State Of Emergency Declared For Bangkok

george

Protesters drive truck with gas cylinders into compound of Din Daeng flats

Residents of Din Daeng flats were terrified when protesters drove a truck fuelled by NGV gas into the compound.

The truck uses several NGV cylinders and the protesters shouted that the flat residents should leave immediately, prompting speculation that the protesters would explode the gas tanks.

The Nation

These people are beyond reason at this point. Its time to stop them. Using whatever means necessary.

Another classis non news item from the Nation.

Firstly they paint a picture that it is a truck full of gas cylinders ie one of those delivery trucks. That out of the way its so speculative that even they use the word "speculation".

Switch on your tv and let the pictures tell you what is happening .... and guess what their is gas truck manoeuvred by the reds inbetween flats ....

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Residents of Din Daeng flats were terrified when protesters drove a truck fueled by NGV gas into the compound.

The truck uses several NGV cylinders and the protesters shouted that the flat residents should leave immediately, prompting speculation that the protesters would explode the gas tanks.

The Nation

My wife heard rumors of that at work on Friday...looks like those rumors were true.

Just a point of fact here.

While many people who have never been in Thailand think Thais are mellow easy going people the rest of us who have lived in Thailand can tell you all that simply is not so.

Thai people have very explosive tempers.

If this thing goes to far, it will break into a real FIGHT. There could be bombings on a daly basis along with assassinations and full out fire fights.

I am sure many of you are aware of what happened in Lebanon to the city when the place broke into a fight. Total destruction

Of course we have the army here but really? Do we?

How long would the army stay unified if a real fight broke out? Lots of the men in the army are red Shits you know.

I see today that we saw the Thai army fire upon Thais and kill and wound 5 dozen or more. Likely it was much worse. What happens when the boys in Red start attacking back in a serious way?

City fighting takes away much of the advantage an army has.

Fighters can hide among people. They can hit and run.

They certainly can destroy the city.

They do not have to win a fight.

They just have to wreck the nation to win.

Think about it.

Also--the Thai government has to be under extreme international pressure now.

If it starts shooting down its own people in the streets, this economy will totally collapse and the nation will be Burma like.

Of course if I were betting, I would bet that we will have peace in a week or so. It will be like the last time and the last time and the last time.

But--it could hit a breaking point and the whole think could blow.

That sounds great, but if you are being honest... and you are one of those who is 'doing business' in Thailand, then you are well aware that if all actual corruption cases against MPs were fairly heard and tried there would be less than a handful of MPs left. I think prosecuting Thaksin is a great idea. However, I think if you put charges against him, bring him down, and ignore what everyone else has done, is doing, and will continue to do, it's a targeted exercise and won't solve the problem. What it does is show everyone that there is obvious bias in the judicial system, and to a lot of Thais, the only perceived difference with Thaksin is that he gave something (however little) back to the people.

And again, if the courts had done their job (at the insistence of the government), and prosecuted the last mob, we wouldn't have the current one, or Thaksin rearing his ugly head again. Injustice breeds indignity.

Yes the judicial system is in bad shape, but bring the worst to justice is better than nothing and the democrats are relative clean.

If that country want to move forward it must totally change its legal system, police and army. Just taking out the worst guy helps for a few month only.

Unfortunately the only one who had the power to change that (the military government after the coup) did nothing....so no change.

not later than 2-5 years the next Thaksin (maybe he is called Newin??) is coming.....get kicked out....the next one -->a coup....the next one.....it is going like this the last 60 years.....

I don't think that can be corroborated. Interestingly, a year or so ago the Bangkok Post printed the holdings of major MPs from all parties. There were a lot of seriously wealthy people with no explanations for their fat bank accounts. The PPP members were not among the richest (nor were the Dems), but I guess that means they are all "relatively clean". I should have kept that issue! Anyway, the Dems formed their government with those "dirty" parties, so you can see where their priorities lie.

Some posters seems suspiciously absent... The ones who first said there were only a handful of reds.. The ones who then said they'd just go home to their Lao Khao for Songkran.. The silence is deafening.

Well, I just woke up, today being a holiday and all.

As for wrong predictions - I hoped reds have some sense of humanity and civility left in them, that they'd follow the general rules of this country. Instead they went on a mindless rampage and left the rest of the country in shock at their fellow countrymen, forget their cause, that doesn't fly anymore, reds are on thown, and they NEED to be punished for their behaviour in the past few days. They can be forgiven and released afterwords, but their challenge to the state power must not be left unanswered.

