State Of Emergency In Pattaya, Chon Buri

george

Well, I'm on 2nd Rd. No state of emergency here, not even a solitary plod.

Only reason I knew to come check it out was because news on TV in restaurant. I asked waiter where the trouble was and he said Royal Cliff, then said something like "tourists finished", but I don't know what he meant.

Certainly, no Thais seem perturbed about it.

Update. Spotted 5 plod hiding in Bodegas. Perhaps they're "undercover"!

• Replies 254
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I don't understand that with the inactive posts?

I would love to be at an inactive post with full salary....

Full salary doesn't amount to much, and inactive posts have no lucrative 'tea money" potential.

I think many people have missed a very important point

State of Emergency is declared in Chonburi, but All the red shirts already left Pattaya for Bangkok.

No state of emergency in Bangkok? Do they want to wait for another airport seizer?

Also now being Songran and people play with water guns, so being state of emergency will i get arrested or shot for having a water gun in Pattaya?

On another note, because it is Songran, why not use the water cannon on the red shirts under the pretence of being Songran

Right now they offer free tourist visa's, very soon they will have to offer money something like $10 000 per head just to come to Thailand(Something like Australia did with UK BACK IN 1960'S)

I personally have never heard or seen a man throwing a bomb at gas station, then being arrested and released because police was surrounded by the mob

(As per news the other day, taxi driver threw a bomb at petrol station, was arrested but released within seconds because police was surrounded by the red shirts)

If this is not a green light to commit any crime i wish as long as i have enough people with me to surround the police-then i do not -know what is.

What a shame!

But I think a shame for the Police and the Military, not able to secure an International Political Summit. They seem to be utterly incompetent or unwilling to do their job. It's time for some people to quit and not just to an inactive post. To quit and give back the badge. Maybe better they look for a job as security guard at the local shopping mall, that's where all the incompetents are now.

Has Abhisit waited too long? Hasn't he learned that the policy of avoiding confrontation leads to nowhere? Hasn't he studied exPM Somchai's way to retirement?

It doesn't pay to simply abandon law and order for the misunderstood sake of democracy. What the Yellow Shirts have done without being held responsible has now been repeated by the Red Shirt. What these hooligans are doing, whatever is the color of their shirts, has absolutely nothing to do with democracy.

And I am ready for any bet that they will face not consequences and will not be held accountable.

Now let's see if the Blue Shirts can top that.

:o

Edited by dominique355

But what does state of emergency actually means?

Does it mean police and army will now use the force? or all of us people living in Pattaya have to walk around in fear of being attacked?

Lucky for me, i live 100 meters away from red shirts camp(which was overnight near Big C)

Not only i was unable to go get some food, but had to listen to the crap all night long. Mind you with so many people all 7 elevens and family marts were emptied out of food and drinks in under an hour.

So not only i could not buy any food, i also could not order any food.

So state of emergency means, they will use force to move the camp or does it mean i have to starve to death or ????????????????

Do not need to worry about my other half, she can cook and eat all the bugs and grass around the condo, but i am not at that level yet

:o you cracked me up... I was reading this and when I got to the part about your better half cooking and eating the bugs and grass around the condo... I spit pepsi through my nose.... :D

:D I'm with you on that one khaowong1, it tickled me too! I know what he means though, my wife can make a meal where there isn't any food! :D

I seem to have a different take than most here.

It seems finally the government has been imposed on by the calls for protest by a seditious agitator from outside Thai borders. I think now they can take much more potent measures against Thaksin than they would have been inclined to heretofore. All those corruption charges are standard Thai baggage, but fomenting the overthrow of a government with no standing yourself is a supremely stupid and dangerous act, as I think he will soon learn.

agreeing with you...

the thing that comes to mind... Didn't Hitler have this same kind of support and reaction? The then 'german government' was incapable of solving the peoples needs...therefore this lion slipped in with 100% support of the people doing his work...

I maybe wrong, but remembering my history...

Could we see another small country create a bigger world problem on the rise? Crazy as it sounds, the whole world is in a financial, economic, global warming rise... there is something that will tip the iceberg to cause it to fall... what better way to create an international(Asean Conference) incident then the one we are seeing here.

Thailand is not pre WWII Germany, they don't have the M.I.C to even pose a threat to world order if that is what you are implying. Germany may have been geographically small but in most other ways they were (and still are) a major player in the international system. They provided to the arts and scientific communities;they were a country going forward, be it the wrong way.

Geopolitically speaking, Thailand will have a hard time even getting a seat at the bargaining table for a little while and to be honest, there isn't anything they can do about it due to their lack of politically unity and lack of M.I.C. Things will stay intact because of the mon________, but who knows after it is gone.

