Tanks Mobilised In Bangkok

george

This text from Optimusetcetc is a copy/paste from a newspaper. I read it before but can't recall where.

Nation, TOC or BBKpost......

If I am not wrong copy/paste from newspapers must be marked as such

Quite right. Newspaper clippings should clearly show source & date.

• Replies 336
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If Thai security troops can't do the job, then hire foreign troops that can.

It will take 3 months to process work visa, if the Thai government is opperating at all.

Call in Hun Sen for help? Perhaps Myanmar junta?

Edited by samgrowth

What I find absolutely incredible is that, despite Saturday’s ASEAN fiasco & the current turn of events referred to in the OP, the baht’s value is still stubbornly holding up. What a striking contrast to the UK where the £’s value seems to tumble whenever Gordon Brown sneezes!

they do get paid. My wife was called and asked if she wants to join. 500b / day and free food. Also free transportation to BKK. She also talked with some police officer here in CM, who was thinking about taking few days off from work and join in as he dont make the 500 a day as police. There are dozen of my wife's friends there making the 500b a day

My wife tells me the same. 500 baht to general mob, as much as 3,000 baht/day for the 'foremen' & recruiters.

My wife has been and is, as of yesterday, last night and this morning up there among the reds. She is with the masses that are still peacefully demonstrating. She tells me she's not being paid nor are any of the others she among. There is no reason for her to deceive me on this issue. She owns her own very respectable an lucrative business south of Bkk and she is losing money each day she closes up shop to attend the demonstrations. Her income is far more than 300, 500, 1000, and even 3000 forman/recruiter Baht earnings per day. So for the record, maybe some are getting paid, but definatly not all or majority.On a personal note, I'm remaining neutral, taking no sides, because quite frankly, I am farang and dont feel I am qualified or justified to have an opinion regarding Thai politics. On the other side of the coin, I let many a Thai know they are not qualified to have an opinion on American politics.

peaceful is a joke or?

OK...read thru almost 11 pages of this thread looking for "news" and found precious little...

Here's a summary of the latest as reported by Thailand Outlook Channel as of about 10 am...

New: The red-shirt protesters have managed to take back control of the Din Daeng intersection. An LPG gas tanker is being used to block access into and out of the area. Despite the government's declaration earlier this morning that they have dispersed the red-shirt protesters who have blocked off the Din Daeng intersection, the protesters have managed to overtake the area once again as at 8.45am this morning. An LPG gas tanker was seen blocking the intersection.

Prior: At close to 5am, the military started firing tear gas into the red shirt protest at the Din Daeng intersection as part of the plan to disperse the rally. Gun shots were heard periodically. A lot of injuries and arrests are expected.

Reports indicate that 77 people have been injured in the government's dispersal of red-shirt protesters at Din Daeng intersection. 24 people are being treated at the Ramathibodi Hospital. 8 people are at Rajavithee Hospital, including 1 individual who was suffered serious injuries from the incident. Three other individuals who are being treated at Phramongkut Hospital were also seriously injured. Most of the patients are suffering from irritations caused by tear gas.

Most of the red-shirt protesters have been dispersed and reportedly returned home. But there are still some number of protesters who are gathering at Government House. Soldiers have already surrounded the protesters and secured the outer perimeter of the compound.

Areas where there heavy presence of red-shirt protesters and to be avoided are: the entire Rattanakosin island, Sri Ayutthaya intersection, Rama 6 road, Phoholyothin road, Victory monument, Din Daeng intersection, Suthisarn that crosses over to Vipavadi, Arjnarong expressway exit and Yomaraj expressway exit.

Prime Minister Abhisit Vejjajiva went on national TV at about midnight to announce that arrest warrants have been issued for 5 red shirt leaders for disrupting the ASEAN Summit.

The red shirt stage at Government House has announced that red shirt leader Arisman Pongruengrong, who led the protest to disrupt the ASEAN Summit in Pattaya, has been released on bail and will leave the Naresuan military camp to appear on the red shirt stage later this morning.

The police have come out to warn that banks and petrol stations may be the targets of red shirt protesters in bombings and torchings to wreak havoc. Reports have also come in of red shirt protesters stealing a gas truck and parking it at the Din Daeng intersection, causing concern for people living in the area.

Members of the press covering the red shirt rally at Government House have retreated for fear of their safety after the protesters say they cannot guarantee their safety anymore. Another report says a group of 500 red shirt protesters are making their way to the Democrat Party headquarters to prepare to torch the building. Police presence there is limited.

