State Of Emergency Declared For Bangkok

george

Hmmm any sensible new PM elected by their Party would want a 'popular' mandate - you know - you are not stupid - the only reason current governemnt are 'in' is because the democratically elected govt. were kicked out through legal process - NOT BY ELECTION

..... but that does not make it undemocratic.

...technically no... but Thais did not vote him in either chai mai? surely the answer is let the people have there say at the ballot box not through violence?

Thais didn't vote Samak or Somchai in as well.

Democrats and TRT 2nd Edition had almost the same amount of votes and most of the coalition partner told before that they would not work together with TRT 2nd Edition.

So Samak and Somchai or Abhisit are not much different in this.

Take it a step further, when samark stepped down, somchai was choosen by the lower house no new elections were had. Why didn't the UDD protest that ? oh yeah because they are not about democracy just about thaksin and somchai was thaksins boy.

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So the previouse goverment went to the country for mandate. Please.

The previouse government was made up by a coalition uf political partys some of wich said during the elections they would not form a government with the PPP.

Please explain that part of democracy.

I agree... but two wrongs don't make a right

Samaks was the first un-democratic party so none of those government should have been in power.

Thais belive not the thais i know in the North East. There attitude they give you 100 Baht and want to take back 5 or maybe 10.000 Baht.

Please this is not a personal attack but who you talk to and who I talk to have different views.

Thailand needs this present situation to stop for the good of everyone.

Get a period of complete calm then call election under the present conditions elections would only be a waist of time.

Protesters drive cooking gas tank into King Power head office

Protesters droved a LPG gas tank vehicle into the compound of the King Power duty free shop head office on Rangnam Road at 10:25 am Monday, raising fear that they would blow up the tank.

The Nation

From their breaking news

Despite obvious Englsh mistakes, here's another glimpse of what to come if this "democratic" revolution succeeds - the media are frist against the wall, an we are all for re-education camps,

The Nation is well known for being highly biased towards big business and the Yellow Shirts. I honestly don't know how much of this you can believe. As I have just posted on a different thread, I was there taking photos and video last night. Although I was frisked on entry, I was warmly welcomed and encouraged to take photos wherever I went. I explained that I was not a reporter, but would send anything newsworthy to the foreign press or post to the Internet. ** For the record, I was NOT wearing red. **

I have absolutely no reason to suspect that reds have told some reporters to get lost for being biased against them. I have no reason to belive that Nation made that story up. Who owns The Nation ?

Reds probably have a long list, starting with Manager and all the way down to Bangkok Post and the Nation. According to reds, the whole country is on elite payroll. It doesn't occure to them that they should respect the views of the whole country, but, being red revolutionaries, what do you expect from them but purges of everything non-red. We are about to do a great Thai leap, get strapped.

What do you know of the views of the whole country ? Don't you think the only way to actually know what the "whole country" really wants is to call for an election ?

Can somebody tell me what exactly an LPG gas tanker is? I did see some type of white and blue tanker truck, full of what, I don't know, parked right by the King Power offices. It was well inside the barricades seperating the compound from Soi Ragnam. Everyone seemed to be standing around staring at it.

LPG is Liquified Petroleum Gas, it's used to power cars. tend to explode easily, stay well clear of idiot with LPG trucks

Samaks was the first un-democratic party so none of those government should have been in power.

So the 2007 election did not happen then ? people did not actually vote for him? was it all an illusion or perhaps are bad dream?

LPG...Liquid Propane Gas?

Protesters drive gas tankers into residential area in Bangkok

www.chinaview.cn 2009-04-13 11:09:55 Print

BANGKOK, April 13 (Xinhua) -- Residents of Din Daeng area in Bangkok began to evacuate when protesters drove two tanker trucks fueled by NGV (Natural Gas for Vehicles) gas into the compound.

Reporters saw two NGV cylinders on the trucks and the red-shirted protesters shouted that the flat residents there should leave immediately, prompting speculation that the protesters would explode the gas tanks.

Many residents smelt the odor of the gas and began to flee away, TV footage showed.

Din Daeng is a key entrance to Bangkok as well as a major residential area, where the clash between anti-government protesters and the army took place hours ago.