If things in the international system got to the point of protectionism, which I don't think they will, sorry to say but Thailand would be left on the outside looking in. Its not fair to say they are a joke of a country, but it is fair to say they are at a major disadvantage and seem to be in a slow decent backwards.

Edited by Digitalman

Does it mean police and army will now use the force? or all of us people living in Pattaya have to walk around in fear of being attacked?

Lucky for me, i live 100 meters away from red shirts camp(which was overnight near Big C)

Not only i was unable to go get some food, but had to listen to the crap all night long. Mind you with so many people all 7 elevens and family marts were emptied out of food and drinks in under an hour.

So state of emergency means, they will use force to move the camp or does it mean i have to starve to death or ????????????????

Do not need to worry about my other half, she can cook and eat all the bugs and grass around the condo, but i am not at that level yet

:o you cracked me up... I was reading this and when I got to the part about your better half cooking and eating the bugs and grass around the condo... I spit pepsi through my nose.... :D

At least you got pepsi, i did not even have that. lol

Looking out from the balcony there were a few thai girls walking around the grass area in the condo, they all must of been looking for dinner and breakfast :D

What is going on here? The location for the summit was ideal. I live 5 minutes from there. Access could only be made from two roads, block these roads at the entrance and protestors would be kept well away from the main hotels involved.

During the last two days we have had to endure chaos as the police did just that. Many roads were blocked and traffic turned away. What happened? The police had no problem stopping me and turning me back, why allow all the Reds access?

How they got near the summit just doesn't make sense. But I am just a stupid Farang, what do I know.

Chris

All is not lost, the police are still out in force stopping motorcyclists on Sukhumvit and Rama IV and extracting their Songkran money.

Its called state of emergency, police needs some money for the holiday

Do not need to worry about rock being thrown into PM's head or attacks on foreign leaders, but a farang driving a motorcycle is a huge crime, and do not forget if you throw away a cigarrete butt-thats a crime also punishable by 2000 baht fine. But a taxi driver throwing a bomb in gas station is called fight for democracy

Quote from the article: the Democratic Alliance Against Democracy (DAAD)

Isn't it the Democratic Alliance Against Dictatorship?

Interesting mistake.

what article is that then?

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/2009/04/11...cs_30100256.php

This one in 'The Nation'.

Thanks for that! I have long called them "Dickheads Absolutely Against Democracy" so this little slip tickles a bit :o

Helps a little, to find a small nugget of humour in an otherwise dismal situation...

Looking out from the balcony there were a few thai girls walking around the grass area in the condo, they all must of been looking for dinner and breakfast :D

What colour shirts are they wearing???

What is going on here? The location for the summit was ideal. I live 5 minutes from there. Access could only be made from two roads, block these roads at the entrance and protestors would be kept well away from the main hotels involved.

During the last two days we have had to endure chaos as the police did just that. Many roads were blocked and traffic turned away. What happened? The police had no problem stopping me and turning me back, why allow all the Reds access?

How they got near the summit just doesn't make sense. But I am just a stupid Farang, what do I know.

Chris

You got it Chris, we are all stupid farangs and have no idea about anything.

May be all farangs should put on white shirts and start something alike. We will be fighting for farang rights, double pricing etc.

Do you think we stand a chance? LOL

Have you ever been to one of their demonstrations? Or the yellow shirts, for that matter? I wouldn't believe everything you read in the press and online.

I saw them outside Pattaya police station a few nights ago, the main speaker was kind of like hitler on yaba, maybe he was saying something interesting but I doubt it, I did ask a few of the ladies what he was saying and they said shorttime

Funnily enough the TW thought he looked like hitler,

I heard hitler was on amphetamines anyway.

Are you sure it wasn't shortterm they meant :o

forseen was that 1.000.000 would lose their job

i guess for some people that was not enough and now aiming for 2.000.000 ?

great with all this crap and my yearly immigration duty stuff comming up ...

i still wonder every day, i do not get unemployment money, social security, pension here from thai government, but i have to go to do all this crap every year while each thais get all above, for free, no need to report every 3 months that they live in my home country, getting free accomodation, no need to renew any paper once they got for 5 years, get benefits paid by my home country...

ah crap

Chris

a couple of 500b notes I guess

What colour shirts are they wearing???

Some black, some half naked -LOL :D

Chris

security wise they could n't organise a piss up in a brewery.........just pathetic.feel sorry for pattaya.

"Thai State Of Emergency" = send 2000 troops stand watch the protestors carry on what they are doing??

The whole thing is a joke.Unbelievable.

