Certificate Of Residence

I went with my Phuyai Ban to the Nai Amphoe of Meuang Yasothon, who typed up and signed, at no charge, a statement ID'ing me by passport number and giving my address. That was good enough to get me a one-year license, which was replaced by a five-year license when it expired. I did give my Phuyai Ban gas money.

I went with my Phuyai Ban to the Nai Amphoe of Meuang Yasothon, who typed up and signed, at no charge, a statement ID'ing me by passport number and giving my address. That was good enough to get me a one-year license, which was replaced by a five-year license when it expired. I did give my Phuyai Ban gas money.

okay so another amphoe office granting Certs of residence

If i do obtain one of these Certificates am i right in assuming it only lasts 30 days before i can no longer apply for a Thai driving licence?

In which case i would first have to apply for an International driving licence in my home country which no doubt would take longer to obtain...

however tomorrow i need to collect my new vehicle and have no idea how i will transfer it in my name without this certificate which is needed, and if i do obtain it cannot use it to get the thai driving licence without the Intl one which may take longer than 30 days.

Gotta love the fuzzy logic of Thailand - I think being illegal = living longer (less stress) its no wonder this place is so corrupt... im feeling the urges already!

okay so another amphoe office granting Certs of residence

If i do obtain one of these Certificates am i right in assuming it only lasts 30 days before i can no longer apply for a Thai driving licence?

In which case i would first have to apply for an International driving licence in my home country which no doubt would take longer to obtain...

however tomorrow i need to collect my new vehicle and have no idea how i will transfer it in my name without this certificate which is needed, and if i do obtain it cannot use it to get the thai driving licence without the Intl one which may take longer than 30 days.

Gotta love the fuzzy logic of Thailand - I think being illegal = living longer (less stress) its no wonder this place is so corrupt... im feeling the urges already!

It was not at an Amphoe. He got a letter from the village head. It is unlikely you would get one in Bangkok.

Also you don't have to have an international licence to drive in Thailand if your licence is in English. Or to get a Thai drivers licence. You just need a translation of it for that.

That would be great of its true ubonJoe, i have a old green paper UK driving licence... I have read that in smaller provinces the excuse of saying ' i wouldnt be applying for a thai drivers licence if i had an international one' HAS WORKED!

But here in Bangkok with the following post, im not sure anymore.... i have read its necessary to have both licences these days... again lots of holes and missinformtaion floating about on this. hence we need seperate topics targeting different areas and the latest requirements.

well i just found this post from the motor forum

Just called the Dept of Land Transportation's Head Office in Bangkok and they stated that they no longer accept a letter from Immigration when applying for or renewing a Thai driver's license. YOU NEED TO GET A LETTER OF RESIDENCY IN THAILAND FROM YOUR EMBASSY. But please note you do not need such a letter that is very costly from your embassy if you have a valid work permit that states your current address.

So, to get your new 5 year Thai license, you also need to have 2 1" photos, a copy of your passport, and your old, expired Thai license.

Perhaps others will have different expriences but this was what I was told from two different officers I talked to.

Also, one has 1 full year to apply to extend one's expired 1 year license. Make sure you go get your license a day after it expires to ensure you get a 5 year licence!

anyone can confirm this? or beg to differ?

The Goal posts move even further in this post in the motoring forum...

Again anyone have proof of this for bangkok 2009?

Hi Crossy. When I was told that the Dept of Land and Transport will only accept a letter from the local Amphur I queried this with the head man of the office. There was nobody higher.

He said that they had a new ruling from Local Government only to accept a Residence letter from another local government office ie The Amphur, there being nobody else.

He said that they no longer accept the Immigration form become it does not list your address, only that you are resident in Thailand. He said that they no longer accept an Embassy letter because they 'do not trust' foreign Embassies documents. Make of that what you will!!!

So for me the only option was to get one from my local Amphur. Now they have done one and have a copy for future reference I anticipate no future problems,(famous last words?).

In my experience, getting a letter of residence from your big city Amphur is quite easy as they are generally used to the request from farang for licenses and car purchases.

Should be zero cost too, no money requested yesterday.

