Where To Find Breakfast Before Dawn In Chiangmai?

Oneman

Where to get a decent breakfast at 05:00 in Chiangmai?

Surely someone, somewhere, will be putting eggs and sausage on the grill before the sun comes up, but where?

English or American style, doesn't matter.

Price isn't an object either.

I did search this forum -- maybe a topic here already, but I couldn't find it.

Could find no hotel restaurants open any time before 06:30 - 07:00, when I must already be on my way.

The very thorough (but out-of-date) restaurant listing at http://www.thailandparadise.com/chiang-mai-restaurants.htm shows nothing open before 06:30 either.

Yes, Burger King is open 24 hours, but this post is asking about a real breakfast.

Also, I'll pass on Thai rice-porridge with a raw egg ("jhok").

Not just a "one-time" -- would be a repeat customer.

Thank you for any suggestions for early bird breakfast in Chiangmai.

- Oneman

oneman.

there is a place called SODAS Which is 200 yards to the left of spicys as you fall out of the door ( behind what used to be chiangers and bangers ) that advertises to be open 24 / 7 ..... if it is ive no idea , but you might try to look there for a 5 am breakfast

good luck ..... i dont do 5 ams of any day of the week thank god / buddah coz i dont need to

enjoy ... dave2

oneman.

there is a place called SODAS Which is 200 yards to the left of spicys as you fall out of the door ( behind what used to be chiangers and bangers ) that advertises to be open 24 / 7 ..... if it is ive no idea , but you might try to look there for a 5 am breakfast

good luck ..... i dont do 5 ams of any day of the week thank god / buddah coz i dont need to

enjoy ... dave2

I met the New Zealander the other day who owns Sodas. He says he is open 24 hours. I've never been there so I don't know if it's any good. It is where the Pizza Restaurant used to be.

I'm never up at 5:00 either!

Where to get a decent breakfast at 05:00 in Chiangmai?

I actually enjoy a McDonald's Big Mac every once in a while - maybe once every 3 months - but I usually quite like their breakfasts. Unfortunately, for some reason they have changed the menu in Thailand and it is not as good as in other countries. However, a "big breakfast" with scrambled eggs, breakfast sausage, hash browns, toast and coffee would taste pretty good at 5 AM.

I have to admit, I don't think much of the Burger King breakfast.

Edited by Ulysses G.

I met the New Zealander the other day who owns Sodas. He says he is open 24 hours. I've never been there so I don't know if it's any good.

Kiwi Reg and Soda owned the Fish & Chip shop opposite the UN Irish Pub for many years.

ThaiVisa is the wrong place to ask this question.

Members rarely rise out of bed before 11.00am.

Speak for yourself! Early morning is the best time of day IMHO, the air is cool and clean. But I eat breakfast at home so can't help the OP.

If I did go out and couldn't find a proper breakfast, I second UGs vote for McDonalds Big Breakfast, not bad for fast food. don

UG.

Quote .... I assumed that Soda of Fish and Chips owned Soda's and I still wonder if she is involved somehow.

Soda ...ex of the fish and chip shop is the owner of sodas behind changers and bangers and probably still plays VERY loud #rap music ( which is why i stopped going there years ago ) and electrified is im affraid WRONG !

Reg ( known as kiwi ) by everyone in the hash scene trys to help soda ( or so he thinks ) but they usually end up arguing so he #ucks off for a few days but then he goes back coz he NEEDS something to do , something to be involved with

i fill my days with things i like doing / enjoying NOT trying to supervise in a thai owned cafe

kiwi has sodas !

sad but true !

dave2

ThaiVisa is the wrong place to ask this question.

But knowing Chiang Mai very well, I doubt very much that you will find a restaurant in Chiang Mai that serves breakfast at 5.00am.

Surely this can't be right. Aren't many of us going to bed just around then? Which must be why there is a 24/7 place 200 yards from Spicy?

Oh c'mon, not everybody in CM is sleeping in on a retirement visa. :o Not that there's anything wrong with that!

