Cool Get-away

T_Dog

Was coming back from a ride west of Samoeng on HWY 5032 and finally decided to take the signed short gravel road to Mae Sap Cave. Been past this area many times but never took the time to check the cave out. The cave is quite large and there are many interesting formations hanging from the ceiling, as well as quite a few bats. I was the only one in the cave, but there was a fellow outside renting bright head lamps for 20 baht. I thought this cave was actually better (although smaller) than Chiang Dao cave as it is in a much more natural state. Worth checking out. Kids would love this place, and it felt good to escape the searing mid-day sun. The fellow renting the lights assured me there were no spirits living in the cave!

post-498-1240287180_thumb.jpg post-498-1240287162_thumb.jpg post-498-1240287207_thumb.jpg

Edited by T_Dog

Thanks for the report!! how far is it West of Samoeng? Is there anything else nearby, like a waterfall, etc?

Google maps doesn't seem to number the smaller roads in that area.. Which road is it on?

Winnie, it is less than 10 KM, maybe around 6 KM past Samoeng, and the highway (5032) and cave are very clearly denoted on the GT-Rider maps for Mae Sa Valley, and also (I think) on the Mae Hong Son map. You go north out of Samoeng past the only gas station with pumps, straight through the intersection near the pumps (i.e. don't double-back to Sameong), and then left at the next major intersection. (The red/yellow GT-Rider maps are available at book stores and they are very clear..... they've really opened up exploring in Northern Thailand for me.) There are some waterfalls further west, and of course you do pass some waterfalls between Hang Dong and Samoeng, although they are unmarked and mostly unknown. Next time I am up there I will try to get you the GPS coordinates. One waterfall our bike group likes to go to is great for swimming and is visited by friendly elephant tours. It is only 200 meters or so off the Sameong loop but always quiet.

• 2 weeks later...

Another great day for a ride, and was able to get the GPS coordinates for the small waterfall on the road to Sameong, as well as the coordinates for Mae Sap Cave:

Gaew Da Chang Waterfall: N18 48.270 E098 49.791

Look for this on the right side of the road:

post-498-1241349971_thumb.jpg

Mae Sap Cave: N18 52.241 E098 43.260

If you feel adventurous and want to have a nice mountain drive and have a vehicle capable of very steep roads, try finding the

Doi Phasom Temple at N18 56.279 E098 35.331. You will have to drive 3-4 kilometers on gravel through one valley, but the roads are decent except for the final very steep pitch up to the steps to the temple. The temple has a very educated monk (Masters Degree from Stanford) that speaks excellent English, and they are looking for people to help out up there. And it is truly way up there! Here is a photo of the temple, and of a windmill they are experimenting with.

post-498-1241350002_thumb.jpg post-498-1241350027_thumb.jpg

On the way back, if you take the Sameong Road toward Mae Rim, you could stop at the Pong Yang Resort N18 53.858 E098 50.725 for a nice lunch overlooking a waterfall.

Thanks a lot for takin the time to post the coordinates! Very much appreciated..!

You are very welcome! There is so much within an hour or two of Chiang Mai that it just boggles the mind.... like a giant playground!

By the way, the Doi Phasom Temple and the monk I mentioned earlier are featured in the current issue of Compass magazine.