Are You A Golf Wannabe?

DJ Pat

Why is it that some folks get into playing golf just because other well-heeled expats do and they want to up their status? I hate the game with it's alleged exercise benefits and all the patheticness that goes with it.

Before I came to Thailand I never played golf so why should I start? Same applies to all you fake wannabes who do it to 'enhance' your status.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

<deleted> ###### Pat, had a bad day. :D

Alot of people I know play golf and alot of them play golf because they work at night and playing golf in the daytime provides certain things-

1, Out in the sun instead of indoors on a bloody pc.

2, A sociable get together.

3, Its a sport, don't people do sports? :D

4, It beats sitting in poxy Walking st drinking all day.

5, Beautiful caddies that help your game by showing you their stroke whilst in the rough. :D:o:D

6, Beautiful countryside (yes around Pattaya).

etc etc

If it was'nt because of back aches I'd start playing it, :D

Golf is a wonderful game but it takes a lot of time to learn, even more time to play and it is expensive. But it is great exercise if you walk and carry your own bag and it is one of those things you never completely master, so it appeas to the masochistic personality.

I suggest tennis if you want to get out and exercise. It is much easier to learn, much cheaper to play and inexpensive.

JMHO

Count me in as a golfer, a hack, a player. I didn't know it made me higher on the social ladder. Damned all those beers and laughs and talking/ flirting and holding hands with the cute caddies. Even flirting with other golfer's caddies.

Oh, and getting outside for 4-8 hours a day in a lush green environment. Did I say lush? Yes I am. I hate that.

Caddie, take hold of my sceptre and clean my balls!!! I'm so Hi-So when I'm on the links. haha

Anyway..... I've played Lam Luka, Pinehurst, and Green Valley (overpriced for the course) in Bangkok. What are other good courses in Bangkok? I heard Pinehurst was trying to weed out the older "larger" senior caddies for some yonger ones. Has that happened?

The Bangkok courses seem a little flat to me. I've also played in Chiang Mai, Pattaya, and Phuket. Those areas have some good hilly terrain and more challenging courses.

Anybody here play Club Cengkareng in Jakarta? Can any course in Thailand beat that "ambience"?

Does the op only refer to those supposed social climbing beginners?

How are people, like myself, viewed as they've played the game for over 30 years, can still hack around in just about single figures, once went in for The St. Andrews Boys' Open, has helped with the scoring at The Thai Open and still throughly enjoys a good few hours out on the course with friends and, of course, the caddies who always seem to make a disasterous day seem good?

Don't see any reason why beginners shouldn't be allowed to experience the fun as well.

Why is it that some folks get into playing golf just because other well-heeled expats do and they want to up their status? I hate the game with it's alleged exercise benefits and all the patheticness that goes with it.

Before I came to Thailand I never played golf so why should I start? Same applies to all you fake wannabes who do it to 'enhance' your status.

When your smiling,

When your smiling,

The whole world

Smiles with you...

(and so on and so forth...)

Pick up a golf magazine called "Bogey" and then you will really see how golf has transcended age, race, gender and social-economic status. Has some great layouts in it....

I know they stock it in most bookstores...i have seen it in bookstores in the Emporium but i know our resident DJ doesnt like it in there....