Pad Leader Sondhi Limthongkul Shot

LawnGnome

Thank Goodness he's still alive. I fear what public reaction would have been if it turned out differently. Thank you red shirts, for your continuing efforts to destroy our country...

It's hard to imagine there is going to be a huge outpouring of sympathy from the Thai people over Sonthi, but the fact is his misdeeds happened what seem like a lifetime ago to most people in the current political climate. So while there won't necessarily be mourning for Sonthi himself, there will be a desire to "get back at those red bastards" from the average person. This attack will not be considered justified. The miscreants who perpetrated this just did a very dangerous disservice to the Thai people.

This marks a very unwanted escalation in the fighting. While Thaksin was clearly not the man directly behind the trigger, he bears at the very least moral responsibility for allowing this to happen. If the man has any conscience at all, he will talk to his supporters and vehemently denounce this attack, and request they refrain from any more such atrocities.

After all, if they start going after the masterminds, his own life could be seriously at risk. Denouncing this act would be in his own self interest. Let's see if there is a response from him.

I wouldn't try to estimate "average Joe's" reaction to this. Loss of face and retribution far in extremis is a very strong part of Thai society and culture.

• Replies 721
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This marks a very unwanted escalation in the fighting. While Thaksin was clearly not the man directly behind the trigger, he bears at the very least moral responsibility for allowing this to happen. If the man has any conscience at all, he will talk to his supporters and vehemently denounce this attack, and request they refrain from any more such atrocities.

After all, if they start going after the masterminds, his own life could be seriously at risk. Denouncing this act would be in his own self interest. Let's see if there is a response from him.

Or indeed from any of the leaders of the Red-Shirts.

If they truly believe in democracy, and are willing to accept other peoples' having differing views, then they will condemn this attack, and disassociate themselves/their-movement from it.

The big puppeteer put a new block in the construction of a plot to completely destabilize Thailand.

I only hope now yellow t-shirt don't overreact but direct the protest in a civil and democratic manner.

For Oldexplorer: go spend your pound in your hot beer in Zimbabwe, for sure they can change your pound for many millions. :o . What an underdeveloped brain guy.

TOC News: http://www.thailandoutlook.tv/

An unknown number of assailants fired more than 100 shots at media mogul Sondhi Limthongkul's car this morning.

The incident took place at 5.45am on Samsen Road, about a kilometer away from the entrance of the Bank of Thailand and in front of the Iamworanuj Temple and Caltex petrol station, as Sondhi was traveling to the ASTV office on Phra Arthit Road for his daily morning talkshow called 'Good Morning Thailand.'

Sondhi has been slightly injured and was sent to the Wachira Hospital while the driver, Adul Daengpradab, has been seriously injured and is being treated at the Mission Hospital. Sondhi's bodyguard 40-year-old Vayupak Madsin has been slightly injured and is being treated at Mission Hospital. All are said to be in a safe condition right now.

Wachira Hospital Director Doctor Chaichana Charoenchoktawee revealed shrapnel from a bullet hit Sondhi in forehead on the right side but he remains conscious and is lucid. He has gone in for surgery to remove the shrapnel and stem bleeding in the brain since 8am and the surgery should take around 3 hours.

Sondhi was traveling in a black Toyota Alphard license plat WL 89. Bullets shattered the windshield and all windows and all four tires were shot.

57 AKA and M-16 shells were found all around the vehicle.

Stray bullets also hit the number 53 non air-conditioned bus.

The assailants were said to have been driving a pick-up bronze colored Toyota Vigo. The gunman was said to have shot at the tires first before shooting at the car. The truck then speeded up on Samsen Road, heading to the Thewet intersection, in its escape.

Spokesman of the People's Alliance for Democracy Panthep Puapongpan confirmed Sondhi's safety and said his location cannot be disclosed at this time.

He condemned those behind the attack and said it's a mistaken belief that killing Sondhi would end the PAD movement as Sondhi has set up a network, comprising of ASTV and PAD chapters nationwide. He asked PAD supporters nationwide not to worry about Sondhi's condition and said this attack is proof that the ASTV and PAD network is really working.

He called on the police to speed up their investigation into the case and bring those involved to justice.

Bangkok Post

http://www.bangkokpost.com/news/local/1408...hi-shot-wounded

Mr Sondhi sustained injuries to his head as a piece of metal penetrated through his right skull, causing bleeding in his brain, according to director of Vajira Hospital Dr Wanchai Charoenchokethawee.

"Doctors are performing operation, which is expected to be completed around noon," Dr Wanchai said, adding that there are no injuries to his body.

Seems like this may be more serious than first reported.

Police who rushed to the attack scene in front of Iamworanut Temple found Sondhi's car riddled with bullets. Police reportedly collected about 100 cartridges of AK-16 and rifles.

- THE NATION -

AK-47 or M-16? Not that it makes much difference a bullet is a bullet especially if it has your name on it. Although it might point towards a source of the firearm.

