State Of Emergency In Pattaya, Chon Buri

george

The whole world is laughing at Thailand.

Sorry, you are seriously incorrect!

The majority of the people on the Earth do not even know where the country of Thailand is! :o I am from the USA and I can tell you that the majority of the population in the USA cannot even locate Thailand on a map. Probably 98 % of the pop. does not know what is happening in Thailand now or during the past 2 years. Many of you posters make it sound like Thailand is "losing face" and the world is laughing at them. You are wrong! Most of the world has no clue as to what is going on in LOS, they have their own problems, and they do not care! You posters are overly dramatic and emotional. And big deal if the Asean heads of state have to leave. You make it sound like it is the end of the world. There are 10,000s of more pressing problems on the Earth. You need to get out of you Expat insular bubbles behind your computers and stop whinning.

Many of the posters here amuse me with their ignorance and the views of their "own little world behind the computer in or out of LOS". And BTW, I do not support Thaksin but I do support the rights of both sides to peacefully protest. The protests prove there is much more freedom in LOS than in many other countries. In fascist countries the people would not even be able to gather in groups. Think of Saudi Arabia, North Korea,China, etc. I don't believe Thailand loses any face. They gain face for allowing the freedom to protest without having government employees (military, police) killing and beating protesters as would happen in many other countries including the USA. Cheers to Thailand! I just wish people would be peaceful and do no harm to property or people! :D

• Replies 254
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I have to ask a question that’s been bugging me for some time now. The Thai's see us Falangs (they will never capitalize this word) as money only! They tolerate our presence at best for reasons I’m sure we are all (as guests) well aware of. Throughout this "circus act" over the last couple of years I have to wonder when the Thai's attention will turn to us. How and more importantly WILL the government be able to control the spit roasting and consuming of tasty falang flesh?

Joking aside... for me this is a serious matter. My children are half Thai and I now consider this my "home" (I still have an emotional bag packed just in case ... and who hasn’t with this farce of control?)

Any thoughts people?

This are a couple of very important points here.

I have felt for quite some time that as Farang I am considered an alien here. They acutually call us aliens in all thier immigration documentation. But I mean the Thai people condsider us aliens as aliens from the outer space. Do they like us? Of course not. Would they do a lot to get rid of us? Of course yes. We don't belong here in "thier" part of this planet and really should best go back to where we came from. But of course "in the meantime" since the aliens are spending big it's okie to deal with Farang, pretend to sell us Thai land, steal from us and extract money in every possible way. It even feels partiotic and in good tone for Thais to do that. If you don't believer just watch their reactions when you tell them somebody cheated you or stolen from you. The reation is "so what? .. u farang deserve it so don't complain". So the point number one is we don't belong here and never will no matter how hard some of us try.

Even the more important is the issue of our personal safety. Minorities have always been on the receiving end at times of trouble throughtout history of many societies. Small religious groups, minority ethnic groups like Jews in pre-war Germany or Whites in Zimbabwe finished pretty badly and there are lessons from history for us here. It is not quite unthinkable to imagine the situation in Thailand to detoriate with more and more rule of the mob, lawlessness and crime being made worse by the poor economic situation and the mindset towards "rich foreigners". This has been of my deep concern for long time and makes me feel even less stable and welcomed here. Point number two: keep your eyes open guys, be kind and try to re-arrange your matters in the most prudent way since our days can be numbered in this country. I can only hope the worst will not happen.

You sound bitter. "Pretend to sell us Thai land"??? Sounds like you got scammed. You should have believed people who told you that you can't buy land in Thailand. Of course I don't know if Thais dislike you or not. I've known some farangs that all the Thais in the vicinity <b>did</b> dislike, but so did the other farangs. You're bothered because they call you an alien? Look it up in the dictionary. It means someone who is not a citizen.

It might be a good idea to learn at least a little Thai and move to a neighborhood where not many farangs live. I get along fine that way. :o

The majority of the people on the Earth do not even know where the country of Thailand is! :o I am from the USA and I can tell you that the majority of the population in the USA cannot even locate Thailand on a map. Probably 98 % of the pop. does not know what is happening in Thailand now or during the past 2 years. Many of you posters make it sound like Thailand is "losing face" and the world is laughing at them. You are wrong! Most of the world has no clue as to what is going on in LOS, they have their own problems, and they do not care! You posters are overly dramatic and emotional. And big deal if the Asean heads of state have to leave. You make it sound like it is the end of the world. There are 10,000s of more pressing problems on the Earth. You need to get out of you Expat insular bubbles behind your computers and stop whinning.