I'm up early to make breakfast and study every morning. It's a heck of a lot cooler and easier to get around this city before 7 too!

haha....if price is no object maybe I will cook for you at 5 a.m. I'll even add grits, coffee that I roast myself and a remote control to enjoy your favorite news show....or...you can watch the grass around my garden in my front yard. hmmm...I'm making myself hungry!

there is a place called SODAS Which is 200 yards to the left of spicys as you fall out of the door that advertises to be open 24 / 7
I met the New Zealander the other day who owns Sodas. He says he is open 24 hours.

Thank you 'dave2' and 'elektrified' for those helpul (and on topic) replies -- and for clear directions from 'dave2'.

I'll certainly make a test-run to Sodas.

The U Hotel on walking street near Wat Pra Singh serves 24 hours!

Thank you, 'Sansai Sam' ... very helpful, as usual (and on-topic, as usual, too).

U Hotel web site says complimentary breakfast available for guests anytime, but the restaurant shows opening time of 06:00.

Will visit U Hotel to check on that -- looks like a very nice place.

-- Oneman

THE PRESIDENT HOTEL COFFEE SHOP HAS BREAKFAST MENU AND AT 5:00 A.M. IS WHEN THE KEREOKY GIRLS ARE DONE ALL 50 OR SO OF THEM ... SOMETIMES HAVE LEFT THERE AT 5:00AM BUT U CAN WALK INTO THE COFFEE SHOP AT 5:00AM TOO. I EAT THAI FOOD THERE BUT THEY DO HAVE A BREAKFAST MENU WITH PHOTOS IF IT IS TOO EARLY TO SEE STRAIGHT . NEXT LATE NITE I WILL WOLF TWO OR THREE BREAKFAST SELECTIONS DOWN WITH MY BEER AND REPORT BACK.. I ALMOST ORDERED BREAKFAST THE OTHER NIGHT(MORNING) BUT WENT THAI INSTEAD... THE SWEE THING IS YOU CAN GULP DOWN YOUR EGGEY WEGGIES WHILE GALKING AT LONG LEGGED, WHITE SKINNED BEAUTIES WHILE SMASHING BACK COFFEE.. A FINE HEALTHY WAY TO START THE DAY FOR MANY....

I

Edited by gatorhead333

THE PRESIDENT HOTEL COFFEE SHOP HAS BREAKFAST MENU AND AT 5:00 A.M. IS WHEN THE KEREOKY GIRLS ARE DONE ALL 50 OR SO OF THEM ... SOMETIMES HAVE LEFT THERE AT 5:00AM BUT U CAN WALK INTO THE COFFEE SHOP AT 5:00AM TOO. I EAT THAI FOOD THERE BUT THEY DO HAVE A BREAKFAST MENU WITH PHOTOS IF IT IS TOO EARLY TO SEE STRAIGHT . NEXT LATE NITE I WILL WOLF TWO OR THREE BREAKFAST SELECTIONS DOWN WITH MY BEER AND REPORT BACK.. I ALMOST ORDERED BREAKFAST THE OTHER NIGHT(MORNING) BUT WENT THAI INSTEAD... THE SWEE THING IS YOU CAN GULP DOWN YOUR EGGEY WEGGIES WHILE GALKING AT LONG LEGGED, WHITE SKINNED BEAUTIES WHILE SMASHING BACK COFFEE.. A FINE HEALTHY WAY TO START THE DAY FOR MANY....

Thank you, thank you, thank you..! I forgot all about the President hotel... Didn't also know it was open that late..

Did the girls learn to dance though, I mean something other than the Geriatric's Line Dance?

A second thanks for the Presidents Hotel suggestion. When I get up at 5AM it's usually before a trip somewhere and I just make myself a sandwitch out of my fridge. That holds me together until I actually need a prepared meal.

oneman.

enjoy ... dave2

I met the New Zealander the other day who owns Sodas. He says he is open 24 hours. I've never been there so I don't know if it's any good. It is where the Pizza Restaurant used to be.

