Studying In Bangkok

manum

Heyas,

I am not sure if this should be posted here, but I didn't find any other forum about education (only for teaching).

I am currently living in Bangkok and trying to find a university to study at. I would like to start as soon as possible! I am looking for undergraduate program (Bachelor's Degree).

I have been sending inquiries to many universities and I have also visited many websites.

Does anyone know if there is any university that is taking students in more than twice a year? I would be ready to start studying in March.

I am interested in Computer Science/IT and everything related to computers. Another main interested would be reading B.A. majoring Thai language, but I haven't found any university in Bangkok that offers this. I have been E-mailing with some person from Kasetsart (or something) university and they have such program, but the medium of instruction is Thai. They told me though, that they could give me 4-6 months intensive Thai course before I could attend classes with Thai people :D Wouldn't that be interesting :o

Anyway.. if anyone know any university where I could start in around March already.. please let me know. I would like to study in Bangkok, but other provinces are also considered if I find a good school/program.

I would be surprised if you find any undergraduate degrees from Thai universities taught in English. If there are UG courses taught in English then they won't be aimed a Thai market therefore you won't have your 'Thai Student' experience on any of these programs.

My main reaction is why do you want to especially if you are from the US, Europe, Canada, Australia etc?

A Thai University degree is not looked upon as any great shakes on the world academic stage. A degree from the West will hold you in greater stead than any from a Thai university.

A few months of Thai tuition no matter how intensive WILL NOT give you the tools to be able to study to degree level in a Thai university class. You would just be wasting your time and money. Granted it is a good experience but probably not worthy of the expense.

I would suggest trying to find a Thai Studies program in your home country (eg SOAS, Monash etc) which offers a years study in Thailand as part of the program. Then let the fun start during your year abroad!!!!

Edited by ProfessorFart

Yeah well .. I like to study in Thailand because I am planning to stay here for a long time. Studying gives me an opportunity to stay longer.

And about AU.. I think I will apply there. I have been mailing with someone from AU already but I was trying to find alternative options. Some people say AU is one of the most respected universities in Thailand.. anyone have any experience about AU?

Yeah well .. I like to study in Thailand because I am planning to stay here for a long time. Studying gives me an opportunity to stay longer.

And about AU.. I think I will apply there. I have been mailing with someone from AU already but I was trying to find alternative options. Some people say AU is one of the most respected universities in Thailand.. anyone have any experience about AU?

The campus is bloody good-looking. But I heard the ajarns on computer science are abnormal. haha.

I'll reiterate that a Degree from a Thai Uni is worthless in the wide world outside of Thailand. While you may see your future in Thailand for the near future think about 10 years down the line.

Don't think a degree from a Thai Uni is going to be an automatic ticket to preferential treatment either when it comes to Visas, WPs etc when you have graduated because it won't.

I'll reiterate that a Degree from a Thai Uni is worthless in the wide world outside of Thailand. While you may see your future in Thailand for the near future think about 10 years down the line.

Don't think a degree from a Thai Uni is going to be an automatic ticket to preferential treatment either when it comes to Visas, WPs etc when you have graduated because it won't.

Yeah well this is again not something I asked for. It's always a pleasure to hear great opinions from people. Thanks to you, too! :o

Anyway thanks to Anna for good answers to my quqestions.

I know you never asked for my info but its well worth giving serious thought to.

As funny as it sounds you are better off taking a Thai Language degree program overseas and taking a years study in Thailand if thats the way you want to go.

The only Thai studoes programs I know of in Thailand are all MA level.

Sorry PF, I have to disagree. My younger brother finished a BA in international business from ABAC and went to work for Levi Strauss when he returned to California. He said the study was very good and that many of the things he learned his co-workers were clueless about. There is good education in English to be found in Thailand and some of the schools are in cooperation with universities in the US,

the UK and even Japan. The four year BA in business English at ABAC is about

350,000 Thai Baht. That is perhaps the biggest incentive of all. Could one do a BA in England or America on that kind of money? Some businesses in the US look at international experience in a very positive light as well. It shows that the graduate has a wider scope on life.

