Color Vision Test

Likeki

No, it's a test that has a rather large circle with a white background, superimposed on which are fairly small dots of colour. The inspector points to a dot with a pointer stick, and you are to tell him what the colour is. They only point to red, yellow, and green, so if you can distinguish those three, even by their shades of grey, you're home free.

If not, tea money would probably be the 'test passer' of choice. Pretty much no one fails.

No, it's a test that has a rather large circle with a white background, superimposed on which are fairly small dots of colour. The inspector points to a dot with a pointer stick, and you are to tell him what the colour is. They only point to red, yellow, and green, so if you can distinguish those three, even by their shades of grey, you're home free.

If not, tea money would probably be the 'test passer' of choice. Pretty much no one fails.

Well that's not the test I took. Both the ones I went through were the patches of colored dots with the numbers in a different color. If you have problems they person running the test often helps you out.

I'll never understand why they bother with a color blindness test as virtually no Thai driver has a clue what those red, amber and green lights are for anyway.

I have color vision issues. I can not see the numbers in the little circles. Is the color vision test the standard Ishihara Test for Color Blindness? What is my option if I can not pass?

Thanks

PM sent mate.

You'll pass.

I have color vision issues. I can not see the numbers in the little circles. Is the color vision test the standard Ishihara Test for Color Blindness? What is my option if I can not pass?

Thanks

PM sent mate.

You'll pass.

Nobody fails the Thai driving licence test. Part of the reason why it's not recognised in the UK and other developed countries

Thanks

PM sent mate.

You'll pass.

Nobody fails the Thai driving licence test. Part of the reason why it's not recognised in the UK and other developed countries

If you fail i think they just make you come back next day and you get another go ?

Thanks

PM sent mate.

You'll pass.

If you fail i think they just make you come back next day and you get another go ?

Yip.. :o

As far as I know I'm not colorblind as I have not the slightest problem to pass the test with the the colored balls on a white background but I remember having a problem to pass the test with the colored numbers on a colored background.

What could be the reason?

Another option to help you with the colour vision test, when I was doing my renewal earlier this year I was quite amused to observe a guy taking the same test. He had his girlfreind with him, she was holding his hand and prompting him.

The tester remarked something in Thai to the lady, whatever it was he still passed the test. Probably negotiating the tea money tariff.

geoffphuket. You are wrong there mate. You can indeed drive in the Uk and the US on a Thai licence. There was a bit about it in the Phuket post (or what ever they call it).

Allan

The Thai driving test is a joke! it is not accepted as a reason for the issue of a UK licence and if you hire and drive you had best make sure you are insured. :o

topdogger and kimera. please see the following that was taken from the 'direct.gov.uk' website.

Can you drive in Great Britain (GB) if your driving licence was issued in another country?

Conclusion

Driving licences issued in Northern Ireland (NI) or an EC/EEA Country

List of EC/EEA Countries: Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Czech Republic, Republic of Cyprus, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Ireland, Italy, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Slovenia, Slovakia, Spain, Sweden, United Kingdom.

* you can drive any category of vehicle shown on your driving licence as long as it remains full and valid

Driving licences issued in Jersey, Guernsey or the Isle of Man

* you can drive any small vehicle eg cars and or motorcycles, shown on your driving licence, for a period of 12 months from the date that you last entered the country, as long as it remains full and valid

* you can drive larger vehicles eg lorries and buses shown on your licence, whether British registered or registered outside of Great Britain (GB) that you have driven into the country

Driving licences issued in any other country

* you can drive any small vehicle eg cars and or motorcycles, shown on your driving licence, for a period of 12 months from the date that you last entered the country, as long as it remains full and valid

* you can only drive larger vehicles eg lorries and buses, shown on your licence, that have been registered outside of GB which you have driven into the country.

there ya go then boys, from the horses mouth so to speak. Kimera you are indeed correct about the issue of UK licence, just incorrect that you can't drive with a Thai one. after 12 months you either have to stop driving OR take the UK test.

