Pad Leader Sondhi Limthongkul Shot

LawnGnome

Reminds me on the Article from Shawn W. Crispin in the Asia Times

Thaksin's recent rally cries for a national uprising against aristocracy and the need for "true democracy" have echoed Jakrapob's long-held views that certain royal bodies should have a diminished future role in the country's democracy.

Nor is it clear that the UDD's provocative calls and tilt towards brinksmanship will enhance or undermine Thaksin's future negotiating position vis-a-vis his now publicly identified establishment adversaries. One UDD organizer, who requested anonymity, suggested that Thaksin's calls for a national uprising were no idle threat and that the protest group could in the weeks ahead stir more trouble at the provincial level.

He claimed that Thaksin operatives had for the past two years clandestinely funneled small arms through Cambodia to his supporters in various northeastern provinces, where Thaksin's grassroots support runs deep. The well-placed source also said the arms had been moved and distributed with the help of former Communist Party of Thailand (CPT) contacts, an ideologically driven insurgent group active in the 1960s and 1970s that frequently criticized the royal family during its years of armed resistance.

The group was disbanded in the 1980s, but some of its former student leaders were among Thaksin's top aides while he was in government. There are no indications Thaksin would support an armed insurgency to push his supposedly democratic agenda, but his vow to return to the country if the military cracked down on his supporters has raised new security questions. Abhisit vaguely acknowledged at the height of the recent unrest that the UDD had stockpiled weapons, but he failed to elaborate if that was only in Bangkok or more broadly across the country.

Source:

Sondhi's shooting beginning of phase B ?

Edited by Samuian

• Replies 721
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i wonder who would want to kill Sondhi, that person must of have a real grudge on Sondhi
B. Post "The motive for the attack is still under investigation,...''

LOL. good one, so dry.

As big a grudge as Sondhi had against Thaksin,

for trying to put him out of business as a competitor?

Since Sondhi turned the tables and put Thaksin out of business as a politician,

it seems pretty clear where these 'hitmen' got their motivation....

One thing is clear history is always written by the WINNERS.

Well, I guess every soldier/weapon expert can confirm you will be certainly dead after receiving a 100 round shower from an AK-47...

Could that incident have been stage-managed? Not uncommon here in Thailand. I remember some cases with the dear leader involved years ago...

Very plausible.

The fact that 100 rounds from automatic weapons(at close range)and failed to kill anyone.

Suspicious.

Actually, my guess is that the PRESS called them "Automatic Assault Rifles" (as they call any rifle), but its much more plausible that the guys here could get a hand only on the single action version of those rifles.

Meaning, they needed to push the trigger 100 times to shoot 100 bullets.

In that case, its a little more difficult than just point and shoot (spray).

I'd also say, its *really* strange they didnt kill anyone. Hit all 4 tires and cant hit a head? ... or a body? The m16 WILL penetrate for sure any car unless its bulletproof against rifles. Also the distance, must have not been that far ... how large is a road here? ...

imho it is staged, or he's dead already. If not ... well, pretty lucky. might as well play with grenades, with such luck he'll come out unscathed.

Staged????

He shot himself a bullet in the head to discredit Thaksin??? :o:D

The ex Taiwan President stahed his own assassination and that of his vice president to get sympathy votes too

A most unfortuante event. There will be no peace by the gun.

Staged????

You assume its just red and yellow. There is more flavors in this tragedy. PAD been criticising part of the army too. Some generals that where on the frontlines when the last demonstrations where held have been invisible this time. Then you have Newin, where his loyalty lies I dont think even he knows.

There is so many plots and counterplots here that even the Russians will be impressed...

This wouldn't be happening if the yellows were arrested for their criminal act at the airport last year, and the courts allowed to sort out the issue of vote-buying. By allowing one side to act criminally you are condoning the other side to do the same. This should have be stopped in December and I fear that there is now no turning back.

I don't support or condone the Reds, but instead of what they have done, perhaps they should have blockaded the airport until the government resigned. Except somehow I think the army would have acted this time. What does that tell you? Thailand has a politically biased army IMHO!

sadly you reap what you sow in this country more than most other countries, am I the only one that is surprised it has taken so long for this to happen? I feel if the legal process was moving quicker in regards to this fool then this would not have happened.

