Police Volunteers Again !

arachne

I don't know who to feel more sorry for, the Thai police that they need foreign helpers to sort out problems in their country or the foreign volanteers who feel they must get involved with one of the worlds most corrupt police forces!!!!!

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

My 14 year old daughter has been learning Kung <deleted> at his school here in Pattaya for 4 years now and loves it. It has given her strength, agility and confidence. His Dojo has literally hundreds of 'photos of him meeting Thai dignataries and I see the M 16 quite often!!! He has been the chief instructor to the Royal Thai police force for almost a decade now. He has also started the World Kumite Championships with the headquarters here in Pattaya, I think maybe you should get out more and see what is happening in your neibourhood!!!

I commend you and your daughter, trust me I have been there too.

He is not the the instructor to the Royal Thai Police he is a hand to hand combat instructor to the military police (slight difference)

Martial Arts aside (WKO) is a year old. (Karate)

Sirr Gee Dorr Kung <deleted> is what he claims to be a master of

Having a M16 laying around is dangerous especially in a dojo. (He's a show off)

Again credit where credit is due as far as the gym goes but do not believe any story he tells you.

Why have SWAT all over your car, why dress in a police uniform every day, strutt around and why carry a weapon in public?

Especially if you're the hand to hand combat instructor.

Why defend this behavior?

Edited by MP5

:o:D:D NanLaew are you one of the MIB?, does the thought of Farangs peeing their pants get you off on an authority trip, I think everytime a post about these guys on this forum appears it's interesting how highly regarded they and their actions are within the Expat community.

Or does their black garb make you pee your pants before you get within 100 yards?

I think its obvious from these boards that many people do find their garb and attitude intimidating. I dont know if thats their intention, they may very well be nice guys that just want to help, but the fact is they made a big mistake in the image department and hopefully they will go about changing it, havent seen any attempt yet however.

If they dont affect you ignore them.I have no desire to speak with them or have help but some people do.The time to worry if these translaters ask to show id or get in your face,i wouldnt show any id to them but ask to go to the thai police station if i have a problem.

It seems to me that a lot of people have a view, be it positive or negative on the value of these volunteers. The main crux of all the threads that I have read appears to be that they would be welcomed if they did provide a useful service to the tourists and expats. However the main bone of contention here is that they appear unapproachable due to their demeanor and their particular choice of uniform. These 2 main bug bears voiced by the majority should be easy to resolve. However it would appear that the powers that be dont want to address these negative issues and would seem to be on some sort of power trip. I am sure that the majority would agree that a strictly controlled, well trained (by that I mean people skills and language skills) and obviously easily approachable local volunteer group would be a useful contribution to the local community.

Don't forget there are in fact 3 sets of Farang volunteers.

1) The TP. These provoke the most comments. These are found in Walking Street wear the uniforms and all the gadgets.

2) The one at Soi 9 Police Station. These sit at a desk in the police station and are there for people to approach and ask questions of proceedure etc. They do wear a uniform, black trousers and black shirt with Police Volunteer embossed.

3) The Immigration Police volunteers. These don't where any uniform and inform in IP of suspects working without permits and overstayers.

It seems to me that a lot of people have a view, be it positive or negative on the value of these volunteers. The main crux of all the threads that I have read appears to be that they would be welcomed if they did provide a useful service to the tourists and expats. However the main bone of contention here is that they appear unapproachable due to their demeanor and their particular choice of uniform. These 2 main bug bears voiced by the majority should be easy to resolve. However it would appear that the powers that be dont want to address these negative issues and would seem to be on some sort of power trip. I am sure that the majority would agree that a strictly controlled, well trained (by that I mean people skills and language skills) and obviously easily approachable local volunteer group would be a useful contribution to the local community.

However it would appear that the powers that be dont want to address these negative issues and would seem to be on some sort of power trip

Who are they, the "powers that be"? I have never seen any chain of command, but have seen a few posts referring to Howard as the man i/c. Who gives the orders around there anyway?

I have to wonder about this Miller idiot, he loves plastering pictures of unfortunate dead farangs and thais on his media outlets but doesn't seem to like having a vid of him taken. A vid on youtube sees him trying to stop a guy (with the help of a FPV out of uniform) taking a video on walking street, he accuses the guy of taking the video of taking it "covertly" why would he be worried about this, has he something to hide :D

Youtube Video link

Dang, the <deleted> that gave us grief on a rare night out into town has a name! hahaha I'll have to make sure my husband sees this video.

This wanna be copper actually tried to START trouble with my husband. Seems Mr. Miller, who was walking in front of us took great offence when he heard my husband explain to his friend (who was here on holidays) that they were just wanna-be-coppers after our friend asked who these foreigners dressed up as police were. Miller immediately turned around and started ranting and raving and calling him all sorts of things. The fact that he was getting right into our personal space made ME want to knock some sense into the loser, but my husband just told him to "F#$* OFF W#$%@!" and we just walked away. Should've seen the loser run back to his cronies and start going off and pointing out my husband to them.

FPV's sure have issues, and Millers little performance that night left a great impression on our visiting friends who said this fool was the biggest tosser they came across on their holiday to thailand. Keep up the good job boys :o

You made this story up, right? It's too amusing to be true.

The story is fact and the "keep up the good job boys" was simply sarcasm :D

I really don't care what these people do.

What I find hard to understand is the following;

The laws governing any type of work and/or volunteer work by foreigners is quiet clear and is legislated by Government which are supposed to be upheld by the different Government Departments. No body or individual under Law has the right to amend such laws unless passed by Parliament.

