? I said yes. He had. She looked relieved and went on her way. She has just told me about the accident and that she had been worried about Chris. Chris missed that speedboat as it was too 'full' and had to wait for the next one.

It was the first time he had been to FMP and was curious. He didn't much like it. I very much doubt he will go again now.

Sometimes you have all the luck you need. I consider myself very, very lucky indeed today.

KB

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

in spite of the all thaksins bluster on the world stage thailand remains very firmly anchored in a third world miasma of total lack of responsibility , kickbacks, non-enforcement of basic safety regulations and almost unimagineable greed.

Spot on , Taxi!

When a bus crashes here, the "driver" runs away.

I'm wondering if the "captain" swam away as fast as his little feet & arms could propel him? :o

Does anyone know?

Back in 2002, a friend and I did the Full Moon Party thing, just to see what it was about. We went over via speed boat at Bohpot Beach, Samui.

I do remember the ride over, an 18' bay liner with twin Mercs,

Not quite a cigar boat but it didn't take long for it to get on step.

It was packed, when there was no more room inside, people climbed on top,

they stood on the rear dive boards, on the siderails, ...

Most people had already been drinking before they even got on the boat.

No safety briefing,

No life jackets, (certainly not enough),

No running lights,

But in the LOS you go with the flow, the survival instinct is strong, I never heard of anyone falling off one of these boats and we made it there and back just fine.

This is the first incident I can recall involving a mishap, it's tragic and couldn't have occurred at a worse time. Having said that, I'm not surprised an accident would eventually transpire. I don't think for a moment it will diminish or impact the FMP, this is a venue known the world over and attracts more kids every year. :o

Twenty-five people were reported missing, including eight Thais, five Britons, four Swedes, two Americans, one German, one Canadian and one Estonian, state Samui Hospital said on its website http://ksh.moph.go.th/list.htm

The Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade in Canberra said two Australian men in their early 20s were missing and it was possible other Australians were also missing after the boat accident early yesterday

A Sydney newspaper today named those known to be missing as Nathon Zann and Zaheem Bhuiyah, both 22.

A friend of the two men reported their disappearance to authorities, the spokeswoman said late last night.

The three had been aboard the speedboat which capsized while returning to Koh Samui after visiting a nearby island for an all-night beach party.

http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/commo...55E1702,00.html

from google news.

One survivor, Lee Feldman, 22, from Portland, Oregon, said: "The boat was hopelessly overloaded.

"It was built for maybe 30 people but there must have been at least 50 or 60. We were mostly huddled together in a cabin.

"It was travelling at speed, then the driver made a sharp left turn and we flipped.

"As it started going down we were trapped inside. We could not get out because of the canopy.

"Nobody was wearing life-jackets. I did not see any, anyway. But I guess they would not have helped.

"We were dragged down by the boat. People were urging, ‘Stay calm. Get out slowly’. But there was pandemonium as people realised they were drowning," Mr Feldman said.

"I kept swimming down hoping the boat was not coming down on top of me. Then I made it to the surface.

"The boat was still out of the water and I grabbed on to it. I could feel people grabbing at my legs. People were still trapped inside.

"I was too exhausted to dive down and help. One Thai man did dive down, but he never came back. There was an American girl next to me. I don’t think she got out."

A Thai survivor, Inthat Haechoo, 28, confirmed that the boat had been overloaded and said that he had had to stand for the half-hour trip.

"No-one was offered a life-vest either," he said.

Thailand’s interior minister, Bhokin Bhalakula, promised an inquiry.

The accident happened just a month after thousands of foreign tourists died in the Indian Ocean tsunami along the country’s western shoreline and came as Thailand tried to lure tourists back to its shores.

Just to advice everyone not to go to any beaches in South Thailand for about 6 month or more..Becaus ethere are still alot of Lost spirits and souls out there...Just read the local thai newspapers theres alot of stories about some1 seeing sprit at night

Uh tytus,

I hope you are kidding right? Please tell me you are kidding....and you read it in a Thai newspaper-well there's an impeccable authority....there are no ghosts or spirits haunting the beaches here in Phuket....I go swimming everyday and the only spooky thing here in Phuket is that we have no tourists, and businesses are shutting their doors, staff are being laid off. Phuket and the rest of the Andamans need people to visit and your advice is pure crap and certainly poor timing.

steady on traveldog, whilst we all agree that there is no reason for tourist to stop coming, and the country needs more tourists right now, what you have just done is belittled a Thai persons beliefs. My wife tells me she will never ever visit Phuket etc again as she can hear the ghosts from where we live, and they keep her awake at night. I am in no position to tell her that she is nuts as this is what she and perhaps the majority of her fellow nationals believe.