Many of the posters here amuse me with their ignorance and the views of their "own little world behind the computer in or out of LOS". And BTW, I do not support Thaksin but I do support the rights of both sides to peacefully protest. The protests prove there is much more freedom in LOS than in many other countries. In fascist countries the people would not even be able to gather in groups. Think of Saudi Arabia, North Korea,China, etc. I don't believe Thailand loses any face. They gain face for allowing the freedom to protest without having government employees (military, police) killing and beating protesters as would happen in many other countries including the USA. Cheers to Thailand! I just wish people would be peaceful and do no harm to property or people! :D

Well that just shows you how ignorant some of the population is in HAMERICA, no wonder that country has such a poor reputation. By the way, which country is that, the one with all the debt, the one that crashed the world economy, the one that killed thousands of innocent people with its bloodthirsty hunger for war? Ohhh yeah, I know the place you mean HAMERICA!

When will you people learn.....HAMERICA is not the world & I'm betting theres heaps of people looking at whats going on here in Thailand, most of them are too busy laughing at the USA to have time to laugh at Thailand.

The majority of the people on the Earth do not even know where the country of Thailand is! :huh: I am from the USA and I can tell you that the majority of the population in the USA cannot even locate Thailand on a map. Probably 98 % of the pop. does not know what is happening in Thailand now or during the past 2 years. Many of you posters make it sound like Thailand is "losing face" and the world is laughing at them. You are wrong! Most of the world has no clue as to what is going on in LOS, they have their own problems, and they do not care! You posters are overly dramatic and emotional. And big deal if the Asean heads of state have to leave. You make it sound like it is the end of the world. There are 10,000s of more pressing problems on the Earth. You need to get out of you Expat insular bubbles behind your computers and stop whinning.

Many of the posters here amuse me with their ignorance and the views of their "own little world behind the computer in or out of LOS". And BTW, I do not support Thaksin but I do support the rights of both sides to peacefully protest. The protests prove there is much more freedom in LOS than in many other countries. In fascist countries the people would not even be able to gather in groups. Think of Saudi Arabia, North Korea,China, etc. I don't believe Thailand loses any face. They gain face for allowing the freedom to protest without having government employees (military, police) killing and beating protesters as would happen in many other countries including the USA. Cheers to Thailand! I just wish people would be peaceful and do no harm to property or people! B)

OMG - how utterly embarrassing.

Losing face in front of your neighbours etc.

Now then..........there is going to be SIGNIFICANT fall out from this, and rather than Abisit shooting himself in the foot, i think this could be Taksin shooting himself in the foot.

The Government wont take this lying down.

I foresee an immediate revocation of Taksin's Thai passport which will keep him in one country. Then they will actually actively seek to extradite him, as opposed to just talking about it.

And then the real bloodbath begins. But at least it will the final chapter instead of just carrying on forever.

This is not a good day which ever way you look at it.

What a tin-pot country!

Kasit assures leaders of safety at summit

Published: 9/04/2009 at 12:00 AM Bangkok Post Yesterday

Foreign Minister Kasit Piromya has assured the safety of all 16 delegation heads at the East Asian summit beginning in Pattaya tomorrow.

Mr Kasit yesterday confirmed security arrangements after Prime Minister Abhisit Vejjajiva was besieged on Tuesday by red-shirt protesters when he left the Royal Cliff Beach Hotel, where the summit will be held.

Deputy Prime Minister Suthep Thaugsuban said the incident had not been anticipated. Security for the leaders participating in the summit will adhere to international standards.

Mr Kasit said officials were confident they could meet all security challenges. Strict surveillance measures will be in place at airports and hotels.

"Protests are a basic right, but we will not accept violence which could happen," he said.

So far, no government of the participating countries had inquired about the safety of the summit. The Foreign Ministry had given a briefing about the issue a few days ago, he said.

"No foreign embassy has asked about the red-shirt protesters because we have given them the confidence that we are in control of the situation today," he said.

Mr Kasit said he cancelled a meeting with foreign envoys in Bangkok yesterday because of the demonstrations.

He will join the East Asian summit as well as other meetings with the foreign envoys on April 17 as planned.

National police chief Patcharawat Wongsuwon said police have designated an area for protesters who turn up at the summit 2km from the venue.