Regards Allan

topdogger and kimera. please see the following that was taken from the 'direct.gov.uk' website.

Can you drive in Great Britain (GB) if your driving licence was issued in another country?

Conclusion

Driving licences issued in Northern Ireland (NI) or an EC/EEA Country

List of EC/EEA Countries: Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Czech Republic, Republic of Cyprus, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Ireland, Italy, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Slovenia, Slovakia, Spain, Sweden, United Kingdom.

* you can drive any category of vehicle shown on your driving licence as long as it remains full and valid

Driving licences issued in Jersey, Guernsey or the Isle of Man

* you can drive larger vehicles eg lorries and buses shown on your licence, whether British registered or registered outside of Great Britain (GB) that you have driven into the country

Driving licences issued in any other country

* you can only drive larger vehicles eg lorries and buses, shown on your licence, that have been registered outside of GB which you have driven into the country.

there ya go then boys, from the horses mouth so to speak. Kimera you are indeed correct about the issue of UK licence, just incorrect that you can't drive with a Thai one. after 12 months you either have to stop driving OR take the UK test.

Regards Allan

Wrong my friend better you read before you post ! I never said YOU could not drive with the Thai licence, I told YOU that YOU had best make sure YOU had insurance. YOU understand now. Please read carefully. :)

Thanks

PM sent mate.

You'll pass.

yes it is recognised in other countrys, my thai wife passed in thailand and is allowed to drive on uk roads for 12 months, so there !!!!!!

As far as I know I'm not colorblind as I have not the slightest problem to pass the test with the the colored balls on a white background but I remember having a problem to pass the test with the colored numbers on a colored background.

Being colourblind doesn't mean you can't see colours or can only see in black and white, it means that your eyes are more (or less) susceptible to one or more of the three primary colours. So a colourblind person still sees the same primary colours, but not at the same level of brightness as somebody who's not colourblind. For example I am red/green colour blind, I still see the same colour red as every body else but only at about 80% of the brightness whereas I see green much brighter (120%) than normal (but still the same colour) and I see blue normally. The problem with reading the numbers in the dots in the colourblind test is because they use secondary colours to colour the dots, so whenever there's a combination of two or all three of the primary colours used to make up the coloured dots the colourblind person will see a different shade to the non colourblind person and it's this that masks the 'hidden' number. Everybody can see the number on the example page of a colour blindness book because they only use primary colours for that.

We all see the red and green traffic lights the same but some of us see a different shade of amber.

And you can drive in the UK for twelve months using a Thai licence providing you also have an international driving permit issued in Thailand, although I have never known the UK police to either ask for the international permit or check somebodys passport to see how long they had been there. This has always seemed a stupid rule to me anyway, when you first arrive in the UK, and without any UK driving experience or knowledge of the standard of the test you took, the law says you ARE qualified to drive in the UK but after gaining a years experience (more time than the average person learns for) suddenly the law says you AREN'T good enough to drive.

Does that mean experience makes you a worse driver? :):D

Being colourblind doesn't mean you can't see colours or can only see in black and white, it means that your eyes are more (or less) susceptible to one or more of the three primary colours. So a colourblind person still sees the same primary colours, but not at the same level of brightness as somebody who's not colourblind. For example I am red/green colour blind, I still see the same colour red as every body else but only at about 80% of the brightness whereas I see green much brighter (120%) than normal (but still the same colour) and I see blue normally. The problem with reading the numbers in the dots in the colourblind test is because they use secondary colours to colour the dots, so whenever there's a combination of two or all three of the primary colours used to make up the coloured dots the colourblind person will see a different shade to the non colourblind person and it's this that masks the 'hidden' number. Everybody can see the number on the example page of a colour blindness book because they only use primary colours for that.

We all see the red and green traffic lights the same but some of us see a different shade of amber.

And you can drive in the UK for twelve months using a Thai licence providing you also have an international driving permit issued in Thailand, although I have never known the UK police to either ask for the international permit or check somebodys passport to see how long they had been there. This has always seemed a stupid rule to me anyway, when you first arrive in the UK, and without any UK driving experience or knowledge of the standard of the test you took, the law says you ARE qualified to drive in the UK but after gaining a years experience (more time than the average person learns for) suddenly the law says you AREN'T good enough to drive.