No matter how many times I could tell her everything is alright I will never convince her, as you will never convince tytus, especially with an attack.

Hey, is Ko samui in the ghost filled area? Cuz I was planning to go their with my t/w and she seems to be someone who is always afraid of ghosts anyway.

koh samui is swarming with the buggers , they keep you awake all night with their "whooooo"..ing and its no use shutting the windows , they just come straight through the bloody walls.

being falang ghosts they are not too fragrant either and their language and manners are terrible , and to top it all when they come in to your house they never take their shoes off.

best stay away from samui and take the missus to samet instead.

from the uk daily telegraph

Briton among eight dead in Thai speedboat crash

By Our Foreign Staff

(Filed: 26/01/2005)

At least one Briton was killed and others are believed to be among 25 missing and feared drowned when an overloaded speedboat crashed in the Gulf of Thailand yesterday.

The boat was carrying party revellers back from an island "rave" when it went out of control.

So far eight people have been confirmed dead. They were Marc Elder-Bradley, 38, from London, two Israelis, a Frenchman, an American and three Thais.

Among the missing are Swiss, German, British, Austrian and Norwegian holidaymakers.

Late yesterday Thai police and army frogmen continued to search the waters around the northern shore of the resort island of Koh Samui for possible survivors.

The craft sank after it flipped while turning left at high speed near Koh Samui.

It had picked up more than 50 passengers from one of the monthly full moon raves on Haad Rin beach on the nearby island of Koh Phangnan.

Last night the driver of the boat appeared to have fled the scene.

note that.....................
Last night the driver of the boat appeared to have fled the scene

how much more humiliation can the thai authorities take ???

dont they care how others see them??

its beyond a joke.

its beyond pathetic

its ........ amazing thailand!! :o

Just to advice everyone not to go to any beaches in South Thailand for about 6 month or more..Becaus ethere are still alot of Lost spirits and souls out there...Just read the local thai newspapers theres alot of stories about some1 seeing sprit at night

oh you really are a great use are'nt you? come down here to krabi and say that in front of my thai and farang friends who own businesses who are more than ever relying on the tourists to survive...you would'nt last long. keep those sort of ridiculous, thoughtless comments to yourself.

please curb your Western aggressiveness long enough to read Posts #9 and #10 of this thread.

This accident is something I already expected...just when. So we have what? The southmost uprising (sill going on), tsunami hit 6 provinces, subway crash, burnt down buildings, and , now, speedboat accident (I wholeheartedly believe that it's a murder, not accident.) All of the problems and accidents are poping up like mushrooms. It's just a matter of time these things starting to happen 'cause Thailand is growing very fast, too fast. Imagine Thailand is a house. A house that has a very beautiful, glamorus roof, but very bad, rotten foundation. That's Thailand in my eyes. We're always worried about how beautiful the house should be, not how strong. Wait and see Song Kran Festival this year, there will be more accidents for sure.

FYI: Please tell your wives that Thailand has spirits and ghosts EVERYWHERE. So just not going to affected areas WILL NOT stop them to see or feel spirits :o

Golf

Driver of capsized boat surrenders

From correspondents in Koh Samui

January 26, 2005

THE 26-year-old driver of a tourist speedboat that capsized after a full-moon Thai island beach party, killing seven people, has surrendered to police, blaming the accident on mechanical failure.

The driver, Samran Ruangruang, faces manslaughter and negligence charges carrying a fine of up to 20,000 baht ($6500) or 10 years in jail.

"He denied the charges of negligence and attributed the horror to an accident because the boat's hydraulics were not working," one policeman said.

The driver had initially tried to abscond after the incident, police said.

Police Major Sompong Krutsuwan said police were investigating whether the boat owners should also face charges, such as carrying too many people on board or illegally modifying the boat's engines.

http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/commo...55E1702,00.html

It is simple this was an accident waiting to happen.

As with everything else ein Samui the locals do what they want and woe betind anyone who tries to stop them.

The police do not enforce the crash helment law and hundreds if not thousands die because of it.

The main concern of the boat woners will now be to stop anybody enforcing capacity regualtions and safty equipment requirements which will be called for.

