Dross

ProfessorFart

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a softback copy of A Woman Of Bangkok" if anyone is interested in buying. PM me.

Private Dancer may not be great literature, but I agree with RDN that it is nearly required reading for the clueless newbie to LOS. I personally enjoyed it very much.

Cheers, Paul. It was never meant to be literature, just a good read....

For anyone who doesn't know already, Private Dancer is now in print and on sale at all Bookazine branches, or on-line at www.dcothai.com.

Hey Stephen - I downloaded it from the web a couple of years ago for free - can I get it autographed?

Cheeky! I'd rather sign a copy of the book, at least I get royalties from it!

Seriously, I'm off to the UK tomorrow for two months, back in April. Hopefully we'll be ready for the second edition by then and we're planning a launch party for it, probably in Pattaya but if not in Hollywood Strip in Nana. Bring it along then and I'll sign it. Might be worth smething one day!

I even got my xeroed copy properly bound too !

I still have the original Daily Mail article (in which of course he doesn't die). The "red Izuzu" has become a metaphor among my mates for greedy thai girls.

In the article, after shafting her with the expensive party and 'walking off the reservation' he says something like

'wonder if she ever misses me...because I really miss her.

Best closing lines.

Hmmmm.... while I'm all in favour of free speech, Dr John, wouldn't it be better to hold off pontificating until you've actually read it....

How about if one has read it and still thinks its bilge?

I have read it and I think it is total carp.....it just takes the stereotypical view of farang and Bar girl relationships as told by some the guys that have had bitter experiences and cant get over them. Mr Leather and his ilk should try writing about the relationships that have worked.....but probably not sensationalist enough for them. Bulldust sells more books than truth.

I also think it is strange that this thread was opened and Lo and Behold we have a new member calling himself "I wrote it" and purporting to be the author....What a coincidence....

ps You should screenplay this. Jake Anthony is touting around a script of Sleepless in Bangkok - apparently its garbage)

Yeah, I wrote a screenplay version of Private Dancer years ago but never sold it. Very different.... Pete takes Joy back to the UK, it doesn't work out and she returns to Bangkok. He doesn't die at the end, Joy visits him in hospital (after he gets shot) and the cycle starts again....

He doesn't die at the end, Joy visits him in hospital (after he gets shot) and the cycle starts again....

Ahhh... protecting the "franchise" by leaving the door open for the movie sequel (Return of the Son of the Bride of Private Dancer?). :o

Hmmmm.... while I'm all in favour of free speech, Dr John, wouldn't it be better to hold off pontificating until you've actually read it....

I have read it and I think it is total carp.....it just takes the stereotypical view of farang and Bar girl relationships as told by some the guys that have had bitter experiences and cant get over them. Mr Leather and his ilk should try writing about the relationships that have worked.....but probably not sensationalist enough for them. Bulldust sells more books than truth.

I also think it is strange that this thread was opened and Lo and Behold we have a new member calling himself "I wrote it" and purporting to be the author....What a coincidence....

I don't agree that it's 'carp' - I think its a cut above most of the Bangkok bar books, for no other reason than it gives the Thai point of view, especially the views of Sunan, Joy's sister, and the thai private eye. Not sensationalist, just sad. I was originally gonna call it The Sad ######s...

Anyway, it's now on sale at Bookazine, or online at www.dcothai.com.

OK, I have to pack my suitcase. Anyone who doesn't believe it's me can go to my website www.stephenleather.com and send me an email through it. I'll email you back and tell you not to be so suspicious!

Happy Year Of The Cock to you all!

Stephen

I even got my xeroed copy properly bound too !

I still have the original Daily Mail article (in which of course he doesn't die). The "red Izuzu" has become a metaphor among my mates for greedy thai girls.

In the article, after shafting her with the expensive party and 'walking off the reservation' he says something like

'wonder if she ever misses me...because I really miss her.

Best closing lines.

I'll bring along my photocopied version for signing - and your 100 baht royalty fee !!!

oh dear , a smitten fan !

Edited by taxexile

I don't agree that it's 'carp' - I think its a cut above most of the Bangkok bar books, for no other reason than it gives the Thai point of view, especially the views of Sunan, Joy's sister, and the thai private eye. Not sensationalist, just sad. I was originally gonna call it The Sad ######s...

Anyway, it's now on sale at Bookazine, or online at www.dcothai.com.

OK, I have to pack my suitcase. Anyone who doesn't believe it's me can go to my website www.stephenleather.com and send me an email through it. I'll email you back and tell you not to be so suspicious!

Happy Year Of The Cock to you all!

Stephen

The format is fine.....the story is the problem, It is rare to see a story about the positive side of farang/bar girl relationships, They all seem to be about the gullible farang and the callous BG playing on a farangs emotions. While this does happen with some of the girls, it is not as prevalent as these books make it out to be. As I said though...this genre of story will sell more books than the other type.

