Situation In Cm

robert10

I'm due to arrive in CM later this week for holiday. From what I see on TV, the chaos seems largely confined to Bangkok. How's the situation in CM? Any reason for me to postpone my trip (I'll hate to have to do that!). Feedback please. Thanks

I'm due to arrive in CM later this week for holiday. From what I see on TV, the chaos seems largely confined to Bangkok. How's the situation in CM? Any reason for me to postpone my trip (I'll hate to have to do that!). Feedback please. Thanks

all quiet in C M this morning, no problems yesterday. I have a friend in Lampang who is trying to drive back and said the road is still blocked and the train from BKK to CM is canceled not operating at all at the moment so air is the only option but unless you have a ticket already this may not be an option either, unless they put on more flights which is a possibility

The situation is horrible here, you can't walk the streets without being shot at, then you get attacked from all angles including vehicles travelling past you at speed trying to get a good enough shot to knock you off your bike. But then again it is Songkran what do you expect. If your talking about the political chaos, your safe in Chiang Mai there appears to be none of it here. Come and enjoy the city, you'll love it. :o:D

Quite safe except that a lot of the farangs are revolting. :o

Well the farangs are all on the streets or in often black Fortunas or other vehicles wih darkened windows driving too fast and aiming high powered water canon at everone.

Edited by harrry

I have yet to see 1 red shirt. Lots of good times with Songkran. Water shooting - yes, nothing more.

I've seen them. On Saturday there were about 2,000 of them that blocked the intersection where Teppanya Hospital is. I pulled up to the intersection coming from Mae Jo. All of a sudden several red-shirts with black face masks pulled up to the intersection on motor bikes and stopped all traffic from getting through the intersection in every direction. Some motorists looked scared. About five minutes later a procession of perhaps 200 or more cars, trucks with loudspeakers, tuk-tuks, songtaews and motorcycles carrying red-shirts (many with full face masks) came through from the direction of Tesco Kamtieng blasting their propaganda on speakers, honking horns, carrying Thai flags, posters of Thaksin, etc.

all quiet in C M this morning, no problems yesterday. I have a friend in Lampang who is trying to drive back and said the road is still blocked and the train from BKK to CM is canceled not operating at all at the moment so air is the only option but unless you have a ticket already this may not be an option either, unless they put on more flights which is a possibility

It is possible to drive from Lampang To Chiang Mai, just not on the main highway. A relative drove up from Sukothai yesterday, but he had to go from Lampang up to Chae Hom & then over the mountains to Doi Saket. Another possibility is the road though Li. These routes will add a couple of hours to the drive, but it's still doable. Air is not the only option.

Safe as houses! If it wasn't for the news, you would not even be aware of any troubles in BKK. People too busy with Songkran and having a bit of fun!

Saying that I did see about 300 red shirts on heading out towards Lampang a few days ago near Carrefour, but it is unlikely being here on holiday you will see anything to be concerned about, just come and enjoy yourself!

Edited by kjhbigv

Currently, Chiang Mai is quite alright. Since Abhisit put the red shirts in Bangkok on buses to their hometowns, however, the potential for trouble in Chiang Mai has increased. It was just reported on national television that the number of red shirts in CM has tripled in the last 20 minutes.

Edited by mistavengeance

I have yet to see 1 red shirt. Lots of good times with Songkran. Water shooting - yes, nothing more.

I've seen them. On Saturday there were about 2,000 of them that blocked the intersection where Teppanya Hospital is. I pulled up to the intersection coming from Mae Jo. All of a sudden several red-shirts with black face masks pulled up to the intersection on motor bikes and stopped all traffic from getting through the intersection in every direction. Some motorists looked scared. About five minutes later a procession of perhaps 200 or more cars, trucks with loudspeakers, tuk-tuks, songtaews and motorcycles carrying red-shirts (many with full face masks) came through from the direction of Tesco Kamtieng blasting their propaganda on speakers, honking horns, carrying Thai flags, posters of Thaksin, etc.

Can't say I'm sorry I missed it.

Not as bad as I thought.

In my area only 5 Farangs were brutally murdered by red shirted mobs over the last week.

I’m OK, armed myself up to the hilt.

The wife wasn’t so lucky, warned her not to go shopping wearing a yellow tee shirt.

Nevermind, things are not so bad, I’ll go out in the town tonight and find another one.

Now being serious:

I`ve been laughing at some of the news articles published in the UK press.

Such as: Thailand is spiralling out of control, British people living in Thailand should stay at home etc, etc.

This really annoys me frightening people like that, extremely bad journalism and sensationalism.

Edited by sassienie

The wife wasn’t so lucky, warned her not to go shopping wearing a yellow tee shirt.

Nevermind, things are not so bad, I’ll go out in the town tonight and find another one.

The som-tam lady told me, Tesco Lotus have a sale on twin-packs, I always fancied being married to twins. :D

Seriously I'd say it's perfectly OK here, except for all the Songkran freedom-fighters, making a bit of a splash. :o

The wife wasn't so lucky, warned her not to go shopping wearing a yellow tee shirt.

I'll go out in the town tonight and find another one.

:o

I sort of use the same system, Ulysses. I call it rent-a-wife. You can get an up dated new model every week when the old one wears out. Much cheaper that way. :D:D:D