The original poster might check out Bangkok University International College as well.

I heard Bangkok University was not good.

Many students in ABAC couldnt graduate 'coz of very low GPA and they transfer credits to Bkk Uni and pay 50,000Baht(not sure). Then they can graduate with BBA from Bkk Uni.

That's just what I heard from many of my friends.

ABAC is famous for its Management. International Biz Mgt is quite popular in international students in ABAC. Of course, it's also very hard to major in it. I heard the requirement is GPA2.8+. Sometimes, if there's a serious competition, a guy with GPA3.8 cant major in it either.

Many students in ABAC couldnt graduate 'coz of very low GPA and they transfer credits to Bkk Uni and pay 50,000Baht(not sure). Then they can graduate with BBA from Bkk Uni.

This is very good to know. There are other threads in the teacher's topic about schools that 'pass' students no matter what. My brother told me that when he was at ABAC if a student was doing badly and failed, he had to take the course over or drop out. No hand holding.

You would do well to listen to professorfart, as despite his choice of nickname he is prudent to warn you about the value of a thai degree as your first BA. I am also planning, and always planned, on doing a thai BA or MA or PhD. However, I first did a degree here in the UK (Ba) because I knew that even getting a job INSIDE Thailand with only a thai degree is going to make life very tricky for me.

Take the advice! However, if earning money is not important to you, I would suggest Assumption and Chulalongkorn. You could start with the British council if you are a brit.

As an employer - I have to tell you that the IT degrees in ABAC are not up to much.

ABAC do teach in English but I think they fall back on Thai quite a lot, so you'll still need to be fluent before going there. I did teach a 6-week programming course there 5 years ago (I'm not a teacher though) and I found that many of the Professors had very basic English skills - so how do they teach in English ?

On the whole, though - for IT, ABAC students are not taught the basics of IT, nor are they taught a wide range of programming languages. When hiring an ABAC IT graduate, there's an awful lot of teaching left for the employer to do.

Remember - ABAC is a private University - it seems that no-one fails - obviously, you don't pay all that money to fail a degree do you ?

Not all ABAC students are bad - far from it, it's just that to an employer, it's no guarantee that they are trainable. So whilst I have some fantastic staff that are ABAC graduates, that's only because the crap ones are gone.

In my experience IT graduates from Chulalongkorn have been taught the IT fundamentals AND the ability to self-learn. I'd hire a Chula student over ABAC any day of the week.

sorry to disagree with you but what about the 99 % thai students studying in thailand. do you reckon their lives are less meaningful ???

i have to admit a foreign degree is a bit overrated in thailand. yes it does help you quite a lot when applyin for a job but after that its your pure ability, not a degree, that speaks. simply look at thailand's PM, thaksin. he did his Phd in the states but speaks very very crap english.

junctionxnet3098630ck.gif

Edited by bangkok_till_i_die

From what I gather the original poster is a westerner or non-Thai? Most Thais go for their BA degrees in Thailand for the sole purpose of making contacts with other students who may lead to future business opportunities after they finish school. They then go on to study in the US, Europe, Aust, ect., and then return to Thailand.

If a foreigner is planning on making Thailand a long term home, then studying in Thailand would be a good idea because of the connections with Thai students and future networking possibilities with them. I know nothing of IT so can't help with advice, but Thailand would not be a bad place to study international business or management.

From what I gather the original poster is a westerner or non-Thai? Most Thais go for their BA degrees in Thailand for the sole purpose of making contacts with other students who may lead to future business opportunities after they finish school. They then go on to study in the US, Europe, Aust, ect., and then return to Thailand.