As for news - so far I gather reds have been pushed out of Ding Daeng but still hold other intersections leading to Victory monument. Not a massive crackdown, but considering how many people are trapped there, genlte, slow approach is perhaps more humane, giving them time to assess their chances of victory, and giving time to their leaders to dig their graves.

Interesting that it's all happening during Songkran, when nobody is around and people generally don't want to get involved in anything. Abhisit better round it up before people return and start talking about him not doing his job. On the other hand, if they return to red free capital, he'd stay in government forever.

Again, I had no idea they were really that ready for a revolution, or that stupid. I mean, they are obviously not ready and obviously stupid - go for treason with no mass support, no allies in the armed forces.

They jumped the gun, and became massively revolting.

Residents of Din Daeng flats were terrified when protesters drove a truck fuelled by NGV gas into the compound.

The Nation

These people are beyond reason at this point. Its time to stop them. Using whatever means necessary.

like shooting at a gas truck?? :o

State of emergency declared for Bangkok

STATE OF EMERGENCY DECLARED FOR BANGKOK, 5 OTHER PROVINCES

BANGKOK: -- The government Sunday afternoon announced the state of emergency for Bangkok and some districts in satellite provinces.

The government reasoned that protesters had committed violence in the areas so the government had to declare the state of emergency to restore normality in the areas.

The areas include some districts in Nonthaburi, Samut Prakan, Pathum Thani, Nakhon Pathom and Ayutthaya.

Deputy Prime Minister Suthep Thaugsuban will be chief enforcer of the state of emergency measures.

Police and soldiers as well as civil servants will assist Suthep in the operations to restore normality.

After the announcement, Prime Minister Abhisit Vejjajiva went on TV live to explain the reasons behind the declaration of the state of emergency and give more details about the declaration.

Abhisit said the government had to declare the state of emergency because the government had to rush solve the problems before the situation escalate.

"The government has to declare the state emergency to restore normality as soon as possible," Abhisit said.

He said the government would do its best to avoid any loss to the people's life and he begged for public cooperation with the government to restore normality.

Abhisit said the chief enforcer of the state of emergency would have power to order arrests, searches of places as well as demolitions of any structure for the sake of law and order.

-- The Nation 2009-04-12

State of emergency declared across Bangkok and vicinity

BANGKOK : Thai authorities have declared a state of emergency across the capital Bangkok and surrounding areas, state television announced on Sunday, following political protests that closed a regional summit.

The decree came "because the situation is worsening with a group of people inciting unrest", a television announcer said before Prime Minister Abhisit Vejjajiva began a live speech on local television.

-- AFP 2009-04-12

show buisness. media spin.

those tanks are for what it's worth ................................props.

Issan thinks this is real.............by design.

stand back, watch it play out, find the producers of the " action". many answers there.

remember .................3rd world, trying to represent it's self as a force to be reconed with. some amature w/an eng./ epk. package,capturing a "scripted" "live " event, becomes " NEWS".................

" numb nuts " comes to mind. harmless...... really........................

watch the " knee jerk" reaction from the thai nationals....................... thats where the intention is. " money shot"

this is several moves away from the intended result. I dont question ,someone is VERY clever.

be advised, the media is being " spoon fed" this information. be very carefull of "NEWS"

this is totally transparent, orchestrated by card carrying amatures,.................consider the audience.....................the bar couldn't be lower.

great time to invest..............................................

good luck tourist industry.

NBT is currently showing the red shirts manuevering an NGV gas truck near an apartment complex. Presumably to keep soldiers from engaging them. Using the truck and the threat of an explosion in a populus area as a shield of sorts. Any debate that these people are peace loving needs to come to a close. They have shown that they are itching for a fight.

It is now clear why all of Thaksin's relatives fled the country.

Now you agree that the "airport thing" (I like how you try to soften it) had an inpact on tourism? Because back then you and Plus were claiming it had no effect at all on tourism... :o

No one claimed it had no effect on tourism, me in particularly - I stay clear off the talk about actual damages. Personally I've seen that a couple of weeks after the blockade the resorts on Koh Chang were fully booked again, and not by boat people. Personally I know that for diving in Similan this was a very good season (the best in years for one particular operator I go diving with).

That's all I know with any certaintly about the effect of airport closure.

Wow, war in the middle of Bangkok, soldier's are firing their guns at the protesters.

Funny how few the pictures are being released considering during the yellow dispersion on the last government, million of pictures were shown.

In the end, people resort to guns and not negotiations, I guess I Aphisit is no different, he just controls the Press better.

Most yellow protesters have high tech mobile phone that records high quality photos & videos. Also digital camera and other recording devices.

The Red in comparision as the poorer people that have limited recording devices in their phones. Also they are not used to taking photos, as they do not own a notebook to download the photos. Not to mention, how many of them know how to edit and transmit such thing, email, or put up a blog.

