Anyone Know What Kind Of Snake This Is?

DK and P991 - are you replying to the correct thread? (the keelback thread is: http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/Striped-Snake-t257097.html)

The OP appears to be a brown or grey kukuri (Oligodon purpurascens or O. joynsoni): neither is venomous but they have powerful teeth for breaking into eggs and thus, if threatened, can inflict a nasty bite which is slow to heal.

An Issan girl friend tells me it's an edible snake

What dont they eat ? :)

DK and P991 - are you replying to the correct thread? (the keelback thread is: http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/Striped-Snake-t257097.html)

The OP appears to be a brown or grey kukuri (Oligodon purpurascens or O. joynsoni): neither is venomous but they have powerful teeth for breaking into eggs and thus, if threatened, can inflict a nasty bite which is slow to heal.

What dont they eat ? :D

That's wrong at so many levels. :)

http://www.siambbgun.com/ They are all over Thailand.... Full auto, no problem, the sky is the limit, on price and quality. Honestly, I am surprised you did not know about them, they are all over China town, even malls like Sekon Square have them for sale. All kinds of options, all kinds of features etc When you go after a snake with one, it is like going after it with a weed whaker.... No mercy at all I have yet to take on a FULL size King Cobra, but I have killed 1 meter cobra and a couple other 1 meter long snakes thus far. The laser is very effective in tracking those critters on the run.... when you finally start hitting the thing, it coils up and then you just comence to grinding....
Sir, never try shooting a FULL size king cobra with the BB. 7-8 years ago I and a friend had close encounterred with one big K cobra in Kanjanaburi jungle, the dia. was about 2". In emergency we shot him with the real thing, 9 MM. pistols. We count 5 direct hits yet he slip away easily. If he chose to srtike back I think he can. No hit in the head but you can see how tough he can be. PS: The 9 MM. ammo was Federal Hydra-shok hollowed point. According to Marshall-Sanow ONE shot-stop statistic on human. It scores 83%
Are you like, Rambo or something? Good advice there. Just run!

That's why I now get .45... :)

Many said the King Cobra is the most aggrasive snake in TL. If you drive over one, he pokes back at the car.

http://www.siambbgun.com/ They are all over Thailand.... Full auto, no problem, the sky is the limit, on price and quality. Honestly, I am surprised you did not know about them, they are all over China town, even malls like Sekon Square have them for sale. All kinds of options, all kinds of features etc When you go after a snake with one, it is like going after it with a weed whaker.... No mercy at all I have yet to take on a FULL size King Cobra, but I have killed 1 meter cobra and a couple other 1 meter long snakes thus far. The laser is very effective in tracking those critters on the run.... when you finally start hitting the thing, it coils up and then you just comence to grinding....
Sir, never try shooting a FULL size king cobra with the BB. 7-8 years ago I and a friend had close encounterred with one big K cobra in Kanjanaburi jungle, the dia. was about 2". In emergency we shot him with the real thing, 9 MM. pistols. We count 5 direct hits yet he slip away easily. If he chose to srtike back I think he can. No hit in the head but you can see how tough he can be. PS: The 9 MM. ammo was Federal Hydra-shok hollowed point. According to Marshall-Sanow ONE shot-stop statistic on human. It scores 83%
Are you like, Rambo or something? Good advice there. Just run!

That's why I now get .45... :)

Many said the King Cobra is the most aggrasive snake in TL. If you drive over one, he pokes back at the car.

Those 'Tak Arb' centipede things are right evil b@stards too.

The most dangerous creature in the UK is a badger, second only to hooded youth.

Edited by MJP

ํYes, once the Ta-khab bit me and gave me tennis ball swollen ankle for a week. The allergic kid could even die.

However, I hate leech most.

I saw some small gray foxes in UK. Could not immigine before that the fox can be urban pest !

Ha Ha from my short experience there I agree on the hooded youth, the punks with no hood look very normal. I had one punk classmate and he was very gentle.

ํYes, once the Ta-khab bit me and gave me tennis ball swollen ankle for a week. The allergic kid could even die.

I saw some small gray foxes in UK. Could not immigine before that the fox can be urban pest !

Ha Ha from my short experience there I agree on the hooded youth, the punks with no hood look very normal. I had one punk classmate and he was very gentle.

Dangerous place now.

One old boy (62) got kicked to death by the hooded youth sp. Hoodius Youthum in my old seaside town a couple of weeks ago. Numerous beatings of old people for their pensions etc. Hideous pics in local papers of some poor old Gran's swollen face, all hooked up to wires and tubes, taken usually a few days before they die. Routine.

