Is It Safe Guys?

pepi1

well, it sure does feel unpredictable. for what it's worth, i spent the day in Bangkok taking a friend to the Grand Palace and the various Wats and back home to Pattaya (without knowing anything about the state of emergency being declared). the wife and i just went down to the Big C mall and all in all, a beautiful day and a beautiful night in Thailand.

however, i think there might be some strong possibilities that we'll experience some 'state of emergency' periods. life does seem to carry on at the moment, but i'll go back to my first answer... feels unpredictable. and with that being said, Thailand needs you and your family. your patronage will be gladly appreciated from the entire tourist serving industry. bring beer money.

In my honest opinion - and I have lost count now of how many coup I have been in Thailand for - Yes, perfectly safe, just be careful on the roads, they remain the most dangerous places in Thailand - even on a good day!

apart from getting soaked by idiots with water guns or run over by an idiot driver ,safe as houses ,i live in Pattaya was caught up in the traffic jams ,but never even saw a red shirt ,only lots of police and soldiers catching 40 winks in the sun.

Thinking of bringing my family down to Pattaya or nearby for a weeks holiday. All sounds very dangerous and boarding on a potential civil war.

Honest answers asap guys Thanks

I live here in Jomtien Beach and it is business as usual. My GF and I went to Villa Market yesterday and saw a movie and had dinner. Had two people already starting to do the water BullSh*#t on Thapriah on the way back. :o

Thanks for response guys

jeez. do you guys all own tourist based businesses or something? of course if you have any option of postponing your holiday at all, i would postpone it. seems like a no-brainer especially if your family is involved. this is the fourth change of power in the last couple years, 3 of which were by non-democratic means. if this were anywhere else but the "land of smiles" you wouldn't even be asking the question. sure the odds that you'll actually get caught in the trouble are low, i haven't had any first hand experience myself, but thaksin is inciting these folks into a forceful revolt via video. this one could easily be the big showdown.

We've probably just all been here for a long time.

I've been in so many Thai coups, etc. with never a problem. The first time I came to Thailand there was a coup d'état when I was on the way here. I was at the airport in Korea, in the boarding line to Bangkok when it was announced. I asked a group of Thais in front of me if I should delay my trip and they all started laughing and said of course not. When I got to Bangkok, there were pictures on the front page of the paper of beautiful girls putting flowers on the tanks! :o

I've been in so many Thai coups, etc. with never a problem. The first time I came to Thailand there was a coup d'état when I was on the way here. I was at the airport in Korea, in the boarding line to Bangkok when it was announced. I asked a group of Thais in front of me if I should delay my trip and they all started laughing and said of course not. When I got to Bangkok, there were pictures on the front page of the paper of beautiful girls putting flowers on the tanks! :o

So who gave order to all these coups??? Would be very intersting to know...

I've been here 2 1/2 years thru the 4 changes of power i'm referring to without any personal trouble. I just felt the topic needed at least one contrarian viewpoint. Erring on the side of caution to protect your family seems like a no-brainer. The police didn't bother to protect ambassador-types/heads of state for the ASEAN summit. They were unable to prevent a major international airport closure. Things are definitely more "wild west" here than in a western country. Which is why we like it. I'm still here. I was just saying if you have the option why not postpone a vacation???

I've been here 2 1/2 years thru the 4 changes of power i'm referring to without any personal trouble. I just felt the topic needed at least one contrarian viewpoint. Erring on the side of caution to protect your family seems like a no-brainer. The police didn't bother to protect ambassador-types/heads of state for the ASEAN summit. They were unable to prevent a major international airport closure. Things are definitely more "wild west" here than in a western country. Which is why we like it. I'm still here. I was just saying if you have the option why not postpone a vacation???

I agree people should keep away from Thailand until safer times