Below are updates from TAN Network:

13/04/09

04.17: Dispersal of red-shirt protesters at Din Daeng intersection began

08.30: Pheu Thai Payap Panket, former Sing Buri MP, called on red-shirt protesters to surround and possibly torch King Power duty free in Rangnam

08.39: Red-shirts closed traffic at Sri Ayutthaya intersection near Foreign Affairs ministry. Buses used to block entries. Tires were set on fire causing heavy fumes and lack of visibility in the area

9.15: Police requested members of the press to leave Democrats headquarters after red-shirt protesters have threatened to torch the compound

9.30: Red-shirts took back control of Din Daeng intersection, LPG tanker blocks entrance/exit

10.05: Police and military call for back-up, fearing red-shirts protesters may use LPG gas tanker to torch Democrats headquarters

Can somebody tell me what exactly an LPG gas tanker is? I did see some type of white and blue tanker truck, full of what, I don't know, parked right by the King Power offices. It was well inside the barricades seperating the compound from Soi Ragnam. Everyone seemed to be standing around staring at it.

Liquified Pressured Gas (spelling???)

So a truck full of something like cooking gas inside steel tank.

The Nation recently posted a story that the Red Shirts have surrounded King Power on Soi Ragnam. I immediately walked over there after reading that since I am only about 500m away! I saw a lot of people standing around looking at the King Power Office but no red shirts. King Power has been surrounded by about 100 security guards for the past few days.

Bring on other firsthand accounts! We'd all be interested and it's nice to have a break from all the political analysis.

Thanks FD your info is of great value to us. Please copy your news and post in "Bangkok-Breaking_News" forum too. Keep your head down and be safe.

LPG...Liquid Propane Gas?

Protesters drive gas tankers into residential area in Bangkok

www.chinaview.cn 2009-04-13 11:09:55 Print

BANGKOK, April 13 (Xinhua) -- Residents of Din Daeng area in Bangkok began to evacuate when protesters drove two tanker trucks fueled by NGV (Natural Gas for Vehicles) gas into the compound.

Reporters saw two NGV cylinders on the trucks and the red-shirted protesters shouted that the flat residents there should leave immediately, prompting speculation that the protesters would explode the gas tanks.

Many residents smelt the odor of the gas and began to flee away, TV footage showed.

Din Daeng is a key entrance to Bangkok as well as a major residential area, where the clash between anti-government protesters and the army took place hours ago.

Okay! I just saw a picture of the truck on the Thai television news. That is the SAME TRUCK I saw parked by King Power on Soi Ragname 15 minutes ago. That truck is now parked at the head offices of King Power, about 50 m from Soi Ragnam right by the drive up entrance. A lot of people are standing around looking at it. Perhaps a red shirt drove it over here?? We are in Red controlled territory here.

Any reasonable person would question now why the government will not simply call elections. They would rather many people are injured and possibly die, ahead of them being reasonable and stepping down and simply calling elections.

Any reasonable person is perfectly clear why Abhisit does not want to call elections....... to prevent the precedence for armed insurrection on a whim at any time in the future, by any 'aggrieved' party/ies.

Perfect response thus far I would add, with just enough force so that no protesters are killed, but just enough to show that he means business, and allow the less motivated proteststors a chance to reconsider..... unlike any government response in Thailand that I can remember offhand.

Here is the Breaking News you are referring to.

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/breakingne...rs-to-surround-

Former Pheu Thai MP incite protesters to surround King Power head office

Phayup Punket, former Pheu Thai Party MP, incited protesters to surround the King Power duty free head office on Soi Rangnam Monday morning.

The Nation

Incite means to provoke or urge. Nothing in the report states that red shirt supporters have followed the suggestion.

Big problem. I just tried to go to the market for a beer and the entrance was blockaded by a soi dog chewing a red wrapper. The military hadn't arrived yet, and the police seemed uninterested in my plight. I was armed only with my super soaker water pistol so there was no was no way I was getting around that snarling mass on crawling fur.

It's getting scary out there.

I'll update you as the story progresses

Edited by humfurry

Below, current article from The Nation.

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/2009/04/13...on_30100377.php

Right now, military is reportedly asking Abhisit what to do. They say they can't do anymore if they are to remain lenient. Abhisit is in a tough situation. If he says end it, the military will, killing many. If he says stay lenient, the Reds will continue to take over all of Bangkok, hurting people as they go.