So who did it? reds, yellows, blues, army, police, dems? all of these are possible when you spend the past 3 years collecting enemies

Agreed, but I don't think it will matter "who" did it, and retaliation will happen where ever the yellows want to see a threat.

sadly you reap what you sow in this country more than most other countries, am I the only one that is surprised it has taken so long for this to happen? I feel if the legal process was moving quicker in regards to this fool then this would not have happened.

So who did it? reds, yellows, blues, army, police, dems? all of these are possible when you spend the past 3 years collecting enemies

Agreed, but I don't think it will matter "who" did it, and retaliation will happen where ever the yellows want to see a threat.

Yes I agree.

But wait a minute, surely there will be no retribution as the PAD are peaceful and have no weapons :o (not aimed at you humfurry)

This is terrible news though I imagine few here are surprised matters have now escalated even further. I am worried about bombings as the next means of attack. Obviously both sides of the dispute feel they can commandeer whatever area of Bangkok they see fit until they get their way. How long before they start blowing things up to make them seem like the real big shot? These are dangerous times.

Yes I agree.

But wait a minute, surely there will be no retribution as the PAD are peaceful and have no weapons :o (not aimed at you humfurry)

"Not aimed at you" I'll wear a jacket so you can't see the yellow streak down my back...lol

Gotta go check what planes i can get to get the hel_l off this country

Why? Do you expect to be shot next?

Simon

If the current situation deteriorates to civil war (ie, sondhi dies), there u have a good reason to get off before the boat sinks. imho.

I don't care too much for Sondhi and what he stands for but I do wish he & his driver a speedy recovery.

The country needs a non-Red or non-Yellow aligned group to stand up and unite the masses. The person that it best placed to do this is K. Abhisit if he can only leave whatever PAD loyalties he has to one side. Or maybe that's not possible due to deals done to get him the gig.

Well, I guess every soldier/weapon expert can confirm you will be certainly dead after receiving a 100 round shower from an AK-47...

Could that incident have been stage-managed? Not uncommon here in Thailand. I remember some cases with the dear leader involved years ago...

Very plausible.

The fact that 100 rounds from automatic weapons(at close range)and failed to kill anyone.

Suspicious.

Actually, my guess is that the PRESS called them "Automatic Assault Rifles" (as they call any rifle), but its much more plausible that the guys here could get a hand only on the single action version of those rifles.

Meaning, they needed to push the trigger 100 times to shoot 100 bullets.

In that case, its a little more difficult than just point and shoot (spray).

I'd also say, its *really* strange they didnt kill anyone. Hit all 4 tires and cant hit a head? ... or a body? The m16 WILL penetrate for sure any car unless its bulletproof against rifles. Also the distance, must have not been that far ... how large is a road here? ...

imho it is staged, or he's dead already. If not ... well, pretty lucky. might as well play with grenades, with such luck he'll come out unscathed.

They are not " ALL " called assault rifles, the AK47 is named as an assault rifle. As for them getting only single shot rifles ( which I doubt to be true ) it's very simply to modify a single shot rifle into an Automatic with the use of something like a matchstick or bit of wood, it's just a matter of preventing the BENT from engaging the SEAR as the working parts are returned to the rear by the gasses.

A most unfortuante event. There will be no peace by the gun.
Staged????

You assume its just red and yellow. There is more flavors in this tragedy. PAD been criticising part of the army too. Some generals that where on the frontlines when the last demonstrations where held have been invisible this time. Then you have Newin, where his loyalty lies I dont think even he knows.

There is so many plots and counterplots here that even the Russians will be impressed...

True, PAD has been criticizing part of the army but the criticism is not so harsh that the army commanders would find any need to kill Sondhi. Also, Nevin now shares the same enemy (Thaksin) as Sondhi. Nevin himself is on Thaksin's hit list for revenge. It does not make sense for Nevin to be involved in the assassination attempt on Sondhi.

Anybody who thinks this is a trick to discredit the reds should probably have their own heads checked for bullets.

