Importing A Vintage Motorbike To Thailand

simon43

In other words - is it a complete non-starter due to the very high import taxes etc?

There are many 'big bike' owners here in Phuket, but my interest is in riding one of the vintage (> 50 years old) British classic bikes.

It's no problem to purchase one in the UK from a dealer. But is it possible to import it into Thailand, either fully assembled or dis-assembled?

And if it is possible - know anyone who has done this?

Simon

In other words - is it a complete non-starter due to the very high import taxes etc?

There are many 'big bike' owners here in Phuket, but my interest is in riding one of the vintage (> 50 years old) British classic bikes.

It's no problem to purchase one in the UK from a dealer. But is it possible to import it into Thailand, either fully assembled or dis-assembled?

Simon

Simon,

Best of luck!!! I tried to bring bike from UK split into 3 boxes and to-date still in the port after one year.

I paid Thai import company 50K to do what needed to be done, taxes etc after 10 months told me they could not help which for this cost me 28K as they gave me back 22K.

So as I say best of luck and maybe better trying to buy older bike here as many old bikes for sale. :o

Simon

Simon,

Best of luck!!! I tried to bring bike from UK split into 3 boxes and to-date still in the port after one year.

I paid Thai import company 50K to do what needed to be done, taxes etc after 10 months told me they could not help which for this cost me 28K as they gave me back 22K.

So as I say best of luck and maybe better trying to buy older bike here as many old bikes for sale. :o

baht&sold had 1939 BSA 500cc for sale sold for 300K best try and place advert and see what comes up maybe you will be suprised, good luck.

Simon

Simon,

I like classic bikes too,but its impossible to register it.we have to look the Dmax and vigos.Better go to a karaoke bar.Soon there is a Ace Cafe in phuket we can look some fotos together and cry in the beer.classix

Classics have the same rules as modern..

The gazette issues and answers had someone importing a very old vinatge bike, as a artwork, mounted on a board and non running as a semi statue kinda deal.. No go.. Import duty..

If it looks like a bike they want their slice..

I can't recall seeing any vintage bikes for sale here in Thailand, usually only bikes that were manufactured in the 60-80s.

Simon

Well, I could swear I saw an unfinished classic project advertised here on tV a few months ago. A Triumph? Keep looking, there are old bikes. I saw some really old BMWs like R 25 and R 60 etc. over the years, too.

or try to get in touch with the unlucky owner of these 3 boxes at the port!

post-7704-1240295546_thumb.jpg

I can't recall seeing any vintage bikes for sale here in Thailand, usually only bikes that were manufactured in the 60-80s.

Simon

Well, I could swear I saw an unfinished classic project advertised here on tV a few months ago. A Triumph? Keep looking, there are old bikes. I saw some really old BMWs like R 25 and R 60 etc. over the years, too.

or try to get in touch with the unlucky owner of these 3 boxes at the port!

The web site Thaiscooter has ads for lots of classic bikes, BMW, BSA etc.

Hope this helps.

50 year old bike classic bike, the lowest import duty is on a 9-year, not older then 10-year old motorcycle. Older then 10-years the import duty is up-to the custom officer in charge. Still it is unlikely that the import duty is higher then 10% of the value of the motorcycle.

Getting the motorcycle road legal is a whole different story, and this would probably be the more difficult part. As most most classic motorcycles do not meet the strict Euro III emission rules of Thailand.

Even though my parts are made in Thailand they wont ship in thailand so all my parts have come from the UK and i carry them on the plane to the house. Could take a while but over the course of a year i have brought everything from full exhaust system to the subframe and body work for only the cost of weight.

As for emissions, how do the choppers clear it? I would say put it down as a custom jobby and see if it flies.

Edited by wrathfultalon