Flight To Samui

Hi...You only have one choice to get to Samui at present by air and that is via Bangkok Airways. Have a look at their site and you can get prices and timetable wwwbangkokairways.com. I will add i have flown these many times and although expensive they are excellent and are very good when travelling with kids.

BKK Airways has the monopoly indeed, and flt price is usually 3450 Bt one way, but they have a special price if you take the first or last flt of the day: 2000 Bt taxes excluded.

Apt tax at departure from Samui is 400 Bt. And you get free cappuchino's and cake, internet and reading stuff in the waiting lounge!

You'll be in the perfect mood to arrive at lovely Samui-island!

If you fly Internationally through BKK, you only have to pay the 500Baht departure tax on Samui, and don't have to pay again in BKK.

If you just fly to BKK, it's a 400Baht departure tax from Samui to BKK, but no departure tax from BKK to Samui.

One more thing: Samui departure tax only is 400 (500 repectively) if u continue for international flights...

When I checked in at samui with no onward going international flight from Bangkok , they took 400 baht departure tax from me and TGF. I was never aware of the point made above. Had I had an onward international flight I would not have been aware

that I had paid the Thai departure tax and would have paid it again, as I did when I eventually left LOS.

Could this point be clarified please for the benefit of future travelers.

They only point this out to you if you have connecting flight. There's no point in telling you if you leave the BKK airport.

They pointed it out to me when I checked my luggage through.

They only offer this if you stay at BKK airport in the departure lounge. There'll be no more passport control neither.

So if you pay departure tax in Samui, you can't leave BKK airport.

Edited by limbos

They only point this out to you if you have  connecting flight. There's no point in telling you if you leave the BKK airport.

They pointed it out to me when I checked my luggage through.

They only offer this if you stay at BKK airport in the departure lounge. There'll be no more passport control neither.

So if you pay departure tax in Samui, you can't leave BKK airport.

Sorry this is still not clear,if I pay 400bht at Samui I pay no departure tax at Bangkok airport, is this correct, if i don't depart Bangkok airport I still pay 400 baht departure tax Samui airport? and then pay again at Bangkok at some later date?

And if I land at domestic terminal how do I get to international terminal without leaving departure lounge?

Edited by fisherd3

If you leave Samui airport you pay 400Baht departure tax, no matter the destination.

In BKK you pay 500Baht departure tax.

However, if you have a connecting international flight in BKK, you can pay the International departure tax of 500Baht and that's it, no further taxes either in Samui or BKK.

In Samui you check in in a different Terminal (the one on the right, Terminal 2) and upon arrival in BKK you'll be transported by bus to the International departure Terminal, without having to go through customs again.

If I remember correctly, you get a sticker in Samui.

You gotta realise however, that with this set up, you can't leave BKK airport. You'll have to wait 'till your flight departs in the Departure Terminal.

Hope this makes sense now.

My girlfriend, my friend and my-self flew in October 04 with Phuket airways.

We found it pretty comfortable and faily cheap, you need to mess with the dates on the website though to get the best deal

I'm 6"2 so need quite big seats, this too was fine.

We payed £420 each and, on the way there (from Gatwick) the flight is direct, so only takes around 10 and a half hours. On the way back theres one stop so expect to travel around 16 - 17 hours.

Food, this too was ok, (for airline food) English on the way out and Thai on return.

We would have prefered Thai all the way as you wouldn't go to a fish and chip shop for Thai noodles (pad Thai) would you.

I've flown to and from Thailand with many different airlines and these were best all round. If you want to pay for it then fly with Singapore, they are undoubtedly the best.

Conecting flights are easily available from the internal lounge at Don Muang Airport down to Samui but, if travelling with children it may be best to book it in England, you quite often have to be put on standby. My last piece of advise is, April is the HOTTEST month take real good care of yourselves, go with no expectations of Thailand and she will treat as a long lost friend. Enjoy, I wish I was going with you.

redrus

http://www.phuketairlines.com/contact/contact.htm

Hi we have just booked flights to Samui for 3th April best price was gained through Travelocity.co.uk i spoke to Phil he was very knowledgable about the area and pleasant to deal with. Also try Airlinenetwork.co.uk we have used them 3 times in the last 12 months average price £400 from Manchester - Koh Samui

Good luck and enjoy your holiday we loved it so much we are moving there on 3rd of April.

:o Tip in Bangkok airport you can get on a bus outside international terminals this will take you to Domestic free of charge however it is not advertised in the airport so worth asking an official it is close to the taxi rank but they charge other alternative is to walk but it is a long walk with children.

Hi we have just booked flights to Samui for 3th April best price was gained through Travelocity.co.uk i spoke to Phil he was very knowledgable about the area and pleasant to deal with. Also try Airlinenetwork.co.uk we have used them 3 times in the last 12 months average price £400 from Manchester - Koh Samui

Good luck and enjoy your holiday we loved it so much we are moving there on 3rd of April.

:o Tip in Bangkok airport you can get on a bus outside international terminals this will take you to Domestic free of charge however it is not advertised in the airport so worth asking an official it is close to the taxi rank but they charge other alternative is to walk but it is a long walk with children.

I actually like the walk from international to domestic after being in the plane for so long . A bit of exercise for my legs ... :D . With children , maybe better with the bus , because i think it is about a 1 km walk .

Once you get to the long 'tube' like walkway, there are normally those electric cars waiting that take you for free to the other side of the tube. Good one with children.

I like the walk as well BTW. If I don't carry too much luggage, that is.