Is Your Wife A Good Thai Cook?

thaigerd

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

My Thai husband is a good cook but when its just the two of us, I do all the cooking, both Thai and western. However, I am blessed in that my husband owns a business in which we must hire a cook and our cook is a gem. Great employee, lovely woman and fabulous cook. I don't eat Thai food out anymore.

My gf is an amazing thai cook,betetr than most good restaraunts i have been too.She used to be a nanny to a chinese/thai couple in bk and learnt very quick.My friends sit there in amazement when the food starts to come out on the veranda,with their mouths wide open.

I am "punished" with a very bad cook at home. I am doing all food :o .

What's your situation at home?

Gerd

Let me guess, you chose her for the witty repartee.

Sorry she can't cook though.

My wife is a whiz in the hong krua, she makes great Thai food and she is getting quite good at farang food.

I just built a brick oven out back, so now I am showing her baking, specifically pizza.

I am "punished" with a very bad cook at home. I am doing all food :o .

Gerd

hahah, I'm married to the "Take-away Queen". She's the fastest on the planet in dialing her cell to any number of tasty delights. But she serves it with such grace that I overlook it.

Honestly, in three years, I've tasted her instant coffee. Maybe I'm better off for it.

In your case, take her to the Blue Elephant, and you BOTH sign up for some cooking classes. It will be fun and you'll both find ideas to get you going. Remember, she's only learned from her Mother, and if that experience was roasting cockroaches on hot stones at an open campfire in the hills of Issan, well then what do you expect?

Joint cooking classes.

blueelephant.com/school/index.html

You can attend a single 1/2 day-session, or all 10 courses for a full week. They’re hosted by the Head Chef of this renowned chain and it's entertaining, as well as informative. Trust me, this will be f-u-n, and accomplish a goal. Instead of nagging her (to her inevitable frustration), you will make a game of it with the two of you doing it together, and it will show you care about her, so much so, that she will expect you to buy her a pair of shoes, as well.

Congrats on your renewed marriage!

I'm blessed with a wife that is a great cook her chef's training might have something to do with it though :o Only thing she will not cook is farang food, but i don't really mind since i love cooking myself. We both leave the cooking of eggs to my daughter though, she's the egg queen! i don't know where she gets it from but she really does cook awesome eggs.

Very interesting replies!

So far we have a "take-away-queen" and an "egg-queen".

I would call my wife a "sausage queen", she runs our little sausage business very well and is able to produce up to 40kg of sausages per day.

Any more "queens" out there???

Gerd

Very interesting replies!

So far we have a "take-away-queen" and an "egg-queen".

I would call my wife a "sausage queen", she runs our little sausage business very well and is able to produce up to 40kg of sausages per day.

Any more "queens" out there???

Gerd

Gerd, have you tried advertising for a cook, preferably an attractive live-in girl about 17 to 19 years old? I'm sure your wife would appreciate your thoughtfulness... Or start doing it herself.

However, any woman that can handle 40 Kg. of sausage a day may not really deserve to have to be the cook in the family.

I am "punished" with a very bad cook at home. I am doing all food :D .

Gerd

:D

Luckily I can say..Yes indeed...she's a very good cook.

Quite often we eat out or just get food from the corner vendors.

However in the last year health problems have forced her to cook her own meals, low fat and low sugar required. No hot spices either. Not much Nam Pla also. No MSG for health reasons.

Last time I was there in February she cooked meals for both me and herself.

Made some really good Thai style chicken stew with Thai vegatables. Just chicken and fresh vegatables.

I then discovered that she was taught in her youth (she's in her 60's now) how to cook good Thai food without adding anything but natural ingredients.

I will be retiring in about 6 or 7 months....and now I'm wondering about a book on "Cooking Thai Light", meals without preservatives, low fat, no fish oil, and such.

:o

Being a really good cook was the second reason I married my Thai wife.

In the last 18 months she has opened a small shop and noodle stall and starts cooking around 10am is is always sold out by mid afternoon.

She also cooks farang food well and has attempted to teach me to cook Thai food. It works after a fashion but I am not sure if she would eat it or could even sell it. However it works for me.

Thaigerd I just bought a small home sausage machine so I will be competition with you when I get home next month, IF your wife can slow down to a couple of kilos a week.

:D :D :o

My missus can cook some dishes really well. They are very good, but everything else is not so great. I do more cooking than she does, but anything with fish or charcoal grilled or steamed is usually her department.

I'm a lucky one too.

Wife is a great cook, although she likes to cheat and get those rotisserie chickens (which I dearly love) and roast duck. But all her yaam nuea, pot grapow gai, etc. is quite good, and she was very eager to find out what I like in Thai food (extra vegetable to include onions, tua lan tao, peppers-can't get enough-both the little 'bird' ones and the prik yuak, and tua fuk yao (she usually slices them a centimeter or so in length, not so good when they're chopped into stir frys-otherwise I can munch on them whole because it helps curb the nicotine cravings).