Quite a big difference between the calibre and the velocity of the weapons.. 7.62 and 5.56.. The M16 fires a much smaller projectile and I'm guessing would still penetrate a car very effectively .. The AK provides a heavier/larger projectile with more punch from it's bigger cartridge. Wouldn't want to be on the receiving end of either..

April 17, 2009

Article from: Agence France-Presse

THE founder of the Thai political movement that helped topple former premier Thaksin Shinawatra today survived an assassination attempt that police said left him and two others wounded.

Sondhi Limthongkul

People's Alliance for Democracy founder Sondhi Limthongkul. Picture: AP

Gunmen fired about 100 rounds on the car of Sondhi Limthongkul, whose People's Alliance for Democracy (PAD) is locked in a bitter struggle with pro-Thaksin rivals that has pushed the kingdom to the brink of chaos.

The ambush took place in the early hours as Sondhi was on his way to record a program for his private television station, and left him with a shoulder wound but out of danger, a local police commander told AFP.

The incident came amid heightened tensions in Thailand following violent protests by Thaksin's supporters, known as Red Shirts, which left two people dead and 123 injured in Bangkok earlier this week.

“At least two attackers followed Sondhi's car, overtook it and sprayed it with about 100 rounds of gunfire from AK-47 and M-16s,” said the commander, Colonel King Kwaengwisatchaicharn.

“The motive for the attack is still under investigation,” he said.

Sondhi's driver was in a serious condition, while an aide suffered minor injuries.

Thailand has been beset by nearly three years of political turmoil, with mass protests wreaking havoc with daily life and occasionally erupting into violence.

At the heart of the dispute has been Thaksin, a polarising populist adored by his mainly poor supporters and loathed by Sondhi's PAD and its backers among Bangkok's elite in the palace, military and bureaucracy.

The PAD held huge rallies in the streets in 2006 that opened the way for the military to remove Thaksin from power in a coup.

It was then mostly dormant until Thaksin's allies won the first post-coup elections. Since then it has helped drive two pro-Thaksin prime ministers from power with mass protests, including seizing Bangkok's airports last year.

Thaksin supporters say those ministers were unlawfully pushed out and have been campaigning for the current premier, Abhisit Vejjajiva, to step down and call new elections.

Their protests managed to shut down a summit of Asian leaders in the kingdom last weekend.

The government issued arrest warrants for the exiled Thaksin and 12 of his supporters for allegedly inciting the unrest. No PAD activists have ever faced justice for the November-December airport seizures.

Media mogul Sondhi was once friends with Thaksin and at one point declared him Thailand's “best prime minister ever” - but then began a campaign against his former ally in late 2005.

Thaksin said Sondhi wanted revenge after the media tycoon invested heavily in a new television station that was blocked by regulatory hurdles.

Sondhi has angered critics by calling for up to 70 per cent of the seats in parliament to be filled by appointment.

Thaksin and his supporters have won the last three elections in Thailand, largely because of their support base in the country's poor rural north and northeast.

Thaksin is currently living in Dubai to escape a jail term for corruption.

Sondhi of PAD survives shootings

By: BangkokPost.com

Published: 17/04/2009 at 07:51 AM

Car of Sondhi Limthongkul, a core leader of People's Alliance for Democracy (PAD), was attacked early Friday around Bangkhumprom intersection, near the ASTV station.

Mr Sondhi sustained minor injuries, but his driver was in critical condition, according to Manager website.

Full Bangkok Post article

Thank Goodness he's still alive. I fear what public reaction would have been if it turned out differently. Thank you red shirts, for your continuing efforts to destroy our country...

.... Whilst we are on the subject of destroying the country. here is some food for thought....

Thaksin is a businessman, he runs his life like a business, this is well documented..... and when in business if you want to take over a company, what do you do ?

answer:...... you run it into the ground, take it to the brink of destruction....there by getting it for the cheapest price.

could this be thaksin's thinking ??

Bangkok Post

Mr Sondhi sustained injuries to his head as a piece of metal penetrated through his right skull, causing bleeding in his brain, according to director of Vajira Hospital Dr Wanchai Charoenchokethawee.

"Doctors are performing operation, which is expected to be completed around noon," Dr Wanchai said, adding that there are no injuries to his body.

This reads a lot worse than was first reported. In the usual Thai way to me it says he was shot in the head.

Or just maybe they are spinning it out for as much as they can get.

Well, I guess every soldier/weapon expert can confirm you will be certainly dead after receiving a 100 round shower from an AK-47...

Could that incident have been stage-managed? Not uncommon here in Thailand. I remember some cases with the dear leader involved years ago...

Very plausible.

The fact that 100 rounds from automatic weapons(at close range)and failed to kill anyone.

Suspicious.

This reads a lot worse than was first reported. In the usual Thai way to me it says he was shot in the head.

I've seen a photo on one of Thai sites my wife is browsing. He has a bullet in his head, no doubt about it.

