Solar panel advice & experiences

I got an estimate for solar panel installation on my roof. Aside from the environmental benefits, what do you think about the financial aspects of this: $34k up front cost $21k cost after refunds and tax credits 14.5y to pay back cost, based on their estimates (average annual energy usage, projected energy production, etc.) House is 18y old, roof 9y old. Plan to stay here for at least 20y more. Would you do it? Has anyone done it? Good/bad experiences?

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Crossy said:

Where are you??

14.5 yr payback is a long time if you are located in Thailand.

A contractor installed on-grid system here will be paying back in 7-8 years, a DIY system more like 4 years.

Yes it can be cheap to do ,a friend bought used panels for half the price of new ones.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, chrisjr761 said:

where

The Alternative Energy forum where you are viewing it now ???? 

EDIT If you look around in this forum you'll find quite a few "experiences" both DIY and contactor installed.

@chrisjr761

IMHO you should also take into account how much interest you get from the Bank if you just leave the money in the Bank and don't' go Solar vs getting the solar and savings you make on your Electric Bill.!

For me that was the deciding factor and we (here in Thailand) don't get a refunds or Tax Credits when installing Solar.

But $34k is a lot (approx 1,1 Million THB) what kind of a system are you getting?

Also worth  consindering, do you have a feed-in tariff? If so how much per kWh?

A feed-in tariff is a policy mechanism designed to accelerate investment in renewable energy technologies by offering long-term contracts to renewable energy producers.

• Like 1

Mate of mine in Australia with rooftop solar reckons he often gets less from his feed-in tariff on bright sunny days than on cloudy days. He says reason is that there’s so much rooftop solar in his suburb that the grid can’t handle the amount of power produced on sunny days, and his inverter is automatically switched off. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Crossy said:

Yeah, it's at times like this that having your own local storage (rather than feeding the grid) can start to pay off.

Exactly, that is why I want go only for a 5kW system but with a Double or Triple that size battery!

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, MJCM said:

Exactly, that is why I want go only for a 5kW system but with a Double or Triple that size battery!

More storage being added as funding allows ???? I'm in no great rush as we still have a conventional meter.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Crossy said:

Yeah, it's at times like this that having your own local storage (rather than feeding the grid) can start to pay off.

I'd get some batteries, but all the folk selling them on Lazada get bad reviews ...... he sent me 'fat' batteries.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

I'd get some batteries, but all the folk selling them on Lazada get bad reviews ...... he sent me 'fat' batteries.

Sorry to hear that, what happened when you send it back, got a refund?

I am really reluctant to buy real expensive stuff (like the Solar Batteries) from Lazada.

You have to pre-pay it and what happens if you receive it and its a dud.

8 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Yes, batteries are a minefield with all sorts of junk being sold as "new".

Our used LiFePO4 golf-cart cells are performing pretty well, we shall see just how long they continue.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, MJCM said:

You have to pre-pay it and what happens if you receive it and its a dud.

Provided you can demonstrate it's dud within a reasonable time then Lazada's refund system is actually very good.

The problem is going to be that demonstration when you have something like a 15kWh ESS. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Crossy said:

The problem is going to be that demonstration when you have something like a 15kWh ESS. 

Exactly. I will contact the seller and ask where his shop is, and when it's a couple 100km away I am going to his shop and buy it there instead of ordering it via Lazada!!

50 minutes ago, Crossy said:

Yes, batteries are a minefield with all sorts of junk being sold as "new".

Our used LiFePO4 golf-cart cells are performing pretty well, we shall see just how long they continue.

I stopped using Lazada some years ago for various reasons. All my equipment comes direct from Chinese factories and I have had very few problems. About nine years ago, when I bought my first bunch of 32 panels from Foshan Tanfon, about half a dozen were not good enough. The factory was very obliging and sent me replacements. All I paid was transport costs. The batteries were VRLA (valve regulated lead acid) which easily lasted five years.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 12/30/2021 at 10:11 AM, BritManToo said:

I spent around 20,000bht on 5 panel and 2 GTIs.

My return is around 500bht/month, so 40 months to break even.

Been going 2 years with nothing broken so far, another 18 months and I'll be into profit.

134 units generated this month so far, estimate another 10 this year.

144 x 4.2bht = 600bht saved in December.

Britmantoo always posts worthwhile comments on this subject. Crossy too.

• Thanks 2