Last Month's Rent And Rental Deposits

st11x

Would it not be appropriate to transfer this discussion to one of the "Why the Thais Do Not Want Us In Their Country" threads?

It is not just a lot of Thais who do not like people who break contracts or advocate doing so.

The Op's likely to be stuffed upwards of 25K from a known crook in the neighbourhood and you witter on about breaking contracts...........get real.

Do not give them any more money.

Great idea, break the contract that he signed so that she now has the law on her side. I am sure the Thai police will be fair and just with him.

On a side note, does she have copies of your passport etc?

Give her a reason to keep the money, yes. Breaking a contract is not the issue here. The police will not get involved and this is not considered bashing but the way business is done.

Let us know what you finally decided and let us know the outcome. I still suggest not paying for the last month while you are there. It may not be pleasant but at least you will only have lost one month deposit. I can't see anyone moving you out physically without returning the rental deposit.

We are moving next month. Informed the landlord and told him that we won't be paying the last months rent.

A big smile crossed his face. Said he would return the rest after the final electric/water bill arrives. ( and he will show us the bills so we know what he's going to keep.)

Seems to be the way it's done here.

Would it not be appropriate to transfer this discussion to one of the "Why the Thais Do Not Want Us In Their Country" threads?

It is not just a lot of Thais who do not like people who break contracts or advocate doing so.

The Op's likely to be stuffed upwards of 25K from a known crook in the neighbourhood and you witter on about breaking contracts...........get real.

What's real is that you appear to advocate dishonesty. Woe betide anyone who trusts your word. I honour my word (but I also read contracts before I sign them) and people who advocate the opposite leave me feeling ashamed to be a farang in this country. The only time a Thai attempted to cheat me for a non-trivial sum, I honoured my contract obligations to date and sued him in the Thai court and won and was awarded what I felt was a very fair sum in compensation.

Real enough for you?

What's real is that you appear to advocate dishonesty. Woe betide anyone who trusts your word. I honour my word (but I also read contracts before I sign them) and people who advocate the opposite leave me feeling ashamed to be a farang in this country. The only time a Thai attempted to cheat me for a non-trivial sum, I honoured my contract obligations to date and sued him in the Thai court and won and was awarded what I felt was a very fair sum in compensation.

Real enough for you?

My goodness we do lead a moral and lofty life here......you'd put Snow White and Mary Poppins to shame.

Don't feel ashamed of us mere mortal farang we'll get by as best we can.

My goodness we do lead a moral and lofty life here......you'd put Snow White and Mary Poppins to shame.

Well said. Neat, to the point and not abusive. I agree.

One thing I learned when dealing with animals that can hurt you: bears, lions, venomous snakes, vicious dogs etc, is you are on THEIR turf and you have to play by their rules. You have to give them a way out and not force the issue to a point where they are backed into a corner. It is the same with people. You can't bring your own morals and standards to the table. It just doesn't work. All you can do is stand your ground and make the best deal you can using the antagonist's rules against them. If you get out of a dicely situation alive or with little in the way of a loss then you are a winner. A lot depends on what you are willing to gamble to achieve what you are HOPING to gain.

I am sure you will. If you failed to learn honesty by an early age, there is little chance that you will pick it up now. Indeed, in a sense you probably cannot help yourself any more than I can help myself when I feel ashamed that my ethnic origin links me to you and the advice that you have handed out.

I am sure you will. If you failed to learn honesty by an early age, there is little chance that you will pick it up now. Indeed, in a sense you probably cannot help yourself any more than I can help myself when I feel ashamed that my ethnic origin links me to you and the advice that you have handed out.

The fair and honest thing here to do would be if the landlord gave the op his deposit back that is where your shame should be directed...

Here's an update.

I got an email from the husband after that call where she hung up on me. He was quite "angry" that I rang her as he mentioned all matters regarding the closing out of the lease should be done with him.

