Applying For New Uk Passort In Bkk What About My Thai Visa?

Hello hope you can help and this is the right section. I'm in cambodia at the moment, got four blank pages left in my passport, going to get a two month tourist visa for thailand and then apply for a new passport at the british embassy in bangkok. I'm wondering what happens to the visa in my old passport? According to the British Embassy site I need to get it transferred to the new passport by the thai aurhorities. Does anyone know in practice whether this is necessary and if so how easy?

Thanks

It can not be transferred - the only thing that will be transferred is your current permitted to stay stamp. If you have the old passport you can show both to use the old visa. In your case the visa will have been used for your entry so will not effect you. You just go to immigration to have the permitted to stay stamp entered into your new passport.

Edited by lopburi3

thank you lopburi3 that answers all my questions. much appreciated.

I did this in January. very easy after a long wait at Immigration. Please note that for your new British Passport Application it should be supported and signed by some Professional who has known you for at least three years if my memory is correct plus a correctly taken Passport photo.

thank you lopburi3 that answers all my questions. much appreciated.

I did this in January. very easy after a long wait at Immigration. Please note that for your new British Passport Application it should be supported and signed by some Professional who has known you for at least three years if my memory is correct plus a correctly taken Passport photo.

If the application is made in person then that requirement is not needed.

If made by post then the professional person needs to sign to state they have known you for 2 years. Not 3.

Edited by Phatcharanan

Hello hope you can help and this is the right section. I'm in cambodia at the moment, got four blank pages left in my passport, going to get a two month tourist visa for thailand and then apply for a new passport at the british embassy in bangkok. I'm wondering what happens to the visa in my old passport? According to the British Embassy site I need to get it transferred to the new passport by the thai aurhorities. Does anyone know in practice whether this is necessary and if so how easy?

Thanks

On a similar vein, I will be visiting the UK in September and as my current passport will have less than 12 months validity I will apply for a new one while in the UK. I currently have an extension to stay stamp in my passport based on Retirement valid until the end of February 2010. I hope to return during the early part of October this year. What is the procedure on arrival at Immigration, my old passport will still have 10 months validity, that’s if I am allowed to keep it and my new one should have 10 years and 10 months validity.

If I show my old passport and have the Departure card attached to it with the relevant 90 day stamp is it just a matter of transferring my extension to stay stamp in my passport based on Retirement to my new passport before I apply for a further permission to stay.

Help and advice appreciated.

Peter

They will give you your old passport back. When you return to Thailand you will need to sho it along with your new one to immigraton becasue it will have your re-entry permit in it.

I don't understand what your mean by a 90 day stamp. You will get a permit to stay stamp that will be good until Feb. 2010.

Then go to immigration and have all your stamps transfered over to your new passport.

They will give you your old passport back. When you return to Thailand you will need to sho it along with your new one to immigraton becasue it will have your re-entry permit in it.

I don't understand what your mean by a 90 day stamp. You will get a permit to stay stamp that will be good until Feb. 2010.

Then go to immigration and have all your stamps transfered over to your new passport.

Hi Ubonjoe, thanks for the reply, this being my first permit to stay I was under the impression that I would have a 90 day stamp put on my passport at Bangkok Immigration. Your answer clarifies that I have to note the date of entry in October and report to my local immigration office within 90 days of this, well I hope thats what I have to do anyway.

Thanks again.

Peter

Was a little worried you were not aware that you needed a re-entry permit.

Your report will be due 90 days after you return.

Ubonjoe, I hope to get my re-entry permit when I report to Immigration for the first time tomorrow, thanks once again for your help.

Kind regards,

Peter