....and I bet he still keeps his job! You'd think he could have passed on some insider tips on protest techniques to help the security wouldn"t you?

Actually, much as I loathe Thaksin for his evils, this has been a breathtaking piece of political theatre. Consider the following from an asian/ASEAN perspective:

• Getting his face back after PAD & co removed his proxy government with the airport stunt
  • Telling ASEAN golfing buddies he is still a (cyber) force to be reckoned with.
  • Showing the ancien regime how a modern autocrat manipulates the masses and international opinion with a minimum amount of military intelligence support

I certainly don't want him back, more inviolable than ever but if the conservatives keep leaning toward the Burmese model to avoid the Nepal scenario they are handing it to him on a plate. If modernisation and fair democratic adaptation doesn't occur soon. All Thais will suffer. And for all those old establishment figures who like to be photographed visiting the temple, here's a reminder:

The word 'Anicca' is a household word in any Buddhist country. It means Impermanence.

Another word often jointly used by the Lord Buddha is 'Viparinamadhammo' meaning the nature of change. Impermanence or change is a fundamental concept in Buddhism. Without a realisation of it, there can never be any true insight through which we can see things as they really are.

The Buddha teaches that we can only understand Dukkha and Anatta through an understanding of Anicca.

The Buddha however has chosen Dukkha as the central point of realisation of the truth. This choice is a very skilful method of explaining the realities of life.

It is the knowledge of Anicca, impermanence, that heals Dukkha, suffering. By understanding Anicca, we come to understand that there is no permanent entity underlying our life (Anatta).

A lack of this right understanding will certainly result in finding oneself in :he wild jungle of perverted perception, polluted thought and tainted view. (Sanna, Citta and Ditthivipallasa). A failure to comprehend this truth, Anicca, will also leave one unprotected from a false notion of self or soul which dangerously underlies any wrong view.

The good ole' days of the 60's and 70's have gone. The nation has moved on. For 80 years people were conditioned to be unified and nationalistic and insulated from the wider world. The establishment hase been wrong-footed again by a modern multimedia mogul, please don't reach for the blunt instrument. Adaption, not violence; is the key to survival :o .

The majority of the people on the Earth do not even know where the country of Thailand is! :o I am from the USA and I can tell you that the majority of the population in the USA cannot even locate Thailand on a map.

and the majority of those could not even locate the United States on a map of the world unless they were asked to point out Estados Unidos.

Flame deleted - mario2008

Not sure if you dialed the wrong address, but this is thaivisa.com not worldvisa.com

Which means this forums are for expats and people who visit frequently so the issues discussed are related to Thailand

Yes Thailand did loose face in the Asian World. Not sure what people you know, but i am sure 99% of educated people know Thailand and its location. Its simple geography that kids study in schools across the world.

Also "normal" people watch news such as CNN and BBC and all others, so they kind of see the news-which kind of makes them aware of the situation.

If this was North Korea or Arab visa.com then you could mention what other country's allow or do not allow, but most of us winging expats sitting behind the computer are affected by the situation and hence we express and share our concerns-if you do not like it, just log onto another site.

Well that just shows you how ignorant some of the population is in HAMERICA, no wonder that country has such a poor reputation. By the way, which country is that, the one with all the debt, the one that crashed the world economy, the one that killed thousands of innocent people with its bloodthirsty hunger for war? Ohhh yeah, I know the place you mean HAMERICA!

When will you people learn.....HAMERICA is not the world & I'm betting theres heaps of people looking at whats going on here in Thailand, most of them are too busy laughing at the USA to have time to laugh at Thailand.

Yes, I was wondering when someone would turn this into an anti-American diatribe.

Are you serious, or just taking the psss, The majority of people on earth live in asia, not the US. The stability of countries are of pressing concern to us living in the area. I am glad you are amused by the comment here, I am appalled by the ignorance of your comments.

The majority of the people on the Earth do not even know where the country of Thailand is! :jerk: I am from the USA and I can tell you that the majority of the population in the USA cannot even locate Thailand on a map. Probably 98 % of the pop. does not know what is happening in Thailand now or during the past 2 years. Many of you posters make it sound like Thailand is "losing face" and the world is laughing at them. You are wrong! Most of the world has no clue as to what is going on in LOS, they have their own problems, and they do not care! You posters are overly dramatic and emotional. And big deal if the Asean heads of state have to leave. You make it sound like it is the end of the world. There are 10,000s of more pressing problems on the Earth. You need to get out of you Expat insular bubbles behind your computers and stop whinning.