Thanks for the explanation Sumrit.I guess I will have to see an eye doctor soon trying to solve the problem.

Regarding the picture Carib posted,I don't have a problem with them except ball 5.Are you sure there is a number inside that one? :D

According to some tests I took on the internet I am colour blind but I passed the driving licence one no problem.

They also accepted my old style UK driving licence which is just a bit of paper issued over 30 years ago with no photo.

Thanks for the explanation Sumrit.I guess I will have to see an eye doctor soon trying to solve the problem.

Regarding the picture Carib posted,I don't have a problem with them except ball 5.Are you sure there is a number inside that one? :D

I don't know because I'm colourblind :D ...........but both my wife and daughter say there isn't. They say 1=25 2=29 3= 45 4=56 5=nothing 6=8

Each eye has thousands of red, green and blue receptors and it's the effectiveness of these that determine your colourblindness, so as far as I'm aware colourblindness can't be cured and a doctor or optition can only say if you are or aren't colourblind, although I wear glasses and have the lens tinted and that seems to help. The reddy/brown tinted 'driving glasses' that the optitions (used to) sell in the UK were primarily for anti glare but for me they also made the reds stand out more as well and I could read some of the clourblindness charts better than with clear lenses, still not good enough to pass the test though :D

There is, or was an optician in the UK[chester] who sold red tinted contact lens forhelping to overcome colour blindness. Just wearing one in the left eye. I am also red/green deficient and when i tried the tinted lens i couldnt believe the difference in the colours of red and green. This was about 15 or more years ago. I relised why red was the colour for danger, it was so impressive to me and really stood out from the other colours. Green came out darker than what i was used to and the variations in shades in a garden and forest was so amazing. But also a number of other colour/shades changed somewhat as well.

Wearing the red tinted lens i could pick out all the right answers on the colour test, something i cannot normally do.

I have tried the colour test in Thailand a few years ago but I couldnt pick out the pin pricks of colour and my gf at the time was admonished for trying to help me. They did decline any tea money as well at the centre. So I have driven on Uk license for 7 years. Maybe i should try again as my uk license expires soon.

I have been coloured blind all my life , you cannot cure it, I have heard in America you can buy special glasses which help -you see the colours. A friend who is coloured blind tried them and said the difference was amazing, you see a much more colourful world. I have over the years applied for jobs but was refused based on my colour blindness which I think is bordering on a form of discrimination, eg. telecom cables,if I had to sit and fix a telephone line junction box I would be there for a couple of years. I see only 1 no. in test,that was 25 in box no.1

Edited by thommo46

I have been coloured blind all my life , you cannot cure it, I have heard in America you can buy special glasses which help -you see the colours. A friend who is coloured blind tried them and said the difference was amazing, you see a much more colourful world. I have over the years applied for jobs but was refused based on my colour blindness which I think is bordering on a form of discrimination, eg. telecom cables,if I had to sit and fix a telephone line junction box I would be there for a couple of years. I see only 1 no. in test,that was 25 in box no.1

Just to clarify....colour blindness is very very rare....you are colour deficient, most likley Red/Green deficient...you can see colours...yes ?...red/green deficiency effects 1 in 3 to 1 in 4 males...so pretty common...

Red tinted lens, (yes there is a real use for those rosey coloured spectacles some TV posters have on about Thailand) do actually work or e get copies of the colour plates used for the test and memorise the plate number and answer....I have used both methods over the years...

And advantage of a person with Red/green deficency is that they can see cammo netting a lot easier as well, so persons with R/G deficency are used in the military

Wrong my friend better you read before you post ! I never said YOU could not drive with the Thai licence, I told YOU that YOU had best make sure YOU had insurance. YOU understand now. Please read carefully. :)

Don't you always need insurance? What does the nationality of your license have to do with insurance or not? :D

TH

• 4 months later...