Anyone Know What Kind Of Snake This Is?

I was sitting in my house and I heard my dogs going crazy outside so i went to see what they were up to and they were fighting with and killed this poor snake. The snake is about 3/4 of a metre long. I worry a bit one of my dogs might of got bit. I tried to search for this snake online and coulden't find it anywhere. Does anyone know what type of snake this is and is it poisonous? Thanks

post-50420-1239620020_thumb.jpg

post-50420-1239620079_thumb.jpg

post-50420-1239620141_thumb.jpg

Looks like the same snake I almost stood on last week

I took a Pic but its not yet on my Computer

Anyway I looked it up on Siam-info I think it is a Keelback And NOT Venomous

Mine was A big Bugger Scared the Sh**t out of me

My Wife wanted it dead Allways wants them Dead

Put the water hose onto it and it went, Begining to think I am living in Snake City

Common snake on east side of Australia too.

Keelback Tropidonophis mairii

Some animals burn the candle at both ends, active during the day and the night. One example is the keelback, a freshwater snake that eats frogs, tadpoles and lizards. If you hear a frog screaming (a blood-curdling shriek!), it could be half way down a keelback's gullet by the time you track it down.

Australia's only non-venomous, semi-aquatic snake, the keelback likes areas near creeks and swamps. It uses its keeled scales to grip onto slippery surfaces when travelling over mud or vegetation. When it stops moving, the keelback hides under plants, timber or in empty burrows.

Keelbacks are small, growing to 1m at most and usually about half that length. Grey to olive-brown or black, with an indistinct banded pattern, their distinguishing feature is their strongly keeled scales in 15 rows at the mid-body.

Keelbacks are harmless, but look very much like the venomous rough-scaled snake, so don't go near them, just in case you've got it wrong!

You'll find keelbacks in north and eastern Queensland, Western Australia and north-east New South Wales. They prefer damp areas, but also live in gum forests and even the suburbs.

DK and P991 - are you replying to the correct thread? (the keelback thread is: http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/Striped-Snake-t257097.html)

The OP appears to be a brown or grey kukuri (Oligodon purpurascens or O. joynsoni): neither is venomous but they have powerful teeth for breaking into eggs and thus, if threatened, can inflict a nasty bite which is slow to heal.

you gotta love these threads that display a picture of a pulverised snake and ask for identification. lyou also have to love the fact that the majority turn out to be non venomous.

though i do understand the dogs did this one in, not the poster.

Edited by t.s

DK and P991 - are you replying to the correct thread? (the keelback thread is: http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/Striped-Snake-t257097.html)

The OP appears to be a brown or grey kukuri (Oligodon purpurascens or O. joynsoni): neither is venomous but they have powerful teeth for breaking into eggs and thus, if threatened, can inflict a nasty bite which is slow to heal.

An Issan girl friend tells me it's an edible snake

• 2 weeks later...

The snake mentioned in this thread looks a lot like this one (attached pic). I live in Vientiane, in Lao PDR.

It bit my wife on her left foot this morning at 3am in the bathroom. Nasty bite marks (6-7 of them), but no "typical' fang marks. Went to 2 different hospitals, but none of the doctors could identify what specie it is. Do you guys it's a a brown or grey kukuri as well?

And yes, my wife is still alive.

Thanks for the info,

Ngp

post-81801-1240558014_thumb.jpg

The snake mentioned in this thread looks a lot like this one (attached pic). I live in Vientiane, in Lao PDR.

It bit my wife on her left foot this morning at 3am in the bathroom. Nasty bite marks (6-7 of them), but no "typical' fang marks. Went to 2 different hospitals, but none of the doctors could identify what specie it is. Do you guys it's a a brown or grey kukuri as well?

Thanks for the info,

Ngp

Yours came ready to eat then?

went to do a delivery to a Vet - as he order something .

and while iw as walking in .. some gy carry a dog in . and seem like the dog fight with a cobra and got bite , is already foaming . and look really bad .

my Wife can't help to cry when she see that cos she love all kinda animal .

