Govt To Launch Media War Countering Red Shirts

george

Govt to launch media war countering red shirts

The government will launch a publicity campaign at home and abroad to counter the propaganda of the red shirts, PM's Office Minister Satit Wongnongtaey said on Tuesday.

"The media war will be designed to counter the smear campaign of the red shirts and explain the true situation to the international community," he said.

He said police and public prosecutors were obligated to enforce the arrest warrant for red-shirt co-leader Jakrapob Penkair who remains at large and claims to have fled abroad.

-- The Nation 2009-04-21

Jakrapob: UDD plans new revolt

BANGKOK: -- Fugitive red-shirt Jakrapob Penkair has declared the United Front for Democracy against Dictatorship (UDD) is already planning another attempt to topple the government and will launch it if Prime Minister Abhisit does not find a way to bring about strong and lasting reconciliation.

Mr Jakrapob has fled the country. He has not been seen public since a state of emergency was declared last week to end the UDD rampage in Pattaya and Bangkok. A warrant has been issued for his arrest for incitement to violence. The other UDD leaders stayed in Thailand.

Mr Jakrapob phoned several news agencies from an undisclosed location to announced his plans for a continuing revolt.

He said the red-shirt group may start a small anti-government rally in the next two to three days. The protesters would abide by the law. They also might rally outside Government House again some time in the future, he said.

He said he would stay underground for as long as needed.

"It is too late for the UDD to just yield and stop its movement, and nobody can tell what will happen next," said Mr Jakrapob.

He claimed that soldiers were sent undercover to blend in with the red-shirt group during the riot last week, and they were the ones who tried to discredit the UDD by burning public buses, inciting unrest and causing bloodshed.

He also claimed the attack on People's Alliance for Democracy (PAD) leader Sondhi Limthongkul on Friday was staged by the army and the Democrat party, and that this could be a signal for the army to eliminate both red-shirt and yellow-shirt groups.

Mr Sondhi was targeted because he knew too much, he said.

The UDD said he was setting up a base to support the anti-government movement, he claimed.

"The decision to end the UDD rally last week was not unanimous, but I respect other core members' decisions since I was not in the situation at the moment," said Mr Jakrapob.

He said he had recently talked with former prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra when he was in Dubai, but claimed Thaksin did not give orders to the UDD leaders during last week's protest.

-- Bangkok Post

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I dont understand why governments announce a media war. Obviously the government are going to put their side and their spin, but surely you dont have to state so. That just sounds like we are going to use propoganda, which of course all governments do, and isnt very sophisticated. Why not just do it without announcement?

I dont understand why governments announce a media war. Obviously the government are going to put their side and their spin, but surely you dont have to state so. That just sounds like we are going to use propoganda, which of course all governments do, and isnt very sophisticated. Why not just do it without announcement?

the media is already filtering, suppressing and presenting bias news, the "media war" started a while ago and obviously the goverment (or army or whoever is in charge these days) won it, at least within Thailand.

international media has been more balanced....

to answer your question ... i dont know. perhaps the announcement is part of the propagander itself, perhaps they are trying to appease some groups with a public announcement, perhaps it is more directed at international perception...

Edited by mc2

the media is already filtering, suppressing and presenting bias news, the "media war" started a while ago and obviously the goverment won it, at least within Thailand.

international media has been more balanced....

to answer your question ... i dont know. perhaps the announcement is part of the propagander itself, perhaps they are trying to appease some groups with a public announcement, perhaps it is more directed at international perception...

You may be right on appeasing some groups. I have long felt that the so often presented alliance of Dems-coaliton partners-PAD-Sondhi-army etc alliance is a lot more fractious than commonly thought with very deep divides and distrusts.

My words are "truth and enlightment"

My opposition's words are "smear and propaganda"

It is all spin, shamefully.

The group in power, Abhisit & co, allowed their friends to occupy the airport and government house without using the army.

But when the red shirts demonstrated, out came rifles albeit with (I hope) blanks.

True democrats around the world, when they see the results of the elections and the proposed constitution, will form their own opinion of which side should be in power.

What a timing ! Sondhi the media mogul is out and suddenly the government is taking over the propaganda offensive.

Sorry, again my suspicious mind, but does the government takes over because Sonhi is out? Or did the government needed Sondhi to be out to take over the propaganda offensive?