A few tourists dead does not matter as long as their margins are not affected!

oh you really are a great use are'nt you? come down here to krabi and say that in front of my thai and farang friends who own businesses who are more than ever relying on the tourists to survive...you would'nt last long. keep those sort of ridiculous, thoughtless comments to yourself.

please curb your Western aggressiveness long enough to read Posts #9 and #10 of this thread.

not aggressiveness, more frustration at ignorant wastes of space. i know about Thais and how they are with 'pee' (ghosts) having lived here over 2 years. Jeez, i spent a few days at Wat Yan Yao, Takuapa moving corpses - i believe in spirits too, but advising people to stay away for 6 MONTHS?!?! utterly outrageous.

Edited by mr_lob

I'm with Lob.... and the responses to my previous post are noted...but, I got pretty upset, that someone who isn't here can make a blanket warning to "everyone" to stay away. To want things to "cool off" is not living in the real world of simple economics here....I went to a rather nice ceremony weeks ago in Phuket town where 10,000 people offered prayers for the dead...and yes there have been several of these to appease the spirits....but really the unemployment for the poorer thais here is really quite horrible...a second wave of destruction.

Thai Air has just suspended international flights till March...more great news...and I can't see it getting better any quicker with people advocating staying away...If you can't come down fine and understood just don't tell "everyone" else the same...Thanks to all the brave ones who are coming, its really appreciated.

I'm with Lob.... and the responses to my previous post are noted...but, I got pretty upset, that someone who isn't here can make a blanket warning to "everyone" to stay away.  To want things to "cool off" is not living in the real world of simple economics here....I went to a rather nice ceremony weeks ago in Phuket town where 10,000 people offered prayers for the dead...and yes there have been several of these to appease the spirits....but really the unemployment for the poorer thais here is really quite horrible...a second wave of destruction.

Thai Air has just suspended international flights till March...more great news...and I can't see it getting better any quicker with people advocating staying away...If you can't come down fine and understood just don't tell "everyone" else the same...Thanks to all the brave ones who are coming, its really appreciated.

I am interested in the note about Thai Air suspending international flights to/from Phuket. Where did this emanate. As far as I know TG does not operate any international flights ex Phuket other than the odd service to KL. All others are via BKK.

eddie

Well , probably this aint going to hurt the tourism . The tsunami does affect it and when the bird flu is getting worse or more attetion in the media , it will also ( in a lot greater way ) . This is just a crash with a overloaded speedboat . Just talked to my friend in Samui ( i'm going next week ) and the place is still packet . I only know about Lamai , so probably Chaweng is even worse . At the same time i guess Phuket is empty , i think even the bargirls moved to Samui till the tourists com back to Phuket but it won't be before summer , i'd say ...

The boat incident will affect tourism becuase the Government can't just sit back. (It shut the Bangkok underground for 2 weeks after a simple shunt, with no deaths).

It'll have to stop the motor boat trade till everyone forgets, and that has an effect. (albeit slight and unmeasurable).

For the TG flights to Phuket, its chicken and egg. The cessation of flights is justified on the basis of load factor, but it makes even more people disinclined to come

The boat incident will affect tourism becuase the Government can't just sit back. (It shut the Bangkok underground for 2 weeks after a simple shunt, with no deaths).

It'll have to stop the motor boat trade till everyone forgets, and that has an effect. (albeit slight and unmeasurable).

For the TG flights to Phuket, its chicken and egg. The cessation of flights is justified on the basis of load factor, but it makes even more people disinclined to come

Bangkok Airways is allways putting ask/offer on their map . I think , like now , they fligh every flight in the book , morning till evening . At the quiet season , it is not like that , sometimes they cancel flights to get the planes as full as possible and staying close to the original hours . Some season maybe 1/3 flights are made .

About the motorboat trade , yes maybe look they look at it for now . But the next FMP is 1 month away , and that is the only time these boats run like that . Maybe on the next 2 or 3 FMP's there's going to be a closer watch from police ( i doubt but ok ) but after that , it is business as usual . To be honest , that is the way everybody likes it . You can moan and complain but in Samui the law isn't something we look out for , isn't it ??? This is part of the charme of the island , the stressless living , nobody looking at your hands . You don't wear your helmet ... fine by me , i don't wear it also ( only at the known control spots ) . Or the closing times , when somebody important comes to town the police is shutting everything faster :o while the next day it is same like always .