I also asked what if I was listed in my wifes house book as a tenent at the house. I was told that I would still need the letter.

Wifey has just phoned her friend at the Dept of Land and Transport and asked what if I had a work permit( I dont). They said I would still need the letter!

Crossy, I dont doubt that you know the rules etc, it's just that nobody sticks to them do they?

Oh well at least the license is sorted for another 5 years.

For anyone still struggling to find info on the driving licence requirements and IDP stuff

Thanks to ubonjoe this post is excellent:

Well, I finally got my act together and found the time to go and get my licences (car & bike - first application). Big thanks again to jackbox, bangkokrick & fruit for all the helpful info.

Here's what happened:

Went to the JJ office, despite the fact I live in the area covered by the On Nut office. This wasn't an issue whatsoever. I chose this office on the advice of a few people who told me they'd had much better experiences here.

Arrived around 9.30am. Went straight up to the 2nd floor information desk, where they gave me the following piece of paper. Here's what it said (verbatim):

Thai Driving Licence By Yourself

1. Passport with Visa (original and photocopy)

2. Original present resident address in Thailand certify from embassy OR immigration office OR work permit with original and photocopy.

3.Original medical certificate (5 diseases form) from clinic OR hospital (not more than 1 month)

4. Original and photocopy of:

International Driving Licence (in convention of 1949 OR 1968) OR

Local Driving Licence (translation to English or Thai Language and certify from embassy)

If you are qualified in No.4 you have to take a reaction test

If you are disqualified in No. 4 you have to take a test:

- Training 2 hours

- Written test

- Reaction test

- Driving test

Fee: Car 205 baht Motorcycles 155 baht

Went to the desk immediately behind if you're standing facing the info desk where they make photocopies for 1 baht.

Made 2 copies of the following (one for the car licence, one for the bike):

Passport info page

Visa page (Non-immi ED)

Permission to stay stamp page (has just over 2 months remaining)

My full UK driving licence (valid for cars only, not motorbikes - actually one copy, but both sides)

One copy of these (they keep the originals, so they count as one copy - I copied them for the motorbike licence, if you're not applying for this, you don't need to copy them):

Letter from British Embassy confirming address

Medical Certificate

Signed all the copies. There's nothing they like better than signed copies of stuff.

Went back to the info desk where they had a look through the photocopies and gave me 2 forms and a ticket to desk 17 (the desk for 'foreigners'). You don't have to fill out the actual forms, since this must be done in Thai and they do it for you, but there are definitely some kind of forms, but nothing to be concerned about.

Waited about 20 minutes to see the woman at desk 17. Despite it being the desk for 'foreigners,' she spoke no English whatsoever. I can speak basic Thai, so could manage on my own. If you don't speak any Thai and you're applying for a licence and don't have to do any kinds of tests (since you're exempt by way of producing your home country's licence) and your paperwork is entirely correct, you should be okay. However, anything more complicated than this and I would definitely say bring someone along who can speak Thai, since after this things quickly get quite confusing and in my experience no-one there speaks a word of English.

She went through my documents and told me I was fine (with my full UK licence - I didn't produce an IDP or any kind of International Driving Licence and my licence had in no way been 'certified from embassy') for the car licence (no tests required). As I suspected, and as others have mentioned in this thread, she told me I'd have to go through the whole test procedure for the motorbike licence from scratch.

She gave me 2 slips of paper - each, I believe, represents your progress through the system for each respective licence - and sent me up to the 3rd floor where I was sent straight in to do the colourblindness test (chart on the wall - pretty straightforward). Passed this and was called over to another desk to do what I would describe as some kind of peripheral vision test where you're required to put your face in this machine and focus your eyes on a coloured disk. Without moving your eyes from the disk in front (I got told off for this) you have to call out the colours that appear on either side of your eyes. Passed this and was sent up another floor for the 'written' part of the test. There was no 'reaction test,' although the equipment for it was there. Maybe they just forgot, or didn't have the staff (the room it was in was empty with the lights turned off).

