Monk Tattoos

Hi everyone,

I'm travelling to Phuket in early April and am very keen to get a tattoo while I'm there. After much consideration I've decided that I would really like to get the tattoo done in the traditional Thai way, by a Monk. The only problem is that I'm female, and have heard that there are very few Monks who would perform this sacred act on a woman. Could anyone give me any information and perhaps some places you've heard of that I could get this done? Thanks alot!

Bella

Hi everyone,

I'm travelling to Phuket in early April and am very keen to get a tattoo while I'm there. After much consideration I've decided that I would really like to get the tattoo done in the traditional Thai way, by a Monk. The only problem is that I'm female, and have heard that there are very few Monks who would perform this sacred act on a woman. Could anyone give me any information and perhaps some places you've heard of that I could get this done? Thanks alot!

Hi everyone,

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:o

Bella,

for starters, try the Phuket forum.

Secondly, monks can't touch women, period.

In Bangkok there's in some suburbs loads of guys who offer the services you're looking for though.

If you look carefully, you may be able to find local tattoo guys who offer the Thai traditional way as well.

Bella,

for starters, try the Phuket forum.

Secondly, monks can't touch women, period.

In Bangkok there's in some suburbs loads of guys who offer the services you're looking for though.

If you look carefully, you may be able to find local tattoo guys who offer the Thai traditional way as well.

But, monks have touched women in Thailand, and I've seen in on more than one occasion, putting on wrist string... I was reminded because I just watched the same thing happen a moment ago on an episode of 'Tha Amazing Race' by Theravada monks in Sri Lanka

Maybe some cleansing ritual afterwards?.... Or defrocking.

Christianity is a lot easier here. Complete absolution comes by just thinking, (You) "Sorry, God. Forgive me" :D (God) "Okey-Dokey" :o ....

Use as needed :D

Hi everyone,

I'm travelling to Phuket in early April and am very keen to get a tattoo while I'm there. After much consideration I've decided that I would really like to get the tattoo done in the traditional Thai way, by a Monk.

I think you have to do some more consideration and actually understand what you are saying. Please read some more about buddishm and monks before you ask something this silly.

The only problem is that I'm female, and have heard that there are very few Monks who would perform this sacred act on a woman.
What you heard is true, making your wish an impossible one.
Could anyone give me any information and perhaps some places you've heard of that I could get this done? Thanks alot!

Bella

In about every tattoo shop you encounter in Thailand. But it won't be a monk.

Are you sure mom and dad approve of this?

Hi everyone,

Bella

Hi Bella,

Yep, you can get it done in any tattoo shop in the Kingdom (probably), but you will not be able to get a monk to do it for you.

Try this link www.tattoophiphi.com

Bella,

You might consider changing your mind about the traditional tattoo or bamboo tattoo, they tend to look a bit flaky after a while & unless your a monk or a thai man who's been a monk then temple tattoos really look a bit naff :D There are a load of great tattooist in the kingdom with immense talent (I know, I married one :D ) who can do you an original, spiritual tattoo that will last & look good in years to come. Bamboo tattoos I'm afraid don't, as the pigment of the ink can't get in the skin as well as with a machine & end up being a green colour & although the workmanship is good, with bad colour it will probably end up being a substandard peice of body art :o

Bella,

You might consider changing your mind about the traditional tattoo or bamboo tattoo, they tend to look a bit flaky after a while & unless your a monk or a thai man who's been a monk then temple tattoos really look a bit naff :D  There are a load of great tattooist in the kingdom with immense talent (I know, I married one :D ) who can do you an original, spiritual tattoo that will last & look good in years to come. Bamboo tattoos I'm afraid don't, as the pigment of the ink can't get in the skin as well as with a machine & end up being a green colour & although the workmanship is good, with bad colour it will probably end up being a substandard peice of body art :o

do you have any tattoos Boo?

But, monks have touched women in Thailand, and I've seen in on more than one occasion, putting on wrist string...