If a foreigner is planning on making Thailand a long term home, then studying in Thailand would be a good idea because of the connections with Thai students and future networking possibilities with them. I know nothing of IT so can't help with advice, but Thailand would not be a bad place to study international business or management.

oh c'mon how many thai graduates you think can afford to go abroad. its a bit of mission unless their families are loaded or they get a scholarship.

the education department(minister) in Thailand is run by moron, useless, lazy-azz people that only looking for money, Thailand University(some not all) is as good as any other around the world, the thing is they don't connect(hook-up) with any other University, Thailand is a well-know country, known by many first world country, they need to wake up and have talk with agreement with other education department in other country to join member. dead-beat minister do not do any shiit to improve University in Thailand. (my opinion)

oh c'mon how many thai graduates you think can afford to go abroad. its a bit of mission unless their families are loaded or they get a scholarship.

Excuse me? You really think Thai graduates don't have money to study abroad?

Think again. There is more money in the country than you may think. Many of them get scholarships with banks and other companies. In other words when they are done studying abroad, they must work for a particular bank, company or the government. I helped many young university students with their English conversation and writing to prepare to go abroad. It is quite expensive though and you are right; a lot of Thais can't afford it and a lot of foreigners can't afford to study in their home countries either. My brother didn't have $US 80,000 to study so he went to Thailand and spent 400,000 Thai Baht instead. We're not all rich.

Edited by mbkudu

Think again. There is more money in the country than you may think. Many of them get scholarships with banks and other companies. In other words when they are done studying abroad, they must work for a particular bank, company or the government. I helped many young university students with their English conversation and writing to prepare to go abroad.

im not against going study abroad but it should be done only if the course you wanna take is not available or too crap in thailand. why borrowing so much and working years to repay the debt just to get a western degree ??? thats a bit too desperate IMO

and one thing, you know that the rivalry between the states, the uk and other english speaking countries has been intense recently as they all want to suck foreigners into their countries; they pay massive tuition fees, somewhat 10 times e.g. uk students pay a mere one thousand quid but foreigners do pay a whopping 10 grand for tuition fees.

one last thing, did you know the uk, for instance, receives an eye-watering 600 million pounds in tuition fees from foreign students annually ?? having said that, i reckon its a massive business and it looks demand is now outstripping supply now.

Edited by bangkok_till_i_die

Think again. There is more money in the country than you may think. Many of them get scholarships with banks and other companies. In other words when they are done studying abroad, they must work for a particular bank, company or the government. I helped many young university students with their English conversation and writing to prepare to go abroad.

im not against going study abroad but it should be done only if the course you wanna take is not available or too crap in thailand. why borrowing so much and working years to repay the debt just to get a western degree ??? thats a bit too desperate IMO

and one thing, you know that the rivalry between the states, the uk and other english speaking countries has been intense recently as they all want to suck foreigners into their countries; they pay massive tuition fees, somewhat 10 times e.g. uk students pay a mere one thousand quid but foreigners do pay a whopping 10 grand for tuition fees.

one last thing, did you know the uk, for instance, receives an eye-watering 600 million pounds from foreign students for tuition fees annually ?? having said that, i reckon its a massive business and it looks demand is now outstripping supply now.

Ok, where should we all study then; Europe/US or Thailand? If everywhere is <deleted> then lets just forget education. After all many people become quite successful without formal education.

Ok, where should we all study then; Europe/US or Thailand? If everywhere is <deleted> then lets just forget education. After all many people become quite successful without formal education.

Study anywhere you want.

Several men tried to persuade me give up formal education and work for them during internship. But for me, I prefer formal education. Quite traditional on this point. :o

Education has different meaning for each person. Someone just wanna hold a big diploma for a higher position or status in the future. And someone just wanna get a degree. Someone just dont wanna work then keep studying. We cannot say who is right 'coz everyone's way is different. If all of the ppl walk in the same way, I guess there will be a disastrous 'traffic jam'.

Ok..

I studied at both Bangkok U and ABAC. Both schools are not very good and BU is lower than ABAC.

I studied at those schools as a visiting student for about one and a half years. I was able to transfer the credits to an undergraduate program at a Canadian university (but I was taking business and not IT). Now, I'm doing an international MBA at a Canadian university (ranked 22nd worldwide). That's the choice I made and it worked out. Having said that, to get a degree in Thailand is okay if you plan to enter into a master degree program abroad. You might not be getting a great education, but you're getting an incredible cultural experience in Thailand--one that many people are not lucky enough to have. However, a Thai degree by itself does little for you outside of Thailand in the work sector. And of course, most international programs in Thailand are like high school--very low level. For an IT degree--you difinitely want a credential that will allow you to work right after and I'm afraid a Thai degree will be negatively viewed abroad Why? Because the quality of education is very low and many know this.