Many of the posters here amuse me with their ignorance and the views of their "own little world behind the computer in or out of LOS". And BTW, I do not support Thaksin but I do support the rights of both sides to peacefully protest. The protests prove there is much more freedom in LOS than in many other countries. In fascist countries the people would not even be able to gather in groups. Think of Saudi Arabia, North Korea,China, etc. I don't believe Thailand loses any face. They gain face for allowing the freedom to protest without having government employees (military, police) killing and beating protesters as would happen in many other countries including the USA. Cheers to Thailand! I just wish people would be peaceful and do no harm to property or people! :burp:

:o:D:D:D:D:wai::P you live in a cave?

spot on muythai. but I think what people mean by "world is laughing" is not literally that everyone is laughing, but simply that its a farce which most people would laugh at. I dont think anyone really believes most of the world knows whats going on here, but anyone who watches a major news channel will have heard "something" about "thailand", or was it Taiwan? having some sort of problem.

it seems as if the lunatics are now running the asylum.

a few minutes before the statement a red shirt leader spoke to the press from the lobby of the royal cliff hotel that they had stormed , saying that the government had one hour to arrest the men (blue shirts)who shot and wounded a taxi driver or they would storm the meeting itself.

i find it unbelievable that

1. the govt. chose to hold this meeting in a location like pattaya , so easy for the protesters to get there and assemble.

2. that the police and army could not secure the area where the meeting was to be held and prevent this disruption.

3. that the hotel security was breached so easily.

it is as if they wanted to let the red shirts win the day.

its very embarrassing for the country.

Ordinary Thais wont like this red shirt action

OIrdinary Thai do like this Red shirt action... rich Thai's don,t like this action.. but are far from ordinary...

After being in Thailand for as long as you have Churchill, I'm surprised your wife had to 'tell' you that.

Corrupt Yes , everyone knows - but hated by all sides and so are scared to take action - No I was not aware .

Edited by churchill

^ Well Bonobo, you know I don't think this is the place to come riding in here on the 'high' American horse & wave top end statements around about nobody in the USA knowing where Thailand is. Its more like everyone knows where America is, now if only we could find another planet to send them to.

This poster has led with the chin, now hes going to get knocked out, its the way it works.

Well in Austria it is well known and the news are on the front page of the newspapers. but people anyhow just see it as Banana Republic and thailand just proofed that it is true.

Seriously, some of your posts are okay but you're chasing a rabbit there my friend. Get back to contributing something to the topic rather than showing your anti American sentiment and personal biases. Just a word of wisdom, people will respect your opinion more if you refrain from showing your ass.

OIrdinary Thai do like this Red shirt action... rich Thai's don,t like this action.. but are far from ordinary...

My masseuse is an "ordinary" Thai.  She works at Koh San, and no, she is not happy with the red shirt actions of the past few days.  They are directly affecting her ability to make a living.

Yes i agree.Thats just how it is!

it seems as if the lunatics are now running the asylum.

a few minutes before the statement a red shirt leader spoke to the press from the lobby of the royal cliff hotel that they had stormed , saying that the government had one hour to arrest the men (blue shirts)who shot and wounded a taxi driver or they would storm the meeting itself.

1. the govt. chose to hold this meeting in a location like pattaya , so easy for the protesters to get there and assemble.

2. that the police and army could not secure the area where the meeting was to be held and prevent this disruption.

3. that the hotel security was breached so easily.

it is as if they wanted to let the red shirts win the day.

its very embarrassing for the country.

Ordinary Thais wont like this red shirt action

I have doubts, all Thais I know don't like it. But I must admit I don't know any Thai who like the reds/Thaksin.

Are you serious, or just taking the psss, The majority of people on earth live in asia, not the US. The stability of countries are of pressing concern to us living in the area. I am glad you are amused by the comment here, I am appalled by the ignorance of your comments.

Its bred into them waza, he can't help it, hes been brainwashed to think the world revolves around the USA.

It is a classic to see that Asian is going to be the new world leader, China is going to stomp on the head of America in due course & Asian contries are going to rule supreme. Now if only Thailand could get their act together, they could prosper too.

