Chiang Mai Zoo

theoldgit

Well, sorry but even big international chains pull the Thai numerals scheme. Why do you suppose that big banner on the side of the Chiang Mai Best Western Hotel reads:

and not a regular number that seems perfectly fine to price things like noodles and water melons.

This reminds me of eating at the Kao Tom 1 Baht restaurant on Rajadamnern Road a while ago. I had chicken with cashew nuts and when I got the bill I was amazed to see that they'd charged me 80 baht. I pointed to the menu on the wall (all written in Thai) which clearly stated that it was only 40 baht and the waiter, looking a bit alarmed that I could read it, rushed off to talk to the owner. A few minutes later he returned and said that the price on the wall was only for Thais and that I had to pay 80 baht. Needless to say I didn't go back there again.

Well, sorry but even big international chains pull the Thai numerals scheme. Why do you suppose that big banner on the side of the Chiang Mai Best Western Hotel reads:

and not a regular number that seems perfectly fine to price things like noodles and water melons.

This reminds me of eating at the Kao Tom 1 Baht restaurant on Rajadamnern Road a while ago. I had chicken with cashew nuts and when I got the bill I was amazed to see that they'd charged me 80 baht. I pointed to the menu on the wall (all written in Thai) which clearly stated that it was only 40 baht and the waiter, looking a bit alarmed that I could read it, rushed off to talk to the owner. A few minutes later he returned and said that the price on the wall was only for Thais and that I had to pay 80 baht. Needless to say I didn't go back there again.

Very typical of the narrow minded Thai attitude. So many just don't understand the concept that pissing off customers is a poor business practise in the long run. One bad experience and a potentially good customer not only never comes back but he tells a whole lot of other potential customers.

As I stated on the Pattaya forum there are hundreds of cafes and restaurants standing empty while a few restaurants are turning away people because they have too many customers. It ALWAYS comes down to value for what you are getting.