Fence For Dogs

Pierrot

I'm looking to fence 1 to 2 rais to keep dogs INSIDE. The reason is I don’t want them to be too promiscuous with the locals. Any suggestion ? And what would be the right size for the land? We are talking about two youngs (1 year old) G Retrievers, very healthy, excellent swimmers.

A friend has enclosed the garden around his house with a 5' high concrete block wall, he needed to add three strings of barbwire on top and still one of his dogs manages to get out, one of them is a jumper.

I am looking at a combination of low level mesh for dog escape with barbwire midway up for cattle and trees etc to make the whole fence less offensive to the eye.

Keeping dogs in is easy. Keeping dogs out is difficult and expensive.

That will be the job of the "man of the house" :o . We found a suitable male nearby and we want to keep them together for while, to get one or two litters before the "operation".

Any fence would have to be 1.5mt+ high and at least 30 cm below ground. A dog who smells "Pammy" on the other side, won't give up. :D good luck.

Regards.

We're looking for something not too ugly, it will be in our front yard. But we don't want a cage, we like our dogs, we want them to have some kind of decent living space.

Thanks for your advises :D

I used to keep several pointers (females) and used a 5 1/2 foot woven wire with a hot wire (electric ) about 4 inches up from ground and another hot wire on top about 6 inch above woven wire. Used Steel posts on a 15 foot spacing with corner braces. Total area was about 100 foot by 30 foot, with dog shelters etc. Only time they were out was training and hunting. This combo kept them in when in season and kept potential fathers out. Dog will climb a chain link or woven wire fence, jump over and dig under if possible, mine did all of this prior to electric wire being installed.. good luck

google for 'kennel run' fencing;

there is actually a standard for size/width of wire slats if u use wire fencing so paws and noses dont get caught thru. also, from personal experience, if there are dogs out, then the first meter or so of fence should be solid material to prevent thru the fence skirmishes... and as cuban pointed out, under ground also, as majority of retriever types dig dig dig and males will do anything at all to get to a bitch in heat; they are not monogomous. plus all the romeos from outside will want to get in. goldens arent likely as jumpers but outside dogs could be.

1.fence has to be with no protrusions (wires etc) to catch on dog trying to get to outside dogs.

rustproof. not sure if wood is so wonderful in thailand as treated wood is poisonous and dogs chew fences

2.a gate that opens IN to the fenced in area so that dogs jumping on gate cant open it outwards (and teach your dogs not to rush the gate when u do open it.)

3.a dog proof fastener for the gate that u can lock to prevent people from releasing your dogs. (all of this from experience, not neccessarily thailand but same same).

i suspect that any size will do for a golden as most goldens seem to get lazy and dont run/excercise on their own, but will lounge around in a shady cool patch of dirt for the most part. a childs baby pool with water could be good for them to lounge in; a tire or ball hung from a tree branch to grab and play with; a raised shady area (like a sala would be perfect) as dogs like to sit high up a bit to see the surrounding areas. area cleared of junk that could have snakes lurking.

access to lots of clean drinking water like a bucket hung on an S hook

someone to run around in the yard with them...

bina

israel

Take the above posters seriously and don't shortcut the excellent suggestions. I took over a 10 rai farm and had to repair/replace 500 meters of fencing to keep my dogs in and neighbor dogs out. Since the price of 1.5 meter chainlink was quoted at 120 baht per linear meter, I tried to shortcut with 1" mesh fencing and barbed wire. It didn't hold up and I was constantly patching the fencing and filling the dig holes. It's expensive to do it right, but it will save you a lot of grief. don

Electric cattle fencing ? - would work out alot cheaper than the cost of a solid 4' - 5' ash/breeze block wall been constructed around the property perimeter.

Alternatively, it could be installed/used as an additional "support" in conjunction with a lighter fence type construction (e.g. 3 or 4 strands spaced 4" - 6" vertically 2 or 3' from the fence on your land side of the fence - would ensure none of the local kids get a shocking experiance).

Dogs learn very quickly to keep back from it!!!

Electric cattle fencing ? - would work out alot cheaper than the cost of a solid 4' - 5' ash/breeze block wall been constructed around the property perimeter.

Alternatively, it could be installed/used as an additional "support" in conjunction with a lighter fence type construction (e.g. 3 or 4 strands spaced 4" - 6" vertically 2 or 3' from the fence on your land side of the fence - would ensure none of the local kids get a shocking experiance).

Arent electric fences illegal in Thailand?

Arent electric fences illegal in Thailand?

Nope - livestock farmers use them up and down the country - what may be illegal is their use as a security system i.e. there could be all sorts of paperwork to do if some poor hoodlum was found tangled up in a perimeter fence after trying to break into your property - which is why I suggested it is run parrellel to an exsisting fence, and inside of that fence (i.e. no direct public contact).

All they are is a strand (or strands) of wire supported on fibreglass or wooden sticks stuck into the ground around a perimeter, powered by a car battery through a voltage converter (up the voltage and drop the amperage). The voltages come out around 2000 - 3000volts, but the energy levels are next to nothing - variable from around 0,1 joules to around 2joules. 0,1 joules will be plenty plenty to stop any dog (2 joules will stop a water buffulo)

• 3 weeks later...

Try some of the chain link fence price was more this year 1700 baht 10 meters 1 &1/2 meters high 2400 baht 2 meters high.

Remember to fill in any low spots as most dogs are great diggers. This is our newest adventure. The barb wire is for the Kamoies not the dogs. And if you decide to use barb wire on the bottom use regular wire at the bottom. Our golden retriever snagged his muscle in his eye on the lowest line in the upper gardens. I removed it immediately as the barb wire on the upper portion is just to keep the honest looky loo's out from free shopping excursions!

It came out great. Next time I will weld it myself but this time I was to busy building an aqueduct for excessive flooding.And 130+94 meters was only 26000 baht labor.

Barry

post-32440-1242500337_thumb.jpg

• 1 month later...
I'm looking to fence 1 to 2 rais to keep dogs INSIDE. The reason is I don’t want them to be too promiscuous with the locals. Any suggestion ? And what would be the right size for the land? We are talking about two youngs (1 year old) G Retrievers, very healthy, excellent swimmers.

By all mean do the fence, and please take an extra step and do the spading thing.

Edited by BigSnake

• 7 months later...
I used to keep several pointers (females) and used a 5 1/2 foot woven wire with a hot wire (electric ) about 4 inches up from ground and another hot wire on top about 6 inch above woven wire. Used Steel posts on a 15 foot spacing with corner braces. Total area was about 100 foot by 30 foot, with dog shelters etc. Only time they were out was training and hunting. This combo kept them in when in season and kept potential fathers out. Dog will climb a chain link or woven wire fence, jump over and dig under if possible, mine did all of this prior to electric wire being installed.. good luck

Hot wire ( electric fence).............way to go !

Was reading on the farming section on the other forum that's banned here...

Somebody (don't remember who) had the idea about some landscaping with bouganvilleae since him/her said it had a lot of long thorns.

The idea was like this:

Barb wire fence with strands of wire in an irregular pattern between the different barb wires so the bouganvilleae could climb and form a natural spiky defense.