Is Your Wife A Good Thai Cook?

thaigerd

My wife and I alternate 'cooking day', as I need my falang fix and can't eat rice/noodles every day. She is a wiz in the kitchen, so much more efficient than me and can whip out a meal and leave the kitchen clean in less than a half hour where I take a couple of hours and leave a terrible mess that she [thankfully] cleans for me.

My one complaint is that she loves the oil and pork, but she remains slim. I like pork less and less....maybe should have married a Muselim??

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

My wife is an average cook and leaves the kitchen in a complete mess. She is surprisingly good at following recipes for western food though and has made a few good things from the cookbooks I have. Lucky for us she is a much better hairdresser than cook so she makes all the money while I stay at home and do the cooking.

Since I've retired in Thailand we have lived in dumps with out a REAL proper kitchen. Hot plates and little ovens will not cut it. She does not complain

but I know she would like something a little nicer kitchen wise. Plan A is to build a house soon and if the ONLY thing this house has is kitchen with lots

of cabinets and more counter top then she needs a oven of ovens and a 4 burner gas stove, then for her I'll be a happy man.

Edited by sendbaht

• 5 weeks later...

my wife is an excellent cook...unfortunately most of what she cooks I don't want to eat :D ...gaeng som and little dried fishes caught from flooded rice paddies :)

she is however very adaptable and can make a decent lasagna...

most of the wimmin folk can cook very well and the queen is the oldest BiL's wife...never seen such an output with so little effort; when she comes to visit she sizes up my weight then proceeds to whip up stuff that she knows I like...pet nignoy an' lots of vegetables...

the 16 y.o. stepdaughter, who is a spoiled and silly girl remarkably is one of the best cooks...I remember watching her in the kitchen when she was about 12 y.o., already very accomplished...her cooking ability gets her out of doing other work around the house; her cousins have not learned the skill yet... :D

• 2 weeks later...

Sadly, mine doesn't either. Her family had a live-in maid while she grew up, her mother couldn't cook, her father did sometimes. I think a surprising number of the 20-30 year olds (both genders) in BKK never learned to cook, it's very sad.

My mother was a nutritionist and home-ec. teacher for many years, so I was taught to cook, clean, and sew from a young age. I was better at these things than most of my girlfriends while growing up. I didn't cook for over a decade while I was married, my ex-wife really enjoyed cooking eastern European and German dishes (she was good at it too).

Now it looks like my girlfriend expects that I'll do the cooking, (I made the mistake of cooking for her a few times, she now loves my cooking), but I think the idea of a Thai cooking course for both of us might be a good plan. I don't want to cook all the time, only when I get the itch.

The Yorkshires aren't so good as I don't think you can get lard here in Pattaya so she uses shortening which doesn't work as good.

(save the fat from when you cook bacon, pour it into a container and put it in the fridge, it'll keep forever. It's not too healthy, but makes great Yorkshire puds! :) )

• 2 weeks later...

Lucky to have a great wife who makes great Thai meals...both tasty & eye appealling with carved vegatables,fruit etc,. A natuaral at it & likely her BA in home economics education at Chiang Mai University & watching the cooks at her aunts Thai restaurant also helped. Also experiments with other foods...now learning Japanese cooking from one of her Japanese girl friends. Best to all, Bill