She also makes a mean steamed corn, baked potato, and tuna salad (complete with chopped eggs, relish, etc). What can I say I have weird tastes when it comes to meals. Another dish she does is to take raw chicken legs, only the drums, and boil them with julianned onions, cracked pepper, garlic and a pinch of salt. It's simple, fast and hearty. Don't know why I like this so much, but I do.

Edited by dave_boo

I'm a lucky one too.

Wife is a great cook, although she likes to cheat and get those rotisserie chickens (which I dearly love) and roast duck. But all her yaam nuea, pot grapow gai, etc. is quite good, and she was very eager to find out what I like in Thai food (extra vegetable to include onions, tua lan tao, peppers-can't get enough-both the little 'bird' ones and the prik yuak, and tua fuk yao (she usually slices them a centimeter or so in length, not so good when they're chopped into stir frys-otherwise I can munch on them whole because it helps curb the nicotine cravings).

She also makes a mean steamed corn, baked potato, and tuna salad (complete with chopped eggs, relish, etc). What can I say I have weird tastes when it comes to meals. Another dish she does is to take raw chicken legs, only the drums, and boil them with julianned onions, cracked pepper, garlic and a pinch of salt. It's simple, fast and hearty. Don't know why I like this so much, but I do.

Sounds great to me, congratulations!

Always fun this home cooking, the smell through all the house and the final meal when sitting together.

Gerd

No she is not the greatest cook around.I do most of the cooking,I enjoy it.Over the years she has been able to get better and find a few things that do taste very good.She has been studing the internet for recipes and it seems to be working out for us.

If your wife's skills at cooking aren't really up to par, why not encourage her to go to cooking school or picking up a cookbook. Make it a team project and have fun!

TheWalkingMan

I collect cook books so there is no shortage of that in the home,a couple of book cases of.She has taken to looking on different Thai web sites to see and read recipes.She has a journal that she copies the recipes into that she wants to try.We have a very large garden so we have many herbs,vegtables and fruits.It is really great to walk out the door any time day or night and have what you need for to eat in the garden.

Remember, she's only learned from her Mother, and if that experience was roasting cockroaches on hot stones at an open campfire in the hills of Issan, well then what do you expect?

post-60101-1239723934_thumb.jpg

It's called barbecue :o

Mine is somtam queen. She can make Lao food at home, take it to work and sell it to the other ladies.

I like to remain upwind.

My other half is an awesome cook. Which is really suprising as right up til she left Thailand 3 years ago she had never cooked in her life. In Thailand there was never food in her or her sisters house. All meals were purchased hot on the way home.

The biggest issue I had with her when she first arrived here was the real bad habit of buying low grade meats on the bone or bringing fresh snapper home only to have her cleaver it all then soup or stew it all....bones included. Nothing worst than a hot bowl of Nom jin nam ya and having to worry about fine snapper bones among the noddles. Or having to eat a curry made with cleavered chicken on the bone. That is about the only thing we have ever had a barney over. In short time I had her cooking wet foods (soups, stews etc) using only the meat and her cooking took off. She now can cook any thai dish exceptionally well including deserts and finger foods.

I am a gwar dtee-o bplah fan of the first order. Wherever I am I will head to a thai or asian noddle shop or resturant to partake. Have eaten some good ones in Thailand but hers leave tham all for dead. She understands what a soup 'broth' is and that the other secret of a good noodle soup is the side dish of snake or yard long beans, mixed herbs (various basils, mints and corriander) and diced raw green leaf veges.

My missus puts Ros Dee in nearly everything. (powdered stock)

This isn't so bad, but I'm sure that they've increased the salt content in the last few months. Either that or I just don't like so much salt anymore. salt content of these powders is 40 to 50%. Knorr are the same.

It means that many of her meals just taste too salty.

Does anybody know of a stock cube or powder that has more flavour and less salt?

Being a really good cook was the second reason I married my Thai wife.

In the last 18 months she has opened a small shop and noodle stall and starts cooking around 10am is is always sold out by mid afternoon.

She also cooks farang food well and has attempted to teach me to cook Thai food. It works after a fashion but I am not sure if she would eat it or could even sell it. However it works for me.

Thaigerd I just bought a small home sausage machine so I will be competition with you when I get home next month, IF your wife can slow down to a couple of kilos a week.

:D:D:o

Noodle mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm :D:D

Her tom yam kung is the best. Takes her one hour to make. She will cook this only once a month for me :o

But her kao pad whatever (fried rice) is inedible.

Other Thai food she makes is better than what we get at most restaurants.

Fried rice is obviously one of the most difficult dishes to cook successfully. I've eaten many places where the fried rice is stodgy and cooked with way to much oil. My lady cooks it quite well 50% of the time

I consider myself blessed. She is a great cook, firmly believes in the adage. The way to a man's heart is through is stomach. She does cook far too much Tom Yam Kung, but I only say that because I'm allergic. :o