Arrived there and was given a book to look at, but after a couple of minutes (didn't get past the second page and hadn't prepared in any way whatsoever, so I was starting to flap a bit at this point) I was called in to do the test. All done on computer. Multiple choice, 30 questions. I'm sure the instructions said 30 minutes allowed, but I appeared to get 60 (maybe they took pity on me). Most of them are fairly obvious if you're an experienced driver, but some of them are pretty bizzare in the translation and the content and they just completely throw you e.g. questions about whether tanks/racing cars are allowed on public roads and some very unclear animations with arrows pointing in 15 different directions. Assuming you have time, you can go back through the whole test and change any answers as many times as you want. If you can, definitely try and get hold of some kind of book in advance to look at (no idea where you can get such a thing). Anyway, I passed this and was told to head down to the driving test area outside for the practical.

By the time I arrived down there they had closed for lunch (11.45-12.45), so ate something at the little restaurant next to the 'track.' Pretty good actually. They opened up the doors at 12.45 and about 30 people piled in. They took registration for the car test first, then bikes, with everyone given the usual laminated numbered card. I guess there were about 20 of us for the bike test and I ended up last, since I couldn't be arsed to run to the counter. Went next door with the whole group to watch an 'instructional video,' which was cancelled after about 30 seconds, presumably because no-one could be bothered to watch it and the girl took us back next door to pay for the bike hire (50 bht - cars can be hired for 100 bht). Went outside where it was explained (entirely in Thai) what was expected of us: drive thorough a bendy road thing without falling off; drive along a surprisingly narrow raised concrete thing without stopping/putting your feet down/coming off the concrete thing; make your way through some small mock-up 'streets' observing the stop signs, indicating, observing the general rules of the road etc. It was all fairly simple, except the raised concrete bit, which was surprisingly tricky, particularly as I had a bike with a sticky throttle. After 3 rubbish attempts at this, and assuming I'd failed, the guy in charge of this bit (really top man) told me to go and change bikes, which I did and completed this without further incident. The rest was very simple. I would say though, if you haven't been on a bike for a while (as I haven't, apart from a few days on Koh Chang a few weeks back), it's probably worth practicing for the 'raised concrete bit' if you don't want to make an arse of yourself the first couple of times (as I did).

Went back inside the office and was given my passport and bit of paper back and sent back to the 2nd floor of the main building. Another ticket for desk 17 which was now mobbed, but I was shunted to one of the 'non-foreigner' desks, apparently because I 'spoke Thai,' which is news to me, though I couldn't help but be secretly a bit pleased by this comment (which wasn't even made to me but from the lady at desk 17 to another woman). Picture taken, 260 bht paid (compare this to the 2,380 bht I paid to the British Embassy for one piece of paper - THANKS BRITISH EMBASSY FOR YOUR INCREDIBLE BARGAINS) and 2 licences issued, one of which had to be taken off for the inevitable photocopy and brought back.

The whole process took nearly 4 hours (with an hour for lunch), but I've got to say that all the people up at that office without one exception are the happiest, friendliest, most polite, helpful, funny, charming and all round excellent bunch of government workers I've ever met. They should send all the immigration people there for training as a matter of law. They really are a credit to this city and, particularly if you're feeling a bit jaded, might even remind you of all the things you love about this country and its people .

Anyway, hope this helps out. It's quite an experience going through the whole process, one I was dreading. But one I can say - and this is entirely down to the people up there - to my immense surprise, I actually ended up quite enjoying.

mk

The biggest concern so it seems still remains....

How does one obtain the CERTIFICATE OF RESIDENCE?

Where does one obtain it?

and if Suan Pluu are still issuing the certificate of residence (which reportedly takes 2 weeks to arrive at your house)

when the certificate of residence os used to apply for a Thai drivers licence? will it be knocked back?

I guess paying 2200 baht is the only way to avoid all of the above...

BUT i would love for some enlightened and recently successful soul to prove this otherwise....

Imagine paying for this document twice when we go through the whole riga again next year to renew.... only 4400 baht for 2 pieces of paper from the british embassy... is it really worth it?

The solution they gave me was this. My girlfriend is on her mother's house book in Uthai Thani. So they said I could put my name on there as well. I only needed to go to Uthai Thani in person to apply for that at the local tambon. And there they would give me a certificate of residence (which of course wouldn't match with where I'm actually living).