I remember when the Tsunami hit and a number of Foreign rescue volunteers that had flown in to assist were locked up for a day or so for not having a work permit - this was quickly sorted and amended by Parliament.

Therefore, how and why is it so that groups such as these can simply walk the streets supposedly upholding the Law when their actual presence and performing of this volunteer work is clearly against legislated Thai Law.

The translated version of the Foreign Employment Act is as follows and clearly outlines who is exempt from having to have a W/P

The Foreign Employment Act (2008) came into force on 23 February 2008. It repeals in full the previous Foreign Employment Act of 1979 and amendments and regulations made under that Act, except in relation to the transitional provisions and grandfathering provisions discussed below.

Excluded categories of foreign employees: The Act does not apply to the following foreign employees:

(1) members of a diplomatic mission. NO - NOT THEM

(2) members of a consular mission; NO - NOT THEM

(3) representatives of member countries and officials of the United Nations Organization and its agencies; NO - NOT THEM

(4) personal servants coming from foreign countries to work regularly for persons in (1), (2) or (3); NO - NOT THEM

(5) persons who perform duties or missions under an agreement between the government of Thailand and a foreign government or international organization; NO - NOT THEM

(6) persons who perform duties or missions for the benefit of education, culture, art, sport, or others activities as prescribed by Royal Decree; - NO - NOT THEM

(7) persons admitted by the government of Thailand to enter and perform any duty or mission, with or without conditions. NO - NOT THEM

They would be a lot more approachable if they were made to wear plain white shirts and shorts with perhaps a white baseball cap with a volunteer badge clearly marked on the front and carry nothing more than a whistle.

I really wish I could just go to sleep following an enjoyable night out in Pattaya. I don't like getting involved in the banter surrounding the expat scene in the city and these days, from previous experience, I'm trying to avoid it. BUT.....

Tonight I was walking with friends down walking street when I couldn't help notice several groups of farangs consisting of one black shirted caucasian accompanied by a group of Americans in white t-shirts. I spoke to one of the Americans who told me he was a member of the Military Police taking care of the estimated thousands of American servicemen currently roaming the streets of Pattaya that night. The frang ion the black shirt was their "police adviser" (sic).

All well and good, maybe. Until I noticed that the black shirted farang (police volunteer), who we are all well accustomed to by now, had somehow been promoted into the ranks of the Boys in Brown. I spotted four farangs clad in a vest with the bold lettering "POLICE" emblazened on both sides of their upper torso together with the very large logo of the Royal Thai Police. "FPV" was printed on the bottom of the vests in (much) smaller lettering.

What the hel_l is going on!!? We are all well aware of the rivalry between between Miller and Colov, but now it seems the one-upmanship is being played out in the insignia department.

There is no doubt whatsoever that the uniforms worn by the foreign police (FPV) in Walking Street tonight identified them as bona fide police.

This has got to stop. Now. I'm sorry, maybe it's just me, but I was sickened by the sight of some farang exerting authority in this manner. Colov 'sand Miller's gangs must be disbanded immediately and a new group of volunteers established to serve all the the police departments together - regular police, Immigration police and Tourist Police.

Miller and Colov, stop your public displays of preening, and establish an organisation that concentrates on assisting the hapless tourists in an altruistic manner, rather than feathering your own nests.

dear newbie

i sat and read your post . a post from someone who does not seem to know anything about what is actualy going on around him never mind what the fpv or the tpa are all about . it is obvious from your comments that you are one of the many gossip mongers who just like to winge and moan about anything in life . in my opinion both the tpa (tourist police assistants )and fpv (foriegn police volunteers) do a very worthwhile job assisting many tourists on a daily basis .the tpa and the fpv are not in oposition to each other but have very different roles . you may also have noticed that fpv members do not carry any equipment as the role they carry out at soi 9 or with the navy shore patrol does not require them to do so . your comments are not helpful as these people give up their free time to assist others , what do you do to help others in your life ? please in future when making comments do your own research as do not listen to gossip . <snip>

Edited by soundman
Removed flame.

This is from Pattaya Mail newspaper March 20th,mailbag,letters to editor section.

http://' target="_blank">Chased by a drunk volunteer policeman

Editor;

I was riding my motorcycle around 8:15 p.m. on Beach Road, Jomtien, Tuesday 10th of March, around Soi 7, heading towards Thappraya Rd. I had just left my home (I don’t drink) when a drunk falang riding the wrong way, weaving in and out of traffic honking his horn on his Honda Phantom motorcycle, almost caused an accident with a couple of people. Then he crosses over almost hitting me. By the way, I’m a good rider. I have been riding motorcycles for many years (8 in Thailand). I honk at this drunk falang without a helmet and he tries to run me off the road. He keeps pulling in front of me telling me to stop. I, being afraid of this large individual, race to the police box at Thappraya Rd and Beach Rd. He races too, weaving behind me.

I go into the police station where he tells me that he is a policeman. A Thai policeman comes into the office, looks at the drunk, and asks for our license. At that time I see the drunk that has been chasing me is a volunteer policeman. The real policeman tells him he is drunk, go home and next time wear a helmet.

I’m starting to realize that “some” of these wan-ta be policemen are a big problem, letting their position go to their head. Maybe more of a back check from where they came from is needed, as I’m sure this guy had many problems in his home land.

One can join the volunteer police force and make a good contribution in assisting the Thai police, but it seems some of these wan-ta bees join so they can show off their power. They should be relieved of their badge.

I thank the Thai policeman for his help. I only wish he had put this drunken danger to the road behind bars for a couple of hours so he could ride home a little more sober and not cause more problems to other people.

A concerned expat