I think all decent folks over there should carry .45's. It'd put some manners on these scumbags.

Oh, in the mid 90s (even) Nottingham was still good to drink late at night. When the club close it the Old Market Square was full of drunken waiting for taxi but I saw no fight.

Yes I think decent folk (no record, no mental prob.) should be able to be armed if they want to.

I was there in 1996 when there was Dunblain shooting and they confiscated handgun. Afterwad the gun related crime was up. "If guns are outlawed, only the outlaws have guns".

Went for a Picnic last week in a field, just dozing off under a tree in the shade, and i saw this snake come to look, looked similar to the photo, completely ruined the day, had to pack up and go.

Even though it only came for a nosey and then slithered away, i was petrified.

Oh, in the mid 90s (even) Nottingham was still good to drink late at night. When the club close it the Old Market Square was full of drunken waiting for taxi but I saw no fight.

Yes I think decent folk (no record, no mental prob.) should be able to be armed if they want to.

I was there in 1996 when there was Dunblain shooting and they confiscated handgun. Afterwad the gun related crime was up. "If guns are outlawed, only the outlaws have guns".

Right!

Didn't they do this in a US State? Florida was it? Compulsory concealed carry or something like that. Crime dropped.

I was living on the Romford Road for a while last year, when I was at the Olympic Park job. Grief . . . what a dump. Sirens ever two minutes day and night. Shooting on that street monthly. What a place the UK turned into.

Totally unnecessary.

I was sitting in my house and I heard my dogs going crazy outside so i went to see what they were up to and they were fighting with and killed this poor snake. The snake is about 3/4 of a metre long. I worry a bit one of my dogs might of got bit. I tried to search for this snake online and coulden't find it anywhere. Does anyone know what type of snake this is and is it poisonous? Thanks

I agree with others; it does look like a Keelback to me... and non-venomous.

I like snakes and understand they play an important roll in keeping down the number of rodents. I'd rather have snakes any day to rats.

King cobras are fascinating creatures and very smart as well as growing to enormous sizes. This one was well over 16 feet long. I've only seen two King cobras in the wild and I didn't get very good photos. One was in heavy brush and I didn't want to approach too close. The other was swimming across a lake and my Thai guide wouldn't bring the boat any closer than 200 feet. I did get some good video though.

Cobra_071.jpg

Cobra_077.jpg

The smaller spectical cobra is quite venomous, but would rather be left alone than attack. I got very close to this one and it actually tapped the lens on my camera to warn me not to get any closer.

Cobra_015.jpg

Cobra_012.jpg

I was sitting in my house and I heard my dogs going crazy outside so i went to see what they were up to and they were fighting with and killed this poor snake. The snake is about 3/4 of a metre long. I worry a bit one of my dogs might of got bit. I tried to search for this snake online and coulden't find it anywhere. Does anyone know what type of snake this is and is it poisonous? Thanks

I agree with others; it does look like a Keelback to me... and non-venomous.

I like snakes and understand they play an important roll in keeping down the number of rodents. I'd rather have snakes any day to rats.

King cobras are fascinating creatures and very smart as well as growing to enormous sizes. This one was well over 16 feet long. I've only seen two King cobras in the wild and I didn't get very good photos. One was in heavy brush and I didn't want to approach too close. The other was swimming across a lake and my Thai guide wouldn't bring the boat any closer than 200 feet. I did get some good video though.

Cobra_071.jpg

Cobra_077.jpg

The smaller spectical cobra is quite venomous, but would rather be left alone than attack. I got very close to this one and it actually tapped the lens on my camera to warn me not to get any closer.

Cobra_015.jpg

Cobra_012.jpg

That's a really impressive telephoto lens you got there, Ian.

It IS a good lens. I shoot with a Nikon 200D and an 18 to 200 mm lens. However, you don't need the full telephoto when you get in the cage with the snake. You DO have to get in the cage because the wire screen ruins any photo taken outside of the cage. I don't mind playing with the smaller cobras, but the King cobras are too smart and too large to mess around with. They understand their handler, but would be very dangerous with strangers. I didn't get any closer than about 7 or 8 feet from the King cobra on my own. I have picked up the smaller cobras on several occasions. And, like I said, the one in the photo about was about 2 or 3 feet away. It just gave me a warning tap on the camera not to come any closer.

This is the business end of the King cobra when it was being distracted by the handler...