If they can get your name on the Blue Tabien Bahn then that will solve your problems.

No need for residency certs, just a photo copy of the Tabien Bahn.

(I am very doubtful if this can be done, but worth a try.)

The same applies to Condo owners with a Yellow Bahn

no need for a special residence certificate.

hmmm i dont think the chinese landlors will put my name on there books unless they sold the house to me....

I actually just lost out because i didnt get a clear answer in time so they just transferred it into my girlfriends name today. Ofcourse i didnt want them to as we are very close to a big break up, hence i bought the pick up to make a hasty escape. now she has figured that out as i am gunning to get it transferred from her name into mine....

its not a good day to be farang in this hel_l hole... now i have a truck i cant sell unless i stay with her..

GREAT!

I just deleted a post of yours in a topic that is over 15 months old asking the same questions you have asked in this topic.

Just go to immigration and try and get one or go to the embassy and pay 2040 baht to get one. Info for residency letters can be found on this page at embassy website.

http://ukinthailand.fco.gov.uk/en/help-for...ng-in-thailand/

"How does one obtain the CERTIFICATE OF RESIDENCE? Where does one obtain it?"

It's very complicated: you go to the nearest police station, and you ask for one. It is free.

You go to the Immigration Office with this form. It should be free. But quite often it is not.

"How does one obtain the CERTIFICATE OF RESIDENCE? Where does one obtain it?"

It's very complicated: you go to the nearest police station, and you ask for one. It is free.

You go to the Immigration Office with this form. It should be free. But quite often it is not.

With regards to the immigration office, which one did you go to?

Is it true that it takes 2 weeks to obtain with bangkok imm office?

when did you get yours because i have read it is only given out if you are reporting every 90 days

police stations? hmmmm is that where you got yours?.... the paper needs to be certified by the imm office for bangkok driving licences

With regards to the immigration office, which one did you go to?

Is it true that it takes 2 weeks to obtain with bangkok imm office?

when did you get yours because i have read it is only given out if you are reporting every 90 days

police stations? hmmmm is that where you got yours?.... the paper needs to be certified by the imm office for bangkok driving licences

I got mine from Immigration Khorat. It was free and took 10 minutes.

Originally I got one from Immigration in Samui for my one year license. I used my old green UK driving license to apply for the Thai one. Told them that it also included motorbikes so got a Car and Motorbike License.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi,

As Bangkok Suan Plu immigration office does not provide a certificate of residence when living here on a tourist visa do you know if the certificate of residence provided by embassy can be used to get a Thai driving license in Bangkok?

Which office? Chatuchak or Sukhumvit? As it seems that rules are not the same everywhere: I just read that you can get driving license in Pattaya with the certificate of residence that Jomtien immigration does even when you stay here with a tourist visa.

Thanks.

Hi,

As Bangkok Suan Plu immigration office does not provide a certificate of residence when living here on a tourist visa do you know if the certificate of residence provided by embassy can be used to get a Thai driving license in Bangkok?

Which office? Chatuchak or Sukhumvit? As it seems that rules are not the same everywhere: I just read that you can get driving license in Pattaya with the certificate of residence that Jomtien immigration does even when you stay here with a tourist visa.

Thanks.

As far as I know you cannot get a Thai Driving License with a Tourist Visa. You have to have a Non Imm Visa.

No doubt someone will come up with something different. :)

Hi,

Thanks.

As far as I know you cannot get a Thai Driving License with a Tourist Visa. You have to have a Non Imm Visa.

No doubt someone will come up with something different. :)

Yes, I know many people having a Thai driving license with a tourist visa in Phuket and Pattaya,

But i wonder if someone ever got one in Bangkok or if things really are more difficult here, or maybe just more expensive ;-)

Thanks to moderator also.

No problem to get Certificate of Residence in Phuket yesterday, on tourist visa (as always since I m not married, not working and not 50 yet). Needed 2, and this time for free :)

Passport and Tabien Baan with no recident.

An officer I havent seen before asked me this time why no resident in Tabien Baan, and I replyed because its my house.