Best Wine Pairings for Thai Food

SpiritHouse

Hey everyone,

ย 

I hope you're all having a fantastic day! ๐Ÿ˜Š We've recently been diving into the world of wine and food pairings, and as someone who absolutely loves Thai food, I'm curious to hear about your favorite wine pairings with Thai dishes.

What wines do you find work best with the bold, spicy, and complex flavors of Thai cuisine? Whether it's a go-to white, red, or even a sparkling option, I'd love to know what you recommend.

ย 

We wrote this article that offers some insights and suggestions: Best Wine Pairings for Thai Food in Thailand โ€“ A Guide by Spirit House. We have an extensive wine selection at wholesale prices with free delivery across Thailand, which is a great bonus!

ย 

Looking forward to hearing your thoughts and trying out some new pairings. Cheers! ๐Ÿท๐Ÿฅ‚

• Haha 1

Obviously, for Thai and other Asian food, there is really only one wine to consider...

ย 

image.png.f0092fc3dd7651af6e3f695fef18687a.png

ย 

Must be available, here, someplace.

This is the best wine for fine dining, straight out of Taiwan...

ย 

ย 

ย 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, KhunLA said:

None, especially if spicy.ย  Just doesn't work with Thai food IMHO, unless something very bland is ordered.ย  Maybe just a slightly non western version of grilled meats with non spicy sides, then maybe a wine might work.ย  ย Sounds like a boring meal though, and almost an 'international' meal vs a Thai meal.

ย 

Thanks for sharing your thoughts! I understand where you're coming fromโ€”spicy Thai food can indeed be challenging to pair with wine. However, I've found that there are actually some fantastic wines that complement Thai cuisine really well, particularly dry rosรฉs and white wines. These wines can enhance the flavors without overpowering the spiciness.

ย 

For example, a dry rosรฉ can provide a refreshing contrast to the heat, while white wines like Riesling or Sauvignon Blanc often have the right balance of acidity and sweetness to complement Thai dishes. It's all about finding the right balance and experimenting to discover what works best for you.

With Reds...ย 

ย 

I like my wine and order plenty from dealerships in Thailand with a favourite being a Borolo and Montepulciano and Appasimento...ย 

ย 

BUT... with Thai food, I do not want to drink wine that may be as costly as this (>700 baht in Thailand)....

ย 

With Spicy food I have something much cheaper, a fruit wine such as Mont Clare....ย ย 

ย 

ย 

ย 

ย 

With Whites:ย 

ย 

I think a well priced Chilean Sauvignon Blanc works with spicy Thai food....ย  its relatively inexpensive....ย ย 

I wouldn't want to waste a decent Riesling or Grenache etc on spicy food...ย 

ย 

ย 

But really, I find Thai food goes very well with beer...ย  perhaps I've been conditioned...ย 

ย 

ย 

• Agree 1

Posted (edited)
18 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

BUT... with Thai food, I do not want to drink wine that may be as costly as this (>700 baht in Thailand)....

With Spicy food I have something much cheaper, a fruit wine such as Mont Clare....ย ย 

With Whites:ย 

I think a well priced Chilean Sauvignon Blanc works with spicy Thai food....ย  its relatively inexpensive....ย ย 

I wouldn't want to waste a decent Riesling or Grenache etc on spicy food...ย 

But really, I find Thai food goes very well with beer...ย  perhaps I've been conditioned...ย 

ย 

ย 

ย 

Beer always works with Thai food, indeed. But personally, I've cut down on that as I have to limit my carb intake. ๐Ÿ™‚

ย 

We do have some excellent wines that pair really nicely with Thai food. Our in-house expert recommends these, and none of them break the bank:

ย 

We also have a really good promotion: 6 bottles (2 red, 2 white, and 2 rosรฉ) for only 2,495 baht. That's just 416 baht per bottle. These all work great with Thai food too.ย 

ย 

Cheers.ย 

Edited by SpiritHouse

Posted (edited)

If you want a stronger wine with Asian food, especially very spicy Asian food, then this is the best:

ย 

image.png.5389b1768b74a549444479e35d51f61d.png

ย 

Best to buy the stuff from GuiZhou

image.png.bda2636541d510fe7dac00e92574cc78.png

ย 

ย 

Edited by GammaGlobulin
  • Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

I foundย Prosecco goes well withย เธเธธเน‰เธ‡เธเธฃเธฐเน‚เธ”เธ”

Just drink the wine and bingo the shrimp have all jumped off the dishย 

• Haha 2

My wife cooks falang food very well, so the issue doesn't arise.ย  But when I eat her pad thai and other

Thai dishes, I always stick to Beer Lao, or indeed virtually any beer.ย  Wine?ย  Maybe a sweeter white, even something as bold as Gewurtztraminer

• Like 1

A good sauvignon blanc or chablis work every time. But, they are hard to find here due to the inane taxes on wines.ย 

ย 

And the recent reduction in one of the taxes does not seem to have affected wine prices one iota, due to the fact that there are multiple municipal, state, provincial and other taxes that have not been affected at all, so taxea are still upwards of 300%.ย 

ย 

They have completely retarded what could be a multi-billion dollar industry.ย 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

A good sauvignon blanc or chablis work every time. But, they are hard to find here due to the inane taxes on wines.ย 

ย 

And the recent reduction in one of the taxes does not seem to have affected wine prices one iota, due to the fact that there are multiple municipal, state, provincial and other taxes that have not been affected at all, so taxea are still upwards of 300%.ย 

ย 

They have completely retarded what could be a multi-billion dollar industry.ย 

ย 

The tax reduction has brought headaches for importers. Every single bottle in their inventory must be re-registered with the government before they can apply the new tax rate. Some importers are also holding large inventories that have already been taxed at the old rate. So this is an ongoing process.ย 

ย 

In any case, the average price reduction, when everything is said and done, lands at about 10-15% for the consumer. We were hoping for up to a 40% reduction, as some predicted, but that will not happen under the current tax structure. It is a step in the right direction, but the tax is still quite high despite the reduction.

ย 

At Spirit House, we will reduce prices as bottles with the new tax rates become available.

ย 

• Thumbs Up 2