Members of press at Royal Plaza have also left the area, after leaders of red-shirt protesters have announced they'll no longer guarantee the safety of the media. Most members of the press have fallen back to regroup at Parliament.

they do get paid. My wife was called and asked if she wants to join. 500b / day and free food. Also free transportation to BKK. She also talked with some police officer here in CM, who was thinking about taking few days off from work and join in as he dont make the 500 a day as police. There are dozen of my wife's friends there making the 500b a day

My wife tells me the same. 500 baht to general mob, as much as 3,000 baht/day for the 'foremen' & recruiters.

Sounds good - 500 baht, some free food, chance of stopping an Army bullet......................sign me up.

OK...read thru almost 11 pages of this thread looking for "news" and found precious little...

Here's a summary of the latest as reported by Thailand Outlook Channel as of about 10 am...

New: The red-shirt protesters have managed to take back control of the Din Daeng intersection. An LPG gas tanker is being used to block access into and out of the area. Despite the government's declaration earlier this morning that they have dispersed the red-shirt protesters who have blocked off the Din Daeng intersection, the protesters have managed to overtake the area once again as at 8.45am this morning. An LPG gas tanker was seen blocking the intersection.

Prior: At close to 5am, the military started firing tear gas into the red shirt protest at the Din Daeng intersection as part of the plan to disperse the rally. Gun shots were heard periodically. A lot of injuries and arrests are expected.

Reports indicate that 77 people have been injured in the government's dispersal of red-shirt protesters at Din Daeng intersection. 24 people are being treated at the Ramathibodi Hospital. 8 people are at Rajavithee Hospital, including 1 individual who was suffered serious injuries from the incident. Three other individuals who are being treated at Phramongkut Hospital were also seriously injured. Most of the patients are suffering from irritations caused by tear gas.

Most of the red-shirt protesters have been dispersed and reportedly returned home. But there are still some number of protesters who are gathering at Government House. Soldiers have already surrounded the protesters and secured the outer perimeter of the compound.

Areas where there heavy presence of red-shirt protesters and to be avoided are: the entire Rattanakosin island, Sri Ayutthaya intersection, Rama 6 road, Phoholyothin road, Victory monument, Din Daeng intersection, Suthisarn that crosses over to Vipavadi, Arjnarong expressway exit and Yomaraj expressway exit.

Prime Minister Abhisit Vejjajiva went on national TV at about midnight to announce that arrest warrants have been issued for 5 red shirt leaders for disrupting the ASEAN Summit.

The red shirt stage at Government House has announced that red shirt leader Arisman Pongruengrong, who led the protest to disrupt the ASEAN Summit in Pattaya, has been released on bail and will leave the Naresuan military camp to appear on the red shirt stage later this morning.

The police have come out to warn that banks and petrol stations may be the targets of red shirt protesters in bombings and torchings to wreak havoc. Reports have also come in of red shirt protesters stealing a gas truck and parking it at the Din Daeng intersection, causing concern for people living in the area.

Members of the press covering the red shirt rally at Government House have retreated for fear of their safety after the protesters say they cannot guarantee their safety anymore. Another report says a group of 500 red shirt protesters are making their way to the Democrat Party headquarters to prepare to torch the building. Police presence there is limited.

Members of press at Royal Plaza have also left the area, after leaders of red-shirt protesters have announced they'll no longer guarantee the safety of the media. Most members of the press have fallen back to regroup at Parliament.

who owns Thailand Outlook Channel ??

Good summary of events. Thank you. Even if the initial problems can be 'cleared up' to some degree,the protesters will be back until something gives in the way of either Abhisit resigning, someone important making an announcement (might not work on this occasion) or Thaksin is 'taken out' of the equation.

In my humble opinion, yesterday's savage attack on the PM's car coupled with similar intent in Pattaya last week,will have done nothing to have turned the tide in the reds' favour.

The PAD were wrong in many of their actions too,but unfortunatelyfor the 'red movement' it is about what is going on right now and the images in recent days are coming across as a lot more disturbing than last year's takeover of the airport.

Always knew they should have been colonised by the Brits and had some common sense and honesty knocked into them. You don;t get this sort of carry on in Singapore now do you?

I agree DragonFly. Iam not a Brit. However Iam sure if the Thais were colonized, they

would have alot more common sense :o . eg Malayasia,Singapore

Colonised? Brits and the so-called commons sense left behind in countries where you poms had your fingers in the pie? You mean like Pakistan, Palestine, Zimbabwe....? Are you on drugs or something?

Hi there.

