Lawyer For Visa Work

tjcm

Hi guys,

Any suggestions for good lawyers for visa application. I want to apply for one year visa based on Thai dependents, I think I have all prerequisites covered but I just got quoted 25,000 Baht by a company in town which I thought was absolutely outrageous. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

tia

TJCM

I was going to refer you to a topic concerning a bad law firm so you could see if the quote came from the same company, but the entire topic has disappeared from Chiang Mai forum . I think if you take the paper work you have to immigration, tell them what you want to do, they will help you and you will not need to employ a lawyer. The rules and what is required are posted for your info also. I know several people in CM who are here on dependent support, and have no need for, nor ever used a lawyer. Yes, 25000 sounds outrageous to me also.

I was going to refer you to a topic concerning a bad law firm so you could see if the quote came from the same company, but the entire topic has disappeared from Chiang Mai forum . I think if you take the paper work you have to immigration, tell them what you want to do, they will help you and you will not need to employ a lawyer. The rules and what is required are posted for your info also. I know several people in CM who are here on dependent support, and have no need for, nor ever used a lawyer. Yes, 25000 sounds outrageous to me also.

Yes, go to immigration

Avoid Monday mornings if possible, dress smartly, be polite, smile, be fullyn prepared , get all the paperwork needed in a tidy folder or ask for a list and go back later.

And yes the useful thread has been taken out. there are two expat clubs inChiangmai and they will eventually direct you to lawyers too.

go to immigration

Totally agree with advice to go straight to immigration. No lawyers! There is also a lot of useful basic information on the web on the immigration site, and it is accurate information. However, note that the subjective judgment of immigration officials who interview you is an important thing to recognize. The senior ones have suffered through most if not all of the cons in the book.

I suggest you don't listen too hard to hard luck stories about immigration. Compared to other countries, I suggest that Thailand is extraordinarily tolerant of folks who wish to "settle" here. Just try what you want to do in the USA!!!!! Or the UK!!!! And other lovely spots to settle!

Re lawyers, you shouldn't need a lawyer on this matter! There is excellent published advice on legal matters, much better than anything you'll get from miscellaneous personal opinion anyway, even though some recommendations found on TV have been just fine.

I have posted on TV the titles of solid books and the web site of an actual English translation of the Thai Civil and Commercial Code that is quite reliable as far as that goes!!! Start with Thai Law for Foreigners from Paiboon Publishing. If you read that first you will at the very least be armed with solid information to ask the right sorts of questions about family law and immigration when interviewing lawyers, if you ever need one, and for some stuff you should use a good one. Look for www.paiboonpublishing.com It is in the good book stores.

The reason that lawyer threads are generally removed from TV is quite simply that those who own and run TV don't want to deal with harassment from lawyers who have nothing more to do, perhaps, than claim defamation, blah, blah, blah, perhaps to get some sort of settlement. Who needs that?!

I would add that one should be very cautious about recommendations from clubs.

Edited by Mapguy

I don't disagree with the posters who say go straight to immigration, that's what I've always done successfully, but I also understand that you may want a lawyer to help you get your case together. If you decide you want a lawyer, PM me for contact information of our lawyer Khun Suriya. I haven't used him for immigration but he has helped my wife with real estate and other issues and I know other clients of his who also swear by his honesty, efficiency and affordability. don

Why would anyone require the services of a lawyer for help with a visa application?

If the OP got quoted 25000 baht to help with a visa application, I will do it for 1000 baht, plus sit there and hold your hand while being interviewed by the officers.

Edited by sassienie

You definitely don't need a lawyer to help you with a visa application. I would take the advice of lopburi3 or one of the other extremely knowledgeable moderators in the Thai visas, residency and work permits forum on TV any day before I would engage the services of a shyster.

Oh by the way, 25,000 Baht to help with a visa application is cheap in comparison to what some shysters in Bangkok charge. A friend was paying 60,000 Baht to a BKK law firm for help with his visa until I convinced him he could do it on his own. I can guess the company in town I think.

Yes, go to immigration

Avoid Monday mornings if possible, dress smartly, be polite, smile, be fullyn prepared , get all the paperwork needed in a tidy folder or ask for a list and go back later.

And yes the useful thread has been taken out. there are two expat clubs inChiangmai and they will eventually direct you to lawyers too.

go to immigration

What a shame for that. That was one of the most informative posts I have read on here.

Yes, go to immigration

go to immigration

What a shame for that. That was one of the most informative posts I have read on here.

Yes, but as Mapguy says, tv needs to be careful. I also was warned off criticising a lawyer in cm.

Best go direct to immigration but if you need a lawyer for anything else try to get some recommendations from a thai friend and have them go with you. check prices and get a full contract of what they will and will not do. watch carefully all the time.

and as mapguy says avoid the clubs.

Yes, go to immigration

go to immigration

Yes, but as Mapguy says, tv needs to be careful. I also was warned off criticising a lawyer in cm.

Best go direct to immigration but if you need a lawyer for anything else try to get some recommendations from a thai friend and have them go with you. check prices and get a full contract of what they will and will not do. watch carefully all the time.

and as mapguy says avoid the clubs.

Go to immigration and ask what they want,you don't need a shyster. The post I put in was deleted probably because I used the lawyers name,OK,I have been looking at posts on a travel firm called MAU TOURS,only last week it changed its name,essential information,why can't the name of the law firm be used,a scam is a scam.I posted it because these people are dangerous and I wanted to know if anyone else had a problem with them,Please feel free to PM me for information.