Legitimate One Stop Source Of Building Information

kamalabob2

I have no connection with this trade show, I've only attended it in 2008, but it really is the BEST one stop source to pick up brochures in Thai and English on ANY sort of building product, either for a new home or remodel. It is being held this week April 28 to Sunday May 3rd at the large Challenger Halls of Impact in Bangkok. The admission really is free, but parking is not. They MIGHT have a shuttle van service for a nominal cost from the last BTS Station as was the case last year.

There are so many products to make for a safe, comfortable home in any price range that you do not often SEE displayed at your local Home Mart, Home Pro or builders merchant in Thailand, that in fact are available direct from the manufacturer or on special order from your local shop. This is the once a year show that you can see and handle so many different products, from steel, windows, roof tiles, drain vents, pipes, sanitary ware, electrical and plumbing fixtures, locks, hardware, flooring, EVERYTHING for a home, not all of it high end. Many of the booths have the "technical advisors" for those firms that speak and UNDERSTAND English and they will take the time to answer questions and give you business cards with e-mail and phone numbers for future questions.

I would have done things different for my rural home had I visited this show in 2007, but even towards the end of construction it was worthwhile for me to visit in 2008. Just one example is to compare rain gutters, PVC or Aluminum or Wood windows and doors from many suppliers.

This show is far superior in my opinion than the "captive" EXPO shows that the two major retailers sponsor in the same hall and/or at BITEC twice a year.

Here is a link to the web site for Architect Expo

http://www.architectexpo.com/arc/gallery.html

When I attended last year often I thought to myself "Heck I never knew this (pick a product) was readily available in Thailand, I never saw it before at Home Mart or in the Bangkok Post!!!"

Does anyone know of a similar big hardware store in BKK that offers lots of products to look at? I won't be around for this show. I'm looking for like the biggest store out there- I've been to a few homepros and their tile selection was really minimal.

Some Home Pro "free standing" branches have better selection than other branches inside a multistory Mall. Some Home Works have limited selections, some a decent selection. But a smaller chain with a serious wide selection of building items is

http://www.boonthavorn.com/

I was told by a lighting fixture vendor they have a wider selection of items on display at this chain, than they display at Home Pro and Home Works since this chain did not demand "slotting fees".

The above Boonthavorn have a large store on Rachadapisek Road just before Chaophya Park Hotel (going North) and there are other large tile/home stores next to it and across the street. So that is a good area to check. They mostly deal with contractors but have extensive retail displays.

Edited by lopburi3