How Are Americans Looked Upon As Tourists?

glitter1021

We are planning a trip to LOS in the spring of 2006. I have been reading this site since the tsunami and have found it a great source of information!

I have traveled to Europe (granted, many* years ago) and Americans were not look upon in a favorable light. There was many times that I ran into natives of the country I was in that were very rude to me simply because I was an American.

I consider myself a very, very polite person and find myself hurt and offended when I am treated badly just because of where I am from.

Just curious as to what the attitudes might be like when we visit. Oh, we are planning to go to Khao Lak area.

One other question, is language an issue? When I went to Germany, I did know enough German to get by (couldn't do it now... lol) but from what I have seen Thai is NOT an easy language to learn! Do most of the retail staff, etc in the tourist areas speak English?

Thank you for your help!

Cindy

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

politeness and a quiet non-confrontational manner to settle any differences is the way to go.

just the opposite of the usa and europe.

language should be no problem , any misunderstandings should be resolved non-confrontationally.

enjoy your trip.

I've run hotels, and backpackers hostels in a few different countries and when it comes to the younger generation of travellers I think as a group I preferred the Americans to just about any others.

Granted, some older yanks have left bad impressions over the years, but I think the newer generation of travellers is well aware of it and probably try a bit harder to not be like that.

cv

Edited by cdnvic

Well, we are middle aged. I am 46 and hubby is 52. Certainly not confrontational type of people! Yikes, no way!

We live in Minnesota and well, they don't call our (Minnesotans) attitude towards life and people "Minnesota Nice" for nothing!

Been reading alot here... is Khao Lak the "right" area for a middle aged couple? I believe I read on another site that that area is geared towards families and older couples. Not the wilder and "sexier" side of things that some of the young people would be looking for. Is that correct?

I appreciate the information already posted. And I am sure as our trip comes closer I will have more questions.

<smile>

Cindy

i was travelling around EU for most of last year, and generally people were rating americans are the worst tourists.

one american i spoke to told me stories of other americans he had met, that would put Canadian flags on there packs, because they believed they would be treated better.....

as for american's in LOS, i wouldn't worry about it.

as long as you respect the locals, you wont have any problem (regardness of were your from)

Been reading alot here... is Khao Lak the "right" area for a middle aged couple?  I believe I read on another site that that area is geared towards families and older couples.  Not the wilder and "sexier" side of things that some of the young people would be looking for.  Is that correct?

With all due respect, Khao Lak has been flattened... you might want to reconsider your choice of location.

I believe Americans are looked upon as uninformed, ignorant bullies with holier-than-thou attitudes by most people outside America. Not the best way to be thought of but from my experiences, not totally inaccurate either. It's a shame really.

By the way, I am an American myself.

We are planning a trip to LOS in the spring of 2006.  I have been reading this site since the tsunami and have found it a great source of information!

I have traveled to Europe (granted, many* years ago) and Americans were not look upon in a favorable light.  There was many times that I ran into natives of the country I was in that were very rude to me simply because I was an American.

I consider myself a very, very polite person and find myself hurt and offended when I am treated badly just because of where I am from.

Just curious as to what the attitudes might be like when we visit.  Oh, we are planning to go to Khao Lak area. 

One other question, is language an issue?  When I went to Germany, I did know enough German to get by (couldn't do it now... lol) but from what I have seen Thai is NOT an easy language to learn!  Do most of the retail staff, etc in the tourist areas speak English?

Thank you for your help!

Cindy

I think mostly you deal with resentment to americans because of the fall-out of decades of american foreign politics. Also the "The bigger, the better" american attitude may strike some hairs up the wrong way in different cultures. I'm a european myself and sometimes hearing american proud comments , combined with their general lack of knowledge in basic things (geography for example which we get spoon fed in europe ) it makes for some really arrogant people.

As most americans experience different cultures this get's a lot better :D , and i find them nice people to deal with. Of course in every country and culture you have **holes and idiots.

Just don't think by coming to a foreign country, patting baby's on the heads and giving cigarettes to the "natives" , blearing out you're an american, you will be welcomed with open arms :o .

For thailand if you just treat people with respect even if they don't have three fridges and 4 tv's in the house it will be ok :D. The thais will do it with you as well.

The language barrier is non existant if you stick to tourist areas. most people know enough english to sell you something :D

For khao lak it would hold out for the moment because as said, it's been wiped out by the tsunami. maybe it will be better in 2006 but that's still a long way away.

