Any One Out There Making There Own Bait ?....

SlackJawChef

Re-post from my trying to get us our own sub-forum, but I thought it was worth its own thread

Poor mans power bait

I tried it once, used tapioca starch as the base, I got the idea from bubble tea. I blended some fresh corn, fish sauce, dried shrimp and wheat germ, then mixed in the tapioca starch rolled it out into a pencil thick snake, then cut it into 7mm pieces .... drop'd them in boiling water for 8 min's then pull e'm out and drop them in ice water for 1 min... kept them in a jar of water when I went fishing....

Worked really well, for trout , but that was back in Canada.

I never had a chance to try it again.. maybe someone out there can try and perfect the recipe.

I just threw in everything I could think of, to cover all base's... wheat germ for bread eaters, corn for the "horny endosperm' (I'm not making that up.. honestly)

Dried shrimp for mouth feel and stink... and fish sauce for the sent trail, and salt.. I figure that fresh water fish must find it hard to get enough salt in there diet's... so it might get them to bite.....

I read somewhere that including something to mimic the shell of a bug also helps with the mouth feel of the bait.... but like I said I have not got the time right now to work on it ...

James

I like to take about a 1/4 cup of dried shrimp set it in 1/4 cup of water for a it then blend it so you get a soup. Next take some of that red liquid you can make sweet drinks with and add about half a shot glass of it to the soup. Start adding bread crumbs (the dry kind you can get in the store for breading chicken) mix while you add. keep adding until you handle it in a ball shape without it sticking to your hand. The drier the better, as long as it still holds together. You can keep it in the fridge for days in a plastic container or just use it right away. When you use it just make little balls of it and stick it to you hook. Works well for me on Tilapia and catfish. But probably works on other things as well. It works best if you let it get a bit dry.