Problem is, there is no phone number I can reach him with, and he did not answer my emails for a couple of days. I needed to settle everything quickly as the due date of the rent was close.

He finally agreed (in an email) to honor the verbal agreement that we do not have to pay the last month. So that is a relieve as we can now live in the place without any fears.

Not sure what is going to happen to the other 1 month, but at least we do not have to throw big money after "lost" money.

Matt

One thing I learned when dealing with animals that can hurt you: bears, lions, venomous snakes, vicious dogs etc, is you are on THEIR turf and you have to play by their rules.

Helpful only IF you know which kind of animal you are facing, when you are to be confronting them, what the turf will be. Does the OP know? What connections or means does the landlord have, the landlord's friends or family in the police force, army, government positions, judges, local underworld, brute force bill collectors, immigration officials or just a 45 in her husband's pocket? And when? Not when he phones her, not when he visits her house, not in a court room! He almost certainly is not just up against a greedy housewife with no backup.

Avoid the confrontation or end it promptly.

Edited by Bill97

• 2 years later...

Hello,

Can I know what are your experiences about not paying the 2 last months for rent because your landlord already has a 2 months deposit ?

Do you think that the landlord is going to cut water and electricity right away ? Then if I still do not pay he will come with the cops ?

I understand him and this is what I would do, but the problem is that I am sure he will try to charge me for broken things that are not the result of my action, but that broke because they were getting old, so I don't want to pay him he 2 lasts months.

Please help.

<br>Hello,<br><br><br>Can I know what are your experiences about not paying the 2 last months for rent because your landlord already has a 2 months deposit ?<br><br>Do you think that the landlord is going to cut water and electricity right away ? Then if I still do not pay he will come with the cops ?<br><br>I understand him and this is what I would do, but the problem is that I am sure he will try to charge me for broken things that are not the result of my action, but that broke because they were getting old, so I don't want to pay him he 2 lasts months.<br><br><br>Please help.<br>
<br><div><br></div><div>Turning off the water and electricity and a friendly visit with his policeman are approaches perhaps used where you come from.  Thais are much more creative.<br><br>

</div>

Edited by Dante99

I am sure he will try to charge me for broken things that are not the result of my action, but that broke because they were getting old, so I don't want to pay him he 2 lasts months.

Did you report the breakages in writing, at the time and get a response?

In my experience most landlords are fair and it should say something in your lease regarding 'fair wear and tear'.

However, some are real as$ holes and will try and screw you......and they hold the cards. Once you don't pay your 11th month's rent they will be around like a shot (because you've actually broken the term's of your lease), knowing something's up.

It was in the contract that you must give one months notice before moving out.

You didn't give it and now you are complaining.

Being in a country where you are conversing with people not in their mother tongue, any verbal agreements can not be considered viable in a court of law as both parties must understand what they are talking about, she obviously did not, or actually did but will act like she didn't if it goes to trial.

I understand your plight though and can't stand cheats, but it WAS stipulated in the contract...i'd stay 1 more month, but make it clear you get the deposit back after the last month and after you issued the move out notice this time. Contracts can usually be extended month to month after the original time frame has been exceeded.

A last resort:

If you've kept all your rental receipts, suggest to the landlord that a vist to the local tax office might be needed to clarify things. I doubt very much that the landlord has declared the rental income, and may hastily come up with your deposit.

Although you may be right about the taxes, I'm sure that the local police officer will show up well before the landlord agrees to a day trip to the tax office. (Why would they go?)

OP, you signed a contract that said you would pay for your rents/utilities/breakages. Why are you not holding up your end of the agreement?

Why/How do you know/think that you will be charged? Have you written the landlord about the breakages before? Are you keeping it hidden until you move?

A last resort:

If you've kept all your rental receipts, suggest to the landlord that a vist to the local tax office might be needed to clarify things. I doubt very much that the landlord has declared the rental income, and may hastily come up with your deposit.

Edited by CMSteve