Thankfully it's Chamlong, not Chalerm, on the side of the yellows - I'm guessing he'll be voicing a non-violent reaction.

Thaksin's "democracy" in action.

Now that he's of no further use, the power behind Abhisit may want to tidy up things. I wouldn't automatically assume Thaksin is behind this.

You must be talking about Senior Tacksin, from Central America. :o

When you think about it, it would not be the first time that someone is "shooting his own" to justify later acts against other side. If this is the case here it seems to be working wery well.

Various lawyers, civil rights types and litigants against Shin/TRT and in the south were gunned down or kidnapped and since missing during TRT years - most/none never solved.

I highly doubt this crazy theory of shooting their own; of late Sondhi has been relatively quiet; no doubt he is clinically insane, but he is only one of several prominent PAD and seems to be moderately 'controllable' - given the violence and thuggery of the red shirts as well as TRT's history of media intimidation/NGO villainisation (if this is a word) and much worse, it seems more likely to need to look in that direction.

He might be a terrorist, but no one deserves this - hope he gets better soon....and hope the driver can make a full recovery.

Two words:

Shipping Moo.

the red shirts AND the yellow shirts are destroying our country.

Justice for all, means punishment for all...

ALL the red/yellow criminals need to be arrested and jailed for their crimes against Thailand.

Only then will our PM gain the respect of the silent majority of good Thai citizens.

seems it goes the other way.....that won't please PAD and won't please the silent majority....

hmmm...maybe amnesty for all criminals is the path of least resistance.

however, without consequences for criminal acts what stops the violence?

Exactly.

I just saw footage of Sondhi walking around after the shooting, obviously blood everywhere but it could be a cut from the glass.

If anyone was shot in the head, they would not be walking around.

I find it fishy, i really do.

i wonder who would want to kill Sondhi, that person must of have a real grudge on Sondhi
B. Post "The motive for the attack is still under investigation,...''

LOL. good one, so dry.

As big a grudge as Sondhi had against Thaksin,

for trying to put him out of business as a competitor?

Since Sondhi turned the tables and put Thaksin out of business as a politician,

it seems pretty clear where these 'hitmen' got their motivation....

One thing is clear history is always written by the WINNERS.

Just got back from Rayong a few minutes ago and seen the news about Khun Sondhi.

Sounds like Thaksin won't stop until the whole country falls apart, if he has his way. This must be what the Red guys meant, when they were talking about changing tactics in the future???? :o

Anyways, We left Chiang Mai the day the Red Protesters closed ThaPae Road. We left before they did and never seen a single red protest all the way to Rayong. (None on the way back either). We never got stopped by any road blocks either. All the road blocks where unmanned and there were only a few. Nothing out of the ordinary.

Rayong beach was fairly busy, with people playing Songkran and swimming. No Red Shirts, No Yellow Shirts, No Brown Shirts ;-) Just a lot of fun on the beach :-)

Hope Khun Sondhi and all the people in the car, will be well soon and hope all this fighting, (whereever it may be), will stop soon.

They are not " ALL " called assault rifles, the AK47 is named as an assault rifle. As for them getting only single shot rifles ( which I doubt to be true ) it's very simply to modify a single shot rifle into an Automatic with the use of something like a matchstick or bit of wood, it's just a matter of preventing the BENT from engaging the SEAR as the working parts are returned to the rear by the gasses.

Take a look at this, maybe u'll change your idea.

As for turnin a single action rifle into a fully automatic rifle with a matchstick ... :o That made my day.

I just saw footage of Sondhi walking around after the shooting, obviously blood everywhere but it could be a cut from the glass.

Wasn't that his driver?

[ to my recollection the yellows didn't shoot anyone, or set any fires, or vandalize any public or private property. Get real.

clip showing PAD guards firing guns at unarmed anti-padders

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QbnFPhExOTw

I stand somewhat corrected, but I think my main point still stands. The yellows did not cause nearly the level of violent confrontation the the reds did. Nor were any of the yellow leaders calling for violent "revolution" as was the red leader and hero Thaksin. The reds set fire to buses, confronted and threatened residents of the areas in which they were blocking roads, killed two people who were simply trying to protect the market in which they worked, viciously attacked the PMs car, seriously injuring the driver, to mention only a few incidents, and now have apparently tried to assassinate one of their opponents, Sondhi. This is on a completely different scale from whatever acts the yellows commited, in my opinion.

