F**king Embassy

My fiancée was told to bring her paperwork to the embassy on Monday. She did then was told to return on Wednesday at 8am for her interview. She showed up at the embassy bright and early and was told her interview was at 2pm. She told the guy that it was supposed to be 8am, but he insisted it was at 2pm. So she went out for lunch and came back at 12:30 or so to wait her turn.

Her turn never came. She found out that her appointment was in fact for 8am, but she was not there to hear her name called. The idiot totally screwed her up and made her cry. The bast*rd neven even apologized to her. Supposedly she can go back tomorrow for an interview, but now I am not so certain because of the lack of honesty/competence at the embassy. Since they told her 2pm, they should have stayed late to interview her if they had to because it was their scew-up.

I'm really ticked at these *ssholes now.

I don't know how US law works but is there a case for your g/f saying that as she made herself available for interview and the embassy failed to avail themselves of the opportunity then she should get the visa by default?

Scouse.

Scouse ... that'd mean acceptance by the Embassy that an error was made. Embassies are not prone to admissions like that ( well not easily )

Scouse  ...  that'd mean acceptance by the Embassy that an error was made. Embassies are not prone to admissions like that ( well not easily )

I got a few more details from my fiancée. She basically was there until around 8:50 and never heard her name. That's why she asked the guy about her appointment and also why he believed him that it was later.

When she returned, she talked to the woman who called her name out for the interview in the morning. After a bit of time, some other woman in the embassy claimed she her my fiancée's name called in the afternoon. But my fiancée was sitting right next to the announcement speaker, so I'm sure it's a lie. I think Dr PP is right, they were starting to cover their a** at that point.

After crying and explaining to the woman how she was wronged, the woman went into the back room for a while. When she returned, she asked for my fiancée's passport and told her she should return on Wednesday morning for her interview.

So at this point, I think the people at the embassy, without admitting fault, decided to squeeze her in, in the morning. Or, the woman, in order to avoid a continued confrontation, lied to my fiancée so she would leave the embassy thinking everything has been resolved. Unfortunately, the latter is a trait I find common among Thais. But given that they actually took her passport for the night, it is entirely possible they plan to give her an interview and visa on Wednesday instead of doing the interview and giving the visa the next day. The woman did try to calm my fiancée by telling her that she looked at her documentation and it is perfect and that she WILL get her visa and that she should not change her flight plans.

Some advice for others. My fiancée turned in her Packet 3 the same day as another girl she met at the embassy. They subsequently both got an appointment for Feb 3, then moved to Jan 7, then moved to Jan 26th because of the tsunami. But there was one difference. My fiancée was asked to bring her interview documentation (Packet 4?) on the 24th, whereas the other woman was told to bring it the day of the interview. I suspect this is because my fiancée has a Bangkok address and the other woman didn't. On the 26th, the other woman showed up in the morning to turn in her final documents and then told her appointment was at 2pm. So I'm guessing that those who are asked to turn in their paperwork on a prior day have morning interviews and those who turn it in the same day have afternoon appointments.

Today she headed to the embassy again. Before she got there, someone from the embassy called her to apologize to her. She stated that my fiancée would be the first interview, but when she got there, she was actually number 4. After the interview, she was granted her visa which she has to pick up tomorrow.

Good news. Understand how upset you were yesterday with all the tensions of the process.

I don't know what happened but with the rescheduling and recent conditions (another boat accident yesterday has several Americans missing from newspaper reports) expect someone misunderstood her name when checking list and gave her the wrong information. Not what you need when you are under that kind of stress. But at least it has ended well and with minimal delay.

Now the hard part starts. A lifetime together. :o

Good news.  Understand how upset you were yesterday with all the tensions of the process.

Now the hard part starts.  A lifetime together. :o

Now the tensions are even greater. Before, she had a plane ticket booked for Saturday. Because of the mixup, I thought going next Saturday would be better. It would allow her to relax during her last week in Thailand. Give her a chance to visit friends to say ""so long. But after consulting her father, he still wants her to go on Saturday the 29th. (For some reason the 29th is a "better" day to move than the 5th). Which pretty much means she has to buy the plane ticket before she actually gets her passport back with the visa. If we do that and there is yet another embassy screw up, it will cost a bit of money to change the ticket.

My preference would be to give up her coming to America a week earlier and have a relaxing week, rather than the stress of trying to get so much done in two days.

For anyone interested, the total time was:

August 6, 2004 the Petition for Alien Fiancé(e) was received at the California processing center.

January 26th, 2005 She passed her interview and will hopefully get her visa on the 27th.

That's about five months and three weeks. This was done without the aid of an attorney. The process is tedious, but very straightforward. It's like doing your taxes several times per year.

Edited by daveh

I remember when I w*rked in the private sector (which I always have done, by the way); if the job wasn't finished at "clocking off time" you bloody stayed there until it was! This is the public sector, and, unfortunately, you have to get used to it.

I remember when I w*rked in the private sector (which I always have done, by the way); if the job wasn't finished at "clocking off time" you bloody stayed there until it was! This is the public sector, and, unfortunately, you have to get used to it.

Fortunately, I don't have to get used to it as it has been resolved. It turns out the problem was simple. They moved a group of interviews from the morning to the afternoon. Out of the group, they updated the computer for all but my fiancée. But the list that the man had was updated. So the man was not mistaken, his paper did show that her appointment was at 2pm. But the woman that calls out the person's name for the interview used the computer, which still had the old time.

I work in the private sector now at a technology company, and you are right, it is very common for people to be working here quite late. I've been known to stay until midnight myself.

Well, let me add this to the thread so you know what to expect. I went through this whole process bringing my wife to the US back in 2000. We did the K-1 Fiancee Visa the same as you have. I can't speak for other nations but when it comes to the US immigration agency, you have a whole lot of headaches ahead of you. Pretty much every government agency I have had to deal with is bad and I would put the DMV right up there with the INS. But, nevertheless, the INS has got to be the worst. The visa process in BKK was easy compared to what I have had to endure here in the US when dealing with the INS. They are a model of ignorance & ineptitude. Much too often, they will have you pulling your hair out wondering how they could be so stupid. I must admit that they have gotten marginally better in the last year due to installing an online appointment system, which is a lifesaver, but they are still bad. You have just sat down for this ride my friend and there are many twists and turns. Do you live in California or is that just where your paperwork gets processed? Living in California, which gets more applicants than the rest of the country combined, only adds to the misery. Good luck. Let me know if I can be of any help.

I was going to say similiar things, tripxcare. Like you, I've been through the process myself and I was wondering that if dave gets this upset while doing the "easy stuff"(embassy visa), then how is going to react when he gets stateside and runs into the "hard stuff" (INS, and eventually citizenship, if so inclined for his wife). It doesn't bode well for his state of mind if he absolutely rages over something and then just two days later, admittedly reports the situation was understandable.

Best of luck to you, dave... you'll need it.

was going to say similiar things, tripxcare. Like you, I've been through the process myself and I was wondering that if dave gets this upset while doing the "easy stuff"(embassy visa), then how is going to react when he gets stateside and runs into the "hard stuff" (INS, and eventually citizenship, if so inclined for his wife). It doesn't bode well for his state of mind if he absolutely rages over something and then just two days later, admittedly reports the situation was understandable.

Best of luck to you, dave... you'll need it.

pity the poor wife. :o

did she get a one way or a return ticket . :D

Edited by taxexile