I don't know about you but i am personally fed up with these red shirted idiots. While PAD's activities were somewhat legitimate (because they were against a government that came into power by vote buying and did only exist to serve a single person, Thaksin, instead to run a country) the similar activities of the red shirts are certainly NOT legitimate in any way - as they go against a government that indeed is 100% legit, tries to run the country and has yet to show signs of self-serving.

Also the red shirts have from the very beginning shown their violent roots - smashing car windows and personally attacking people in those cars, something the PAD has not done. "Peaceful" is not a word the reds have ever learned and probably never will. And now they use a gas tanker to hide behind? Cowards they are, and here they show it!

So, as much as i am against violence, in order to restore normality in this country the army really needs to get out the heavy stuff and mow down this mob, maybe after the first 100 are ex the rest will see that 500 Baht from Thaksin's wallet (which were robbed from those same people while Thaksin was in power!) aren't worth the risk.

Sorry for coming through so violent, but as stated i am simply fed up with Thaksin remotely controlling the destruction of the country i chose to live in (if he had the guts to fight among them - fine, but he's too coward for that, too! A coward leads his army of cowards from afar).

Regards

Thanh

Hi there.

I don't know about you but i am personally fed up with these red shirted idiots. While PAD's activities were somewhat legitimate (because they were against a government that came into power by vote buying and did only exist to serve a single person, Thaksin, instead to run a country) the similar activities of the red shirts are certainly NOT legitimate in any way - as they go against a government that indeed is 100% legit, tries to run the country and has yet to show signs of self-serving.

Also the red shirts have from the very beginning shown their violent roots - smashing car windows and personally attacking people in those cars, something the PAD has not done. "Peaceful" is not a word the reds have ever learned and probably never will. And now they use a gas tanker to hide behind? Cowards they are, and here they show it!

So, as much as i am against violence, in order to restore normality in this country the army really needs to get out the heavy stuff and mow down this mob, maybe after the first 100 are ex the rest will see that 500 Baht from Thaksin's wallet (which were robbed from those same people while Thaksin was in power!) aren't worth the risk.

Sorry for coming through so violent, but as stated i am simply fed up with Thaksin remotely controlling the destruction of the country i chose to live in (if he had the guts to fight among them - fine, but he's too coward for that, too! A coward leads his army of cowards from afar).

Regards

Thanh

This is a joke – right? All political parties in Thailand buy votes including the Democrats who are currently in power.

The yellow shirts were hardly a peaceful lot brandishing clubs, knives and even guns by the mob security forces. Correct me if I am mistaken but didn’t the yellow shirts kill several people during their months of demonstrations including a few at the airport?

The soldiers will not obey the orders of the rich and the elite. After all, they're mostly the poorest and sadly the most uneducated of Thailand.

Reading through your posts you come across as the most uneducated of them all... A perfect definition of a Red actually. I support neither Reds nor Yellows, but the Reds are coming off as far more fanatical, violent and dangerous that the peaceful Yellows ever did. Red leaders are publicly calling for violence and revolution. I hope the powers that be will give them a taste of their own medicine. The Reds started this latest fiasco and I will have no sympathy for them when they reap what they have sown.

Sounds good - 500 baht, some free food, chance of stopping an Army bullet......................sign me up.

So the the mob are left stranded and the invisible piper is still no-where to be seen.

These folk from upcountry must indeed be very uneducated and a little bit silly. Do they not wonder where this rent a crowd money is coming from??...

stolen from the country and the people themselves, and THEY STILL want him back!!

Apparently when some of the hillbillies arrived from up north they only recieved 100 baht and then were stranded here with not enough cash to get home...hmmm typical... maybe they will think again about there "esteemed" leader.

Seems Thacko tought the more prominent red shirts to well and they are doing a bit of skimming of their own :o

BCC is reporting, "Tanks been Hi-jacked on Bangkok streets by Red Shirts". They are showing footage of red shirt people jumping all over the tanks and seen to have control of them. BBC reported the tanks were taken over with no resistance !!!!!

So there are now tanks in Bangkok streets under the control of red shirts. It's kind of comical. I wonder how much tea money to the tank drivers????

Hehe... Indeed it is comical. It really is embarrassing for this country. They can't even maintain law and order from a disruption by a relatively small mob of thugs. I hate to think of what would happen if another country invaded.

These are Thai citizen not an invasion by another country

Do you really think the soldiers want to shoot these protesters?

Edited by LivinginKata
Inflammatory remark removed

I don't know about you but I'm personally fed up with those people who supported the PAD demonstration and now condemned reds' demonstration. PAD demonstration was in NO WAY legitimate but in supporting them you gave legitimacy to Reds' demonstation.