You'll find a lot of info on all subjects thai on the forum here. if not , just ask :D

Greetings :D

It would be better if you arrive in Phuket, and then slowly make your way up to Khao Lak.

As I know there is not much places you can stay to 'have a good time' up in Khao Lak. You might want to find out what is the situation first before planning your stay there.

Phuket's hotels are 90% operable. Beaches are cleaned up and it is only 1.5-2.5 hours' drive away from Phuket.

I would also suggest a day trip if you have to go up.

Once you are there, you may want to make your way north into the national parks, like Khao Sok. It's nice up there with tree houses.

Enjoy your holiday :o

Just tell hubby not to wear loud check kaks or bad taste shirts and speak quietly. :D

Worst travellers "seem" to be Israelis....... see the thread in Looney Planet, boy, do they get some stick! :o The thread goes on for about 10 pages.

Americans are ok in Los, you will enjoy Thailand. :D

PS: buy a copy of "Thailand, Culture Shock" worth using as a bible when in Thailand, and a copy of Lonely Planet's "Thailand"..... both are worth every cent.

Edited by udon

I have traveled to Europe (granted, many* years ago) and Americans were not look upon in a favorable light.  There was many times that I ran into natives of the country I was in that were very rude to me simply because I was an American.

Cindy, I'm a fellow american and I've never had any trouble in Thailand-or any where else in the world. I try to fit in and "get along" with the locals. As other posters have already said, politeness goes a LONG way in Thailand...

Enjoy your trip!

Lance

Let's face it ,you can always tell if there's an American around-you can generally hear them before you see them.

Aussies are infamously bad travellers too. Goodaye mates :o

But to be honest: most Thais' equate all of Western descent as being 'Farang' without distinction. So as long as your spending-then it don't matter where your from.

You have no worries in Thailand. As for elsewhere in the world most educated people separate politics from the average person.

Avoid Kao Lak - not much there any longer I'm afraid. :o

Language- should be ok if you stick to main touristy bits.

Personally I think germans are the absolute worst tourists about if we are rating contempt and rudeness!

They start wars, don't they?  :o

Well , as to tourist i'll back you up on the American and German subject . Germans ( not all , before somebody get's annoyed ) are the worst , with no respect to local people . Americans , i find them on travelling not to bad , not to good . About the qoute here above : is this about the Germans or the Americans ??? Because i see only 1 solution here and that's the American's . That is why they are "so loved" across the world .

As mentioned earlier, it the US Gov foreign policy that causes probs, not Americans on tour....

Unfortunately Yanks get a a bad press thru no fault of their own, unless the voted for GWB.

Nuff said, as we r getting off topic.

As mentioned earlier, it the US Gov foreign policy that causes probs, not Americans on tour....

Unfortunately Yanks get a a bad press thru no fault of their own, unless the voted for GWB.

It's important to separate Americans from their government.

Most American individuals I have met or known are fine people but US gov't policies can be pretty nasty.

The GWB voters generally don't travel abroad, life is perfect in Butt###### Falls so they stay home.

Just be peaceful, smile, use please and thank you and don't touch anyone's head.

You'll get ripped of the same as any other falang, they don't discriminate.

Seriously though, you'll be fine.

I have to say that most americans that I have met are very nice people.The only person I did not like was the typical "I am ex special forces and I used to kill people for a living...blah blah blah"

Everybody else that i have met have been great.

PS: buy a copy of ..... Lonely Planet's "Thailand".....

and promptly throw it in the bin (garbage).

travel manuals will just have you following the same well trodden trail as everybody else. you will have a far more interesting and rewarding trip if you leave your guides at home. read it before you come but dont bring it with you.

people carry these poisonous volumes around with them like some kind of security blanket , and become gibbering wrecks if separated from them.

people carry these poisonous volumes around with them like some kind of security blanket , and become gibbering wrecks if separated from them.

Someone steal your copy did they Boofhead?

These folks have never been to LoS, so any guide is better than none.

Your advice is crass. :o

It's important to separate Americans from their government.

Most American individuals I have met or known are fine people but US gov't policies can be pretty nasty.

The GWB voters generally don't travel abroad, life is perfect in Butt###### Falls so they stay home.

Just be peaceful, smile, use please and thank you and don't touch anyone's head.

You'll get ripped of the same as any other falang, they don't discriminate.

Seriously though, you'll be fine.

Interesting point,although how can you seperate a government from a people who elected them? Life ain't that simple.

Maybe this thread should be renamed -how are american tourist looked upon by other tourist? As its my opinion that it's the tourist who judge each other and not the locals.