--

after the event .

i heard that .

if your Dog get biteen by poisoness snake ..

if it a small snake , maybe 1-3 hour - small snake as in diameter of the snake less then 2 cm --

if your dog get bitten by a 2cm up - 3 cm diameter snake -

15- 30 min .

just to be save is good to check with Vet clinic or where do there have the Serum .. cos due to the expensive upkeep of storing the SErum Cure .

most small clinic do not have the SNAKE SeRum .

the VET i talk to say someting like . the Serum is hard to store , as it expiry in about 2-3 week . and most clinic would not invest in buying one .

The shot is about 1,500 - 3000 baht .

---

in bangkok . you can go to the VET hopistal at " KONG 8 " there have the Snake Serum for bite , make sure you at least know what snake bite you or your dog when you go .

---------

i better not show my ifw this post if not she would be upset again

An Issan girl friend tells me it's an edible snake

It's a well known fact that anything that has previously had a pulse is edible in Isaan.

Looks like it.

Kukri snakes got their name from their enlarged rear teeth that look like kukri daggers. Kukri snakes consume eggs. Their teeth are modified to slit the shell as the egg is swallowed. Colour and pattern on the snakes can vary, making it difficult to identify.

I take it the wound(s) were cleaned and she got whole bunch of antibiotics?

Anyway, bon appetite.

I was sitting in my house and I heard my dogs going crazy outside so i went to see what they were up to and they were fighting with and killed this poor snake. The snake is about 3/4 of a metre long. I worry a bit one of my dogs might of got bit. I tried to search for this snake online and coulden't find it anywhere. Does anyone know what type of snake this is and is it poisonous? Thanks

Its a big gweeeen one

• 1 month later...

A killable snake, or in other words, a snake to be killed.

I hate snakes!

Any snake, poisonous or not

Edited by hansnl

• 4 weeks later...

Looks like the bloody thing that went for me tonight. I was in the house and the dog outside was doing it's nut for about 10 mins so I went out to tell it to shut up. As I passed the front of our truck I saw something out of the corner of my eye and the bastard jumped at me. Well, I basically nearly had a heart attack, I hate snakes and am the first to admit that I have an irrational fear of them but this one tried to bite me into the bargain. I couldn't let it out of my sight or I would never sleep again so I launched a breeze block at it and hit it but the thing didn't die, the only other thing I had was a 20ft bamboo pole so I thrashed it with that until i was sure it was dead. Eventually an uncle came down the road and saw what I was doing and said it was mildly poisonous and he just casually picked it up and threw it over the wall.

Anyone know where I can get a mongoose??? I bloody hate snakes. My first kill, I am not proud of it but i just can't be near these creatures. Uggghhh.

1) If it's dead eat it

2) If it's not dead, kill it and eat it

3) If you can't kill it, eat it.

4) If it's a farang, take all it's money then begin at rule 1.

:):D:D

Love the thread about how Thai birds aren't on the take. I wouldn't touch it, but for a comment about getting on the right bus.

Cryptic. :D

A killable snake, or in other words, a snake to be killed.

I hate snakes!

Any snake, poisonous or not

Why exactly?

I bought one of those "air soft" automatic BB guns, and it has a ROF of 14 balls a second and 450 FPS, and I can testify, that is will kill snakes.

It literally grinds them up snakes.

Get one and get a laser mounted on it, and you will not have to get "up close and personal" to any snakes you find in your yard in the future.

I bought one of those "air soft" automatic BB guns, and it has a ROF of 14 balls a second and 450 FPS, and I can testify, that is will kill snakes.

It literally grinds them up snakes.

Get one and get a laser mounted on it, and you will not have to get "up close and personal" to any snakes you find in your yard in the future.

Where?

How much?

Can you get fully automatic?

Rainy season approaches and the only dry spot round here will be my living room.

http://www.siambbgun.com/

They are all over Thailand.... Full auto, no problem, the sky is the limit, on price and quality. Honestly, I am surprised you did not know about them, they are all over China town, even malls like Sekon Square have them for sale.