They indeed do. However this is a Buddhist ritual. Thats the closest you will ever get to a monk "touching a female".

And if you observe this being performed, he does not actally touch her.

But a monk tattooing a woman :o:D:D

• 1 year later...

In Thailand what they, and you call "traditional thailand way" not have been done by bamboo stick. That way how they nowadays do bamboo tattoo is a cheap copy from japanese thousands of years-long tattoo culture. In Japan they have done tattoos by a bamboo stick. In Borneo, Sumatra, Sulawesi and around Indonesia and Oceania including New zealand, they have also a long tattooculture, where tribal tattooing tools made from bamboo.

In Thailand, Laos and Vietnam buddhist monks has done tattoos also hundred or even thousands of years, but not with bamboo. Tools are made from metal. So what you get from Thai islands and tattooshops is not traditional. Its a japanese style. Only traditional tattooing what you get from thailand is from buddhist monk. You should never try to give money to them (only box of cigarettes and enough thai bahts inside is what they wait from you after tattooing).

And Khun_Jean: Read something about tattoo history before you say anythind that silly. You obviously dont have any idea of this subject, you just want to feel like king.

F*****G Idiot.

I remember someone said they not going to touch to any woman.... You dont have no idea..

That tattooing stick is long, so you dont have to touch to anyone if you dont like to.

Dont try to show that you know something if you dont. Bella C's question was good. Answers was bad. Idiots.

thaitattoo.jpg

Buddhist monk tattoo tool:

thaitattootool.jpg

Japanese tattoo tool made from bamboo:

japantattootool.jpg

In Thailand what they, and you call "traditional thailand way" not have been done by bamboo stick. That way how they nowadays do bamboo tattoo is a cheap copy from japanese thousands of years-long tattoo culture. In Japan they have done tattoos by a bamboo stick. In Borneo, Sumatra, Sulawesi and around Indonesia and Oceania including New zealand, they have also a long tattooculture, where tribal tattooing tools made from bamboo.

In Thailand, Laos and Vietnam buddhist monks has done tattoos also hundred or even thousands of years, but not with bamboo. Tools are made from metal. So what you get from Thai islands and tattooshops is not traditional. Its a japanese style. Only traditional tattooing what you get from thailand is from buddhist monk. You should never try to give money to them (only box of cigarettes and enough thai bahts inside is what they wait from you after tattooing).

And Khun_Jean: Read something about tattoo history before you say anythind that silly. You obviously dont have any idea of this subject, you just want to feel like king.

F*****G Idiot.

I remember someone said they not going to touch to any woman.... You dont have no idea..

That tattooing stick is long, so you dont have to touch to anyone if you dont like to.

Dont try to show that you know something if you dont. Bella C's question was good. Answers was bad. Idiots.

Temper temper There..Its only your first post..Everyone has a right to their opinion.. I found the OP question lacking in the fact that she knows that the monk is not supposed to touch a female or be tempted yet she asks.. Your knowledge is great your reply comes across as angery that ruins it.

thaitattoo.jpg

Buddhist monk tattoo tool:

thaitattootool.jpg

Japanese tattoo tool made from bamboo:

japantattootool.jpg

I may be wrong but to me it looks like the monk is touching her. We all know in Thailand many rules are broken or shall we say, bent. I'm sure the touching rule could be overcome if there are others around to be witnesses that the touching is purely for the sake of the tatoo. More than likely it's the 'donation' to the temple and others helping that allows the rules to be bent.

By the way, I don't have tatoo's and wouldn't get one, but I do quite like the look of a decent tatoo, I just wouldn't get one because like all things different styles go out of fasion, and then your stuck looking like an idiot with a faded green tatoo. Look at all those people that got anchors or love hate, and spiders webs, don't they look right fools now.

