Drug Disposal?

wpcoe

I was prompted to start this thread by a comment in another thread that a person decided the medication s/he had wasn't working, so the pills were flushed down the toilet.

I know in the USA that there are recovery programs for unwanted/expired meds (I think you take them to a pharmacy?) for disposal. The problem is that by flushing them down the toilet all sorts of chemicals are introduced into the environment, and if they are tossed in the trash they can end up in a landfill and leach directly into the ground water. I read where there are municipal water supplies with levels of hormones (for one example) much higher than recommended.

So, what should I do with the increasing supply of outdated/unwated pills that I have? With the propensity of Thai doctors to overmedicate, I often decide after getting home and doing online research that I do not want to take all the stuff they prescribe. I'm reluctant to toss them in the trash or flush them away (I'm pretty sure my condo has a waste water septic leach field so the chemicals could well soak down to the water table).