Cobra_074.jpg

Cobra_070.jpg

It IS a good lens. I shoot with a Nikon 200D and an 18 to 200 mm lens. However, you don't need the full telephoto when you get in the cage with the snake. You DO have to get in the cage because the wire screen ruins any photo taken outside of the cage. I don't mind playing with the smaller cobras, but the King cobras are too smart and too large to mess around with. They understand their handler, but would be very dangerous with strangers. I didn't get any closer than about 7 or 8 feet from the King cobra on my own. I have picked up the smaller cobras on several occasions. And, like I said, the one in the photo about was about 2 or 3 feet away. It just gave me a warning tap on the camera not to come any closer.

This is the business end of the King cobra when it was being distracted by the handler...

Cobra_074.jpg

Cobra_070.jpg

Ian,

If you're feeling depressed/suicidal, feel free to PM me any time.

I'm here for you.

:):D:D

Ian,

If you're feeling depressed/suicidal, feel free to PM me any time.

I'm here for you. [/img]

I'm never depressed. I enjoy the spice of life too much. I could tell you dozens of stories about my adventures with dangerous reptiles and animals in British Columbia and Australia. But, despite being chased by grizzly bears I've come closer to being killed when hunting goats in the cliffs of BC than any venomous snake bite. I had a few scary encounters with tiger snakes while fishing the streams of Tasmania and one actually punctured my rubber waders. But only once did I think my life was in danger.

Ur, the old Thai proverb says

ช้างสาร งูเห่า ข้าเก่า เมียรัก สี่อย่างนี้อย่าได้ไว้ใจนัก

"The Elephant, the COBRA, the old servant and the beloved wife, these 4 shouldn't be completely trusted."

Snakes are cool and provide an invaluable service - I used to collect them as a kid.

Imagine somebody trying to kill you every time ya went out.

One day the survivors will be in snake parks only.

More folks are killed by lightening in leap years, than via lethal snake bites.

BR>Jack

• 2 months later...
Snakes are cool and provide an invaluable service - I used to collect them as a kid.

Imagine somebody trying to kill you every time ya went out.

One day the survivors will be in snake parks only.

More folks are killed by lightening in leap years, than via lethal snake bites.

BR>Jack

So in 3 years out of 4 snakes kill more people than lightning?

I believe the worlds biggest killer is one of it's smaller creatures....the mosquito.

Dangerous place now.

One old boy (62) got kicked to death by the hooded youth sp. Hoodius Youthum in my old seaside town a couple of weeks ago. Numerous beatings of old people for their pensions etc. Hideous pics in local papers of some poor old Gran's swollen face, all hooked up to wires and tubes, taken usually a few days before they die. Routine.

I think all decent folks over there should carry .45's. It'd put some manners on these scumbags.

The best tool for the job would be a 12gauge shotgun.

• 3 weeks later...

It's a well known fact that anything that has previously had a pulse is edible in Isaan.

-------------------------------------

hahaha!! Yes can agree 100% to that Anything that walks, limbs. crawls sneaks up on you and flyes are

edible here in isaan.

Glegolo :):D:D

I played with baby black water moccasins as a very young child... until some man pointed out to me that it was dangerous and I was never allowed to play with them again. :) But I was allowed to catch and play with all the gardner and blue racers I could catch. Trouble is, those nasty buggers would bite and they didn't play nice like my black water moccasins. Not all of the vipers are aggressive. It's just that the 'mean' ones give the rest of them a bad reputation. I think most of the vipers are really pretty tame; they don't become aggressive unless really aggravated and then it's just a quick snap and run fast behavior.

There's a really good Snake Temple in Penang, Malaysia that has probably the best selection of vipers in S.E. Asia!

Edited by EffectiveAnger

Banded Kukri Snake
what's this one then ?

Three have bit the dust recently, the last one was moving under the grass I nearly trod on it, so it would be nice to know if its venomous or not. My view is treat them all as dangerous

post-32485-1253349695_thumb.jpg

Thanks for that but is it venomous ??

No it is it not.

Banded Kukri Snake
what's this one then ?

Three have bit the dust recently, the last one was moving under the grass I nearly trod on it, so it would be nice to know if its venomous or not. My view is treat them all as dangerous

post-32485-1253349695_thumb.jpg

Thanks for that but is it venomous ??

No it is it not.

Banded

As I read through several internet articles, I didn't find whether or not it was venomous to be quite settled. It appears that the Kukri Snake may have its fangs in the rear of the mouth (similar to American coral snakes) and that the venom is weak, but present.