I'm never up at 5:00 either!

Where the Pizza Restaurant used to be is "CORRECT" (close by Spicey)

The New Zealander DOES NOT OWN Soda's Restaurant however "he may have assisted by way of a small loan"

Kiwi or Kiwi Reg potters about at the restaurant (Soda's) and probably gets his breakfast and dinner as a 'quid pro quo' deal or arrangement.

Soda did previously have the Fish and Chip Restaurant opp the Irish Pub

Sometime before that she had Mexican Garden on the outside of the klong (south side) approx opposite the first road that crosses the klong (before Chiang Mai Gate)

It is claimed that they (Soda's) are open 24/7 but from what I understand they are struggling for customers as are many establishments in Chiang Mai at present.

I have known Soda for at least ten years and also Kiwi since he arrived in Chiang Mai.

Kiwi was very active with hash house harriers and was one of the key players in forming a breakaway group.

AND, I too spoke with both Kiwi and Soda about 10 days ago :o

Edited by john b good

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks to those above who suggested Soda's.

I ate breakfast there a few days ago, and found it perfect for the purpose.

Here's a brief report:

First, I went at a normal eating time, not pre-dawn.

Still, when I arrived, Soda (I presume) was sleeping on some stools along the counter.

I apologized, in my best Thai, for waking her.

She replied, in surprisingly good English, saying, "Don't worry. I am here to cook for you 24 hours."

Nice attitude.

I ordered bacon and eggs.

What arrived was a fine, home-style, breakfast.

Not fancy, but hot and heaty; just what I want early in the morning.

Asked for bacon crispy, and it was served just as I asked.

Also included whole wheat toast, butter, jam, orange juice, and potatoes.

Orange juice was a good quality, bottled juice -- not the more common orange-coloured, sugar water.

The potatoes were a bid odd: freshly fried, but very thin, like crisps/potato chips, not wedges of potato.

Tasty enough, just unusual to be prepared that way.

The coffee will certainly be important to most, especially at that hour.

However, I don't drink coffee, so I can't report on that.

My sincere apologies.

Everything seemed neat and clean -- more so than the average Thai-managed restaurant in that class.

The TV was on, but at a moderate volume.

No rock/rap music at all -- per a comment above.

I actually looked around for speakers to indicate there might be rap music at some time, but didn't see any speakers.

Two things I didn't like:

It was a hot day, and even at that hour you could feel the heat, but the air-con was off.

Not even a fan.

A bit of a fan would have helped, but then, at 5:00 AM it wouldn't be necessary.

Second objection was the "greeter", Mr. Reg, I presume.

I was the only customer at the time.

Reg -- meaning well, I'm sure -- came over to entertain me while I ate.

He leaned over my table, positioned his knuckles on either side of my plate of toast, and started an endless story

of his adventures from years gone by.

I would have preferred loud, rap, music.

Perhaps, at 05:00, Reg is off duty, I don't yet know.

But "mai pen rai".

Overall, based on that one experience, I am happy to recommend Soda's for a tasty, home-style breakfast, at any hour.

-- Oneman

Thank you, thank you, thank you..! I forgot all about the President hotel... Didn't also know it was open that late..

Did the girls learn to dance though, I mean something other than the Geriatric's Line Dance?

A friend of mine started working night shift in The President Hotel bar couple of weeks back. He's been pestering me to visit, says its open late. I've never been, is it worth a visit? Should point out Karoke girls aren't really my thing :)

yeh they hop line dance style.. but for me this is great... there are some spectacular girls there but i go to eat thai food ,guzzle beer and just look at the northern thai white skinned beauties... in season there where more there about 60 ..... the place is open till 5am so a lot of these dolls come in at 10p.m. i think.

it is quite thai place though and the girls will sit with you but..... be polite and smile...if nice , dressed well ..who konws what the deal is..very little english spoke...they expected get tipped to sit... i do not think this is a "take out" place' so much....i believe they have to do there time working till they get off.

thai food good

i

Edited by gatorhead333