The Democrats had the chance to calm things down, but what those did ? They hired PAD activists, they actually promoted them to minister level, then they sued the police for their action during PAD protest, adding insult to injury.

Now those dumb ass want the army to open fire on the crowd, what the life of a few hundreds "rural people", they will learn their lesson and we will remind them their right place in the society at the same time.

I will stop now because I'm not a violent person, but please I hope that everybody will bookmark this page and later remember who asked first for the bloodbath.

On BBC worldnews, defiantly full sized tanks, with red shirts doing vioctory dances on them with wood and steal bars in their hands. The Army guys had big smiles, welcome to LOS !!!! :o

Looks like it will be a new difinition of 'low season' this year. A real shame for the silent majority.

Always knew they should have been colonised by the Brits and had some common sense and honesty knocked into them. You don;t get this sort of carry on in Singapore now do you?

Dragon fly, thanks for posting and I am shaking my head off. As an American I have no idea how are the Thais going to pay their bills. No tourists and no investments if they fight each others day and night. Well we have our own problem in America but, we love the Thais. We can not hahdle sometimes when the Thai news hit us. I hate to be negative this fight will not end soon. My take and opinion.

There have been many times in my country I wished to see more people get off their asses and march the streets in defiance of the government's misdoings of the time. It's good to see people having the balls to do something here. Although, I do not condone violence of any means. Paid or unpaid, I appreciate people getting up and saying what they believe.

Therefore, I don't see the same picture some are painting here of a 'gong show' that is so embarrassing internationally. The people here don't want to stand and watch the government dictate itself into existence. Can the same thing be said about America during the Bush/Gore campaign? Did American people storm the streets when the Bush gang administered itself into power? No, they sat back and watched CNN or Fox news and whined to their neighbors a bit and then forgot about it. The few that did speak up were ostracized publicly and made an example of, in order to remind the rest that there is no free speech in America (and many other countries no need to mention). In my opinion, this is a step in the right direction. A precedent should be set that people want a majority vote, not a dictatorship.

Hi there.

I don't know about you but i am personally fed up with these red shirted idiots. While PAD's activities were somewhat legitimate

i stopped reading here.

My thoughs exactly Tony! It's funy how these PAD apologists like to try and rewrite history, or perhaps it's just selective memory :o

Ryladie99, Thanks for your heart for the thai.

Pierrot, i do agree with most of your comment.

As I (and many more thais) always said to my fellow thais in another web forum when the yellow just start out their campaign, that we can not ask for a social correctness by the social incorrectness methods.

As thai s nature, they don't listen, they just want to do whatever they want.

I recall when thaksin was during his first 6 months, thais in bkk also went out and pressure the justice department to let thanksin getaway for his taxes wrongful conduct.

I said the same. If he was wrong then let him go, but you know...Thai!

Next the very same people came back warring yellow try to get thaksin out for his taxes matter again!

i really hate thaksin since he took part in the government that bankruptcy thailand, but from what i see thai's(the yellow) way of doing thing, fixing problem… I really have little left for my country. We can not blame anyone but ourself. We have done it wrong all the way from start to now and still many people keep repeating the same mistake.

now it seem hopeless for thailand to me.

Ryladie99, Thanks for your heart for the thai.

Pierrot, i do agree with most of your comment.

As I (and many more thais) always said to my fellow thais in another web forum when the yellow just start out their campaign, that we can not ask for a social correctness by the social incorrectness methods.

As thai s nature, they don't listen, they just want to do whatever they want.

I recall when thaksin was during his first 6 months, thais in bkk also went out and pressure the justice department to let thanksin getaway for his taxes wrongful conduct.

I said the same. If he was wrong then let him go, but you know...Thai!

Next the very same people came back warring yellow try to get thaksin out for his taxes matter again!

i really hate thaksin since he took part in the government that bankruptcy thailand, but from what i see thai's(the yellow) way of doing thing, fixing problem… I really have little left for my country. We can not blame anyone but ourself. We have done it wrong all the way from start to now and still many people keep repeating the same mistake.

now it seem hopeless for thailand to me.

Fighting tyranny is never a hopeless cause but rather a never ending one.

Hang in there and follow your beliefs.

On BBC worldnews, defiantly full sized tanks, with red shirts doing vioctory dances on them with wood and steal bars in their hands. The Army guys had big smiles, welcome to LOS !!!! :o

Looks like it will be a new difinition of 'low season' this year. A real shame for the silent majority.