In one of the worst classes I took at Bangkok U (and out of 18 classes, only 5 were decent), I couldn't even understand the teacher's English at times and he occasionally couldn't understand mine--I'm a native English speaker with a clear accent! Other classes were just absurdly poor quality. I know that I could have gotten a better education in another country and that is kind of regrettable now. Yet, I did something that most have not done and this may have helped me to get into my master program. There are advantages and disavantages.

I know a few years ago there was an IT program through an American university that was connected with a small university in Thailand. Now, this IT program is not offered. But to be totally honest, I wouldn't recommend getting any IT degree through a Thai school unless for some reason they have a connection with a western university and that you get a western degree.

Look at alternatives...Who knows there might be something out there. Anyhow, if you are really interested in ABAC or another school, I advise you to sit in a few classes (not just one) and see for yourself. Also, give some thought to the fact that a degree in Thailand doesn't mean that much outside of Thailand. You're best bet is to find a program in Thailand that will offer you a western degree in IT. Things change all of the time, so you might find something. If not, open your mind and see if another country can offer you that in Asia.

Good luck...

anna , this has got to be the best comment i have seen to remind people we are not all the same and dont think the same:

We cannot say who is right 'coz everyone's way is different. If all of the ppl walk in the same way, I guess there will be a disastrous 'traffic jam'.

i'm printing it out and pasting it on my door at the zoo :D:o and putting one on the door to the main office to remind the three crazy ladies working there of said facts.....

youve made my morning....

anna , this has got to be the best  comment i have seen to remind people we are not all the same and dont think the same:

We cannot say who is right 'coz everyone's way is different. If all of the ppl walk in the same way, I guess there will be a disastrous 'traffic jam'.

i'm printing it out and pasting it on my door at the zoo  :D  :D    and putting one on the door to the main office to remind the three crazy ladies working there of said facts.....

youve made my morning....

Thanks. :o Pls dont forget plus my name Anna. hehe

I would definitely suggest that you go back to a western school for an undergraduate degree. I dont have much experience with the undergrad programs in Thailand but a bachelors degree is a preliminary degree. Without a strong knowledge of the Thai language, it isnt that realistic or practical to try to do your undergrad program in Thailand.

My girlfriend went to Thammasat for her undergrad degree, and law school. She did a semester abroad for law school at Stanford where I met her. Than she returned to Thailand and completed her legal studies. She is currently attending Chulalongkorn for her MBA degree. This program is taught in english and would probably be a good idea if one already possesses a bachelors degree. There are many many foreign students in her class. I have visited her school and for all the negative comments I have heard regarding Thai Universities, I have to say they do not accurately describe the graduate students at Chulalongkorn that I observed. I spent alot of time with her on a group project marketing little home gadgets to Singapore. All but one of the members in her group have a full-time job, and after working all day, they go to school in the evening. These students are serious about their education, very prepared for their daily assignments, and diligent in their studies. Most of them are from middle-class or upper-middle class backgrounds but there is certainly no atmosphere of entitlement or privilege in my experience. As a matter of fact, I would say that Stanford law school has a far greater air of entitlement from the student body than my girlfriend's school.

The students at Chula and Thammassat are extremely envious of us westerners who attended tier one schools in USA.

Universities in the west are great, but there are quite a few westerners who are not rich and don't come from priveledged families to pave the way for them.

As I stated before, my brother studied for a BA in international business at ABAC

and is now working in a very good company in the US. He just could not afford the sky high tuition fees, books and monthly expenses. So, it was either stay in the US and work a piss job without going to school or go to Thailand, work a little part time and study for a business degree.

If you have the money, heck ya, go to Harvard, Yale, Cambridge, Stanford! Live it up!