The ex Taiwan President stahed his own assassination and that of his vice president to get sympathy votes too

Well, but there is a reason to believe that Ex-Taiwan President staged a fake assassination since the wound he received was very mild. He was discharged from hospital the next day.

But Sondhi gets bullet in the head. He must be crazy to make a deadly setup on his own life. And look at his car. Bullet holes are all over. His drivers are also seriously wounded.

Anybody who thinks this is a trick to discredit the reds should probably have their own heads checked for bullets.

Thankfully it's Chamlong, not Chalerm, on the side of the yellows - I'm guessing he'll be voicing a non-violent reaction.

Thaksin's "democracy" in action.

Regardless of who is responsible for this act the fact remains that the yellow shirts are the ones who created the opportunity for this sort of action to happen.

It was the yellow shirts who refused to accept the democratically elected government and flouted the rule of law in their airport and parliament blockade.

And subsequently managed to depose the elected government.

Instead of organising themselves as a political party in attempt to win power thru the ballot box they seized political power illegitimately thus giving the red shirts plenty of traction with their current actions.

Unfortunately for Thailand it is the average person who is going to suffer and it seems even more disturbing that this whole situtation is heading into more troubled waters with an extended period of internal political instability marked by increasing outbursts of violence.

The portents dont look good at all.

of course you can walk around the bullet was not even in the brain....

ATTEMPTED ASSASSINATION

Sondhi in safe condition now: doctor

The gangland-style shooting is expected to prolong the state of emergency in Bangkok and suburbs, government leader said.

There had been serious concerns for Sondhi's life as a bullet lodged in his skull, causing bleeding inside his brain. Vajira Hospital doctors conducted an urgent operation on Sondhi which completed before noon.

Sondhi is now safe and even able to speak, medical sources said.

Sondhi, a core leader of yellow shirts, known also as People's Alliance for Democracy (PAD), who seized Bankok airports late last year, has no wounds on his body.

His driver, Vayupak Mussi, was also seriously wounded from the attack. Doctors said later that he survived and was now in stable condition.

PAD's spokesman Parnthep Pualpongpan said at least two attackers riding on a pickup blocked Sondhi's vehicle who was on Samsen Road, heading to Manager newspaper office in Banglampoo area early Friday morning.

The attackers then shot four tyres of Sondhi's vehicle before stepping out of their car and sprayed more bullets on the car. The attack lasted about five minutes and the attackers went back to their pickup which sped away along Tevet Road.

Police who rushed to the scene found Sondhi's car riddled with bullets and they could collect more than 100 cartridges of AK-16 and rifles from the scene.

Parnthep said Sondhi was informed of reports that he could possible a target of attack, but he simply ignored the warnings.

Meanwhile Chamnong Paokorn, 53, a bus driver, said that he was driving his bus past Iamworanut Temple when he saw a blue pickup truck which had no license plate blocked Sondhi's vehicle.

Then two men on the back of the pickup then opened fires on the vehicle. Then another vehicle sped to the scene and exchanged fires with the attackers who later escaped the scene.

The incident will surely renew political tension which seemed to subside over the past two days after the red-shirted protesters decided to end their Bangkok rally after three days of turmoil in Pattaya and the capital.

Sondhi is the leader of the anti-Thaksin movement, but those close to him said he had too many enemies to pinpoint who could have masterminded the assassination attempt. He has heavily criticized the police and the military over their handling of the pro-Thaksin red-shirted protests and called for removal of police and military leaders.

- THE NATION -

the red shirts AND the yellow shirts are destroying our country. Justice for all, means punishment for all...ALL the red/yellow criminals need to be arrested and jailed for their crimes against Thailand.

Only then will our PM gain the respect of the silent majority of good Thai citizens.

Starting from the "top" down, should be interesting then..........but i agree