And they could follow the British model for crowd control ... running away. Good training video this:

Hi there.

Regards

Thanh

For someone who has chosen to live in Thailand isn't time you woke up to the facts about what is happening here.

Your initial premise is that taken up by many people in this thread and has been taken as fact - the "fact" that the TRT originally bought there way to power (considering they won a landslide victory - its must have cost a few quid and my wifes family didn't get any and they live in the heart of Thaksin country).

Ask yourself who cried foul about Thaksin's 2001 landslide victory, Thaksins subsequent re-election in 2005 with the highest voter turnout in Thai history and the result of the Febuary 2008 election (won by the PPP - not by the Democrats)?

It was the Democrats who cried foul - the same Democrats who have lost the last 3 elections. You must be incredibly naive if you think these victories were all won as a result of vote buying.

The Democrats have challenged the results of these elections and the courts (all of whom are Democrats) decided in favour of the Democtrats. Only an idiot would fail to understand that the entire legislature, the courts, the army chiefs are all Democrats. Is it any wonder they declared Thaksin's victories illegal? Do you honestly think they are impartial?

If I nick your car and you sue me and the matter goes to trial and I'm the judge - w.t.f. do you think the outcome is going to be?

This is why the red shirts are on the march. They have had enough of the Democrats subverting the entire political system of Thailand. They need to accept they've been voted out. Everyone who reads this thread needs to understand and accept this.

Everyone should remember all the political violence in this country was started by the Democrats and their P.A.D. mobsters. When Thaksin was Prime Minister this country was at peace and the only war being fought was Thaksin's zero tolerance against drug dealers. The Democtrats started this fight and its a fight they are certain to lose for a simple and obvious reason - the will of the people is behind Thaksin Shinawtra and they have a huge majority.

So wake up - open your eyes and try to understand - either that or go back to the bar**no flaming-sbk**

Edited by sbk

The Nation has a list of closed intersections and Ding Daeng is listed as under control of the army,

"23 Dindaeng Gateway under control of troops"

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/breakingne...s-intersections

There are two other places that are associated with Ding Daeng that are under control of reds.

I'm pretty sure this article was posted several hours after the alleged taking it back. LPG tank and the flats are on the approach from Rama 9, quite possibly no troops are moving past it.

Only an would fail to understand that the entire legislature, the courts, the army chiefs are all Democrats

Sure thing. Give some names? Judges who are democrats, army chiefs who are democrats? "Entire legislature" who are democrats? I believe actually only 174 MPs out of 480 are Democrats.

What is "Democrat" anyway?

Well well.

You are sure quick to fire when you don't see the enemy, right?

Now i, for once, was present when the PPP guys came offering 200 Baht for every vote. No hear-say, i was right there, live, seen it with my very own eyes, and my boyfriend's uncle accepted the dosh. Fact.

Now someone mentioned something about "bar".... for info, i haven't been in one the past 8 years and don't see a reason to visit one the next 8 years. Because i don't drink a drop of alcohol. Fact.

Regarding PAD vs. Red, sure both are rent-a-mob but at least PAD wasn't violent from day one. Also there it wasn't the crowd that turned violent in the later stages but their "security" personnel. Well, after a few grenades had been launched against them what would you expect? Now who exactly launched grenades at the Red's yet? Nobody? Correct. Then why are THEY violent..???

PAD mobs didn't kill anyone, while they had several killed by the reds. Fact. The one idiot who ran over cops with a pickup wasn't even a PAD member, even though everyone quickly assumed so. At least he didn't wear a yellow shirt!

By the way i am not saying (nor have i ever said) that TRT's initial landslide victory was dodgy. However pretty much everything that came after it WAS. TRT's program initially was well thought out, but as soon as Thaksin had the power he did everything to make sure nobody else would ever get a slice of the cake again. Key power positions were given to close friends, class mates and family members, laws were changed to further strengthen his power grip and to fill his bank accounts and once all that was in place, the rampant vote-buying started. Making deals that saved millions and billions in unpaid taxes (laws just previously amended so that was even legal!) filled his offshore accounts so now he can continuously pay those red thugs, while the yellow ones relied on (and got!) support from the public.

Isn't it funny that everything the yellows did and about which the reds cried foul is now done by the reds, just a tad more violent?

THAT is why i want this to end quickly, before whole Bangkok goes up in flames (as they have one gas tanker in place already, and captured tanks too - what's next, fighter aircraft??) The yellows wouldn't have done this, the reds do.

Wake up, see the truth.

Thanh