No safety briefing,

No life jackets, (certainly not enough),

No running lights,

But in the LOS you go with the flow, the survival instinct is strong, I never heard of anyone falling off one of these boats and we made it there and back just fine.

This is the first incident I can recall involving a mishap....

There was a previous accident on a Phangan to Samui ferry maybe 10 or so years ago. A ferry sank and two German women were able to swim several kilometers to tye Samui shore and eventually find someone who both (1) understood them and (2) believed them. Then the authorities in Nathan were finally notified and who then mounted a search and rescue operation at dawn. The two women were slated to be honored in Bangkok but they both skipped the country before any Thai official could bask in their reflected heroic efforts.

-----------------------------------------------------

I just wonder how many bodies its goinng to take befoe they stop overloading them to dangerous levels.

probably a lot more.

you would think that the owners of the boats have made enough money over the past few years and that by now they would have upgraded their boats , safety equipment and boatmen, and would have a properly implemented and regulated safety policy in place.

not in thailand though , and definately not on samui where even the already wealthy exhibit unbelievable degrees of greed and avarice and the only standards adhered to are the standards of vested interest.

todays drownings are especially upsetting because (if the reports of an overloaded speedboat with standing passengers and unused lifejackets are true ) these holidaymakers should not have died and had the owners of the boat put safety before profit they would probably still be alive.

in spite of the all thaksins bluster on the world stage thailand remains very firmly anchored in a third world miasma of total lack of responsibility , kickbacks, non-enforcement of basic safety regulations and almost unimagineable greed.

Agree thoroughly with the above comments.

The fundamentals are never going to change here. If you doubt this, read Thai history.

If it is not one thing, it's always another around here. Just wait until the next tourist mutilation by jet ski or propeller boat.

itv news has just reported that most passengers had had a lot to drink and that the lifejacket cupboard was locked.

a mechanical / hydraulic  fault in the steering mechanism is being cited as the cause of the boat capsizing.

lots of full moon party film footage of drunken falangs dancing , falling over , smoking big cigarettes , groping each other whilst the news was given.

they promise a special report on drug abuse at full moon parties tomorrow.

responsibility for this tragedy..........oh dont be silly !

Exactly - that is why nothing ever changes - no growth or development of any sort, unless you consider expressways, shopping malls, and prostitution development.

---------------------------------------------

It was an unfortunate accident similar to accidents happen in your countries.

Can you remember this? In this case also the ferry pilot fled the scene immediately.. So it's also a common thing..

(Taken from BBC)

Ten dead in NYC ferry disaster

NYC police boat floats next to the damaged ferry at Staten Island

Accident investigators are working into the night

At least 10 people have died and 34 have been injured after a ferry operating across New York City harbour crashed as it came into dock at Staten Island during high winds.

The boat hit enormous pilings at St George's Terminal, which ripped through the vessel leaving a mass of splintered wood, steel and glass.

Witnesses described how people's limbs were torn off as they tried desperately to move out of the way - others dived into the harbour to escape the debris.

Click here to see how the accident happened

"It's a terrible tragedy," said Mayor Michael Bloomberg. "People who were on their way home suddenly taken from us."

Police sources were quoted as saying the ferry pilot fled the scene immediately, and was later taken from his Staten Island home to hospital after an apparent suicide attempt.

Mr Bloomberg refused to speculate on what caused the crash - saying that a full investigation is under way.

Drug tests

He said all the crew members were being interviewed and the usual drug and alcohol tests would be carried out.

"There is no indication that this is anything other than a terrible accident," he told reporters.

STATEN ISLAND FERRY

93 metres (310 feet) long

Carries up to 6,000 passengers

Travels at about 30 km/h (18 mph)

Provides free ride from Staten Island to Lower Manhattan

Fleet of five boats carry 70,000 people a day

104 daily trips between the two boroughs

"There is no reason whatsoever to believe this was done by any outside factor other than perhaps high winds."

The incident occurred around 1500 local time (1900 GMT), just before the city's rush hour, as the Staten Island ferry came in to St George's Terminal from lower Manhattan.

Some witnesses said the ferry appeared to be going too fast, and came into dock at an unusual angle.

The pilings hit the ferry's main deck and crashed through windows into the main seating area.

"People were running and these beams were just coming in, following behind them and you could see some people were not going to make it," said passenger Bob Carroll to New York's NY1 news.

