Locating A Lost Mobile

Flash500

I have just misplaced/lost my mobile phone, cant remeber where but by now its been picked up, sim changed and away with its happy new owner!!

Anyway, maybe I have been reading too many spy novels, but is there a way of locating it as it has GPS satellite capability, it runs Garmin navigator.

Its an HTC P3300 Navigator if it helps.

Any help or suggestions ?

For a lost phone to find it back: unlikely you manage that BUT you can make it utterly useless to the thief.

To do that properly you need the 'imei' number, normally in the phone under the battery, on the box if you bought it new and in your case maybe the gps manufacturer. Check your invoice, check anything where they may have written it down and in NORMAL cases you could go to the shop where you bough the simcard Or the unit.

You likely will not get the unit back but please remember it for the future as IF you have the number you may need a passport or id card to get number cancelled but this is exactly what I told a Thai girl to do when her phone and simcard were stolen and while she didnt get her phone back she got new simcard with same number!!

And the money which was in it had only 50 baht used up.. I told her also when you have same simcard and it HAS been used they can tell you who has been called so likely the Thiefs friends /Familly are in it as having been called. IE asking for a list of your bill (with all the calls specified to where they were made) you should be able to get if you want. She didnt want as it was a customer who nicked the phone!

You should have loaded anti theft software on it!

http://remotetracker.sourceforge.net/

It's free, and you can activate the GPS and get the location back just by sending an SMS to it.

It will also automatically activate the GPS and send the location to a pre-programmed number when the program detects that another sim card has been inserted.

Is there any way things like this can be send to the Imei number?? I mean his phone / GPS has already been nicked...

I have just misplaced/lost my mobile phone, cant remeber where but by now its been picked up, sim changed and away with its happy new owner!!

Anyway, maybe I have been reading too many spy novels, but is there a way of locating it as it has GPS satellite capability, it runs Garmin navigator.

Its an HTC P3300 Navigator if it helps.

Any help or suggestions ?

You have done about you could at this point, kiss off as a LOST and buy a cheap Mobile, unless you just cannot do without the expensive fancy phones, if this is the case go for it, it's your baht and will be your lost. :o:D

It won't help in recovering your mobile, but you could ask the police to message bomb your phone. I'm not sure if this is possible in Thailand, but i had it done in holland when min got stolen. At least you'll have the knowledge that the person who stole it can't use it either.

That remote tracker program cools nifty, too bad it's for windows mobile so it won't work on my phone.

If you know the IMEI number the phone can be blocked from working and so useless. To find out your phones number press *#06# that will give you the number. No god to the OP but for anyone else. If it gets stolen it can be used to identify your phone and block it from accessing the various mobile networks. :o

Thank for all the good replies...my fault really, seems I shut the stable door after the horse bolted!!!....ah well you live and learn

Actually I am not really into fancy expensive phones, but I need the WM6, outlook etc for work.

Cheers

Gordon

Flash have you thought about getting an air card instead of a phone ? You just put a pay as you go sim in the modem and access the internet via your lap top. With AIS you pay 100 baht for 30 hours of internet using the EDGE network. Fast enough for most internet usage unless you are dealing with big file down loads :o

• 2 months later...

Imei number is often printed on the box,together with other info,barcode etcProbably you have it!.Whoever sold you you phone,should keep records of it.It is also recorded in electronic archives of telco,which gave you SIM card,but not so easy to dig out.

General public is not aware of IMEI,but those who know - it can be changed for 200B only,phone dealers know;many do not care,so keep trying - LOS finest solved a lot of criminal cases using IMEI.Do you need contact to private eye?