What worries me is that people who dont know better will read it and take it as gospel that all BG's operate in the same way as portrayed in the book.

Why not write a book about a Thai BG who has had her heart broken by the many lying farangs that promise her the earth and deliver nothing, the endless times she has endured the fat drunken farang sweating over her in hope that one day that special man will find her and take her away, the weeks she has spent waiting for the letter or phone call that never came, the pressure she is under to support her fatherless child and family at home, the nights she cried herself to sleep when she made the choice to become a BG, You could write about how she changed from a sweet and naive Isan girl to the cynical, suspicious BG. Hey you could put a twist on the end and have her commit suicide because driven by shame she turns to drugs or alcohol to compensate for her lifestyle and in the end death seems to be the only option left.

You could do it from the clients point of view of how he stayed in her room with her pretending to be broke and living off her earnings till it was time to continue on his trip to Australia from Europe, or return home to his wife and kids in the US.

How he conned her and told her that he would return and make things better for her, and it was alright not to use a condom because after all he loved her and he would be gone by the time she found out that he was HIV+

Regards your identity......In a forum where trolling is prevalent, I would think that without credentials most would be suspicious in the circumstances.

the weeks she has spent waiting for the letter or phone call that never came

What was that quote in 'Little Britain'....

"An Actor's life is arduous and tough. Hours spent sitting by the phone waiting for it to ring"

Edited by The_Moog

I myself, the person who gave me a copy and the people I gave a copy to, enjoyed the book enormeously. It is absolutely real and I am gratefull to the autor.

Since 'Parfume' of Patrick Süsskind, there was no book I could leave alone before finishing it.

I speak for many when I thank Stephan.

This book gives such an accurate picture of a reality that it will survive in time.

Thanks, thanks, thanks!

Well, now that we have Mr. Leather here, i'd like to ask: What was the reacton of some of the "charchter models" you used in the book - the real life "Big Ron" for example (from Jools unless i am mistaken...) - how did they feel about their personalities in a novel such as yours ?

4p

Pretty cool to have someone writing on the Forum who might actually be fairly central to the theme.

...most people just totally ignore us.

I was just thinking the same. If it's really him, he's coming down where all we commoners dwell and taking an interest and not just lounging in his walnut panneled den smoking cigars.

Exactly. Nice to have him on the team- Exile and Fart could show a little more grace !. We talk enough about Thaksin, and I sincerely doubt he'd have the balls (or interest) to face-off with us.

I once got into an internet disagreement with Asian writer Nury Vittachi (he writing anonymously) on a Hong Kong board. He sent me a free package of several of his books, inscribed :"I always appreciate well-thought out critique " - implying mine wasn't ! ha ha. I had to agree with him after i'd read them properly.

Edited by The_Eye_Of_Sauron

Why should we show more grace? I don't like his book. That is my opinion and it is my right to say so here.

At least I have the balls to say so to the writers 'face' as it were and am not patronising him by being sycophantic. I'm sure he is man enough to realise that not everyone likes his books.

Exile and Fart could show a little more grace !.

although an avid reader i haven't read this book and have refrained from making any comments on the quality or lack of quality of the writing , i have just taken a couple of good natured pot shots. (one at a glaring typo/spelling mistake , and the other at some self-publicity).

i also welcome the possibly talented wordsmith to this forum.

due to the discussion here , should i see the book on the shelves at the bookshop where i purchase my books , i may very well be tempted to rescue it from a dusty fate.

Thai BG who has had her heart broken by the many lying farangs that promise her the earth and deliver nothing, the endless times she has endured the fat drunken farang sweating over her in hope that one day that special man will find her and take her away, the weeks she has spent waiting for the letter or phone call that never came, the pressure she is under to support her fatherless child and family at home, the nights she cried herself to sleep when she made the choice to become a BG, You could write about how she changed from a sweet and naive Isan girl to the cynical, suspicious BG. Hey you could put a twist on the end and have her commit suicide because driven by shame she turns to drugs or alcohol to compensate for her lifestyle and in the end death seems to be the only option left.

yes , lets all have a good cry over the poor bar girls , quick... pass the kleenex.

why not write about the intense pressure and acute stress felt by the central issaan character as she struggles on her back trying to make enough to support three mobile phones , her amphetamine and alcohol habit and her penchant for expensive brand name shoes , juggling hans,harry and hank as their trips to thailand overlap , how to fit in enough time to give her motorcycle driver some sack time to pay off her account.

the day of the innocent poor girl is long gone.

these days they are canny savvy streetwise players. save your sympathy for the aids sufferers ,the orphans and the real poor of this country. they need your help more.

there is so much more to this country than bars and the hackneyed stereotypes that mostly inhabit that world on a regular basis.

Edited by taxexile