Thailand To New Zealand

think this is the right place to post, sorry if not :o

we are from the uk and moved to thailand, we have 2 shih tzu dogs tht we bought here in thailand. we are just looking at places we could go next and new zealand is appealing to us, we want to take our dogs with us as leaving them is not an option for us.

Imin the middle of researching still but on first glances it looks as if :

a) they need a microchip that is of NZ standard

:D rabies that is of NZ standard

c) providing they have this and we get there they would spend around 21 days in quarantine.

like i say im still looking at this as we speak so i can get clarity, but i just wondered has anyone else moved from thailand to NZ with thai dogs?

if so can you explain what the process was for you?

thanks!

this will get a better response from the pets section

But fyi a friend wanted to take her thai dog (terrier/poodle cross) to Australia but the dog had to complete it's quarantine in Europe first, sadly the dog failed to pass the relevant tests for a specific virus & has been stuck with friends of hers for over 2 years in Germany. NZ may not be so strict but I'm sure others in the pets section will know.

i suspect the best place to start is the department of agriculture or veterinary services of new zealand for importation of dogs, they would have the specific requirements including the blood tests needed. i think mangotogo? was new zealand based vet? try pm 'ing him , he will be at one of the dog shows in thailand with his whippet from what i understood from him as he posted today/yesterday in our dog show pinned topic up above; try there...

bina

israel

think this is the right place to post, sorry if not :o

we are from the uk and moved to thailand, we have 2 shih tzu dogs tht we bought here in thailand. we are just looking at places we could go next and new zealand is appealing to us, we want to take our dogs with us as leaving them is not an option for us.

Imin the middle of researching still but on first glances it looks as if :

a) they need a microchip that is of NZ standard

:D rabies that is of NZ standard

c) providing they have this and we get there they would spend around 21 days in quarantine.

like i say im still looking at this as we speak so i can get clarity, but i just wondered has anyone else moved from thailand to NZ with thai dogs?

if so can you explain what the process was for you?

thanks!

This link :

http://www.biosecurity.govt.nz/enter/personal/pets

is the starting point for all information that you will require.

NZL Embassy in Bangkok , http://nzembassy.com/home.cfm?c=21 , may be of use aswell.

Also , the NZL Immigration Service in Bangkok is in the same building as the NZL embassy.

I know expat kiwi workers who've returned to NZL from assignment to Thailand, kids, dogs etc... all in tow...so it's obviously do-able.

Edited by kiakaha