CH3 and the hi-so girls showing fahrang tourists squirting thai kids with water pistols in Khao San Rd. The acceptable face of civil disobedience? :o

Reporters move away from rally site at Government House following threats by protesters

Reporters covering the demonstration at Government House moved away after red-shirted leaders threatened to harm them for unbiased reports.

The red-shirted leaders said reporters were biased against the protesters so the leaders would not guarantee the safety of the newsmen.

The reporters moved away at 8:54 am.

Earlier, reporters at the Royal Plaza moved to Parliament at 7:30 am after protesters said they would not guarantee the newsmen's safety.

The Nation

Edited by OptimusPrimeBKK

Reporters move away from rally site at Government House following threats by protesters

Reporters covering the demonstration at Government House moved away after red-shirted leaders threatened to harm them for unbiased reports.

The red-shirted leaders said reporters were biased against the protesters so the leaders would not guarantee the safety of the newsmen.

The reporters moved away at 8:54 am.

Earlier, reporters at the Royal Plaza moved to Parliament at 7:30 am after protesters said they would not guaranteed the newsmen's safety.

The Nation

http://nationmultimedia.com/breakingnews/3...-at-Government-

>>>

Despite obvious Englsh mistakes, here's another glimpse of what to come if this "democratic" revolution succeeds - the media are frist against the wall, an we are all for re-education camps,

Edited by Plus

Looking at all the posts from the last 2 days, and taking away what people 'like' or support... I think there are generally these ideas that come out of it, when both sides are mixed:

1) Thailand has an elite class that follows a different system of laws. They have run the country for some time now, and for their own benefit. They keep the distribution of money and opportunities in their favor; corruption, if you must.

2) Taksin came along, continued the corruption, though amassed large amounts of profits for himself, and hence changed how money was distributed. Then, he sold popularist ideas to the Northern folk, whom he knows would accept his dealings as good governance. This is where people get divided. Some believe he did this well, others believe he didn't.

3) So anyhow, he was getting very popular, and no doubt corrupt. He was also gaining more power and using it less cautiously. Then the old school elite came in, kicked him out in 2006, corruptively set up courts and laws to persecute him, so they could continue to benefit and retain the power he was threatening to take for all.

4) Then, the concept of Royalism and republicanism was introduced to pave ways for potential lesse majeste laws to persecute him further.

Skip a few nonsense PM's trying to hold the reins............

5) The PAD came in representing the elites (and certainly undemocratic movement), and the other guys represented Taksin......

Abhisit's government gained hold of the reins.......... but doesn't support the elites [PAD], though is fine for them as they get to stay and keep the balance of cheques and dollars that is current.

Hasty Conclusion:

Taksin is corrupt, admittedly needing to be because of a corrupt system. He found it advantageous and has used it to profit himself. He is a good marketer.

The PAD are actually a nasty force to be reckoned with.... they represent the corruption this country has suffered for a very long time, and are not willing to let it go.

The military and police are divided. In these forces some have benefited from Taksin's regime and some from the old school elite. This is why the reshuffling is neccessary and conflicts of interest occur in these groups.

The courts and laws are not just, as they have never been. When Taksin was in power, they were manipulated to favor him. For the last 'god knows how long', they have favored the old school elite...........

Really, the old school need to be done away with. They have suppressed Thailand for so long with corrupt use of power to favor themselves. Taksin did the same for himself, but he was relatively new.

It's never going to go away then! Taksin, NO. PAD, NO WAY! Abhisit gov? Not supporting either, but allowing the old school elites to hold slight current favor over the Taksin regime.

Military coup? Just set's us back 10 years to the same problems.

Is this about right, in layman's terms? :o

Looking at all the posts from the last 2 days, and taking away what people 'like' or support... I think there are generally these ideas that come out of it, when both sides are mixed:

1) Thailand has an elite class that follows a different system of laws. They have run the country for some time now, and for their own benefit. They keep the distribution of money and opportunities in their favor; corruption, if you must.

2) Taksin came along, continued the corruption, though amassed large amounts of profits for himself, and hence changed how money was distributed. Then, he sold popularist ideas to the Northern folk, whom he knows would accept his dealings as good governance. This is where people get divided. Some believe he did this well, others believe he didn't.

3) So anyhow, he was getting very popular, and no doubt corrupt. He was also gaining more power and using it less cautiously. Then the old school elite came in, kicked him out in 2006, corruptively set up courts and laws to persecute him, so they could continue to benefit and retain the power he was threatening to take for all.