Anyway I think you should think long and hard about this tatoo especially if you plan to live inThailandn you will not be respected, they will think you very strange indeed. In Thai society women should certainly not have tatoos. For a women to have this type of tatoo in Thailand would be weird People may be too polite to say to your face, or even may seem like they are impressed but I assure you they will be just trying to save face for you, so if you do get it, don't go showing it off............

Womble,

Why would it be strange for Thai women to have such tattoos? I know a few ladies who have 'protective' and 'good health' tattoos and nobody seems to take offense of them or think those ladies are weird.

Womble,

Why would it be strange for Thai women to have such tattoos? I know a few ladies who have 'protective' and 'good health' tattoos and nobody seems to take offense of them or think those ladies are weird.

Yeah I have seen girls with them too, but they've always been bar girls or girls from the same level of society.

I don't think you'll find many middle class girls in Bangkok or the provincial towns with them.

So I guess it depends on what socio-economic group you choose to hang with. I think you'll find that if you hang around with the average fairly conservative thai's who work middle of the road office jobs they will not approve.

Agreed, I've never seen a woman who is not a bargirl or a similar class here with a tattoo either.

But, if we all look at the OP it is dated from last year. Resurrecting an old one, today, aren't we? What, shootings and bbq aren't interesting enough? :o

Agreed, I've never seen a woman who is not a bargirl or a similar class here with a tattoo either.

But, if we all look at the OP it is dated from last year. Resurrecting an old one, today, aren't we? What, shootings and bbq aren't interesting enough? :o

SBK and Womble,

I know a few very hi so Thai girls that have Tattoos.

Most of the 'protective' tattoos though are indeed worn by bg's.

Yeah some 'Hi So' girls have tats (not the protective ones), but i'm sure you'll find they are very discreet tattoos, not like the big ones we were talking about, anyway, even if it was a small one, I doubt most of them would let their family see it, particulary the older generation, infact they would probobally try to hide it. These girls know that by getting tattoos they are rebelling.

Tattoos are definatley not regarded highly by mainstream Thais, they are pretty conservative, and those with tattoos are seen as rebels.

Yeah some 'Hi So' girls have tats (not the protective ones), but i'm sure you'll find they are very discreet tattoos, not like the big ones we were talking about, anyway, even if it was a small one, I doubt most of them would let their family see it, particulary the older generation, infact they would probobally try to hide it. These girls know that by getting tattoos they are rebelling.

Tattoos are definatley not regarded highly by mainstream Thais, they are pretty conservative, and those with tattoos are seen as rebels.

Life would be pretty boring without rebels though, wouldn't it? :o

• 1 year later...

This is really stupid...

Bamboo" sak yant tattoos (what you call monk tattoos haha!) are not made with bamboo and even normal hand made thai tattoos are ALSO NOT made with a bamboo instrument...

wood, metal, or stainless steel, brass and even chopsticks are used as a handle, but hardly ever if not NEVER are they seen to be made from bamboo!

althought there is no reason why they couldn't be..the japanese use bamboo sometimes.

As for you saying that hand made tattoos are inferior to machine made (probably gotr this info from your uk tattooist boyfriend - well im also a professional tattooist since 20 years and have tattooed on tens of international tattoo conventions and also know how to tattoo both hand and machine made tattoos)

this is total crap - most hand made tattoos SEEM inferior and do fade but that is not because the ink doesnt go in it is because most hand tattooists never got a chance to learn the real techniques from aprofessional and made their own way in their kitchen, couldnt afford a machine or no one would sell them one (in the old days it was impossible to buy a machine unless you wheedled your way in to the scene by paying your dues first - these days there are shops selling the damned things to anyone).