All kinds of options, all kinds of features etc

When you go after a snake with one, it is like going after it with a weed whaker.... No mercy at all

I have yet to take on a FULL size King Cobra, but I have killed 1 meter cobra and a couple other 1 meter long snakes thus far. The laser is very effective in tracking those critters on the run.... when you finally start hitting the thing, it coils up and then you just comence to grinding....

Edited by Dakhar

They are all over Thailand.... Full auto, no problem, the sky is the limit, on price and quality. Honestly, I am surprised you did not know about them, they are all over China town, even males like Sekon Square have them for sale.

Neighbour offered an AK47 last year. But I thought that might be over kill.

I hate guns.

I might get a Ninja sword. :)

They are all over Thailand.... Full auto, no problem, the sky is the limit, on price and quality. Honestly, I am surprised you did not know about them, they are all over China town, even males like Sekon Square have them for sale.

I hate guns.

Its just a BB gun that shoots big white plastic BBs. At about 50 feet it feels like a horse fly sting. I accidently shot my hand at about 1 inch away.... now that was a numbing pain, but it was not the end of the word. It did not break the skin, but it did cause a blood blister. But it will tear the flesh of a snake, it will penetrate snakes, and it can cut them in half, quarters or thirds, it just depends on acuracy and the amount of BBs you have

Edited by Dakhar

I hate guns.

Its just a BB gun that shoots big white plastic BBs. At about 50 feet it feels like a horse fly sting. I accidently shot my hand at about 1 inch away.... now that was a numbing pain, but it was not the end of the word. It did not break the skin, but it did cause a blood blister. But it will tear the flesh of a snake, it will penetrate snakes, and it can cut them in half, quarters or thirds, it just depends on acuracy and the amount of BBs you have

:D:D:D

Comic genius!

http://www.siambbgun.com/ They are all over Thailand.... Full auto, no problem, the sky is the limit, on price and quality. Honestly, I am surprised you did not know about them, they are all over China town, even malls like Sekon Square have them for sale. All kinds of options, all kinds of features etc When you go after a snake with one, it is like going after it with a weed whaker.... No mercy at all I have yet to take on a FULL size King Cobra, but I have killed 1 meter cobra and a couple other 1 meter long snakes thus far. The laser is very effective in tracking those critters on the run.... when you finally start hitting the thing, it coils up and then you just comence to grinding....

Sir, never try shooting a FULL size king cobra with the BB.

7-8 years ago I and a friend had close encounterred with one big K cobra in Kanjanaburi jungle, the dia. was about 2".

In emergency we shot him with the real thing, 9 MM. pistols. We count 5 direct hits yet he slip away easily. If he chose to srtike back I think he can.

No hit in the head but you can see how tough he can be.

PS: The 9 MM. ammo was Federal Hydra-shok hollowed point. According to Marshall-Sanow ONE shot-stop statistic on human. It scores 83%

http://www.siambbgun.com/ They are all over Thailand.... Full auto, no problem, the sky is the limit, on price and quality. Honestly, I am surprised you did not know about them, they are all over China town, even malls like Sekon Square have them for sale. All kinds of options, all kinds of features etc When you go after a snake with one, it is like going after it with a weed whaker.... No mercy at all I have yet to take on a FULL size King Cobra, but I have killed 1 meter cobra and a couple other 1 meter long snakes thus far. The laser is very effective in tracking those critters on the run.... when you finally start hitting the thing, it coils up and then you just comence to grinding....

Sir, never try shooting a FULL size king cobra with the BB.

7-8 years ago I and a friend had close encounterred with one big K cobra in Kanjanaburi jungle, the dia. was about 2".

In emergency we shot him with the real thing, 9 MM. pistols. We count 5 direct hits yet he slip away easily. If he chose to srtike back I think he can.

No hit in the head but you can see how tough he can be.

PS: The 9 MM. ammo was Federal Hydra-shok hollowed point. According to Marshall-Sanow ONE shot-stop statistic on human. It scores 83%

Are you like, Rambo or something?

Good advice there. Just run!