Friendship Bridge Nongkhai - Vientiane Blocked By Protesters

Thai TV Channel 11 is now reporting that The Friendship bridge Nongkhai - Vientiane is blocked by protesters.

I've heard that the Friendship bridge Mukdahan - Sawanaket is also blocked.

Had planed to make a border run on the 15th as I'm permited to stay untill the 17th.

Anybody know if there will be any easing on those who needed make a border run?

Thai TV Channel 11 is now reporting that The Friendship bridge Nongkhai - Vientiane is blocked by protesters.

I've heard that the Friendship bridge Mukdahan - Sawanaket is also blocked.

Had planed to make a border run on the 15th as I'm permited to stay untill the 17th.

Anybody know if there will be any easing on those who needed make a border run?

I asked at the Samut Prakan Immigration last Friday, which was manned but not open, and the guy in charge, not unexpectedly, came up with the confidence building, standard Thai answer: Mai roo :o

I looked into air tickets last week. This may be an option for you.

Lao Airlines BKK-VTE BKK $8400 (+500b & about $30) taxes and visas not included

Thai was about 10,000

Air Asia BKK-KL-BKK and 2400b each way, and no visa fee for Malaysia

Anyone have an update on the situation at the Friendship bridge???

I just went through yesterday (sunday)

Took the 15:15 bus from Khon Kaen. The bus driver shortly had a phone call telling him to hurry as the red shirts were gathering.

We had to go around a blockade in Udon-Thani and lost about 1h to 1h30

Made it at the border in front of the red shirts group (about 3-500). The police diverted us behind the buildings on the right, where they had kept an access open. We could then pass through normally at the border. Got in Laos where everything is just about partying, happy us ^^ !

The bus driver informed us they would suspend bus services for the next 2-3 days because of the situation. I don't know if it's still possible to pass today.

End of report - please keep political comments out of this thread.

Thanks

Took the 15:15 bus from Khon Kaen. The bus driver shortly had a phone call telling him to hurry as the red shirts were gathering.

Made it at the border in front of the red shirts group (about 3-500). The police diverted us behind the buildings on the right, where they had kept an access open. We could then pass through normally at the border. Got in Laos where everything is just about partying, happy us ^^ !

The bus driver informed us they would suspend bus services for the next 2-3 days because of the situation. I don't know if it's still possible to pass today.

Thanks

Just hear from the wife that the main Bangkok highway between Khon Kaen and Ban Phai ( south of KK) is blocked by red shirts

Drove back this morning,fearing they may close the Border,very sparse traffic and no problem at all. :o

Lot of Police,believe they will be trying to hold the bridge open.

Lots of red shirts too,under control,up to now.Contained in Udonthani,too,at this time.

I looked into air tickets last week. This may be an option for you.

Lao Airlines BKK-VTE BKK $8400 (+500b & about $30) taxes and visas not included

Thai was about 10,000

Air Asia BKK-KL-BKK and 2400b each way, and no visa fee for Malaysia

That doesn't help much if you've already paid for tickets to Udon Thani and plan to cross the bridge.

Thanks

Oh wow..close call! Good luck if/when you are returning.

How now where to get my supply of Beer Lao at 10 baht ?

MehKong minimart, Fang-Um road (the boulevard opposite the big tree east of the parkingplace) :o

Beer Lao + French bread with salami and Gouda cheese jummy jummy, I NEVER want a double entry !!!!

And don't forget the Indian restaurant 30 meters furtheron, fantastic curries and Malay food.

Edited by spaceshipcrew