Test Drive A 400

The CBR 150 is a great bike.....very hard to fault. But the CB400 is a whole new dimension ......comfortable and smooth ....smooth power that doesnt run out when u need it most. Easy to ride...just need get used to the extra weight which doesnt take long. Maybe not quite so nippy in heavy city traffic.

Does use considerably more gasolene tho.....

The CBR 150 is a great bike.....very hard to fault. But the CB400 is a whole new dimension ......comfortable and smooth ....smooth power that doesnt run out when u need it most. Easy to ride...just need get used to the extra weight which doesnt take long. Maybe not quite so nippy in heavy city traffic.

Does use considerably more gasolene tho.....

Oooo baby! Now I want it. I was thinking for highway traveling as I do alot of it for fun and sightseeing. I would keep the CBR150 for convenience.

It only weights an extra 30 kg, and it's width is only 3 inches more. I noticed the CBR was a bit harder to turn in really tight positions in the traffic than the previous Wave I owned, and I would expect the CB to be maybe a tad more so. But it's length and width is only a hair more than the CBR. It just weights more and the engine sticks out more.

^ why don't you go rent one?

Hmm. How much does it cost. Can I do a 1 day rental.

I heard the insurance is no good when renting? I could be off on that one. It is a vague memory.

Rental for a 400 would be about 500B a day (Pattaya) Insurance.......none. U bend it u pay for it.

If you are a sensible driver you shouldnt have any problems, choose a quiet area to drive around first get used to it.

I have a CBR150 and have rented a CBR600 (800 a day) several times. More than twice the power of the 400 (6 times that of the 150) and no problems. Drove from Rayong to Khon Khaen and back plus commuting to work 65km everyday for a week.

Must say my CBR400 feels very tame compared to the 600 tho.

^ why don't you go rent one?

Hmm. How much does it cost. Can I do a 1 day rental.

I heard the insurance is no good when renting? I could be off on that one. It is a vague memory.

Rental for a 400 would be about 500B a day (Pattaya) Insurance.......none. U bend it u pay for it.

If you are a sensible driver you shouldnt have any problems, choose a quiet area to drive around first get used to it.

I have a CBR150 and have rented a CBR600 (800 a day) several times. More than twice the power of the 400 (6 times that of the 150) and no problems. Drove from Rayong to Khon Khaen and back plus commuting to work 65km everyday for a week.

Must say my CBR400 feels very tame compared to the 600 tho.

I'm in Bangkok. Maybe I could take a one day trip to Pattaya.

Are they even renting them in Pattaya anymore? Haven't been down the Patts in a while, thought they would have gotten rid of most of the big bikes with the BiB crackdown.

I was there maybe a week ago. Just took a trip there to test the CBR. I've only been there once so I don't know how many is tons, but there was alot. No shortage. Lots of people trying to sell their services.

The Honda VFR400R NC30 is widely known to be one of the best handling roadbikes ever made. The V4 engine has a very wide powerband for a 400cc, which makes it a perfect beginners-superbike and very well suited to Thai roads and traffic. 50-60Hp, awesome torque, and only ~164Kg! :D

Lots in Thailand and some even have plates! :D

p5554504n1.jpg

Repsolracer1a.jpg

WOOT! :o

Proper little howler.. But the VFR / CBR / GSXR / sport 400's are all a step away from the CB400 / XJR400 of the OP..

I don't understand what mean by a step away in regards to the "OP."

Also, I want a bike that is more comfortable for my girlfriend to ride on for highway traveling.

I'm going to go to Pattaya to test drive a cb400 or xjr. I want to stay over night, but don't want to spend much on sleeping in a room for 8 hours. I don't need anything fancy and want to spend as little as possible.

I mean that a sport bike like the mentioned CBR / VFR / GSXR / Etc are quite a kind of different ride style of bike than the naked middleweight machines like the CB400 and the XJR400 which are more tour / all rounders.. Of course the VTEC CB400's are no slouch but the seating and bar positions leave very different ride feel between these 2 styles.

Kinda why I liked the Bandit 4 as it was tight chassis, sharp feeling handling.. But with a semi upright seating feel and not all weight on your hands. I possibly feel that more than most as both being a bit heavy and a bit tall tend to be tipped forward on the small sport 400s more than say someone 6ft or under.

The CB 400 is generally thought of as the better handler compared to the XJR. I bought the XJR (1300, mind you) I bought it because I totally preferred the look of the XJR over the CB. As for test rides... I guess the best thing would be to rent, I guess. Like everyone else said :o

How experienced are you with motorcycling anyway?

XJR 1300 with a set of 4-2 pipes sounds like a hellspawn drag bike. LOVE mine.

Lennya if you want a cheap place, just stay at the Apex Hotel on Pattaya 2nd road near soi 11.

600 baht a night and decent hotel rooms with fantastic minibars (no trips to 7-11 needed)

There's 4 rental guys right down the street on beach road that have CB400s (non-vtec) and a few XJRs.

XJR 1300 with a set of 4-2 pipes sounds like a hellspawn drag bike. LOVE mine.

Lennya if you want a cheap place, just stay at the Apex Hotel on Pattaya 2nd road near soi 11.

600 baht a night and decent hotel rooms with fantastic minibars (no trips to 7-11 needed)

There's 4 rental guys right down the street on beach road that have CB400s (non-vtec) and a few XJRs.

I have 4-1 pipes :o Wouldn't mind getting my hands on 4-2 though... dual exhaust is something that sets it apart :D

I'm looking to test drive a CB or XJR 400.

I have a CBR 150 right now and have never driven a 400 before.

