• Topics

• Latest posts...

1. 51

Bangkok Suffers Severe Smog as PM2.5 Levels Soar Amidst Heat Wave

2. 87

Why is Russia such a cesspool?

3. 95

Form 7162 Anybody Received Theirs Yet for 2024?

4. 0

Has my sex tourist friend found a loop hole?

5. 2,667

ICE vs EV, the debate thread

6. 68

Thai Hostages Still Missing a Year After Hamas Attack

7. 563

White Culture

8. 0

Florida Law Enforcement trying to protect the innocent,ain’t easy!

9. 87

Why is Russia such a cesspool?

10. 34

Tm47 online submission "rejected"

11. 19

Will White Women Shift Away from Republicans to Support Kamala Harris in 2024?

12. 17

Maximum Baht I can take out of Tland as cash

13. 17

Maximum Baht I can take out of Tland as cash

14. 125

Trump chickens out again.

Servicing A Ducati - Timing Belt And All

Kf6vci

I heard Ducati have much higher running costs. Can a Duc owner clearify this? I found a lovely M 900 :o But wouldn't dream of letting the average mechanic touch it. Cheers, Chris

post-7704-1240295208_thumb.jpg

Edited by Kf6vci

Higher running cost compared to what. For me I found that some regular parts for a HD are particular more expensive then a Duc, and on the other side some parts from a Beemer G650 can shock you.

Then you can compare it to grey import Honda's which have no official dealer network, so prices with big Honda or Suzuki bikes are the real wildwest...

Where did you find the M 900 and how was it brought into the country?

The official Ducati dealership in Thonglor has a decent workshop but may require an 'entrance fee' (usually 10% of the purchase price) for working on Duc's that weren't originally bought through them.

There's a place called Chicane out on RamIntra that handles many race Ducatis and comes highly recommended.

I own a Duc, but can't add anything to what RC said. The mechanic at the Ducati dealer is very good. But they do charge a fee if you didn't buy the bike from them. You might want to stop in on Thong Lor and see what they have 2nd hand. And the new Monster 696 is around 520,000 out the door.

Hey Gus.. Can you remeber the service interval for the SC.. I'm almost on 5oookm... can't remember if it is 5k or 6k ?

As for Duc's being expensive to service.. Think in Thiland the labour cost is very reasonable. Parts/oil and filters seem pretty reasonable too... Least the mech tech doesn't charge 60 quid an hour here :o

Hey Gus.. Can you remeber the service interval for the SC.. I'm almost on 5oookm... can't remember if it is 5k or 6k ?

As for Duc's being expensive to service.. Think in Thiland the labour cost is very reasonable. Parts/oil and filters seem pretty reasonable too... Least the mech tech doesn't charge 60 quid an hour here :D

Hey Daz, You got to get out more :o

I got mine done at 11,300kms - so i think its 12k, but it might be 10. I remember a big selling point on these was 1/2 the service visits. And the cost ..........i got the bill right here- 2,900 baht for everything, including oil and filter. It must be 12, because the next one is 24.

Not that I have one. But I service my bike every 5,000kms.

Oh yeah, I change the oil & filter btwn 5k-6k. Daz was talking about the scheduled service on a new bike that you have to have done- check belts, adjust ecu, tighten everything down to spec.

you mention about timing belts - they should be replaced every 2 years - regardless of mileage.

the cost of the belts is around USD 110 - and fitting them here in BKK cost a couple thousand baht if I remember right. If in doubt, call Ducati Thonglor. Or you can do it yourself, if you are mechanically minded.

You can download a Ducati Monster user's manual from the Ducati website to get more information on the specifics or each service interval, but generally it is oil, filter and air filter and plugs changed - as well as valve check and timing belt check (other fluids should also be checked) every 10,000. Then at 20k, you want to change the belts - if this ocurs before two years, synch throttle bodies, general lube and grease job - as well as the usual ten thou interval bits and pieces as mentioned above.

generally though, my oil gets replaced every 5,000 - and you should do this - especially if you are running an aftermarket air filter and open airbox.

a good resource for all monster items... Ducati Monster Forum..US based. A wealth of knowledge there. What year model is the bike? If it's an M900, I'm thinking it should already have had the belts changed at LEAST twice....?

and no, I wouldn't say the overall maintenance costs are that different - especially if you can manage to do some of the basics yourself.

Edited by gragra

Thanks for the wealth of information! I know from Germany that Monster owners may pay about 40,000 Baht for a big inspection :o So this is reflecting the cost of labour, eh?

My biggest complaint so far is - don't laugh - soreness of the buttocks! :D the M 900 is a very emotional machine.

post-7704-1240570034_thumb.jpg

The official Ducati dealership in Thonglor has a decent workshop but may require an 'entrance fee' (usually 10% of the purchase price) for working on Duc's that weren't originally bought through them.

This is classic, an 'official' DUCATI importer/dealer charging an entrance fee for working on a Ducati NOT brought from them. WOW maybe understandable if you wanted them to work on a Suzuki (or warranty work on a grey, but even then if Ducati sold it i would expect them to honour warranty), but to work on a DUCATI and charge an entrance fee, a bloody ripoff. Your going to pay for the work after all. That's what it means by being 'official' you work on behalf of Ducati and its customers.

YET another reason not to get a Ducati. main bloody reason's are no money and i dont want one :o:D

This is classic, an 'official' DUCATI importer/dealer charging an entrance fee for working on a Ducati NOT brought from them. WOW maybe understandable if you wanted them to work on a Suzuki (or warranty work on a grey, but even then if Ducati sold it i would expect them to honour warranty), but to work on a DUCATI and charge an entrance fee, a bloody ripoff. Your going to pay for the work after all. That's what it means by being 'official' you work on behalf of Ducati and its customers.