4) Then, the concept of Royalism and republicanism was introduced to pave ways for potential lesse majeste laws to persecute him further.

5) The PAD came in representing the elites (and certainly undemocratic movement), and the other guys represented Taksin......

Abhisit's government gained hold of the reins.......... but doesn't support the elites [PAD], though is fine for them as they get to stay and keep the balance of cheques and dollars that is current.

Hasty Conclusion:

Taksin is corrupt, admittedly needing to be because of a corrupt system. He found it advantageous and has used it to profit himself. He is a good marketer.

The PAD are actually a nasty force to be reckoned with.... they represent the corruption this country has suffered for a very long time, and are not willing to let it go.

The military and police are divided. In these forces some have benefited from Taksin's regime and some from the old school elite. This is why the reshuffling is neccessary and conflicts of interest occur in these groups.

The courts and laws are not just, as they have never been. When Taksin was in power, they were manipulated to favor him. For the last 'god knows how long', they have favored the old school elite...........

Really, the old school need to be done away with. They have suppressed Thailand for so long with corrupt use of power to favor themselves. Taksin did the same for himself, but he was relatively new.

It's never going to go away then! Taksin, NO. PAD, NO WAY! Abhisit gov? Not supporting either, but allowing the old school elites to hold slight current favor over the Taksin regime.

I think you have confused the PAD (Yellow Shirts) with the UDD (Red shirts). But they are both nasty pieces of work.

Hasty Conclusion:

We need to get rid of the old school elite in England, let alone Thailand.

I do admire Thai's for protesting - even if they are being paid. While British people just stand in line told what to do and dont even seem to realise it!

NBT is currently showing the red shirts manuevering an NGV gas truck near an apartment complex. Presumably to keep soldiers from engaging them. Using the truck and the threat of an explosion in a populus area as a shield of sorts. Any debate that these people are peace loving needs to come to a close. They have shown that they are itching for a fight.

I agree that it's stupid and dangerous, but these people believe (and it is reasonable considering history) numbers of them have been shot and killed by the military. In past military operations bodies were taken from the streets before they could be photographed or counted so their fears are not without merit. Most of these people are ordinary folks and are unarmed. They are not equipped to fight an army. What would you do in this situation? They are protecting themselves in a reckless manner, but parking the vehicle there is hardly an offensive act. The other side has APCs, tanks, machine guns, etc... that is no way to quell a civil disturbance. The Thai media is criminally biased in their reporting. They have been screaming about the violence perpretrated by the reds, but the only footage they have shown is the car driver being attacked (inexcusable, but isolated and not representative of a massive violent movement). I would think that the Thai media has far greater resources at their disposal, picture wise, but they have nothing to show to corroborate their reporting.

Sad times for Thailand again.It just seems to repeatteh same cycle endlessley. Hope everyone in BKK stays safe.

Here in smalltown Chonburi you wouldnt know anything was amiss as the surreal site of Songkran kicks off although it is expected to be a smaler event than in previous years.

77 injured after protest dispersed By: bangkokpost.com

Published: 13/04/2009 at 09:16 AM

Soldiers used tear gas to disperse protestors at Dindaeng intersection in Bangkok early Monday morning, resulting in 77 injuries. At least four people were seriously injured.

Army spokesman Col Sansern Kaewkamnerd said the soldiers were forced to break down the protest when negotiations failed after protesters wounded military personnel by ramming them with a bus and kept up pressure on authorities even after warning shots were fired.

Red-shirt leader Jatuporn Phromphan called on supporters at Government House to be on alert after the dispersal of protesters at Dindaeng, telling them authorities would need to wade through many red-shirted fronts before they reach the main protest venue.

Source - http://www.bangkokpost.com/breakingnews/14...otest-dispersed

I agree that it's stupid and dangerous, but these people believe (and it is reasonable considering history) numbers of them have been shot and killed by the military. In past military operations bodies were taken from the streets before they could be photographed or counted so their fears are not without merit. Most of these people are ordinary folks and are unarmed. They are not equipped to fight an army. What would you do in this situation? They are protecting themselves in a reckless manner, but parking the vehicle there is hardly an offensive act. The other side has APCs, tanks, machine guns, etc... that is no way to quell a civil disturbance. The Thai media is criminally biased in their reporting. They have been screaming about the violence perpretrated by the reds, but the only footage they have shown is the car driver being attacked (inexcusable, but isolated and not representative of a massive violent movement). I would think that the Thai media has far greater resources at their disposal, picture wise, but they have nothing to show to corroborate their reporting.

In this situation, I would go home. I hope most will choose that same option, if it is available to them.

In this situation, I would go home. I hope most will choose that same option, if it is available to them.