Yeah its no longer a case of Thailand losing face, somebody stole the face, wedged open the mouth & took a massive dump inside it! :o

Edited by neverdie

:o This whole circus is tragic for the people who are going to lose their jobs because tourism will collapse. The world has many alternatives and will rapidly take their business there. What beggars belief is the attitude of the ordinary Thai people I know who just shrug their shoulders & walk away from the issue or say 'you should not compare Thailand to England or USA'. Well I have news for them the people who have money to spend are doing those comparisons right now and it is not a pretty picture. This country needs to stop being so inward looking and tied to the past. Yes be proud of history heritage & culture, but get into the real world. Without strong leadership there will be no government that can tackle the problems. Schoolboy Abhisit needs to either grow 'hair' or get out of the job and let someone else get down to work. But then again, there is no one who has any ability is there!

Pride Cometh Before a Fall.

No mystery as to why this was allowed to happen.

The police were humiliated at Swampy when it became abundantly clear that they would get no support from the army, an integral part of the Yellow shirt coalition.

This is payback time from Thaksin's troops.

I have to ask a question that’s been bugging me for some time now. The Thai's see us Falangs (they will never capitalize this word) as money only! They tolerate our presence at best for reasons I’m sure we are all (as guests) well aware of. Throughout this "circus act" over the last couple of years I have to wonder when the Thai's attention will turn to us. How and more importantly WILL the government be able to control the spit roasting and consuming of tasty falang flesh?

Joking aside... for me this is a serious matter. My children are half Thai and I now consider this my "home" (I still have an emotional bag packed just in case ... and who hasn’t with this farce of control?)

Any thoughts people?

This are a couple of very important points here.

I have felt for quite some time that as Farang I am considered an alien here. They acutually call us aliens in all thier immigration documentation. But I mean the Thai people condsider us aliens as aliens from the outer space. Do they like us? Of course not. Would they do a lot to get rid of us? Of course yes. We don't belong here in "thier" part of this planet and really should best go back to where we came from. But of course "in the meantime" since the aliens are spending big it's okie to deal with Farang, pretend to sell us Thai land, steal from us and extract money in every possible way. It even feels partiotic and in good tone for Thais to do that. If you don't believer just watch their reactions when you tell them somebody cheated you or stolen from you. The reation is "so what? .. u farang deserve it so don't complain". So the point number one is we don't belong here and never will no matter how hard some of us try.

Even the more important is the issue of our personal safety. Minorities have always been on the receiving end at times of trouble throughtout history of many societies. Small religious groups, minority ethnic groups like Jews in pre-war Germany or Whites in Zimbabwe finished pretty badly and there are lessons from history for us here. It is not quite unthinkable to imagine the situation in Thailand to detoriate with more and more rule of the mob, lawlessness and crime being made worse by the poor economic situation and the mindset towards "rich foreigners". This has been of my deep concern for long time and makes me feel even less stable and welcomed here. Point number two: keep your eyes open guys, be kind and try to re-arrange your matters in the most prudent way since our days can be numbered in this country. I can only hope the worst will not happen.

Really a sad state of affairs all around for Thailand. As others have mentioned, the fact that the security forces didn't stop the protesters and basically allowed parts of the hotel to be trashed (see pics on TV news of the Reds prancing around inside the hotel) shows that civil control of the country is starting to come unglued. I mean, anyone who knows the location of the Royal Cliff Resort knows is is probably the most defensible spot in Pattaya (and certainly more so than any venue in Bangkok). It's on a hillside peninsula with access by only 1 or 2 roads and the sea/air. How any protesters were allowed to come up the hills from either Pattaya or Jomtien is beyond belief.

They could have very easily been allowed to protest at the area at the bottom of the hill or the 3rd Road Bali-Hai pier flyover road could have been closed and used as a protest venue.

The more important point is the general breakdown of government control of territory and civil affairs around the country. Just look at yesterdays bombings and ambush of the trains down south, with 4 killed and 5 or so injured and the suspension of train service to the area. Basically, the central government has lost control of the 3 southern provinces for the past 3-4 years.

Then you have these kangaroo governments (both Abhisit and Somchai) who don't seem to have control of Bangkok or the security services. You have Prime Minister's cars being attacked (and the attacker being let go), government offices being occupied for weeks/months on end, the airport seizures (Phuket and Bangkok), cabinet meetings being moved all around the country because no secure places can be found to have them..it's just a government disarray.

Really seems the country has painted itself into a corner and there doesn't seem to be any easy way out.

On the bright side, here on the Farside, life is normal and no crowds or demonstration or noise. Just glad I'm sluming it over here and don't live on the hi-so beach-side of Patters :o

Edited by MeetJohnDoe