A tattooist with real professional experience and knowledge can make hand tattoos just as beautiful as machine you berk!

its just that they are rare to find.

check out horyoshi 3 and horiwaka's work from japan...the shadings and colors are at least as good as most machine made tattoos, if not longer lasting too.

sheeet does it get my back up how so many clueless people have so much to say about tattoos when most of them know absolutely nothing of what they are talking about!

y0158.jpg

the pic above is hand made tattoo you silly person id like to see if your bot=yfriend makes as good with his machine

(maybe he does as it is dependant of the tattoist more than if he uses a machine or a hand instrument...which is exactly the point i wish to make..there is no difference in quality between the 2 methods..it is more dependant on the ability of the artist

Img80602_P2060102.JPG

this is also by horyoshi and HAND MADE with one of thos "Bamboo" sticks

Edited by spencerdharmagrafix

As for if a girl can get a tattoo if it is from a monk (the tatoos by monks are called sak yant), of course they can many thai women get them...it is problematic but with the aid of a helper the monk can make the tattoo without actually touching the woman directly.

do a search for sak yant on google and youll find more info on nthis subject from specialized websites dealing with this topic instead of stumbling blindly on a general forum such as this.

Wow My Mum in Law (Now in her late eighties), has a small Tattoo on the top of her right arm.

Never realised she was a rebel. :D:D:D

Just explained to my wife and when she stops laughing will post her thoughts on her rebel Mum :o

Regards

:D

• 2 years later...
Hi everyone,

HI Bella, This information is prob years too late but anyways.. I was in beautiful Thailand with a good buddy about four years ago, it was a totally unplanned holiday, arriving in bangkok with not so much as a change of clothes between us. Co san road was the area we stayed (thats deff spelt wrong,watch the movie the beach) and while there happened to bump into a tuktuk driver who called himself "john marley" likeable character long dreadlocks,always laughing. After three days on the lash with John and two of his friends a kind of friendship formed. I presume uve been to Thailand before so you might be able to comprehind how the thai can speak to u with facial expressions,nods and gestures and very very few words of English. Next day we were in a taxi heading to a Temple about 60 miles outside the city. Like most fellas from ireland my knowledge of Temples would be fairly limited to say the least but all in all this one was impressive enough..To set foot inside we had to strip to the wast and remove our shoes they were strict on this, maybe its different for females. Inside a monk sat on a slightly raised area and a small group of people kind of congragated in front of him. On the walls of the temple hung charts with 100 s of different symbols, now i might mention that id chosen one and was trying to explain i wanted it on my left shoulder. It doesnt work that way... The Monk decided what tatoo was given to who, it suited the person and from what i understood each one represented different stages in life.Stripping to the wast gave him a better insight on the persons character. I was beckoned to kneel in front of the monk and with a black marker he drew a symbol on the inside of my right forearm and then pointed to the back of my neck. This was what i was getting and where, i tried to argue my case about the previous one id chosen but no. On his right side he had a small basket with 10 to 15 hollow bamboo sticks, each one sharpened at one end to about a 60 degree angle. he also had a stainless steel bar which the bamboo would fit snuggly on the end of. He chose a stick and i was beckoned to sit legs crossed in front of him, During all this the monk didnt speak to me once, iam not sure if he spoke at all,it was the other people who were doing the organizing. Anyways he began gently stabbing the back of my neck with the bamboo, iam pretty sure the ink is held in his mouth and is blown onto the area as required. After a min or two and just as i thought the pain was getting unbareable it was finished. Id better mention i got a machine tatoo about a year previously and it tickled compared to this.I was then taken to an area with a mirror and showed a boxing stance.The taxi driver explained it was a protection tatoo. I made a donation to the temple, they wouldnt accept more then 200 batt. I returned home soon after and began Thai boxing,love it.And promised myself not to indulge in yabba ever again. I swear every word is true.. Good luck Bella hope it works out paul

Well, I've read all the posts in this thread. Most being drivel. SOOOO many experts on tattoos. The only well informed posts seem to be from proressional tattoo artists. (excellent photos, dude!) And as for this stuff about only the low born (e.g. bar girls), get tattoos, I presume these these experts have strip searched "middle" and "high" class Thai girls to confirm this? Yeah right!

Me? I'm covered in them. But that's another story! :)