It is decision time.

The Nation recently posted a story that the Red Shirts have surrounded King Power on Soi Ragnam. I immediately walked over there after reading that since I am only about 500m away! I saw a lot of people standing around looking at the King Power Office but no red shirts. King Power has been surrounded by about 100 security guards for the past few days.

Bring on other firsthand accounts! We'd all be interested and it's nice to have a break from all the political analysis.

Maybe they had already cleared off? I watched the news yesterday, and learned of a protest outside the police HQ, close to Central World. When I arrived there, a handful of red shirt protesters were finishing off sweeping up the area, probably making it look cleaner than when they had started!

Events in the last 1 1/2 hours:

9.30: Red-shirts took back control of Din Daeng intersection, LPG tanker blocks entrance/exit

10.05: Police and military call for back-up, fearing red-shirts protesters may use LPG gas tanker to torch Democrats headquarters

10.11: Fire bomb allegedly thrown at and set fire to a traffic police booth near Transport Ministry on Ratchadamnern Nok Road

10.20: Red-shirts have once again occupied the Victory Monument

10.40: Democrats evacuated headquarters in response to threats by red-shirts to torch the compound with gas tankers

Former Pheu Thai MP incite protesters to surround King Power head office

Phayup Punket, former Puea Thai Party MP, incited protesters to surround the King Power duty free head office on Soi Rangnam Monday morning.

The Nation -

I think most posters here would support that :o

Right now, military is reportedly asking Abhisit what to do. They say they can't do anymore if they are to remain lenient. Abhisit is in a tough situation. If he says end it, the military will, killing many. If he says stay lenient, the Reds will continue to take over all of Bangkok, hurting people as they go.

It is decision time.

Tough call for abhisit i'm sure he does not want to take any action that hurts or kill people but it seems the red shirt are giving him no choice in the matter. Why are the red shirts always so violent? IIRC they have never really been a peaceful group, right from the start of the movement they were violent attacking PAD demonstrators back when his squareness was still in power.

So the 2007 election did not happen then ? people did not actually vote for him? was it all an illusion or perhaps are bad dream?

It was no illusion he was not voted for the coalition was made up by partys some of wich sated that they would not join this coalition during the elections.

Samak was elected buy the coalition government which should not have been allowed as it was in dirct conflict with varies partys promises during the election. Just after the election everone expected a democrat led coaltion.

Go and read the news.

Below are updates from TAN Network:

13/04/09

04.17: Dispersal of red-shirt protesters at Din Daeng intersection began

08.30: Pheu Thai Payap Panket, former Sing Buri MP, called on red-shirt protesters to surround and possibly torch King Power duty free in Rangnam

08.39: Red-shirts closed traffic at Sri Ayutthaya intersection near Foreign Affairs ministry. Buses used to block entries. Tires were set on fire causing heavy fumes and lack of visibility in the area

9.15: Police requested members of the press to leave Democrats headquarters after red-shirt protesters have threatened to torch the compound

Liquid Propane Gas dude. Extremely FLAMMABLE :o

It is decision time.

Tough call for abhisit i'm sure he does not want to take any action that hurts or kill people but it seems the red shirt are giving him no choice in the matter. Why are the red shirts always so violent? IIRC they have never really been a peaceful group, right from the start of the movement they were violent attacking PAD demonstrators back when his squareness was still in power.

by now with the LPG trucks in any normal country, the army would get the order to shoot at sight to prevent hundreds or thousands of deads, that's a terrorist attack.

Ok anybody in the tourist areas that can report whats happing ?

Kao San, Asoke, Chitlom Nana

any idea what the hotels are saying to the tourists

Thanks colino

Chidlom is as quiet as a quiet thing being quiet.

Central Dept Store is open. As is the BTS.

<Any reasonable person would question now why the government will not simply call elections. They would rather many people are injured and possibly die, ahead of them being reasonable and stepping down and simply calling election>

I can not believe some of the comments are made by people with some kind of intelligence

It they disolve parliment then there is no government in control

No Government means mob rule on the street

We can already see what the reds will do no with a Government in control

Take this defuser away and they will have a free reigh of terror to make sure they have their way

I am from Australia, have no sides to take

Just look at things with an open mind

And Love Thailand as I have a Thai wife and baby