Police who rushed to the attack scene in front of Iamworanut Temple found Sondhi's car riddled with bullets. Police reportedly collected about 100 cartridges of AK-16 and rifles.

- THE NATION -

AK-47 or M-16? Not that it makes much difference a bullet is a bullet especially if it has your name on it. Although it might point towards a source of the firearm.

Quite a big difference between the calibre and the velocity of the weapons.. 7.62 and 5.56.. The M16 fires a much smaller projectile. The AK provides a heavier/larger projectile with more punch from it's bigger cartridge. Wouldn't want to be on the receiving end of either..

IMO Thaksin was behind this, he needs to keep stirring the pot. He is on the ropes, desperate and will swing wildly.

The .223 or 5.56 round is a small diameter bullet but it is designed to enter the body and "yaw" meaning do a 180 degree

turn in effect creating a huge temporal cavity expending all of the bullets energy.

as for penetration look here http://www.brassfetcher.com/223REM.html

My wife heard on the radio that Sondhi LImthongkul - the founder of the Manager Daily Newspaper, ASTV, and a core leader of the PAD - the People's Alliance for Democracy, was shot, along with his driver.

No postings yet in the english dailies, but they are reporting it on the Manager Online. - http://www.manager.co.th/Politics/ViewNews...D=9520000043048

Thank Buddha that he's not dead. That would just be a reasoon for a civil war. The red shirts against the yellow? And after all nobody would really know what they're doing? A strange world, let's hope they find the gun men soon....only peace can help this country. The smiles dissapear........

post-39518-1239938070_thumb.jpg

I heard from my army friend that the Reds would go underground, this will lead to the Yellows doing the same, so we will end up with an underground civil war in the heart of BKK akin the problems down south. My heart bleeds for the normal people of Thailand who want a normal harrasment free life. Its so different here than 10 years ago when I first came, its kind of depressing.

the red shirts AND the yellow shirts are destroying our country. Justice for all, means punishment for all...ALL the red/yellow criminals need to be arrested and jailed for their crimes against Thailand.

Only then will our PM gain the respect of the silent majority of good Thai citizens.

Bangkok Post

Wife told that ASTV told that it is not sure if he'll survive

the red shirts AND the yellow shirts are destroying our country. Justice for all, means punishment for all...ALL the red/yellow criminals need to be arrested and jailed for their crimes against Thailand.

Only then will our PM gain the respect of the silent majority of good Thai citizens.

Read here: http://www.bangkokpost.com/news/local/1513...open-to-amnesty

seems it goes the other way.....that won't please PAD and won't please the silent majority....

Sondhi is in serious condition : doctor

Sondhi Limthongkul is in serious condition after being shot as a bullet hit his left skull. The bullet is still in his skull, causing bleeding inside his brain, Vajira Hospital Director Dr Chaiwun Charoenchoktavee said Friday.

Doctors are conducting an urgent operation on Sondhi and the operation is expected to finish around noon.

Sondhi, a core leader of yellow shirts, known also as People's Alliance for Democracy (PAD), who seized Bankok airports late last year, has no wounds on his body.

His driver, Vayupak Mussi, was also seriously wounded from the attack. Doctors said later that he survived and was now in stable condition.

Meanwhile PAD's spokesman Parnthep Pualpongpan said at least two attackers riding on a pickup blocked Sondhi's vehicle who was on Samsen Road, heading to Manager newspaper office in Banglampoo area early Friday morning.

The attackers then shot four tyres of Sondhi's vehicle before stepping out of their car and sprayed more bullets on the car. The attack lasted about five minutes and the attackers went back to their pickup which sped away along Tevet Road.

Police who rushed to the scene found Sondhi's car riddled with bullets and they could collect more than cartridges of AK-16 and rifles from the scene.

Parnthep said Sondhi was informed of reports that he could possible a target of attack, but he simply ignored the warnings.

- THE NATION -

I heard from my army friend that the Reds would go underground, this will lead to the Yellows doing the same, so we will end up with an underground civil war in the heart of BKK akin the problems down south. My heart bleeds for the normal people of Thailand who want a normal harrasment free life. Its so different here than 10 years ago when I first came, its kind of depressing.

That's what somebody said in another thread yesterday

and brought up the possibility we could be looking at

both groups resorting to leaving bombs in public places-

-bit like we have seen over the years in Ireland :o

Well, I guess every soldier/weapon expert can confirm you will be certainly dead after receiving a 100 round shower from an AK-47...

Could that incident have been stage-managed? Not uncommon here in Thailand. I remember some cases with the dear leader involved years ago...

Very plausible.

The fact that 100 rounds from automatic weapons(at close range)and failed to kill anyone.

Suspicious.

Or could the intention had been to intimidate not kill? Yes its very unlikely that unless the car was bulletproofed anyone could have survived such an onslaught. Or Sondhi could have just been dam_n lucky.

Another strike in the coffin for Thailand.

Very plausible.

Suspicious.

They must have stolen the army's blank rounds that they used in the Red Shirt protests by accident! :o