Lennya if you've never ridden a big bike or cafe-style racer, take it nice and easy if you rent one in Patts. I've seen a lot of idiot russian tourists who have NEVER ridden a bike, proudly rent a CBR1000, sign their contract saying they have to pay for all the damage, and make it about 10 feet from the rental shop before dumping it.

The rental shop guys LOVE it, you can practically see them licking their lips when the contract is being signed.

A little off-hand, but i could recommend going down to Koh Samui for a weekend.

Ohm Motorcycles has quite a few nice bikes to choose from, including CB400s and CB750s. It's a bit quieter than patts and there are a lot more roads to practice on.

As far as safety on the roads....it Patts you have TRAFFIC..In Samui you have traffic and sheer-drop cliffs...

Not to dissuade you or anything, but best of luck to you!

Go for it OP. I PX'd my CBR 150 for a CBR 400 and haven't looked back. Get a set of ram-guards or sliders so if you drop it you don't end up scratching the fairing etc.

People finick and buzz on about what's best but a bigger bike is a bigger bike. I commute through city traffic in a CBR 400 a piece of piss now I'm used to it and tour 600 kms a day without a problem. Honda engines on CBRs and the like are very tough beasts. Just make sure you oil change every 3,000-6,000 kms with decent oil and filter :o

Thanks everyone for the replies. I am back from Pattaya now. rented a CB400 for one day, starting the afternoon, and stayed the night, giving back the next afternoon, and now I'm home.

It was a whole new dimension. I'm not an experienced rider, and have had no formal training or testing, like necessary in Canada. I have had a Wave and a CBR and have driven many hours every day in Bangkok traffic and on highways for about 3 months. Thats my teacher. I dropped the Wave once with a 200 pound guy on the back, when I car cut me off and I slammed on the brakes too hard while turning at the same time. Rationally I know that you cannot be skidding and turning at the same time, but it was just a reaction. I learned from it. No other real problems. I feel quite confident thus far, and the CB400 was a blast. Took it up and down Beach Road a little too fast for the amount of cars and people around, and blasted up and down Sukumwit. Hit 180 quite easily. Wow. It is a whole new dimension. I got on my CBR150 to come home and it felt like a little toy. Vibrating like hel_l when you get to 110km/h.

The CB400 was very quick and very smooth and very comfortable, and I had assumed that the XJ400 would be fairly similar. As well, it is only 3 inches wider so I still made through tight spots, and never held up any anxious Waves behind me. The Waves were holding me up! :o The weight was hardly noticeable. With my girlfriend on the back I had no problem turning/driving slowly and balancing.

The CBR400 and the VFR400 do look/sound very nice. I definitely want to get a 400 now. I do alot of highway traveling and sight seeing, and the CBR 150 just won't cut it anymore. But I was hoping for something more comfortable for my girlfriend, though she said the seat on the CB wasn't much better than the CBR150. So maybe I could get a sports bike instead. I had previously ruled it out due to the preconceived notion that the CB would be more comfortable. What I need is a new seat on ANY bike. With the right seat mods / material, could she sit decently and noticeably better than a stock CBR150, on say a CBR400 or VFR400?

Also, what kind of fuel do these 400s consume?

You guys have been a huge help! :D

I mean that a sport bike like the mentioned CBR / VFR / GSXR / Etc are quite a kind of different ride style of bike than the naked middleweight machines like the CB400 and the XJR400 which are more tour / all rounders.. Of course the VTEC CB400's are no slouch but the seating and bar positions leave very different ride feel between these 2 styles.

Kinda why I liked the Bandit 4 as it was tight chassis, sharp feeling handling.. But with a semi upright seating feel and not all weight on your hands. I possibly feel that more than most as both being a bit heavy and a bit tall tend to be tipped forward on the small sport 400s more than say someone 6ft or under.

I am 6foot 2 inches. Might be uncomfortable? What about compared to the CBR 150. I didn't notice any stress on comfort driving the CBR 150 400 kms without stopping.

Some of those are missing plates tho.. Make sure you understand what your doing with the tabien when it comes to these kind of priced mocyc adverts.

Dont pay anything until you get the book properly in your name.. Lots and lots of bent papers out there.

I have my sights set on a VFR 400 NC 30. I have seen some with the books for around 60-70k. They look beautiful. Very slim. Light. Powerful.

Aside from the obvious stuff when buy. Greenbook. General condition. Etc.

Some other things I've been thinking of. It was only made in 89-92. Thats an older bike. Whats to be expected for kms on the thing. Reliability? Chances of breakdown as opposed to a newer one? Avaliablity of parts? Price of repairs?

Also, what type of fuel would it use?

I happen to have a 92 NC-30 for sale for 55,000. They're great bikes. Mine has a legit green book too. Availability of parts is good and the price is quite fair. They're quite reliable if you perform routine maintenance on them and don't leave it till it's broken. Most shops use Thai parts unless you specify what you want, so that makes them fairly cheap to repair.

I happen to have a 92 NC-30 for sale for 55,000. They're great bikes. Mine has a legit green book too. Availability of parts is good and the price is quite fair. They're quite reliable if you perform routine maintenance on them and don't leave it till it's broken. Most shops use Thai parts unless you specify what you want, so that makes them fairly cheap to repair.

Where is it posted. Can I view the ad? How many kms?

my email is [email protected] if you have any pics

And I find hard to believe that it has a real green book, is in top condition, and 55k baht! Maybe a "dodgy green book."

Sorry, I just finished reading some lengthy threads/discussions about green books on imported Jap bikes.

Thanks, Lenny

It's not in top condition. Needs new tyres and paintjob. The papers are all in order though, according to what I've been told. You actually can get a real green book, it just costs more. Pics emailed to ya :o