<SNIP>

The group in power, Abhisit & co, allowed their friends to occupy the airport and government house without using the army.

But when the red shirts demonstrated, out came rifles albeit with (I hope) blanks.

<SNIP>

However, the army WAS called out when there was violence

between the police and the PAD

around Parliament House

on the evening of October 7th.

edited to add pictures I took on Sunday October 11th, 2008.

1a-1.jpg

1b.jpg

(these may not be the army, I am not sure, but they are the armed forces.)

Edited by Splatter

Re: Jakrapob Penkair; So he openly proclaims that a revolution is in the pipeline...that is treason.

Edit: Added qualifier.

Erm is it treason?

I am not so sure. He is against a specific ruling group and advocating peaceful protests. That to me is not Treason it is politics. The fact that he has been threatened does not mean he is treasonous it merely means he fears for his safety so is campaigning (rightly or wrongly) from a place he feels safe.

Re: Jakrapob Penkair; So he openly proclaims that a revolution is in the pipeline...that is treason.

Edit: Added qualifier.

Erm is it treason?

I am not so sure. He is against a specific ruling group and advocating peaceful protests. That to me is not Treason it is politics. The fact that he has been threatened does not mean he is treasonous it merely means he fears for his safety so is campaigning (rightly or wrongly) from a place he feels safe.

I guess may be a bit of good thing can come out from this, for example they could have let everyone know when all Taxin family fled Thailand right before the stupid Pattaya incident by Red Shirts. I think people should know the true faces of Taxin. He says one thing and he does something else, etc , etc….

On a point of fact, that was a different government, a PPP-led coalition, led by Thaksin's brother-in-law Somchai. PM-Abhisit & the Democratic-Party were then the opposition. :o

True democrats around the world, when they see the results of the elections and the proposed constitution, will form their own opinion of which side should be in power.

er... the Democrats were not in power and Abhisit was not yet PM during the government house and airport occupations by the PAD...

On a point of fact, that was a different government, a PPP-led coalition, led by Thaksin's brother-in-law Somchai. PM-Abhisit & the Democratic-Party were then the opposition. :o

Ah, the proud red tradition, never let the facts get in the way of a good argument.

Ah, the proud red tradition, never let the facts get in the way of a good argument.

I say the group in power because I look at the results - Somchai was never really in charge as he did not have support of the unelected power brokers.

Just watched a fascinating programme about West Point - the US Army teaches its soldiers that their political masters are indeed their masters, it is something some military forces forget, that they should be subservient to the will of the properly elected government.

I say the group in power because I look at the results - Somchai was never really in charge as he did not have support of the unelected power brokers.

Just watched a fascinating programme about West Point - the US Army teaches its soldiers that their political masters are indeed their masters, it is something some military forces forget, that they should be subservient to the will of the properly elected government.

Being in the military one is government property and that applies to every country.

All they need to do is honor an election , but I guess that is to much to asked.

Let blow some money and hide behind a smoke screen and never mind about the majority of the people.

But in Thailand they don't swear allegiance to their "political masters". They swear allegiance to King and Country.

Yes King and country, which leaves them free to be watchdogs on the crooked political class.

More often than not the politicians are doing the most to take funds out of ever last Thai citizens pocket.

Some go for subtle, others just cut your purse strings and laugh at you in the face.

Of course some of the armed forces are JUST as bent as the politicians.

And no one can adequately reign them in. It certainly is a problem.

Yet there seem to be a greater number of problems from the political classes

the army does the big moves but the greedy pols seem to set the staging

to FORCE the army to make a move, usually on the Pol in questions opponents.

If the army decided to back the least graft ridden party

and remains as peaceful as possible when backing it,

It is likely the best we can hope for at this time.

I don't believe in utopian ideas as anything more than IDEAS,

Practical Implementation on the ground means a heck of a lot more.

The social divisions are not disappearing, but changing horses now is

and even worse idea than letting the current opposition free reign

via an protracted and vicious campaign for hearts minds and pocket books.

Thaksin needs chaos soon or he loses his pile, but the country needs Thaksin penurous,

and unable to manipulate the populace any more, for 12-18 months MINIMUM.

Then MAYBE the rational for a new election can be broached.

As long as Thaksin has the money to twist the country's vote,

an election defeats itself. It would prove nothing but that Thaksin has very deep pockets.

