Apple Mac To Get Or Not

noctambule

vam-pire

As far as I know you can't buy built-to-order (BTO) Macs here. They're only available from Apple's own (online) stores or larger retailers. For RAM you can add it yourself and do not need to buy it from Apple.

For upgrades there is a certified Apple Service Centre in Bangkok (near-ish to Sathorn I believe), and they will guarantee any work they do. Any Apple re-seller should be able to put you in touch with them.

chanchao

Safari and Mail are Apple-made apps that come free with the OS. You are right that other (free) browsers will handle RSS feeds, but with Mail you appear to be comparing an app that works on the POP3 / IMAP protocol (and allows the features to be used with already-downloaded emails) with a web-based email account (gmail). A fairer comparison would be between Mail and Outlook / Thunderbird.

For me, the whole package of the Mac, its OS and apps make it much more appealing to use than Windows. It's only after one uses it for a while that the real benefits can be assessed (IMHO). The simple fact of it being basically virus and spyware free is enough to convince many Windows users to switch.

But the bottom line is, as you say, if you are content with Windows / your current OS then good. I was just happy to be able to leave Micro$oft and Windows behind, and unless something happens to make the Mac less appealing, I doubt I will ever switch back.

"And with very few exceptions, every Mac owner everywhere on the planet simply looks at all this viral chaos and spyware noise and Microsoft apologia and shrugs. And smiles. And pretty much ignores it all outright, and gets back to work. "

:o That was a great read! Thanks for sharing the link, mgnewman.

Incidentaly, another 'big' patching week lies ahead for those Windows stalwarts- 13 Patches for Windoze -get your patches updated before the malware slams you DOA in cyberspace.

Edited by GoodHeart