^ Well Bonobo, you know I don't think this is the place to come riding in here on the 'high' American horse & wave top end statements around about nobody in the USA knowing where Thailand is. Its more like everyone knows where America is, now if only we could find another planet to send them to.

This poster has led with the chin, now hes going to get knocked out, its the way it works.

His post was pretty inane, idiotic and far from accurate.  It was sort of on topic, though as it was about whether the world (and from hsi narrow perspective, the USA) is laughing at Thailand due to the recent redshirt actions.  However, yours in response was no better, in my humble opinion. It was merely USA-bashing, and I don't think that has a place here anymore than UK-bashing, China-bashing, Russi-bashing, or any other bashing that sometimes rears its head here on TV.

The majority of the people on the Earth do not even know where the country of Thailand is! :D I am from the USA and I can tell you that the majority of the population in the USA cannot even locate Thailand on a map. Probably 98 % of the pop. does not know what is happening in Thailand now or during the past 2 years. Many of you posters make it sound like Thailand is "losing face" and the world is laughing at them. You are wrong! Most of the world has no clue as to what is going on in LOS, they have their own problems, and they do not care! You posters are overly dramatic and emotional. And big deal if the Asean heads of state have to leave. You make it sound like it is the end of the world. There are 10,000s of more pressing problems on the Earth. You need to get out of you Expat insular bubbles behind your computers and stop whinning.

Seriously, some of your posts are okay but you're chasing a rabbit there my friend. Get back to contributing something to the topic rather than showing your anti American sentiment and personal biases. Just a word of wisdom, people will respect your opinion more if you refrain from showing your ass.

My apology digitalman, its just everytime one of these ignorant &lt;deleted&gt; comes riding in on his high horse, I can't help but show my arse.....I have my doubts that it stinks as much as his sentiment though.

I would almost bet my bottom dollar that you won't find another poster that is ignorant to state that he believes most people don't know about Thailand.....unless of course you drag another brain dead punter out of hamerica. :o

ps: I'm guessing your a citizen of the good ole usa?

Edited by neverdie

Good conference and hotel facilities within easy reach of the airport - seems sensible to me. It's not the venue, it's the poor security that was the problem. The disruption would have happened wherever they held it.

Edited by Tyke

His post was pretty inane, idiotic and far from accurate. It was sort of on topic, though as it was about whether the world (and from hsi narrow perspective, the USA) is laughing at Thailand due to the recent redshirt actions. However, yours in response was no better, in my humble opinion. It was merely USA-bashing, and I don't think that has a place here anymore than UK-bashing, China-bashing, Russi-bashing, or any other bashing that sometimes rears its head here on TV.

Comment noted, kind sir. Next time I will take it to PM, but I think you will find that some people need to engage brain & realise that their brain dead upbringing hasnt been enforced upon the rest of the world.

I dont understand what good a state of emergency will do now,its a bit like closing the barn door after the horse has bolted.would have been better to have taken security measures before the conference began.How could they let a motley crew of red shirts disband such an important event for thailand.Maybe they will use this as an excuse to crack down on dissenters,who knows!

I just can't believe how incredibly selfish this small group of people have been. The whole purpose of this summit was to develop economic stimulus packages to help literally billions of piss poor people around the Asia pacific region during this economic downturn.

They obviously feel their quest is more important than the millions of unemployed, sick and hungry who may have benefited from this summit in someway. A true democratic value if ever their was one.

Just so they could get 'their victory' millions will now have to wait for a new summit to be arranged (when all the leaders have a free slot in their schedule) and then once an agreement has been made, wait for the benefits if the deal to trickle down to them.

In my many years here I've always kept put of Thai politics as my friends say foreigners should keep out of Thai politics - but here the red shirts are involving foriegners in thier dirty political dance.

Selfish, selfish little s**ts

The majority of the people on the Earth do not even know where the country of Thailand is! :o I am from the USA and I can tell you that the majority of the population in the USA cannot even locate Thailand on a map.

and the majority of those could not even locate the United States on a map of the world unless they were asked to point out Estados Unidos.

I just hope all you red shirt polarized scum of ThaiVisa are really happy at what your boys and your bum chum Thakisn have achieved today.

Now it's even yellow versus red, you've both f**ked up paradise, you've both shat in your own nest, you're both a set of brain dead morons. Don't believe me? Go look in the mirror. Darwinian deselection in process, fortunately you don't have the wherewithall to reproduce.

Darwinian Deselection in process. Nice observation Pretty much sums it up