As well as amputations, victims suffered trauma injuries and hypothermia. At least one body was pulled from the water.

'Mess'

Ferry services were suspended while emergency teams worked into the evening digging through the wreckage in their search for victims.

"It's a mess in there," said one fireman at the scene carrying a saw.

Police officers at a closed off area in Staten Island terminal

Ferry services across New York harbour were suspended

Victims were taken to Staten Island University Hospital and St Vincent's Hospital.

Robert Dubicki, president of St Vincent's hospital, said 22 people were admitted and around half had since been discharged.

"We have three patients in our operating room right now," he said. "We treated one patient for hypothermia but most of the injuries were blunt trauma and penetrating trauma."

More than 70,000 passengers a day take the free 25-minute ferry ride into Manhattan, while tourists use it to see the city's Statue of Liberty.

The authorities hope to have ferry services up and running again in time for the Thursday morning rush hour

not aggressiveness, more frustration at ignorant wastes of space. i know about Thais and how they are with 'pee' (ghosts) having lived here over 2 years. Jeez, i spent a few days at Wat Yan Yao, Takuapa moving corpses - i believe in spirits too, but advising people to stay away for 6 MONTHS?!?! utterly outrageous.

Discounting someone's beliefs as "ignorant wastes of space".... and inciting bodily harm on someone as they "wouldn't last long".... sounds fairly aggressive to me. If you truly "know" about Thais... you wouldn't post such thoughts in such an unempathetic tone.

Can you remember this? In this case also the ferry pilot fled the scene immediately.. So it's also a common thing..

Not common at all in the west.

It's a common (bad) joke in Thailand that the drivers of public vehicles run away from the scene of 'most' accidents.

The example you quoted said that the driver went home & tried to commit suicide.

Thai drivers 'usually' head upcountry and hide.

A classic example was an airline captain from the Middle East walked in front of a green bongo bus, with an armful of parcels, outside the WTC.

He was badly injured and stupid to not use the pedestrian bridge...

It was clearly the pilots fault, but the driver still ran away, leaving a bus full of pax in the middle of the rd at peak hour.... :o

Discounting someone's beliefs as "ignorant wastes of space".... and inciting bodily harm on someone as they "wouldn't last long".... sounds fairly aggressive to me. If you truly "know" about Thais... you wouldn't post such thoughts in such an unempathetic tone.

----------------------------------------------

Anyone heard about Linken ghost stories inside the white-house?

I never heard of anyone abandoning that place for 6 months..

Therefore, nothing to be scared of.. ghosts live among us..

Not common at all in the west.

It's a common (bad) joke in Thailand that the drivers of public vehicles run away from the scene of 'most' accidents.

The example you quoted said that the driver went home & tried to commit suicide.

Thai drivers 'usually' head upcountry and hide.

A classic example was an airline captain from the Middle East walked in front of a green bongo bus, with an armful of parcels, outside the WTC.

He was badly injured and stupid to not use the pedestrian bridge...

It was clearly the pilots fault, but the driver still ran away, leaving a bus full of pax in the middle of the rd at peak hour.... :o

I do not think it is the right way to run away from an Accident.

But in some countries (South Asia, Africa), it is always better to get out from the scene as soon as you can (whether you are right or wrong) and then turn yourself in to the police station as soon as you can (with a lawyer if possible).

It is for your own safety.

I have read and seen enough stories where some drunken guy running across the road, getting killed and then villagers, some family member or friends getting together and smashing the driver. Sometimes even burning the vehicle.

It is too risky to be in the place of the accident specially if police take time to arrive. I mean the cases where you know that someone got killed due to your mistake or his/her own mistake. Not small accidents.

It was an unfortunate accident similar to accidents happen in your countries.

western countries make some attempt at accident prevention and yes, accidents will always happen.

in the west , drunk captains, lifejackets missing or locked away, overloaded boats etc. are the exception and agencies and authorities do their best to ensure compliance.

in thailand and other asian countries drunk captains , missing and locked away lifejackets and overloaded boats are the norm.

compliance with safety measures is almost non-existent even when the police are passengers.

thats why accidents like this happen more often here than in the west.

erm...did i mention ANYTHING about bodily harm??? No. Let me guess....your an english teacher (ST). If you agree with this person about people staying away from the southern beaches for 6 months + ....then do you know much at all about Thailand yourself?