Royal Thai Medals

HenryP

My father was granted 2 medals by the king of THailand in 2000. My father gave them to me since he doesnt particularly have any interest in such things.

I did some research on the internet and i identified them as "The most exulted order of the white elephant" and the other one is called "The most noble order of the crown of THailand". They are very beautiful and I would like to find out more about them, unfortunately all the useful information on the web appears to be in Thai. Do any members of TV know anything about these medals? Are they valuable? Why would they be given to a non-Thai commoner like my father? Would it be legal for me to wear them (since I am the son of the person they were conferred to) to formal functions in Thailand wear I see Thai people wearing them? Are there any privileges associated with wearing them?

I asked my father, but he knows even less than I do about the significance of these deorations?

Any information would be greatly appreciated.

My father was granted 2 medals by the king of THailand in 2000.  My father gave them to me since he doesnt particularly have any interest in such things.

I did some research on the internet and i identified them as "The most exulted order of the white elephant" and the other one is called "The most noble order of the crown of THailand".  They are very beautiful and I would like to find out more about them, unfortunately all the useful information on the web appears to be in Thai.  Do any members of TV know anything about these medals?  Are they valuable?  Why would  they be given to a non-Thai commoner like my father?  Would it be legal for me to wear them (since I am the son of the person they were conferred to) to formal functions in Thailand wear I see Thai people wearing them?  Are there any privileges associated with wearing them?

I asked my father, but he knows even less than I do about the significance of these deorations?

The Order of the White Elephant is indeed a prestigious award and your father must have done something of great value to the Thais to receive it. It can be awarded to foreigners, The ex PM of Aussie Paul Keating was given the award for his efforts in the construction of the Friendship Bridge.

I dont know of the value in a monetary sense or the rights of sons to wear them, Would suggest you ask your father who conferred the award on him and then ask that person or his department for any further info.

My father was granted 2 medals by the king of THailand in 2000.  My father gave them to me since he doesnt particularly have any interest in such things.

I did some research on the internet and i identified them as "The most exulted order of the white elephant" and the other one is called "The most noble order of the crown of THailand".  They are very beautiful and I would like to find out more about them, unfortunately all the useful information on the web appears to be in Thai.  Do any members of TV know anything about these medals?  Are they valuable?  Why would  they be given to a non-Thai commoner like my father?  Would it be legal for me to wear them (since I am the son of the person they were conferred to) to formal functions in Thailand wear I see Thai people wearing them?  Are there any privileges associated with wearing them?

Here is a site you can go to

www.cabinet.thaigov.go.th/eng/d_menu33.htm

this will give you the department that could answer your questions.