YET another reason not to get a Ducati. main bloody reason's are no money and i dont want one :o:D

Allan, I've never asked Ducati why they do that, or even what the exact charge is, or what the policy would be for an under-warranty self-imported bike, but i do know they do take good care of their customers. Its probably got something to do with the people who have bought from them getting taken care of first. Their mechanic is good - very good, and at about 500 baht per-hour, pretty reasonable. Plus he was trained by Ducati, at the dealers expense. Ducati Thailand is not hurting - I was in there a couple of weeks ago and the showroom had 2 bikes left - 1098s and 1098r. I asked "where's all the bikes?" - The manager said "sold, the new ones are coming". In one month they sold 6 - as in SIX - brand new 696 Monsters, plus a couple of Sportclassics, and a 1098.

Plus he was trained by Ducati, at the dealers expense

How else would you expect him to be trained ???

In one month they sold 6 - as in SIX - brand new 696 Monsters

six ?? SIX ??? Wow..

Is that supposed to be impressive ?? for an entire country.. On a newish released model..

I am not in any way anti Duci (tho I think the 10% of value service fee is a shocking thing for full price service) but that statement just makes me smile..

That's okay. We like to keep the riff-raff out.

Ya cheeky sod :D

but i do know they do take good care of their customers. Its probably got something to do with the people who have bought from them getting taken care of first. Their mechanic is good - very good, and at about 500 baht per-hour,

Hi Netfan. I can understand the statement about looking after their customers first, thats ok. But I would have thought any company who is an official importer of a high end product would look after the customer, I would not expect anything else. As for the mechanic being trained by Ducati. I would bloody well hope so, i would expect the bugger to be 1/2 Italian :o:D

Anyway no money so no Ducati honey :D

• 4 weeks later...

There's a place called Chicane out on RamIntra that handles many race Ducatis and comes highly recommen

Just an udate Chicane is now out on Lad Prao 64.

Cheers

HH

• 6 months later...

There's a place called Chicane out on RamIntra that handles many race Ducatis and comes highly recommen

Just an udate Chicane is now out on Lad Prao 64.

Cheers

HH

Just to update on what Rustic Charm stated. I specifically asked Chum at Ducati Thonglor if they would honor working on Ducati's coming in from outside the country (eg: bike travelling tourists). As long as they have the registration and Ducati card that came with the bike, it is presumed that their will be no pre-service fee. Its the Ducati that turn up with no birth certificates that will incur the service charge.

I'll have to test that statement out in the next few months :)

• 2 weeks later...

YET another reason not to get a Ducati. main bloody reason's are no money and i dont want one :):D

That's okay bro, but you don't know what you are missing.

Too bad this is an old thread. Hope the guy bought the M900, he won't be sorry.

I've had the Harley dealer in Chiangmai, a farang, tell me essentially the same thing: "we don't work on 'outside bikes.' " Huh?? So, what, like I won't find someone that WILL be happy to take my money??? And here I was going to have him do powder coating, tire changes, etc...guess he doesn't like money. I like Harleys, had me a beauty @ 17 years ago, loved that bike. But the attitudes of SOME Harley people? Not so in love. And not near the bike a Ducati twin is. Another league.

Changing M900 timing belts...I had a 1995 M900, bought it new, just sold it in August. The usual: hi-comp 944 kit w/square bore racing carbs, Termignoni SS exhaust w/ carbon fibre cans, CF accessories, loved that bike. The belts are easy enough to change, and you can use a simple method that doesn't require a "Ducati special tool" to set tension. Just google "changing timing belt on Ducati (insert your year) M900" and you'll find illustrated instructions. The special tool is just a tension gauge, btw: these are simple bikes to do routine service on. Don't be intimidated by rumors. Even doing valve adjustments aren't that hard: you just need to order the set of shims before you take her out of service so you won't be waiting for them to arrive. Take your time, enjoy learning how to keep your Italian girl happy.

But if you are completely helpless as mechanic, best bet is to find a good Duck mechanic in Thailand, and take advantage of the cheap labor to keep her in top form. One of the other comments gave you good advice on the other Ducati shop in Bangkok (not the authorized dealer), I hear they are very good.

Hard to beat a well set up M900 for all-around bikegasms. Wheelie machines.

I've had the Harley dealer in Chiangmai, a farang, tell me essentially the same thing: "we don't work on 'outside bikes.' " Huh?? So, what, like I won't find someone that WILL be happy to take my money??? And here I was going to have him do powder coating, tire changes, etc...guess he doesn't like money. I like Harleys, had me a beauty @ 17 years ago, loved that bike. But the attitudes of SOME Harley people? Not so in love. And not near the bike a Ducati twin is. Another league.

The thing is.. When a bike has an unknown history of service in Thailand, very often you open them up to find horrors like car engine bearings on modified ground cranks, half the bolts cross threaded and stripped, everything either over or under torqued.. Basically bodged and ruined.

People dont then appreciate the time and effort required to put this all right, the costs involved in time and parts... And then the whole process is complex..

So in a way, having dealt with some of the horrors, I sympathise with a dealer system that says 'we maintain what we sell' and dont involve themselves on anything they dont or cant handle. Its a stement of how screwed up the stuff in the grey market is more than then dealer IMO.

But if you are completely helpless as mechanic, best bet is to find a good Duck mechanic in Thailand, and take advantage of the cheap labor to keep her in top form. One of the other comments gave you good advice on the other Ducati shop in Bangkok (not the authorized dealer), I hear they are very good.

Outside of bangkok that will be none !!

Finding even the most basic of mechanical / engineering skills and honesty down here on Phuket is nigh on impossible.. It would be self service or none at all.