And that is NOT and shall NEVER be a valid reason to get to run a country.

Even if many seemed to think so just prior 2000....

--------------------------------------------------

Edit: Part of post deleted as not his proper name is given.

Edited by Mario2008

Actually abhisit didnt stop the protest because he couldnt [he wasnt PM], and it wasnt his decision to not bring out guns rifle and violence at that time, it was either Somchai or Samak . But i think Samak did the right thing, because the yellows had more support and they were more peaceful than the reds, if the government had come out with guns and rifles then they would lose the support of a lot more people who supported them at the time. The situation with the reds is different, i dont remember the yellows burning up buses, hold knives [proven that reds have weapons by pics taken by cnn news reporters], and a gas tank waiting to explode. Abhisit started this media war long ago,he was smart when allowed all media to be with the soldiers the whole time, the news reporters who were with the soldier are going to be the best witness. Also they showed the people with injuries the other day on television, they had 2 doctors (one was the patients doctor, and one was a warfare weapons speciallist) they came out and showed pics to prove their innocence, the propaganda (whether its true or not) started long before this was announced.

What a timing ! Sondhi the media mogul is out and suddenly the government is taking over the propaganda offensive.

Sorry, again my suspicious mind, but does the government takes over because Sonhi is out? Or did the government needed Sondhi to be out to take over the propaganda offensive?

But Sondhi is not out!

Come on ! Everybody knows that the previous governments (Samak / Somchai) were never able to to control the army or the police, actually making a mockery of Thailand as a democracy.

Be honest, Abhi was on the PAD side, actually he hired PAD executives to his government. You're only fooling yourself when you pretend the "democrats" are a "democratic" party. You can support whatever side you like, but at least be honest !

Come on ! Everybody knows that the previous governments (Samak / Somchai) were never able to to control the army or the police, actually making a mockery of Thailand as a democracy.

Be honest, Abhi was on the PAD side, actually he hired PAD executives to his government. You're only fooling yourself when you pretend the "democrats" are a "democratic" party. You can support whatever side you like, but at least be honest !

People like Samak oe Somchai should never get premier. Alone the english interviews with Samak tells it all.

There is no PAD executive in the Abhisit government and I don't see any problem with democracy. Different than the Democrats several PTP MPs directly support the reds. While at the Democrats there was just 1.

But anyhow there is no simple solution for it, now

Govt to launch media war countering red shirts

The government will launch a publicity campaign at home and abroad to counter the propaganda of the red shirts, PM's Office Minister Satit Wongnongtaey said on Tuesday.

"The media war will be designed to counter the smear campaign of the red shirts and explain the true situation to the international community," he said.

He said police and public prosecutors were obligated to enforce the arrest warrant for red-shirt co-leader Jakrapob Penkair who remains at large and claims to have fled abroad.

-- The Nation 2009-04-21

To use public funds for a campaign overseas could just be seen as standard advertising however to use public funds to put forward a political message in Thailand, even if it is just targetted at the international community, could prove divisive unless it has the support of all political parties.

Blatant arrogance??

One MP who was an MP before he joined PAD.

That doesn't say PAD controles the Dems,

it only says some Dems are not adverse to PAD .

But lets contrast him to MP and opposition whip Jatuporm

Who has this very week used his position to avoid arrest.

Democrat MP and PAD Leader Somkiat Pongpaiboon submits to arrest

Mr. Somkiat Pongpaiboon (สมเกียรติ พงษ์ไพบูลย์), one of the nine leaders of the People's Alliance for Democracy (PAD)

has submitted himself to arrest at the Nang Leong (นางเลิ้ง) Police Station;

revealing that he will not use his special rights as an MP to defend himself.

What a difference. n'est pas?

I stand by my post above.

"Abhisit & co" were not "the group in power" at the time of the PAD-protest at the airport. They were still the opposition in parliament at that point. So it is wrong to say that they were in power.

Complaining that the PPP-led coalition-government was out-of-control, as they obsessed with its single-issue strategy to whitewash its shadowy absent-master, or being ignored by the police following the October-7th disaster, or led by two poor PMs in a row, doesn't change that fact.

Nor does telling me I'm fooling myself, or being dishonest, or bringing in how democratic the Democrats may or may not be.

It was an error to claim that Abhisit was in power when he wasn't. End of story. :D