Wherever you travel , respect the country,the people and the culture.

I hope you go have a great time and are smitten by the thai charm offensive,after which you'll find you'll never want to go anywhere else.

gohonzon

Taxexile

sorry, but off topic. I'm intrigued by your avitar. If that's the British group Frerdom,and you used to be in the band-I'd be interested to hear from you because my best mate at school was in them too-Ray Royer.

i thought i'd paid him all his royalties...... he doesnt want more does he ?

actually its the cover of a neil young album , freedom

udon

Someone steal your copy did they Boofhead?

These folks have never been to LoS, so any guide is better than none.

Your advice is crass. 

boofhead ???? i assume that is not a compliment. :o

i dont think my advice is crass at all. the purpose of travel is to interact with your hosts and find out about the country you are visiting. if you have a lonely planet guide then it is quite possible to spend months in a foriegn country and literally never have to speak to a local person , you exist in a bubble , it robs you of initiative , it destroys any element of adventure , and i'm not talking about climbing mount everest , i'm talking about the excitement and adventure of being in a new country or town and having to ask directions , ask about hotels , ask about food , ask about transport ,and ask about anything and the satisfaction of finding out for yourself and not just following in someone elses footsteps.

all that those detestable volumes succeed in doing is sending thousands of people to the same places which soon becomes ruined.

lonely planet and other similar books have robbed people of initiative and produced a generation of lazy tourists. they are certainly not travellers.

i honestly think that the couple who started this post would have a much more rewarding trip if the only information about thailand that they brought with them was information that they could write on the back of an envelope.

Edited by taxexile

If we are now talking about what we think of Americans in Thailand and abroad in general; may I make a couple of observations.

I used to be a guide for American antique dealers who wanted to buy in Britain and Europe, and I live and work with Americans here in LoS.

It seems to me that the problem that many Americans have when travelling is their lack of experience in encountering other cultures and languages. In Europe we can travel 30km and are in a different language, culture and set of laws, we even sometimes have to change the side of the road that we drive on. These are day-to-day occurrences to us and similarly experienced by people in Asia.

The lady who started this column was worried about language; well I have never even thought about that wherever I go in the world I know I can get by, especially on holiday. (OK – I haven’t been to China).

The people I took to Europe were professionals yet on many occasions they had problems closing a deal or ordering food or in their hotels because the expected everything to be conducted in the same way it is all over the States. I was nannying them from dawn ‘til well after dusk.

In Cambodia recently I met a group of Americans on a round Asia tour who were quite the opposite they enjoyed these differences even revelled in them so to say.

On the other hand I have a friend here in Pattaya from Las Vegas who refuses to go to Koh Chang because there is no Starbucks, yet he lives in Thailand 9 months of the year. Watching him order food is an entertainment in itself, he refuses to speak any Thai and uses expressions like “on the side” and “sunny side up”, which mean little to an Englishman like me let alone some young Thai waitress. He dines almost exclusively western on style food and insists that any food is served as first, second, third courses etc. in order. The result is endless problems when eating out. On one occasion when eating out with a group of us he saw a plate of giant BBQ’d prawns I’d ordered and decided that as there were 6 on the plate he’d order another plateful so every one on the table would have a prawn each; he called the waiter over, pointed at my plate asked, for one more and then saying “that’ll be a prawn for everyone” and pointed at each individual at the table, the inevitable result was the arrival of 6 plates of prawns each i.e. 36 giant prawns. He then tried to send them back…in thhe end he settled for a doggy-bag.

It’s worth noting that Pattaya was “founded” if that is the right word by the Americans but since the navy now doesn’t ship them out here in the numbers that they used to the town has been taken over by Europeans and has continued to grow but without them. The US presence here is remarkably low considering…

I think the key to travelling is flexibility and a little bit of lateral thinking. Americans don’t have exclusivity on the bad tourist thing but maybe a propensity for it.

But as was pointed out earlier the Thais will make them welcome whoever they are, and drink Cha Yen Manaao, (Iced lemon tea) it’s much more suited to the climate than Starbucks!

One problem I've seen, is that many foreignors get annoyed by the street peddlers. Sometimes they'll get in your path of travel to get your attention, I ussually just say No, thank you or sorry and change course. I completely ignore them if I stumble into a crowd of them.

Maybe someone has some suggestions on the best way to handle the situation. I'm sure they mostly bother fresh-looking tourists.

The peddlers have probably learned not to care about ppl's responses. But I would say you shouldn't use hand motions to shun them away, just look at them, shake your head and ignore them I guess.