Well, expats aren't generally noted for their patriotism, so that's fair enough. But these people, right or wrong, believe that they are fighting for their country... and we all know how much the Thais love their country.

Some posters seems suspiciously absent... The ones who first said there were only a handful of reds.. The ones who then said they'd just go home to their Lao Khao for Songkran.. The silence is deafening.

When Hardtalk suggested (a couple of weeks ago) that 20,000 Red are trying to disrupt government work, Mark responded: 20,000? perhaps a couple of thousand. He was even sure that everything is under control.

Most of these people are ordinary folks and are unarmed. They are not equipped to fight an army. What would you do in this situation? They are protecting themselves in a reckless manner, but parking the vehicle there is hardly an offensive act. The other side has APCs, tanks, machine guns, etc... that is no way to quell a civil disturbance.

So what way would you quell a civil disturbance? As some give up, they are replaced by others upon the urging of Thaksin.

Soldiers used tear gas to disperse protestors at Dindaeng intersection in Bangkok early Monday morning, resulting in 77 injuries. At least four people were seriously injured.

Army spokesman Col Sansern Kaewkamnerd said the soldiers were forced to break down the protest when negotiations failed after protesters wounded military personnel by ramming them with a bus and kept up pressure on authorities even after warning shots were fired.

Red-shirt leader Jatuporn Phromphan called on supporters at Government House to be on alert after the dispersal of protesters at Dindaeng, telling them authorities would need to wade through many red-shirted fronts before they reach the main protest venue.

The last time it was the police that shoot the tear gas at the innocent people (as reported by ASTV, TOC, Manager.com)

Now it is the army doing the same. I am sure that police does not want to get involved anymore.

When Hardtalk suggested (a couple of weeks ago) that 20,000 Red are trying to disrupt government work, Mark responded: 20,000? perhaps a couple of thousand. He was even sure that everything is under control.

It should be noted that at the time that interview was filmed. That number was indeed correct. The number swelled about two days afterwards.

Anyone have any figures on how many are currently in front of Government House?

The last time it was the police that shoot the tear gas at the innocent people (as reported by ASTV, TOC, Manager.com)

Now it is the army doing the same. I am sure that police does not want to get involved anymore.

I got told (but it is just a rumor) that the Army is using "normal" american teargas not the chinese teargas bombs which the police used.

There's a serious standoff going on right now in front of the Century Park Hotel. I live near there and just got back from a walk over there. You've got hundreds of red shirts standing in front of the hotel, facing north, and hundreds of soldiers 50 m away facing the redshirts and they're just standing there staring each other down. A lot of foreigners at the hotel are standing out front watching the action. Bad scene indeed. I heard what I thought was a gunshot and started jogging away, but I guess it was something else though, as nobody moved. Startled the crap out of me. I'll be staying close to home for the rest of the day I believe.

Many are saying that if the PAD had been prosecuted then none of this would happen but do not forget the leaders have been charged & court cases are pending which we all know move notoriously slow in Thailand. Anyway that is just one of many excuses to justify the current protest. It is all about Thaksin the magalomaniac wanting his money & power back which is being obstructed bythe old elite. He knew exactly waht was going to happen which is why all his family have fled the country. I do not agree with how the PAD went about their business last year but for the Reds to shut down a summit which could have led to direct benefits for the whole country was inexcusable.

I agree that treason charges may be laid for inciting revolution & while they are at it the fugitive should be charged for crimes against humanity for all the senseless deaths during the drug war. See how he fares in The Hague.

1992 was similar apart from the dudes in Safari suits in pick ups.

Congratulations. Your red shirts are more violent and and deranged than most thought possible. :o

The 4am crackdown on Din Daeng intersection has shown that the army and police are behind the PM. Today would be a good day to stay home, for all those of you in and around Bangkok.

Stay safe everyone.

The 4am crackdown and injuring civilians might be all part of the larger plan.

Anyone who knows Thai's knows they will not accept the Army using force against civilians.

This action will now lead to more people joining the reds, more protests across the country.

The Army appear to be doing nothing.

The police appear on the reds side.

This is just "livening up things" to get the situation out of control, at which point the Red supporting Army side can stage a coup, which may lead to some gun battles against the Yellow supporting Army side. This is one likely scenario.

The government is now out of control of the country - the promised quick action at 5:20pm yesterday - but nothing happened.

Abhisit and the Democrats have blood on their hands, and Thais will never accept that. No government has ever used force and survived.ry

Vert interesting day today - could see the country paralysed by the reds.

Certainly the little bit of Din Daeng action today will have made many hundreds of thousands now move into the red camp.

Think Thai, not Farang.